Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Heart Of Gold

• Start Topic

So...ok. 

Zelena was Marion since she got back from the EF? How does she know how to act just like Marion? How was she able to fool people? How long was this her plan? Did I miss something? 

Well, this did make me kind of like Robin, so that's something. I still don't like him a lot, and I don't get how him being a bartender and Marion being a barmaid has anything to do with the Robin Hood mythos, but whatever. At least he had some actual personality in this one. Altogh I still think his "code" is just something he tells himself to make himself feel better.

No CaptainSwan? Party foul! 

I don't know about Zelena being back. On the one hand, I enjoy her evil cackling performance, but on the other hand, her motivations are so freaking weak! At least now I guess she has some kind of real revenge motivation. 

Hi Will! Still need to know why your here and not with you One True Love, but its good seeing you doing your thing! 

Poor little Roland. That poor kid is going to need so much therapy. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I actually wasn't spoiled, so I was somewhat surprised when it was revealed that it was Zelena all along as Marian.  Not sure if that is a good thing yet or not, but I was surprised.  Problem is that I just feel it will be used to "redeem" Robin for being a jackass earlier, and this no doubt means that Robin/Regina is probably going to happen.  Yippee.  Not.  Still, I do like Rebecca Mader, so I'm not going to complain seeing her back and totally camping it up.  Man, if Zelena ever gets scenes wit Cruelle and Maleficent, I don't think the TV screen could handle that much ham!

Besides that, it was overall just a weird episode.  Barely barely any of the regulars besides Rumpel and Regina, and just focusing on Robin.  I did think Sean Maguire was solid and reminds me that I could probably like his version of Robin, if the writing wasn't against him all the time.  At the same time, I also thought Christie Lang was good, so I'm really bummed that Marian has gotten shafted like she has.

I get that Zelena's magical amulet makes people see her in someone else's body, but if you can see the actual Zelena through mirrors, then that is a pretty big damn flaw right there.

At least we saw Robin and Will meet for the first time.  Michael Socha still deserves more stuff to do.

• Love 4

I like how all these places ie Neal's apartment and Walsh's store have their rent paid months or a whole year in advance that no one comes to check what's going on

They could have their rent on direct deposit. Perhaps Gold topped up Neal's bank account for sentimental reasons. The guy has some serious hoarding problems, so keeping his son's appartment and perserving his stuff is something that Rumple might do. Meanwhile, Walsh actually hasn't been gone all that long. 3B took about 4 days and 4B about a week. By the time Robin and Zelena/Marian are back in New York, it's only been two weeks since Walsh disappeared. Zelena/Marian can then start paying the rent.

What confuses me abougt Neal's appartment is that it has stuff in it. What was in the moving van that Tamara brought to Storybrooke? Did she just bring her stuff and Hook? She brought nothing of Neal's stuff? Of course, she was planning on stealing his kid, so maybe the boxes were just empty. Surely, Neal taught her that a con is in the details. Empty boxes or bringing none of Neal's stuff could have been a tip-off.

Poor Marian. Girl cannot catch a break. Three separate evil queens tried to kill her in a week. One succeeded in an alternate universe, one succeeded in this universe and one tried in this world. Her husband didn't give a carp about her death at the hands of one queen or freezing by another, let's see him have a total meltdown when he finds out about the unkown final death.

• Love 5

Random thoughts:

Robin has an Emma button?

If this was a proper telenovela, Zarian would either be pregnant or falling in love with Robin. (Cackles evilly at the thought of A&E scribbling this down--but really, don't go there, show)

OnceuponaJen, your "originally a 4a plot" makes a lot of sense, and also yes to your question.

• Love 2

I am not sure how I feel about this episode. I do however like the idea that Marian has been dead for awhile now and it has been The Wicked Witch this whole time. (Even when Marian got tired into a popcicle)..

I also liked that it wasn't Robin in danger that freaked Regina out but the idea that Rumple was turning Emma dark.

Oh and I realized something....Rumes real peer is delegation.

Edited by Chaos Theory

This episode was sooo boring. No way in hell the Marian/Zelena switch wasn't a last-minute retcon. Best parts of the episode were poor Emma confronting her parents and the flashback of the CS dance.

