Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Snatch Game

• Start Topic

It's too bad that Ginger went with the food thing, because she absolutely 100% did not need it. Her Adele was hilarious. While she was playing the character as a bit dumb, she was actually displaying tons of wit and intelligence as a performer. It was like she felt she needed extra insurance though - and I have to say RuPaul has reacted pretty positively over the years to food gags by bigger girls. I thought Kennedy's Little Richard was pretty one-note, but it was a brave choice and paid off. I wish that Ginger had been the sole winner though, perhaps with an honorable mention or something for Kennedy.

• Love 2

Well, this episode has made some of my friends drop the season from their queue of shows to watch. The Snatch Game is usually what separates the winners from the losers and as they put it 'Just fucking crown Ginger already if the rest are going to be this bad'.

I have to say, this season has definitely not won me over. Earlier seasons usually only had one, two at most, queens who would really warrant being on a 'Top 10 Most Blah Drag Race Contestants' list but this season could easily populate the entire list because they just that incredible blah. When someone as talentless as Miss Fame is a real contender for the season it just ain't going anywhere.

• Love 2

Katya's conversation with Fame reminded me that we haven't actually seen much of her Katya character. I love her, but I really want to see more of that run-of-the-mill Russian bisexual transvestite hooker.

And Max...damn it. I like Max a lot, but it's hard to defend her choice when there are five previous seasons of Snatch Game as examples of who wins and who sashays on that particular challenge. I definitely didn't think this would be the week she'd be out.

• Love 2

Max bombed big time too.  It might have been a better choice to do Phi Phi O'Hara if you're going to do a drag queen.  Phi Phi  had a lot more memorable one liners in Season 4.

I think Max has stage chops, but might be one of those types that needs a script (he is also oddly prudish for a drag queen). To me Snatch Game is less about impersonation than being in the moment and being prepared in a way that allows you to seize opportunities to be funny. A queen like Ginger is a natural for this kind of thing because she thinks on her feet and has an arsensal of quips and reads stored in her brain. The winner has never been a queen who merely looks like her celeb and gives funny answers when asked for them. A touch of the absurd helps as well. 

• Love 3

Alyssa Edwards reacts to Violet portraying her in classic Alyssa fashion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvAcoBGxkN0

Alyssa, total class act as always. As someone who is not a Violet fan, her portrayal of Alyssa did raise my estimation of her. Not because it was really good, it definitely earned being safe and no more, but because she threw it together quickly after scrapping her original choice and still had a grasp of everything she needed to do. Still not the best sense of humor or comic timing, but she didn't flatline at all.

• Love 3

Violet really impressed me with her Alyssa. She had some lost opportunities (I didn't hear her make use of good Alyssa catch phrases like yes GAWD and bitch, sit yo ass down and shut the hell up, bitch), but she really had a few good things. I laughed out loud when she guffawed at her own joke, and clapped along when she gave incredulous looks about totally benign things. I didn't like this queen at first but she's getting better and better.

• Love 3

If Max's claim is true that RuPaul asked her to sing, then why did she explain to the panel why she was singing? And fumblingly apologize?

It's like the newspaper cover she ripped herself to fetch more on eBay. She didn't care that that might hurt Fame. All she cared is that she got her moment.

And quite frankly, she done already done had herses.

Edited by taicraven
  • Love 2

Trixie was told before filming that she couldn't do Anne Frank as she had originally planned. Kennedy probably planned to do Little Richard all along.

Caveat:  I was not a real Trixie fan.  I've been behind Katya since the contestants were announced and jumped on Team Violet as soon as she walked into the workroom for the first time.  

But I was warming up to Trixie after the bearded runway because I thought both her concept and execution were amazing, so I was sorry to see her go.  No longer.

Anybody who actually has to be told they can't do this is someone that is lost to me.  I can't even imagine how one would go about preparing a character and "jokes" with this choice for Snatch Game.  Yes, it's been 70 years.  It's still too soon.

I'm hoping that MKD comes back, she hooked me with the Glamazon Airlines ep.

I've admired Fame's fashion sense, but I've really grown to like her as a person.  That scene with Katya and Fame about their addiction fears is probably one of the realest things that's even been on a reality show.  As a recovering addict, I want to hug both of them!

• Love 3

Holy shit did Trixie want to do Anne Frank?????? That is some TERRIBLE judgment right there. Okay, I haven't seen Untucked yet but Max truly deserved to lipsync because her Sharon was desperately boring. Sharon was as sharp and wicked as a razor, that was a fucking insult to Sharon. She rocks. She was a trillion times funnier than anyone on season 7 that's for sure. I do agree with Mark's comment about the snake eating its own tail though. Doing another drag queen seems lazy to me. It wasn't a massive epic fail but I was not giving it any LOLz or even my usual big goofy grin. Sad.

