Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Duggars Say I Do

...if Sierra is such a good friend of Anna's, why didn't she help plan her wedding?

When did they become friends?  Maybe not until after Anna married Sumggar?  And when did Sierra suddenly become a wedding planner?  That might also have happened after Anna got married.

Oh, no.  No, no no no no no no!  Josh's wedding singing was unspeakably awful and embarassing!  How could Anna look at him with a straight face?

And yet another re-enactment!  I don't get the appeal of doing these over and over.  

Thank god for the mute button.      

• Love 2

I think Josh and Anna have really developed a solid relationship. Nice to see!

Jessa and Bin just want to hump all day...very obvious they are chronically heated up for eachother. Not a bad thing...just hope they can survive once the lust dies down a bit.

Jill and Dullard are probably very happy but they look weak as a couple and dull. They have no spark of anything.

• Love 4

Although I do understand what you're saying, it could have been BS, but after thinking about it she may have been an unexpected arrival. Let's think about this. Jessa only had 3 months to prepare the wedding and the bridesmaids probably only had 8- 10 weeks prior knowledge of the event.  She may have originally invited the Indonesian girl to be a bridesmaid but then had to sit back and wait 3-4 weeks to see if the girl could actually make it. In the meantime, she probably ordered a dress in the girls' size (just to be prepared in case the girl showed up) and then arranged the programs before getting a final answer from the girl. We have no idea what this girl had to do to make this trip: arrange for time off of work, get her husband to agree, (if she's married) or wait for her parents' approval, maybe she needed to arrange babysitters, (if she has kids) and then there's the dreaded cost of the ticket to fly from Indonesia to Arkansas, or maybe there was an ill relative involved she didn't want to leave. So yeah it could've been BS, but she could have been an unexpected arrival. 

Yeah, these are good points. I also remember now that Jennifer's name WASN'T in the program, so I kept getting really confused when people said she was a bridesmaid. So I guess this finally solves the mystery of why she wasn't in the program.

....Dunno where Bin scrounged up an extra groomsman though  :)

I think these recrap (love that term) shows are TLC's idea. They seem to do them a lot. Last season of Sister Wives was loaded with them. The reality (pun intended) of it is that people's lives are just not interesting enough to support long term tv shows without manufacturing events and doing 'recaps'. 

• Love 1

I can't wait to see the gems Boob picks out for Jordyn, Jenny and Josie. He sure knows how to pick the good ones.

I'm thinking Jennifer will be Jessa 2.0. She is already a very pretty child, and seems over this entire dog and pony show. She'll find her own guy (hopefully educated) and threaten to elope if JB doesn't approve.

It tickles me when we heard Jenny repeatedly say a few seasons ago  that she hates pink, but they still put her in pink dresses, like this episode. Wonder which of the J'slaves picks out her clothes, or maybe the family is already trying to beat that subversiveness out of her.

• Love 2

My question is why do they even need a "wedding planner"? They aren't serving real food, don't have chairs or tables for guests, no music etc. How hard can it be when there is only the ceremony and ice cream to look forward to?

• Love 10

This. This right here. Josh and Anna have inside jokes as a couple. That joke that nobody else in the room gets but you and your clownish husband. Your friend. Your cut up partner. Your buddy. Stuff that isn't funny to anyone but you two.

Jill and Derrick have no inside jokes.

To be fair, Josh and Anna have been married for six years, while Jill and Derick have been together barely a year? It makes sense that a couple gets more comfortable around each other and knows each other better the longer they've been together.

Yeah but Ben and Jessa also do inside humor and laugh together. Jill seems so serious. I wonder if she laughs at much of anything. 

• Love 4

It tickles me when we heard Jenny repeatedly say a few seasons ago  that she hates pink, but they still put her in pink dresses, like this episode. Wonder which of the J'slaves picks out her clothes, or maybe the family is already trying to beat that subversiveness out of her.

I find it sad rather than amusing. It's really difficult to have your feelings and preferences invalidated or ignored by the people who are closest to you. She also seems so sad much of the time, and she's only 7 years old.

