Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Clean

Yeah, Jackie's totally gonna beat this and get her job back - if only to prove she can.

I feel like Zoey though; you just can't trust anything Jackie says.

I like Eddie and hope he and Jackie are the end game - with her sober and committed only to him.

Hank-Med is now Hank-Law. [Royal Pains]

Ugh. I almost hope that Jackie loses, quite honestly. I was rooting for her up til season 6, and then last year I went the other way. Then again, in the real world, would it be possible for someone like Jackie to indeed get her job back? I thought she had lost her nursing license..if so, there is no way she'd just be able to walk back into the hospital and report for work.

• Love 2

I watched it twice, and during Akalitus's public outburst both times I got the feeling in my gut that her drama was a deliberate plan to help Jackie regain her job. The speech established the exact parameters on which the union attorney needed to base a case. Alkalites and Zoey both know that Jackie has outstanding nursing skills and mindset. I sense that they are all soft-hearted and liberal, and they need someone of Jackie's caliber working on their team. So it is a setup to comply with the law, but to help her come back.

When he saw the messy unorganized state of Dr Roman's apartment, along with the flaming burner left all day on the stove, Dr Cooper should have started backpeddling out of whatever relationship he has with her. Living with Dr Roman is an invitation to a life of disarray and immaturity. Leaving the flames on the stove was particularly childish and irresponsible.

• Love 4

Eddie is an idiot. 

I felt bad for Zoey, again.  She let herself hope, just to get her dreams crushed again.

I don't think annoying girl is really pregnant.  I hope not b/c she's not someone I'd wish on Cooper for life.

Kevin, I appreciate your compassion for the girls but I hope you know how out of control Fi is.  

• Love 3
Then again, in the real world, would it be possible for someone like Jackie to indeed get her job back? I thought she had lost her nursing license..if so, there is no way she'd just be able to walk back into the hospital and report for work.

In the real world, I'd like to think Jackie would understand that her walking out last season ended her job with the hospital.  Having said that, Jackie is a deeply delusional, manipulative, liar.  It wouldn't be a shock to me that she honestly believed she could talk her way back into her position.    

• Love 3

I LOVED the scene where Zoey is calling the Queens Center to see if Jackie is lying.  Her ever changing accents, I was so glad they had a classic Zoey moment.

I have no idea what will happen this season, the only thing I will predict is that God will return and have something to do with the finale.

• Love 6

Okay, so now we have a clue as to how Eddie is going to cover swiping all those pills. That's been bothering me since last season; how he was ever going to account for all those missing meds. Course, forging Ak's signature is certainly going to come back to bite him in the you-know-where later in the season.

That was kinda heart breaking...Zoey still holding out hope that Jackie was doing it right, and then having that last hope dashed.

• Love 1

Oh, and the scene in the jail when the guard gives her that little box 'Two Imodium and some handy-wipes, are you kidding me?!' The ironic thing is that Imodium actually is an opiate and a lot of people do use it when they're trying to kick drugs like oxy...course you have to take more like 30 or 40 pills.

• Love 1

The ironic thing is that Imodium actually is an opiate and a lot of people do use it when they're trying to kick drugs like oxy...course you have to take more like 30 or 40 pills.

Seriously? 

Does Imodium really do that, and is the high really worth being constipated for a month?

• Love 2

Imodium is not an opiate/narcotic, its an opiate receptor agonist which can lessen some withdrawal symptoms.

If it contains any kind of narcotic substance it would have to be classified as a schedule drug and would not be sold over the counter.

• Love 3

I watched it twice, and during Akalitus's public outburst both times I got the feeling in my gut that her drama was a deliberate plan to help Jackie regain her job. The speech established the exact parameters on which the union attorney needed to base a case. Alkalites and Zoey both know that Jackie has outstanding nursing skills and mindset. I sense that they are all soft-hearted and liberal, and they need someone of Jackie's caliber working on their team. So it is a setup to comply with the law, but to help her come back.

When he saw the messy unorganized state of Dr Roman's apartment, along with the flaming burner left all day on the stove, Dr Cooper should have started backpeddling out of whatever relationship he has with her. Living with Dr Roman is an invitation to a life of disarray and immaturity. Leaving the flames on the stove was particularly childish and irresponsible.

I had the same feeling that Akilitus' outburst was by design. Watching the scene again - I'm sure of it. 

Coop seeing Dr. Roman's apartment cracked me up.  The mother of his child is a disorganized slob who leaves the stove on.  Poor Coop - it will entertaining watching him deal. 

• Love 1

I had the same feeling that Akilitus' outburst was by design. Watching the scene again - I'm sure of it. 

Coop seeing Dr. Roman's apartment cracked me up.  The mother of his child is a disorganized slob who leaves the stove on.  Poor Coop - it will entertaining watching him deal. 