OMG, what a boring episode! It was even more boring than I thought it would be. I tried watching the whole Zelena/Rumple hospital scene so I could get all the "let me spell out my evil plan" narration/bwahaha-ing, but I finally had to hit the fast-forward button because it was just. so. tedious and uninteresting to me.

The entire half-season has been nothing but a reconny mess.

My happy ending just may be to quit this current mess of a show once and for all. :/

Can we imprison the current authors in the script and get a new author?

Well, I don't.  But based on the discussions we've had in the Fandom thread and the Writer's thread, Nimerfro seems to be pretty enthusiastic about Swan Queen.  That scene will likely show up in at least a few tumblr posts over the next 24 hours.  It might not have been included for the suspense, but as fanservice.

Total fanservice. Can't have a Nimerfro ep without playing to his SQ crowd.

• Love 9

I kind of love it that the only phone number with an icon is Granny's (other than Regina).

Yay, Will mentioning his sister drowning continuity. But now so many more questions with him being in OZ. And was that door supposed to be from Jefferson's hat??? Is that why Will couldn't just follow Robin through?

Boo officially killing off another PoC. Marion was awesome.

• Love 3

When Regina removed Marian's heart to save her from Ingrid's spell, it wasn't dark at all, was it? That might have been a huge tip-off.

I liked Marian and Christie! I'm sorry she got knocked off in such an inauspicious way.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 6

Marian's heart was a bright, brilliant red. No spell is going to glamour a heart to look "pure" in case you are frozen and need a cover for when someone removes your heart to save your life. The Marian = Zelena thing was another one of those twists with no build up or hints which is why it's not a twist, but a retcon. 

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 23

For those interested in Robin's phone (I was), someone has helpfully screencapped:

Love how the only two contacts with pictures on Robin's phone are Regina and Granny's takeout. It weirds me out to see "David Nolan" then "Mary Margaret".

Marian's heart was a bright, brilliant red. No spell is going to glamour a heart to look "pure" in case you are frozen and need a cover for when someone removes your heart to save your life. 

Has this show ever been consistent about heart colors, though?

The Marian = Zelena thing was another one of those twists with no build up or hints which is why it's not a twist, but a retcon.

Totally agree. Just Marian acting funny in 4A or even in 4x11 would have sufficed. But nope.

For those wondering about the clover, each piece allows the wearer to glamour-spell themselves. This is how Robin looks different in Lacey, and how Zelena was able to change back in the Land Without Magic.

Edited by KingOfHearts
When Regina removed Marian's heart to save her from Ingrid's spell, it wasn't dark at all, was it?

It was glowing with redness. Which is interesting. The CGI guys may have messed up the first time, but it was also glowing pure red when Regina put it back in at the end of the 4A. The CGI guys messed up Hook's heart when it was extracted and that caused a lot of complaints from those who hate Hook and a response from Adam. So, the CGI guys brought their A-game for heart darkening for the rest of 4A.  So, after resolving the issue with one heart, you have to believe the pure redness the second time we see the second heart.

I'm sure that Adam will either be coy or dream up some magical reason for the redness if he gets asked about it. He'll probably say it had something to do with the amulet even though the heart was removed from the body wearing the amulet.

So, do we know what deal Zelena made with Rumple in exchange for the Elixir? I missed it between all the muahahaing...

Rumple isn't going to kill her, and her happy ending has to be a part of this whole deal with the Author.

• Love 3

If they do too many more of these flashback retcon things, I'm pretty sure they're going to cause some kind of rupture in the space-time continuum.  Or something.

We were getting a little something meaty with Emma, Snow and Charming actually having a *gasp* conversation and then WTH?  We're whisked off to stupid Oz again and I'm forced to see a certain annoying green face that I had really hoped and believed we were DONE with forever and not only that but it also turns out she's really Marian too!  So all that mausoleum sex was actually a-okay and I guess eventually once this overacting strumpet gets defeated there'll be lots more in the future too!  Yipee!  That had to be a huge ret-con because no way was that supposed to be Zelena with a frozen heart from Ingrid's ice cream.