• Love 6

There were parts of the episode that I thought were interesting but it felt like this was way too soon to be doing a review of Duggar weddings - we've seen them over the past two seasons. I was most interested in Josh and Anna's commentary and completely fast forwarded Jim Bob and Michelle's vow renewal.  It was interesting to hear how Josh and Anna actually bought used and made a small budget go far. Anna's family was so resourceful. I thought that their wedding was nice and it seemed to have a similar budget as Jill and Jessa's weddings (even if the girls' weddings were hundreds more). I liked that Josh sang to Anna again.  It is semi-cringe worthy and I would never want my husband to serenade me but it was heartfelt.   

I'm glad that they explained that Jill was more hands off because she was supporting Derick and his mom during Cathy's treatment. It seemed weird that she gave the work load to everyone else when she seemed so into weddings. I thought it was interesting that the narration said that the sisters were all involved in making the wedding the best it could be for Jill and Derick when the clips show that Jana was really the one that stepped up and did the work.    

Edited by Lilytiger
  • Love 3

I thought it was interesting that they SAID the sisters were so involved but couldn't come up with a clip or actual example other than Jana. I thought that was some CYA. But I did like knowing why Jill did seem to simply disappear, and it did make sense.

I've always like Josh and Anna's wedding. And the expression on Anna's face when John David pulls his stunt about the ring is priceless. And you could tell most of the audience didn't appreciate it, either.

• Love 4
Jill seems so serious. I wonder if she laughs at much of anything.

I think Jill has a really basic sense of humor -- slapstick, for example, would probably appeal to her, whereas some of the other girls -- Jessa, for example -- might have a more sophisticated, dryer sense of humor. Jill just seems younger and less sophisticated in general. 

I've always like Josh and Anna's wedding.

I have, too. She looked lovely and they both seemed really, truly happy. And yes, Josh's serenade was cringeworthy, but I think he tried really hard... 

• Love 3

I can't wait to see the gems Boob picks out for Jordyn, Jenny and Josie. He sure knows how to pick the good ones.

I feel like by the era of lost girls, Boob's husband-picking days will be over. Hannie is about 10, so the absolute soonest I could see them marrying her off is in 8 years. I highly doubt the show will be around at that point, the oldest kids will be reaching their 30s and will have litters of their own. Boob is going to be pulled in a lot more directions, trying to make sure everyone is still following his rules. I think the younger girls will get away with more. (At least I hope so!)

• Love 4

I didn't catch the audience or Josh and Anna's reactions to JD forgetting the ring. He's such a clueless doofus and so this prank annoyed me, but I would have thought their circle would appreciate it, or at least not mind it, since pranks are so commonplace there. Glad to know that wasn't the case. My irrational dislike of him makes everything he does irritating to me.

...Although I will say that both Josh and JD looked pretty good on Josh's wedding day. I used to find Josh pretty attractive around 14 Kids and Counting.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

There was some light laughter - the Duggars found it funny - but there are a lot of Fundy's who believe you are in God's House and marriage is a sacrament. You play pranks in the parking lot. Not during a ceremony. You could tell John Duggar hadn't been properly "churched".

• Love 9

My question is why do they even need a "wedding planner"? They aren't serving real food, don't have chairs or tables for guests, no music etc. How hard can it be when there is only the ceremony and ice cream to look forward to?

Because it makes them sound worldly like they are something that they are not and they are soooooo busy that they need a wedding planner to get it all together.

• Love 2

One thing I noticed is Jessa always stares at Ben's mouth when he speaks. I wonder why? Does she have hearing problems? Is she trying to figure out what he's saying? It doesn't seem to be the standard adoring look.

Here's a theory. A good friend from college told me when she was dating her future husband - and they were in a group where he might be talking for a bit, she found herself not really listening. She didn't know what he'd said because she'd just been watching his mouth move the whole time. She said she was really turned on by just that. To be clear, not to the point where "righteous desires" were aroused - she just found his mouth really sexy.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

Sierra was lucky that Cathy's boss bailed her out by footing the bill to buy new ice cream. Anna's church ladies did a much better job with her wedding.

The younger girls stand a much better chance of marrying a more mainstream Christian guy. By that point Boob and Michelle will be too old and tired to crack the whip over courtship rules.