As much as I don't like Kennedy I thought she killed it as Little Richard. Her runway, while not my fave, was probably one of the best looks I've seen from her. I thought Violet's Alyssa was pretty good. I preferred Violet to Ginger who ended up winning, she didn't deserve to tie IMHO.

I am not sure why Miss Fame keeps getting the get out of jail free card. I suspect it is because her lipsync would suck. However, she is still one of the most beautiful queens I have ever seen and she kills it on the runway. I think it is an editing thing but Katya's sobbing with Fame came across as very staged. I feel sure this was a genuine moment. Could terrible editing be to blame for the sudden downturn on this show?

Anyway, I'm sticking to my guns. Violet for the win, kill those bitches sweetie.

• Love 2

This for REAL!!  I just loved her and I also hope they choose her but I have seen the polls and Trixie will probably be coming back.  I like her too, actually for the Glamazonian Airlines ep.  That was in MOHO, by far the very best skit they have ever done on this show.  Also, off-topic, I realized after seeing Merle, why I never liked Merle.

As much as I agree that Miss Fame's Italian accent was HORRENDOUS, Violet really had no place to criticize it because hers was just as bad in the workroom when she demonstrated for Ru. If she had decided to go through with her Donatella Versace impersonation, I can't imagine it would have gone over well. Heh, she should probably be thanking Miss Fame.

• Love 3

I am not sure why Miss Fame keeps getting the get out of jail free card. I suspect it is because her lipsync would suck. However, she is still one of the most beautiful queens I have ever seen and she kills it on the runway. I think it is an editing thing but Katya's sobbing with Fame came across as very staged. I feel sure this was a genuine moment. Could terrible editing be to blame for the sudden downturn on this show?

Katya posted on her Tumblr the next day that the conversation with Fame was "100% as genuine as it could be with reality TV cameras in front of you" (paraphrased.) The queens don't have a way out of being filmed interacting with one another, so I think that moment was genuine - although any other circumstances making that interaction public would have been suspect.

Ginger and Kennedy were the clear winners of the challenge, but I admire Katya's ability to play a soft butch woman without seeming like a man. Very few queens could do that.

I think doing any other reality TV character - especially one from the reality show you're on, RuPaul's Drag Race, for Snatch Game - is sort of copping out.  The character is pre-digested. There are plenty of worthwhile personae who haven't been impersonated: Roseanne Barr, Lil' Kim, Mariah Carey, Courtney Love, Barbra Streisand, Rosie O'Donnell, Christina Aguilera, Madonna (not counting Manila on all stars), Ricki Lake, Boy George (since the list has been opened to femme men), and the list goes on and on. There are others who have been impersonated on Snatch Game, but inadequately: Fran Drescher, Nicki Minaj, Jennifer Lopez, Whitney Houston (RIP), Amy Winehouse (RIP), Diana Ross, Paris Hilton, etc. And then there are others who should never be attempted: Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry...

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 1
Violet really impressed me with her Alyssa. She had some lost opportunities (I didn't hear her make use of good Alyssa catch phrases like yes GAWD and bitch, sit yo ass down and shut the hell up, bitch)

Violet is growing in my estimation.  I would not mind her winning. I would have liked her, however, to point at Donatella and say "Why you look so ORANGE?" Also, she did a good job of imitating Alyssa's, ahem, lack of a chin.

Kennedy's runway dress was sublime.  She did look a little greasy, or something, though.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT RU SAYS WHEN HIS VIDEO CLIP IS INTRODUCED ON THE FLAT SCREEN TV EACH WEEK? I cannot for the life of me figure it out

• Love 1

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT RU SAYS WHEN HIS VIDEO CLIP IS INTRODUCED ON THE FLAT SCREEN TV EACH WEEK? I cannot for the life of me figure it out

Do you mean where Ru used to say "You've got She-mail?" I think the new phrase is "She done already done had herses" or something along those lines?

Did Trixie ever explain what she was hoping to do with Anne Frank?

I'm not of the opinion that her name is incompatible with humor, because I loved The Onion's article about her ghost appearing to say, "Quit reading my diary, you jerks!" But I'm trying really hard to think of a way someone could use her in Snatch Game without it being horrifying, and I'm not having any luck.

• Love 1
Ru is indeed saying, "She done already done had herses."