So annoyed.  I have disliked a lot of plot turns over the years (mostly loved the Frozen 4A though) but never before have I been so tempted to just give it up and turn it off as I was tonight.  I don't want any more Zelena.  Even her name just makes me want to grit my teeth.

• Love 7

Admittedly only skimmed through the episode, and only to see if they could do worse than I'd expected. They succeeded. Now going to happily feed the sharks. The original Dallas still holds the award for wacko story twist / retcon, but they're getting close.

Edited by myril
  • Love 4

Blech. The wacko green creature with no sense of personal space oozes back in to

have an all you can eat buffet at the scenery. I begrudgingly acknowledge her instant face- sneering ability to make the other three goofball 4b villains look like the lightweight cheese puffs they are but she was already annoying as hell after her first line of dialogue.

The supremely moronic destruction of Robin Hood continues. (Though when given something to do other than get sleezy with Regina, Sean is really surprisingly entertaining) too bad he is still pure spooge.

The inconsistency of this whole Marian/Zelena/ Regina plotline has gone beyond snark worthy ridicule level.

Fabulous and funny line about Rumple being a pain in the ass. There should be a dozen of those each episode but that particular wit has sadly taken a serious in-show hiatus.

Something about a few rapidly passing moments kept me fleetingly interested at the same time that I was yawningly bored with most of it. It is best I look forward to the finale. Hope springs eternal that I become enamored with SOMETHING. Right now I just don't give a Rhett Butler Damn about most of them. Which is personally sad. I prefer being staunchly loyal. But jaysus, give me a lifeline ! I'm stubborn, but cripes it's like watching a train wreck. A very old train, too.

• Love 4

Only on this show would suggesting that it might not be such a bad thing to not go to extreme measures to save an evil person from dying of the consequences of his evil be a big sign that something is terribly wrong and the person saying it may not be the good person she's pretending to be. This isn't even like Rumple dying from Hook poisoning him. This is the fallout of him being a horrible person.

And since Robin felt obligated to help him so that Regina could get a happy ending, you're got to wonder what he thought that happy ending for her would be. I guess his wife turning out to be an imposter works.

I'm rather surprised that Zelena's heart was rip-outable. You'd think she'd have rigged that beforehand or even pulled a Cora and ripped it herself for safekeeping.

You could practically see all the handwaving going on.

• Love 8

It was glowing with redness. Which is interesting. The CGI guys may have messed up the first time, but it was also glowing pure red when Regina put it back in at the end of the 4A. The CGI guys messed up Hook's heart when it was extracted and that caused a lot of complaints from those who hate Hook and a response from Adam. So, the CGI guys brought their A-game for heart darkening for the rest of 4A. So, after resolving the issue with one heart, you have to believe the pure redness the second time we see the second heart.

I'm sure that Adam will either be coy or dream up some magical reason for the redness if he gets asked about it. He'll probably say it had something to do with the amulet even though the heart was removed from the body wearing the amulet.

Looks like someone has already tweeted Adam and Scott Nimerfro about it.... Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1

For those interested in Robin's phone (I was), someone has helpfully screencapped:

tumblr_nmq3yhzAVH1s9tfp9o1_1280.png

Wow Robin has lousy reception on that phone!

Also, love that the only pic is Granny's takeout!!!.. is that a pie or a burger? i can't figure it out.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

Rumple isn't going to kill her, and her happy ending has to be a part of this whole deal with the Author.

Wow! That's gullible of her... Why is every character buying into the stupid author nonsense all of a sudden?

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 3

It's a damn shame we didn't get Emma confronting her parents more. It looks like that's all we're getting because stupid Henry is never around adult supervision. That was seriously the best part about the episode because when Emma cries my black heart turns purple.

• Love 2

So glad I had no expectations of this episode. No need to table flip,it was as dull and retconny as I fully expected it to be.

So, Zelena never died. Why did Emma get her magic back?

• Love 5

Wow. I should have stopped watching back when Rumple sacrificed himself and Pan.

I was about to stop watching out boredom tonight with the Robin & Marian Show when Rumple showed up (yay) but it was all downhill straight into ret-con crazy town.

Oh, I second that!!