The child will probably also inherit the inappropriate touch too.    

• Love 3

I had the same feeling that Akilitus' outburst was by design.

That didn't occur to me when I was watching it but now that you mention it, it was pretty out of character for Gloria to make a public scene like that, so now I'm hoping she was in on it.

This show has gotten kind of depressing. Jackie has lost everything, nobody trusts her anymore (with good reason), and the whole thing makes me uncomfortable to watch. She's delusional when it comes to dealing with Kevin though. 

I'd kind of hoped we'd seen the last of Grace. Kid's a brat.

• Love 1

I don't think there was any plan between Akilitus and Jackie.  Like Jackie said to Eddie; no one was buying her shit anymore.   I think the show is setting up a confrontation between Jackie and Akilitus because Akilitus actually represents the one thing Jackie can't live without...her job.   It will be interesting for Jackie to come from a position where no one trusts her...where she is no longer the top dog.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Gloria didn't read as 'in on it' to me. What I got from the scene was that they directed the actress to play it broad because part of Jackie's case hinges on 'she humiliated me in front of my coworkers'.

In other words, Jackie pushed Gloria's buttons precisely so that she would freak out and scream at her in front of everyone. And she did that by showing up to work and pretending everything was fine. The sheer balls of it, basically, is what pushed Gloria over the edge.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 10

I'm calling it now. Jackie will win a huge wrongful termination settlement and Akalitus will lose her job (she's near retirement age anyway), and they will split the money 50/50 and that will be the end of the show.

How is it I manage to forget what a psychopath Jackie can be?

I don't believe Akalitus was in on it. She just gave Zoey the head nurse position. Being in cahoots with Jackie would mean she was playing Zoey and I can't believe that she would do that. I think this is just Jackie going all scorched earth in the desire to get her job back. Which only shows how delusional she is. If she wins the suit what does she think will happen? That life will go back to the way it was before?

Jackie isn't the only addict on this show. Eddie is every bit as far gone as she is except his drug is her.

• Love 11

I had the same feeling that Akilitus' outburst was by design

Yes, I also respectfully disagree. That felt like real anger. And that slight smug smile Jackie had as she walked away I think was her realization she had something now to give to her lawyer.

Since it was part of the coming attractions at the end, I guess we can talk about it here.  But I really hope it doesn't turn out that Jackie is stealing meds from her elderly charge; even tho that's exactly what it looks like

• Love 3

Ugh. I almost hope that Jackie loses, quite honestly. I was rooting for her up til season 6, and then last year I went the other way. Then again, in the real world, would it be possible for someone like Jackie to indeed get her job back? I thought she had lost her nursing license..if so, there is no way she'd just be able to walk back into the hospital and report for work.

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding nurses maintaining their licenses after drug offenses. (And that will depend on what she's convicted of.) But I can tell you that she would not have a prayer of winning a wrongful termination suit.

It's possible Akalitus violated union regulations by divulging Jackie's substance abuse problems to the other employees, or maybe even by publicly firing her. My guess is that Jackie will eventually work out some sort of a plea to avoid jail, and then the hospital will agree to take her back in exchange for Jackie dropping her lawsuit against them. I don't buy for a second that the hospital would take her back - but then again, this is the same show where a pharmacist can hand out Oxycontin like Halloween candy for years before anyone takes notice.

(The thing with her lawyer was very weird to me, too. What was her reason for initially going to him - wasn't it for child custody? Now he's handling her employment discrimination case?)

Since it was part of the coming attractions at the end, I guess we can talk about it here.  But I really hope it doesn't turn out that Jackie is stealing meds from her elderly charge; even tho that's exactly what it looks like

I am pretty sure that is exactly what happens. Cos in the one trailer you see her emptying the weekly pill box and the daughter (??) flipped and said she never should have left Jackie in charge. I think that selling drugs is the only way to hustle that she knows beyond nursing. And (I assume) it would be the easiest route to come up with thousands of dollars in a short time for that lawyer...besides cleaning out her 401k or whatever; if she even has one. I wouldn't be surprised if she used to but cleaned it out to buy more pills. I mean, in season 3 she stole $12,000 of pills while Bill was having a seizure and gave absolutely no fucks about ripping him off. She has no real sense of morality and I dunno if that's just how Jackie is naturally, or if it was the addiction driving her to feed it at any cost.

I don't know why Jackie is so excited to get back to All Saints, because by now everyone knows what's going on (and if they didn't Akalitus surely cleared that up) and she'd probably be treated as a pariah regardless of her skills. She burned too many bridges so now the whole ER staff thinks of her as a junkie liar. What she ought to do is fight for her nursing license and then transfer to a different hospital.