Thanks guys.  THAT I would have never figured out.

I forgot to say that I have had it with that yellow (it doesn't deserve to be called blonde) nylon cheapass wig that Katya wears so much.  A few weeks back, I mentioned that it looks like it came from the Adore Delano Spring Collection. Sometimes Katya dresses, I don't know, kinda old-looking. I wish she would do more with the Russian schtick.

It broke my heart when Katya was saying she's not doing that character so much on the show because it should be what she's best at, and if she fails doing that? The worst. 

• Love 1

I hadn't seen the episode before reading a few comments, but I couldn't understand how bad Maxx could be.

well holy hell. Not only was it a horrible[/] rendition of a beloved winner, but those antics on stage / steps were appalling and really needy. I found myself embarrassed for me watching it.

• Love 1

Every time Max was on screen during Snatch Game, I kept asking her, "why didn't you do Joan Crawford or Bette Davis?"  She was half way there with the outfit anyway.

• Love 4

I forgot to say that I have had it with that yellow (it doesn't deserve to be called blonde) nylon cheapass wig that Katya wears so much.

She reminds of the cheap, Russian women I know who probably used to be whores.

She reminds of the cheap, Russian women I know who probably used to be whores.

Which is exactly what Katya (or more properly Yekaterina Petrovna) Zamolodchikova is - a Russian former prostitute.

• Love 3

I do notice that the people who came in with characters haven't really used them much. Besides Katya, Max hasn't done anything with the whole 'I came from Oz!' schtick he had in his Meet The Queens. And last season Adore Delano's 'I'm a fucking mermaid!' never made it out of Meet The Queens either, besides having a few clearly Ariel inspired looks.

• Love 1

Trixie had said in Whatcha Packin' that she was going to be Ru for Snatch Game, so that must have been the decision after Anne Frank was vetoed?

What's the point of the #bringbackmyqueen if this happened months ago? Just buzz? It will be funny if the #1 votegetter isn't the returning queen. Their fans would be mad, which kinda makes me wish Pearl was in the running for that, not because I don't like Pearl, but to see her fans flip out.

• Love 2

I've realized this episode that I love Violet Chachki. I know her acting chops are hit or miss, but her looks are clever, varied, and committed and I think she's funny as a person. She seems very serious and committed to drag but also like she doesn't take herself too seriously. 

I also love Ginger Minj, even if she is a bit sour about the competitors. Her wit reminds me of Darienne Lake last season, who I always felt was underrated as a comedienne. 

• Love 4

Which is exactly what Katya (or more properly Yekaterina Petrovna) Zamolodchikova is - a Russian former prostitute.

Yes, I know. Which is why her looks are cheap. Being compared to Tawny Kitaen in a Whitesnake video was probably the crowning achievement of her career thus far.

• Love 2

I've realized this episode that I love Violet Chachki. I know her acting chops are hit or miss, but her looks are clever, varied, and committed and I think she's funny as a person. She seems very serious and committed to drag but also like she doesn't take herself too seriously.

I also love Ginger Minj, even if she is a bit sour about the competitors. Her wit reminds me of Darienne Lake last season, who I always felt was underrated as a comedienne.

You do realize this is a cardinal sin out there on the internets. We are allowed to like any combination of the thin, young, pretty queens - or any combination of the "bitter" old queens - but cherry picking from both groups is strictly forbidden (although Katya may be included with either group)! I have yet to learn my lesson either. I like Violet because she has spunk, Ginger because she's funny as hell and Katya because she's so out there she orbits the planet.

• Love 4

I have to say, it felt like one of the stronger Snatch Games. Usually there are one or two standouts and everyone else is awful. This one had Ginger, Kennedy, Katya and Pearl all giving really good performances. Violet did well enough. Jaidynn was okay, Fame and Max not so much. And even the ones who did poorly didn't steamroll everyone else with their shit. Season 4 is a stand out in that regard. Sharon, Chad and Willam all did really well but, man, Kenya, Phi Phi and Jiggly were so over the top awful that it eclipsed almost everything else.

Also, Pearl and Violet were cracking me up in Untucked. Violet complaining about how wet she is and Pearl being all 'That's what I slipped on! You know I almost fell because of your lubey ass!'

I definitely thought that Fame should have been in the bottom two over Jaidynn. Her Raven wasn't great but she had a much clearer concept than Fame seemed to. Ginger was terrific, her accent was very good even if the eating thing was more than a bit overdone and Kennedy! That really was hilarious. She pulled that out and it was a well deserved win. Pearl surprised me. I like her but she really put together something good for Snatch Game so good on her.