• Love 2

So, Zelena never died. Why did Emma get her magic back?

Wasn't some other spell Zelena cast reversed when Zelena "died"? Isn't that how Hook knew Emma should have gotten her magic back? Maybe all Emma needed to do was to believe in herself. :-p I am getting a headache trying to come up with headcanons for this show. 

• Love 5
Wasn't some other spell Zelena cast reversed when Zelena "died"? Isn't that how Hook knew Emma should have gotten her magic back?

Hook and Emma didn't know Zelena was dead until they got back. Emma ran off from the Diner before that was known and the portal was created. Hook thought that Emma's power was restored when Zelena lost the necklace. When the necklace was taken off of  her, the firey stuff as part of the time travel spell disappeared and the flying monkeys were turned back to human (Little John right before his head was lopped off by Charming).

Maybe all Emma needed to do was to believe in herself.

It was something hokey like that. Emma had to accept herself and family ant want to go home. Her power returned during her "Snow didn't recognize me at all" speech in the Vault of Things that Scare Rumple.

• Love 2

I actually really liked this episode! Surprising too since it was based on Robin but Zelena outshone him. I didn't remember Mader's acting being this good, it was fantastic! Also poor Marian. The tiein with Will was cute too.

Surely Zelena has had to have seen the broadway musical based on her life by now.

• Love 3

Let me speak for myself and a few others when I say....HUH?

I knew the Zelena reveal was coming, but...why? What even is her endgame? To make Regina suffer and take away her happy ending? Regina doesn't think she has a happy ending yet, hence the search for the Author, so what is being taken away? There were plenty of times when "Marian" was alone with Regina. Why not just shank her, then use the clover pendant to BE her and basically live her life, which was what Original Flavor Zelena wanted all along?

Not to mention all the times "Marian" could have died without Zelena somehow magically intervening to save her to own life? When Marshmallow almost stomped her? When her heart was frozen? Like I'm supposed to believe Zelena would leave her purse on the sidewalk to be snatched while she picked up Roland?

And what is her plan now? To live in domestic bliss with Robin and Roland just to keep them away from Regina? What is the point in that? Why not just kill them both and ensure Regina will never see them again?

Zelena gloating over Rumple was pretty satisfying, but it's yet again another villain who manages to get one over on him. I'm still waiting for the "heroes" to be able to do the same, for once.

The best part of this episode was seeing "Granny's Takeout" on Robin's phone.

Bring on Cruella. She's the only thing keeping me watching.

Before I forget...WHERE IS YOUR WIFE, WILL?

• Love 12

Hook and Emma didn't know Zelena was dead until they got back. Emma ran off from the Diner before that was known and the portal was created. Hook thought that Emma's power was restored when Zelena lost the necklace.

Actually, right before Emma fell through the portal, she got a phone call from David saying that Zelena died and somehow triggered the portal. In the vault, Hook told Emma "When Zelena died, all of her spells were undone, your powers should have been restored." Then it just took Emma not wanting to run away from her family and who she is, for her powers to come back.

Also, Roland was lying on the bed watching TV when Robin and Zelena were kissing. The mirror was facing away from him, so he wouldn't have been able to see into it. I'm not sure what the point of him being in that scene was.

• Love 3

After a two week break, having an episode that's almost entirely non-main characters is not at all interesting. It might not have been a bad episode if it had not completely interrupted the author storyline for a mash up of retcons and wtf-ery. I didn't even bother drinking during this episode because I knew it wouldn't help a bit.

Some random thoughts:

- I forgot how much I hate Zelena. She just goes on and on and on and on and on. I wanted to listen to her clever plan, but I was just so bored.  Shut up, Zelena!

- As dumb as it is, I'm happy that the Marian switch only occurred at the very end of the time travel stuff. I always figured they didn't have Robin address the Regina killed Marian thing in 4A because they were planning the Zelena return and if Marian was Zelena the whole time, the point is rendered somewhat moot. Now, of course, I'm just going back to thinking Robin is a huge jackass for never thinking at all about how his wife was murdered by his lover. And now that Marian's dead, her original murderer is going to raise her son. Excuse me while I go throw up.

