Type keyword(s) to search

Paige Matthews

On 24/03/2018 at 1:06 PM, Eva Marie said:

Boy, do I disagree with this one...but I've already argued this point plenty elsewhere. I actually think that a properly vulnerable and emotional actor could've salvaged this mess of a story. Julian sold HIMSELF as a hot product, but not the story. Now that I've seen enough of him in other things - I verify my initial verdict of his acting as correct: he can be really great in his limited range, but getting him to emote or drop the super-confidence is hopeless business.

I agree on the 3 original actresses being amazing and putting life into the most pedestrian writing. As wonky as Rose was - she still managed it occasionally as well.  She did it just often enough as not to sink the show.

I don't recall anything about emoting. The majority of Cole's emotion, as a demon, predicated on his anger and, in season 5, psychotic state of mind. He sold that very well. 

I wasn't really commenting on the complexities or intricacies of an actor conveying the deeper layers of character (this is Charmed, it aint that deep) but rather the actor's ability to be convincing. He wasn't wooden, he didn't sound like was reading off an autocue just off camera (looking at you Drew Fuller). So I find it hard to criticise McMahon for any fault with his emotional range as the role of Cole very rarely required it. When it did, he conveyed it well enough that it wasn't terrible. Maybe the weakest part of his performance, but still not an awful one. 

Diminishing his talents to "selling himself as a hot product" as though he only has looks and zero talent is disingenuous to the skills he does possess. Most actors have a weakness somewhere. It's especially unfair when you see all of the "hot" guest stars they hire who can't even say one word without sounding like a child in a school play. Actually no that's insulting to children. 

Edited by Lost
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2019 at 4:01 PM, joanne3482 said:

Red and Red. Rose looks striking with that brick red hair she'd do. 

I liked the red. It softened her quite a bit. 

Edited by libgirl2