My guesses for the Big Return are either Trixie or Tempest. I'm going with a T!

• Love 5

I would have given the win to Katya. I'm not familiar with the SNL version of Suze Orman, but I've watched an awful lot of the real thing and Katya had me rolling throughout. 

I thought Kennedy had made a huge mistake going with Little Richard, but I knew I'd been wrong as soon as I saw Ru doubled over laughing. Props to taking a risk. 

I had been pulling for Max lately, but can't really fault the decision to send her home, even though I preferred her lipsynch. That was just a colossal blunder. I'm also pretty over the trend of impersonating other contestants. And I don't know that America's Next Drag Superstar can possibly be such a prude. I guess I'm with Ross -- I like a little dirt on my drag queens. Speaking of, I actually enjoy Ross as a judge. It probably has more to do with my fond memories of him on Celebrity Fit Club being besties with Tina Yothers and begging for a Xanax so he could cope with Dustin Diamond, but I'm happy. All week I've been wanting to yell "Hiiiiiiiiii Miss Daisy!" at random people.

It's like Miss Fame is two different people: the charming, compassionate person in the werkroom who comforts Katya and really loves chickens, and some boring-ass queen.

Overall I thought Snatch Game brought some laughs but not enough. Give me Bianca fighting crime now. I had to rewatch all of s6 because I miss her so much. 

Edited by kellinatorjones
  • Love 4
It's like Miss Fame is two different people: the charming, compassionate person in the werkroom who comforts Katya and really loves chickens, and some boring-ass queen.

I'm trying to think of another queen who has been more interesting as a boy than in drag, but I can't. That's once thing that makes Miss Fame stand out, but for the wrong reasons.

• Love 1

OK, I'm working on some theories here.  I think Ru for some reasons wants a plus size queen, and is doing what she can got get everybody out of Ginger's way (but keeping Jaidynn in case Ginger implodes, which is looking less and less likely).  That's, in my mind, why the performance queens have been dropping like flies.  It'll be telling to see who comes back.  If it's Abs McGillicuty (Jazmine, in case you, like me, forgot she ever existed) or someone equally lame, I'm for sure right. If it's Trixie or Max (I think it'll be Trixie), and they don't sashay soon after, maybe I'm wrong.  But if Katya hits the bottom and gets sashayed, I'm definitely right, because right now, I think she's the only competition for Ginger, at least on a performance level (actually, I think she's better, but that might not matter).  I think Max basically handed her an excuse to cut her, and she jumped on it.  Max was stupid.  If you're going to do Sharon, and you know you have the look down, do it right. I think there's a way she could have done Sharon and not have been as awful as she was. Bring a fake blood capsule and bite it at some point.  Call someone a "tired ass showgirl".  I mean, she had someone there portraying a famous pageant queen, and she had another pageant queen pretending to be Little Richard.  Actually, if she'd called "Little Richard" a tired ass showgirls, I'd have died.  Anticipate the seance question, and prepare for it.  Make some joke about a raunchy seance, or that someone dead and funny was a bastard & didn't show up (or did, and misbehaved.  or whatever.  just do something).  That would have gotten her through, I think. I think it was a combination of bad preparation, relying on the look, and having to improv that did her in. 

I also think Fame is being kept around and specifically is NOT having to lipsynch because if she did, Ru would likely have no option to cut her. It sounds like she'd be especially weak.  Either she's been kept for her looks, or as fodder for later, or to make it to/close to the final and be that queen that's always there who's all look and no performance chops (I think that'll end up being Violet, and Fame will get cut before the finals.  Not to say Violet has no performance ability; I've been pleasantly surprised by her lately). 

• Love 5

Caveat:  I was not a real Trixie fan.  I've been behind Katya since the contestants were announced and jumped on Team Violet as soon as she walked into the workroom for the first time.  

But I was warming up to Trixie after the bearded runway because I thought both her concept and execution were amazing, so I was sorry to see her go.  No longer.

Anybody who actually has to be told they can't do this is someone that is lost to me.  I can't even imagine how one would go about preparing a character and "jokes" with this choice for Snatch Game.  Yes, it's been 70 years.  It's still too soon.

I've admired Fame's fashion sense, but I've really grown to like her as a person.  That scene with Katya and Fame about their addiction fears is probably one of the realest things that's even been on a reality show.  As a recovering addict, I want to hug both of them!

Trixie shouldv'e checked with Sharon about how Nazi references/jokes generally land. I hope she doesn't come back, never saw the sparkle there, but she probbly will.  I got the impression Trixie was the favorite and Pearl was halfway out the door when she lip synched her way back in. 