• Love 1

When did they become friends?  Maybe not until after Anna married Sumggar?  And when did Sierra suddenly become a wedding planner?  That might also have happened after Anna got married.

Also, didn't Anna have her wedding in her own home state? Would anyone *pay* to bring Sierra on board?

One thing I noticed is Jessa always stares at Ben's mouth when he speaks. I wonder why? Does she have hearing problems? Is she trying to figure out what he's saying? It doesn't seem to be the standard adoring look.

Some people have that habit, including me. I can't keep my eyes from drifting back to the mouth. Eye contact is difficult. Maybe it's because my eyes are drawn to the moving object, I don't know.
  • Love 2

I didn't really understand why Josh and Anna's wedding invitations were 2 different kinds. I know it was to save money, but was one set more fancy/more expensive than the other set?

I also liked Josh and Anna's wedding and reception better than Jill and Jessa's cheap-o version.

Josh's singing was pretty decent, imo. However, I thought it was awkward that he sang to Anna during their wedding -- I'm not a fan of that.

I felt bad for Jinger. She said her relationship with her best friend, Jessa, will never be the same. Why must it change when the girl's get married? That had no bearing on my relationships with my best friends when they got married before me. I hate that for Jinger.

Of all the couples during the questionnaire, Jill and Derick really are not in sync with each other. They're almost uncomfortable to watch. You could tell Jill was getting frustrated that she and Derick couldn't come together and answer one question the same; she seemed a little annoyed with him too. Poor Derick, Jill must be not a lot of fun to be married to.

Josh and Anna have a great relationship. They have fun together and are an excellent fit for each other. I think Jessa and Ben will develop into something similar.

I think I'm the odd man out. I didn't much care for Marjorie's OTT intense performance. It felt like a performance to me and not exactly sincere, but that's me. I liked seeing Josiah much more just talking with Josh.

I'm guessing they bought kits that you could print up, and they didn't have enough of one kind?

I'll admit I really am fond of Josh and Anna. In so many ways they remind me of my husband and me. Except we are 180 degrees from, well, you know, what they are fighting for politically, but details, details....

• Love 1

Marjorie did indeed seem to be putting on a performance.  It was like watching a junior high talent night skit.  It's what she knows and at least it's different from complete awkwardness in front of the camera.

• Love 4

Josh said that for weeks he and Anna would go shopping and attack the clearance isles there they found the invitations but they were different. I guess they didn't think to order them pre-printed. I would think by they time they printed them and used a bunch of ink in the process it would have been a lot cheaper to have had them printed. 

Speaking of wedding invitations we can look forward to perhaps some professional looking ones if the Mariah/Masiah wedding becomes a reality. Josiah can get them done on his own if he has indeed learned anything from his son-to-be father in law. Poor Josh will be bumped from his job. :(

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

Jill and Derick were awesome together in Nepal and it's like some kind of switch flipped when Derick returned to Arkansas. I liken it to having a vacation fling and realizing you have nothing to talk about once you're back in the real world.

I don't think Jill is a bad person, she's just grown up being the perfect goody two-shoes. It's hard to have an intimate, genuine relationship when you're always on your best behavior.

• Love 11

I think these recrap (love that term) shows are TLC's idea. They seem to do them a lot. Last season of Sister Wives was loaded with them. The reality (pun intended) of it is that people's lives are just not interesting enough to support long term tv shows without manufacturing events and doing 'recaps'. 

LOL  I thought I saw re-craps. I need more coffee but re-craps pretty much sums up what they make us watch.

• Love 2

Marjorie did indeed seem to be putting on a performance.  It was like watching a junior high talent night skit.  It's what she knows and at least it's different from complete awkwardness in front of the camera.

Maybe she is worldly enough to know that reality TV is all fake.  So it is all acting anyway.

• Love 5

Jill annoys me so much. She has got to be the most boring Duggar. I'll bet they never have sex (well unless trying to make another blessing).  She and DerrickDuggar are honestly so weird around each other.  

Out of all the couples, I have never seen a real kiss.  It's crazy.  That stupid closed mouth peck on the lips- always.  What is up with that?