- Marian sure got the shaft. She seemed awesome. Once again, I will point out that she got a happy ending in the book and still ended up dead. Message to villains: your author plan is hugely flawed.

- The Sheriff of Nottingham is hot.

- On Robin and his code: Marian says, "Consider the greater good and let him die." Robin replies: "It's against my code. What's wrong with you?" (not exact quotes) Wonder what his response would be if Regina said that? She was all for screwing over Anna for the greater good. I don't even necessarily object to the notion. It just irritates me that Marian is bad for suggesting it somehow.

- Soulmates = fated True Love according to Zelena. I so hate the fated mates trope. It's such lazy writing and not at all interesting dramatically.

- Why didn't Robin have his phone with him while he was out? And why would Regina need to make a choice between Robin & Emma? Why not just tell Emma what's up and form a plan to help both? I bet Emma knows people in New York who could bump into Robin and give him a message without Zelena knowing. Problem solved.

- I also don't get how Zelena's body disappeared into dust, but somehow her life force going through a time travel portal made her corporeal again. Does not compute.

- And because it cannot be said enough, shut up, Zelena!

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 9

So this is the first episode since I binge watched season one on netflix that I didn't watch live. I could have, I was home for it, but I decided to run some errands instead. I just finished watching it a few hours later. I'm not sure that bodes well for the rest of the season.

Personally I never liked Marion, I thought it was cheap to bring her back the way they did, but damn did she but deserve that. That is truly sick and just proves the retcon that is Zelena is just a damn lunatic. I read speculation about her impersonating Marion before the spoiler thread got to spoilery but I never bought it because it was so stupid. So yes I was surprised. But I don't think surprising me with the idiocy of the writers is really the way to go.

I also really don't see where Rumple's suddenly dark heart is an issue. His literal title is the dark one, you'd think the transformation to that would stop the darkness from killing him. I also don't like how crippled Rumple is without magic, he did just fine in season one. And I don't believe that he wouldn't be beating that witch with his cane on Bae's behalf.

The one thing I'd say about the dark heart thing is that if Rumple knew about it as early as season 2 that would explain why he refuses TLK to break the dark curse. But I'm sure the writers haven't thought that far ahead.

• Love 3
What about Little John? Shouldn't he be on there too?

When Robin was in Storybrooke, Little John spent all his time babysitting Roland. That obviously isn't important enough for Robin to have his number when he needs the space for ordering takeout (probably booze) from Granny's. He didn't need Regina's number either because he was either with her or stalking her.

• Love 1

Little John might not even have a phone. Aren't the Merry Men still living in tents in the woods? Oh wait, Will's probably living there too. Maybe he still has his phone from his time before the White Rabbit showed up in Storybrooke. He's just using Belle so he has a way to charge his phone. 

• Love 4

I forgot to express my utter hatred of the Snowing secret storyline. Yay to Emma for calling them out on it. But what the hell is up with their response? We feel bad, we've changed and we're now the parents you deserve. Right because it's all about you, Snowing. Emma is rightfully concerned about how they messed with her at the expense of this poor other person whose soul they screwed with and banished to another land and their response is how they feel about it? Ick. If nothing else, they should have at least bothered to address Emma's feelings about herself, not how she feels about them.

• Love 9

Because it needs to be said every time he pops up: Roland is the cutest little child on television right now.

My vote would go to Diane from black-ish.  I love that little psychopath!

I can't imagine Zelena being content with being at that apartment all day taking care of Roland and cooking for Robin. She can't hate Regina THAT much to spend the rest of her life like that.

Her "plan" is as stupid and moronic as the rest of this episode.  I can't even figure out where this fits with the other New York episodes, but then again,why should it.  It's TS, TW.

So Robin, Marion and Roland go to the city that is least likely for them, just because they have a pace to stay.  Not buying it.

Will needs the Elixir to cure his heart.  Does this mean that this happened before Wonderland, (because it was gone before he went there)?  Who cares?  Not me,and not A&E. 

I'm done.  I'm through. Just too much stupid for me to handle.

• Love 2

One sentence from Zelena and all the painful memories of her never-ending monologues came back.  I just can't focus when she talks. 