The only thing I wish this show would fix is the meds...cos no painkillers are bright blue like that. Just a nitpick that's been bugging me from the beginning. Also I don't think many (if any) narcotic painkillers come in a capsule.

(The thing with her lawyer was very weird to me, too. What was her reason for initially going to him - wasn't it for child custody? Now he's handling her employment discrimination case?)

I got the impression this attorney wasn't even going to handle the DWI (didn't the court-appointed attorney tell her she was going to be charged with drug trafficking as well), just her nursing license and job situation.

Clean or not, how is it a good idea for a drug addict to work around drugs? The stupidity of Eddie is just making me want him to get caught and punished as much as I want that for Jackie. Someone upthread nailed it when they said Jackie was Eddie's addiction. Why else would he continuously put himself on the line for her?

Jackie's "taking drugs to Miami to help with hurricane relief" bullshit excuse really bugs. Hopefully someone will call her on it because a) how is this a proper response to your superior telling you you need to take a drug test and go through diversion for your drug addiction, b) who in their right mind (much less a nurse) thinks it's okay to carry around a bunch of controlled substances you don't have prescriptions for, c) you had been sampling the goods yourself when you were arrested, and d) the identifiable drugs in the bag we saw her taking last season were all painkillers. How is a nurse, who is herself high, going around dispensing painkillers to victims of a hurricane considered 'helping'? I think the easy answer is that Jackie is just plain delusional. Cunning, but delusional. She doesn't see her addiction as a hindrance to her relationships or her job, even though she almost killed someone last season.

If this wasn't the last season I'm not sure I would be watching. I think we'll see desperate Jackie do whatever she can to get her job back, and then it will be business as usual for her. 

• Love 2

Screaming NOOOO when Zoe deleted the picture.

Loved when Grace busted Jackie's lie to Zoe.

I figured that Zoe went to Akilitus and told her Jackie was really in Jail, easy enough to look up why.   I saw it as real anger when Jackie had the testicular fortitude to come back like it it was no biggie.  I don't think Akilitus was in on anything - I might need a re-watch. 

Addicts are amazing button pushers and manipulators, Jackie got what she wanted, and now she gets to put victim/addict spin on what happened.   Hoping the lawyer is smart enough to ask....So ummm why did you think you could go back to work without a license?

• Love 4

I don't think they have pulled her license officially yet, since I am thinking she has to be convicted of something first...and that lawyer (Barry?) was acting like they are fighting to keep both her license and her job. As far as we know she hasn't had her court hearing (beyond maybe setting bail til the real deal happens) and hasn't been proven guilty of anything...yet. Which also makes me wonder what happened to the public defender?

She definitely has some balls showing up for work and acting as if nothing unusual is going on.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 1

.cos no painkillers are bright blue like that.

I know. In some of the past seasons those 'oxy's' looked like neon-blue jello shots.  And let's not forget the time Jackie called in an oxy script with the stolen DEA number. Who advises them on these details. You can never phone in any kind of narcotic script.

In last season's finale, it was obvious she was taking a plane somewhere. If it was to Miami, why not just drive?

She's gonna take that suitcase past any airport sniffer dogs?

Re: Zoey deleting the nun's picture. I don't have a smart phone. For those who do, is deletion final? Is there any way to get it back?

Edited by LuciaMia
  • Love 1

I got the impression this attorney wasn't even going to handle the DWI (didn't the court-appointed attorney tell her she was going to be charged with drug trafficking as well), just her nursing license and job situation.

I can buy him telling her that she's not getting her license back any time soon, period, so he won't even taken her money. But that will make it all the more silly when she inevitably gets it back later this season.

I don't think they have pulled her license officially yet, since I am thinking she has to be convicted of something first...and that lawyer (Barry?) was acting like they are fighting to keep both her license and her job. As far as we know she hasn't had her court hearing (beyond maybe setting bail til the real deal happens) and hasn't been proven guilty of anything...yet.

They told her early on that her nursing license had been suspended. I'm not sure if it's realistic or not for them to suspend a license without a conviction.

Edited by Blakeston

I could see a suspension for an arrest (or even for the refusal of the drug test at All Saints), until everything is settled and there's a conviction and sentencing. Especially since there's no concrete evidence of anything beyond the car accident. Zoey might know about the fake Nancy Wood, the DEA #, and all the other shady shit Jackie has done but there's no actual proof of any of it. The DEA # thing was a ridiculous storyline anyway since you can't just call in narcotics anymore, especially something like Oxy. On top of that Oxy isn't even produced anymore, so I have no idea why they chose that instead of something like Dilaudid or Fentanyl, which are still in use. Apparently the writers for this show don't do a lot of research.

I am glad this is the last season, because if it kept going any longer there is no way it would be even remotely believable. Maybe they'll end it with Jackie ODing, cos even as an addict she seems pretty with it for someone who supposedly takes 8 pills at a time. There would be no way she'd be functioning on that amount of anything. 