Justin was the highlight of the show for sure.

Is Sierra Bugeyed crazy woman sleeping with a TLC producer or what?  And she has tons of kids.  Why doesn't she bring them over to play brides (yuck) with the Duggar kids?

Marjorie did seem to be playing a role.  Maybe she thinks she's in another musical. Josiah almost seemed a bit out of place when he came out with her.  She seems a stark contrast - but who knows.  

Jim Bob really was turning on the yuck factor - talking once again about what turns him on.  His creepy factor was really up there.

I thought Jill's comment about her father taking invitations to conferences and passing them out was interesting. He didn't want anyone to "be left out" but these were clearly people that they couldn't think of in advance, or people they werent close enough to that they knew well enough to mail to their home.

This is what I was saying about Jim Bob trying to find mates for his children. Yes, on the surface they appear to be big wigs. But really, after you crack the surface, they are often Lower B and even C list speakers at a lot of these conferences. I'm not talking about something like a ladies lunch that gets filmed - I'm talking about the big political and cultural events that still shut Jim Bob out all these years later.

Because in the end, he and his family are still kind of country bumpkin people. Yes, a lot of people have this, but they also have their polished, professional side as well. Their children are not well spoken, they cannot, with exception of Josh, command an audience on their own, they are not musically talented, or published writers (ghost writers aside.). They have a TV show, but no real independent ministry.

Thus, you get suitors like Derick and Ben - and now Marjorie. People who are perfectly decent, kind people. People who are local. But not the calibre of people Jim Bob thought he'd get. Those people aren't even coming to the wedding. (They'd tell us if they did - ie., Kirk Cameron. This culture is all about cross pollination.)

Edited by GEML
  • Love 6

I thought Jill's comment about her father taking invitations to conferences and passing them out was interesting. He didn't want anyone to "be left out" but these were clearly people that they couldn't think of in advance, or people they werent close enough to that they knew well enough to mail to their home.

Because in the end, he and his family are still kind of country bumpkin people. Yes, a lot of people have this, but they also have their polished, professional side as well. Their children are not well spoken, they cannot, with exception of Josh, command an audience on their own, they are not musically talented, or published writers (ghost writers aside.). They have a TV show, but no real independent ministry.

Country bumpkin indeed. I think it's beyond tacky and rude to "pass out" an invitation to your daughter's wedding at a conference. "Oh, I guess we forgot about you when we mailed the invitations. Here - take this one. Hope to see you there.." Good grief.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 7

Couldn't agree more about passing out invitations at a conference.  And other people get to see that "The Smith family got an invite and we didn't."  SO tacky and SO hurtful.

What is up with Sierra baking and playing with the little girls?  Doesn't she have her own brood of small kids at home she should be giving her attention to?  I am guessing girlfriend luvs her time on camera.

• Love 7

There are a lot of people like Sierra in Fundy world. Not unlike Michelle, actually. As long as she doesn't REALLY work outside the home, or views what she's doing as "helping out a friend" or just "picks up a little money" by doing things like "cooking Nana's brownies" she's not working. She's still a stay at home mom. Only she's never home. And there's always a teenage girl from church or something you can get to watch your children. (I used to be the teenager.)

• Love 3
Yes, on the surface they appear to be big wigs. But really, after you crack the surface, they are often Lower B and even C list speakers

It also gave me pause when the crowd erupted in applause after the minister announced at Jessa and Binjermin's wedding that they wanted to share their first kiss in private. I'm sure some portion of the fundy world looks down on the famewhore, dog-and-pony-show aspect of the whole thing. And I'm not deluding myself into believing that the Kellers aren't as wack-a-doodle as the rest of them, but they seem to be hard-working people without much of a pot to piss in, and I wonder if it rubs them the wrong way that the Duggars have become notorious simply on the basis of their procreative capabilities.

I've always been horrible with children, I don't think I would have survived in Fundieland, lol. What do girls do who don't like kids? How did Jessa avoid getting stuck with childcare duties?

They pray for a heart for children. I think everyone has a certain amount of childcare duties. Jessa had her buddy team, and she did a lot of schoolwork with the kids.

• Love 1