I'm trying to think of another queen who has been more interesting as a boy than in drag, but I can't. That's once thing that makes Miss Fame stand out, but for the wrong reasons.

I'd say Trixie was that way, India Ferrah as well(though there it's more like she's boring out of drag and even more boring in). But it's pretty notable with Fame because she's made it this far and is clearly getting cut a lot of slack. And while I originally really liked how she painted her face, after week after week of the same makeup i'm realizing she looks less current model and more 45 year old ex-model who had too many facelifts like Janice Dickinson in make up. Maybe too much facetape, sometimes I wonder if she's capable of blinking.

• Love 1

Adele and Little Richard cracked me up this episode. I think Ginger is being set up for the win at this point. Pearl was funny for once so she can stay awhile. Violet's Alyssa Edwards was also pretty great. Miss Fame is being kept around definitely as fodder to be eliminated later. Her Donatella was one of the worst Snatch Game characters ever in the history of RPDR. I was so embarrassed for her I actually cringed at how uncomfortable it was when her jokes fell flat.

• Love 2
Her Donatella was one of the worst Snatch Game characters ever in the history of RPDR. I was so embarrassed for her I actually cringed at how uncomfortable it was when her jokes fell flat.

THIS! is why she should have been in the bottom 2 instead of Max.  Yes lawd Max was terrible as Sharon but Max, IMO, has more potential than Miss Fame.  Max has both a strong fashion and performance skills while Fame....well doesn't.  And while I'm on a rant Miss Fame and her stupid chickens yes she makes me giggle a bit but she is not the most engaging or charismatic queen this season.  Katya, Ginger, heck even Violet have funnier talking heads than her.  I don't hate her but I do believe she has well over stayed her welcome.  No qween who puts so much importance on looks should be hitting that runway with her facial tape showing. 

I would be happy with Ginger winning.  Despite her shady attitude during Untucked she does have the performance chops , good makeup skills, and ok fashion sense.  So enh her for the win with Katya as M.C. I guess *shrug*

Edited by Dirtybubble

Regarding queens who were more interesting out of drag - I'd add Tesmpest Dujour. Also, Phoenix from season 3 (who seemed like an extremely unlikely drag queen), and Honey Mahogany - his story about his parents sending him to Ethiopia when he came out of the closet was a lot more interesting than anything he did in drag.

And as much as I loved Ben de la Creme in drag, I'd say I found him more interesting as a guy, too. 

I think Max basically handed her an excuse to cut her, and she jumped on it.  Max was stupid.  If you're going to do Sharon, and you know you have the look down, do it right. I think there's a way she could have done Sharon and not have been as awful as she was. Bring a fake blood capsule and bite it at some point.  Call someone a "tired ass showgirl".  I mean, she had someone there portraying a famous pageant queen, and she had another pageant queen pretending to be Little Richard.  Actually, if she'd called "Little Richard" a tired ass showgirls, I'd have died.  Anticipate the seance question, and prepare for it.  Make some joke about a raunchy seance, or that someone dead and funny was a bastard & didn't show up (or did, and misbehaved.  or whatever.  just do something).  That would have gotten her through, I think. I think it was a combination of bad preparation, relying on the look, and having to improv that did her in. 

I also think Fame is being kept around and specifically is NOT having to lipsynch because if she did, Ru would likely have no option to cut her. It sounds like she'd be especially weak.  Either she's been kept for her looks, or as fodder for later, or to make it to/close to the final and be that queen that's always there who's all look and no performance chops (I think that'll end up being Violet, and Fame will get cut before the finals.  Not to say Violet has no performance ability; I've been pleasantly surprised by her lately). 

When Max said he'd just come back from a seance, I was hoping he'd add, "I was trying to revive my career."

As for Fame, I've seen a lot of people anticipate that she'll be terrible at lip syncing. Is that just based on her not being much of a performer, or is there more to it? Do her drag shows not involve any dancing or lip syncing?

• Love 1

Do her drag shows not involve any dancing or lip syncing?

She doesn't do drag shows. She's said on show that Drag Race is her first time performing. And this episode's Untucked she was worried about lipsynching because she didn't have a routine thought up for the song and forgot all it's lyrics. So maybe she'll pull it out and turn out to be the untrained Latrice Royale of fashion queens, but all signs point to 'complete lip sync train wreck'(which honestly would be in keeping with this season's lip syncing anyway, which is mostly around the same level of energy as Honey Mahogany vs Vivienne Pinay).

Edited by snakenax