And generally, this was a pretty talky episode. I've always wanted talky episodes, but of course, we only get a talky episode with characters I couldn't care less about.  And boy, Robin, Rumple and Zelena can talk. On and on and on.  

So Emma found out such a heart-wrenching secret, and, she only gets a single scene.  It's hard to care about the fallout of this when I couldn't buy the setup.  I want the fallout from S2-S3.  The writers were basically having Emma vocalize A&E's lopsided morality.  But it shows how little the writers care about Emma, Snow or Charming, and how much they like to downgrade their intelligence.  I hated how they had Emma making the rash decision to set the author free and now she's running around like a chicken with her head cut off realizing they need to find him before Rumple found him.  Which he did immediately.  Well, that was easy.

So Rumple knew the Author all along?  Exactly why did he need Regina to give him the idea of getting the Author to write him a happy ending?  Why didn't he just have the Author write him finding Bae back in the Enchanted Forest?  Why would Robin immediately assume Rumple was in NYC because he was there to find the Author?  

I remember us discussing the possibility that Marion was an imposter in the summer, but like Delphi, I did not expect them to go that route because it was so dumb. Which is the main reason why I was surprised, but also because there has been ZERO signs that Marion was Zelena.  Her actions in 4A made zero sense if she were Zelena.  Why would she make the speech to Regina in "Heroes and Villains", agreeing to step aside to have Robin pursue Regina?   Why wouldn't she take additional steps to make Regina's life a living hell even after losing Robin, if she's supposedly so sick?  

I like Will, but I was underwhelmed by his use in the episode.  They could have done so much more interesting stuff in Oz.  A way more interesting quest in other iconic Oz locations.  I couldn't tell that Robin had never met Will before in the flashback.  For some reason, the dialogue made it seem like they knew each other, or maybe it was their demeanor.  

So that Elixir of Contrived Hearts will heal Will's sadness over his sister?  Yet the same elixir can heal the effects of Rumple's dark/evil heart? Does it unblock arteries as well?  Would it have helped if Snow took a bit when she thought David was marrying Abigail?  The fact that the Elixir was in Walsh's shop was just beyond contrived.  

The Robin Hood origin story was lame.  The Sheriff demanding that Robin pay the back taxes in 2 days reminded me too much of the Bo Peep demand in "White Out", so it felt like retread.  They really kept the whole timeline ambiguous in the flashbacks.  I think I might have enjoyed it more if I had known that this was pre-Robin Hood/Merry Men.  Though him becoming Robin Hood because he realized "when you steal for a friend, you're a hero" thing is just so trite.

So Zelena didn't immediately fly over the Yellow Brick Road to find Robin?  He was hardly in a hurry with that never-ending goodbye with Will.  I guess him giving Will that potion was supposed to be heart-warming.  If friendship isn't planting stolen goods on someone without telling him and then immediately exiting a portal, then I don't know what is.

I couldn't take anything Robin said about the Code seriously, considering the adultery.  They should just stop with it.  I will say that I liked Robin Hood slightly more in this episode than in 3B/4A.

And it's beyond obvious that this is how they plan to "redeem" Rumple.  Since he's actually Zelena's lackey and his heart problems will make Belle's heart melt, I'm sure.  All that crap he said about not seeing happiness when he had it, telling Robin to pursue his love, etc... give me a freak'in break.  It doesn't mesh with his behavior so far in 4B at all.  And with all the dark in Rumple's heart, he should have collapsed from heart failure a hundred times over the moment he stepped out of Storybrooke.

Like every episode in 4B so far except "Darkness on the Edge of Town", I was watching without *believing* in the story.  I've never had that happen for so many episodes in a row before and it's kinda sad.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 6

Will needs the Elixir to cure his heart.  Does this mean that this happened before Wonderland, (because it was gone before he went there)?  Who cares?  Not me,and not A&E. 

It had to have been before he & Ana went to Wonderland, because it's when he met Robin (at least that's what I got, but did do some fast-forwarding). They didn't go to Wonderland until after he convinced Robin & the Merry Men to rob Maleficent, and he stole the mirror that would get them there. So he still had his heart then. Shockingly, that actually fits into the chronology!

Edited by Souris