Edited by fliptopbox

Zoey might know about the fake Nancy Wood, the DEA #, and all the other shady shit Jackie has done but there's no actual proof of any of it. The DEA # thing was a ridiculous storyline anyway since you can't just call in narcotics anymore, especially something like Oxy. On top of that Oxy isn't even produced anymore, so I have no idea why they chose that instead of something like Dilaudid or Fentanyl, which are still in use. Apparently the writers for this show don't do a lot of research.

Are you thinking of Vicodin? Oxycontin is still being prescribed in the US.

• Love 1

No. I remember an episode of Intervention where the chick was addicted to Oxycontin and then by the time she was getting out of rehab it was stated they'd stopped producing Oxycontin and replaced it with something else similar that's time released and can't be crushed. As far as I know Vicodin is still around.

• Love 1

After some Google-ing I see I am half right. Back in 2010 they did reformulate Oxycontin so it's extended released and therefore much harder to tamper with...but there is still a quick release formula but that is under a different name. But I still don't understand then why that would be Jackie's drug of choice, considering we definitely saw her crushing and snorting pills....no nurse would crush and snort a time released med cos she'd know it wouldn't make any difference. Also, Dilaudid comes as a small circular blue pill, much lighter and smaller than the ones on the show, but that would have been more believable if we're going for accuracy. Especially since an addict of Jackie's caliber would have access to pretty much any drug she wants and after awhile just Oxy wouldn't cut it anymore.

I've always assume they 'greek' the appearance of the pills for various legal reasons. It doesn't bother me at all. 

But I still don't understand then why that would be Jackie's drug of choice, considering we definitely saw her crushing and snorting pills....no nurse would crush and snort a time released med cos she'd know it wouldn't make any difference.

Kind of confused. People crush pills in order to defeat the sustained-release mechanism and get a faster, more intense high. Which is further intensified by snorting it. Yeah, a very few meds have some higher-tech polymers and whatever that make them harder to defeat, but we don't actually know what Jackie is taking most of the time. She seems to just take whatever she can get her hands on. I'm guessing there's still generic oxycodone formulations out there that are fine for crushing/snorting. 

Anyway. Of the problems with the show, strict pharmaceutical accuracy isn't one of the things that bothers me; addiction is addiction, and we're watching a show about a very smart addict who may or may not also be a bit of a sociopath. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 5

After some Google-ing I see I am half right. Back in 2010 they did reformulate Oxycontin so it's extended released and therefore much harder to tamper with...but there is still a quick release formula but that is under a different name.

Oxycontin has always been an extended-release drug. For people who actually take it for pain, that's the appeal of it - you take one, and with the extended-release aspect, the effects last for twelve hours or so.

And the appeal for people looking to get high was that if you crushed it, you would get twelve hours worth of pain relief all at once. Then they modified it in 2010 to make it harder to override the extended release. But it's still Oxycontin. And lots of drug addicts still want it - it gives them a 12-hour high.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2

Jackie has always managed to eke out of every situation she's found herself in. I don't see that changing now.

I also don't think Akalitus was complicit at all in Jackie's scheme. That's not in her character.

• Love 2

I've always assume they 'greek' the appearance of the pills for various legal reasons. It doesn't bother me at all. 

Yeah, I doubt they want to show a real branded product. Who needs Pfizer to send you a cease and desist letter? Back when House was on the air I used to laugh at the vicodin he took. It was like watching someone try to OD on Mentos.

I thought that Coop was not supposed to be on this season.

I'm trying to figure out what purpose he serves. Both he and Roman could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't notice.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 3

I don't think that's the same lawyer that handled the divorce agreement. It shouldn't be, anyway. Jackie said this lawyer was recommended to her by her nursing union, and their initial interaction suggested they were meeting for the first time.

I don't think that's the same lawyer that handled the divorce agreement. It shouldn't be, anyway. Jackie said this lawyer was recommended to her by her nursing union, and their initial interaction suggested they were meeting for the first time.

I wasn't suggesting that he was the guy who handled her divorce. I was just wondering why she went there in the first place. There are a bunch of reasons why she needs a lawyer now (criminal charges, wanting to see her daughters, wanting her nursing license back, wanting to work at All Saints, etc.)

Coop feels like a remnant of when the show was more of a comedy.

I always pictured Roman as being the result of some Showtime exec exclaiming "we need more sex on the show! Get me a young hot blonde who will take her clothes off, stat!". So it's been hard to consider her a real character. No disrespect to the actress, who DOES have a nice body and who does just fine with the comedic material.

• Love 5

Since this is the end and Jackie's losing all of her friends and supporters, part of me holds out desperate, futile hope that we'll see O'Hara or Mo-mo again.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2