Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Part 13

Is it weird that I love Kyle Chandler's voice, especially in the voice overs? He was the reason that I watched this show. I have a huge crush on him and think that he is absolutely gorgeous.

The guy who played Danny was amazing. He made me hate his character so much.

I think the only person I sort of liked is John. I understand where he is coming from. He had to be "good" because Danny wasn't. And he was put into a position where he had to take the weight of the family and all of their problems. I had sympathy for him. 

I think it's weird if someone DOESN'T find Kyle Chandler and his voice sexy sexy sexy.  I've loved him since Homefront.  Jeff & Ginger 4-EVA!

The only problem I had with the sibling's decisions was to blow up Danny's body on that boat.  I understand that was how to tie him to the drug dealers, and that John is a detective and would have warned them that they had to think like drug dealers in order to make it believable, but that was horrible.  Killing him wasn't as bad as burning his body like that.

• Love 4

I think it's weird if someone DOESN'T find Kyle Chandler and his voice sexy sexy sexy. I've loved him since Homefront. Jeff & Ginger 4-EVA!

The only problem I had with the sibling's decisions was to blow up Danny's body on that boat. I understand that was how to tie him to the drug dealers, and that John is a detective and would have warned them that they had to think like drug dealers in order to make it believable, but that was horrible. Killing him wasn't as bad as burning his body like that.

I think that the way John killed Danny will come back to haunt him. It was very personal. I can't wait for the second season.

I wish Kyle Chandler was shirtless in some scenes.

• Love 3

Kyle Chandler is indeed a dish- so I'm not judging anyone who finds his whole thing sexy. 

I get the whole panic of it all and who knows how I would react in this situation, but I almost think John would've been better off leaving the body where it was (and face down) and maybe said he and Danny had a physical fight. He left and had his heart incident so he couldn't go back. Or something. I mean, he's a cop. Cops tend to give a lot of leeway to other cops.  I don't know. The way they did it just feels like it created a lot more craziness. 

Although, nice touch blowing up the boat, because it makes it seem like it's connected to the drugs and human trafficking. And like the dead girls, burned but with water in lungs. 

• Love 2

I think if they were only trying to cover up Danny's death then leaving the body there was an option but they were also trying to cover up their previous cover up of the drugs at the inn. I guess the second season will continue to show that the lies are just going to keep adding up until it all falls apart.

Marco must know something is up between his scene with Meg and the weird 'interrogation' of John. Maybe he'll join forces with the retired detective to try to unravel the actions of the Rayburns.

• Love 3

Agree 100%  I spent the final episode rooting for the siblings to get away with it.  He was dangerous, erratic, and a risk to everyone around him.

Which is the only thing that presents a problem for me.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to want them to be found out in season 2, because - bluntly - I don't.  I don't really feel the tiniest peep of a 'Danny deserves justice' at all.

I'm with you.  When John was holding Danny's head under water I was afraid that he would let up and was like "No, no, finish him off!", and was delighted when he did.  Danny was a great character, but I don't give a shit that he was murdered.

• Love 10

Agree 100%  I spent the final episode rooting for the siblings to get away with it.  He was dangerous, erratic, and a risk to everyone around him.

Which is the only thing that presents a problem for me.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to want them to be found out in season 2, because - bluntly - I don't.  I don't really feel the tiniest peep of a 'Danny deserves justice' at all.

Danny was a POS.   A parasite.   Did he really believe he could threaten John's family and just stroll off, chuckling?   John killing Danny was the most gratifying moment of the series.   I have no sympathy for the Dannies of this world.   Or the Sallies.   The kids should do her next.

I expected more oomph from this episode, but that's okay.   Overall I enjoyed my 13-hour vacation to the Keys.

• Applause 1
  • Love 10
I finally finished the season. I liked the show, but I honestly hated the siblings way more than Danny. To me they all seemed like self-righteous assholes, and Danny didn't come across as that threatening, imo. Not to the point where he himself was going to try to murder someone, from the way they all acted.

The whole family was awful, but Danny, mainly because of Ben Mendelsohn's performance, was the only one of them who was awful in an interesting way. 

The rest of the family were tediously awful, from Sissy Spacek's disappointingly passive and underused character, to the wishy-washy sister who, ohmigod, has the world's most boring affair, to Kevin, the coke-using loser who pretty much behaves from the first exactly like it seems like he's going to behave, with absolutely no surprises, ever, all season long.  Kyle Chandler's character is the only one of the bunch to have a little more depth, but it's not really all-that-interesting depth.  Even when he kills Danny I was sort of like: okay.  It was more kind-of-lame-tv-like-"shock"-plotting than it was Shakespearean tragedy.  And I don't seriously  think it had to be at the level of Shakespeare, but I also think it should have felt more earned, or more moving, or even a particularly good plot idea.

What's frustrating is they're all good actors, but the season's storyline really just goes from point A to point A.  Unlike on Damages, what we see in the opening flashforward is actually pretty much literally what happens.   There's not much that makes us go "what a great twist" or "they really fooled us about what was really going to happen."   Losing Ben Mendelsohn is a serious and likely fatal hole in the show, since it felt like 75% of our time was spent getting inside his head.  It's like if (since it's a lot of the same team) Damages had killed off Glenn Close's character at the end of season one, and then expected us to be riveted with a second season about Rose Byrne milling about feeling guilty and maybe being blackmailed or something.  That would have been a terrible idea; it would have made a lot of viewers wonder why they'd wasted so much time setting up a personal dynamic the show intended to ditch, and wonder why both the center of the show, and the show's best performer, were being kicked to the curb.

I would have even taken some stupid "Danny's a deep-undercover DEA agent and they had to fake his death" twist at the end if it would have meant keeping Mendelsohn.  I just don't care about any of the rest of these uninterestingly awful characters, and I don't see much reason to return.

• Love 4

I was surprised that They never made use of the phone number of the girl from the bar that Danny stuck in his shirt. I was expecting this would cause a greater wedge between Diana and John.

I'm wondering if Danny wanted to be killed by his family as an act of revenge. He sure didn't seem like he was trying to live with all the recklessness in his life.

• Love 4

I was disappointed by the finale since it was pretty much a denouement with one twist I saw coming from a mile away.

Why did it take so long for the siblings to figure out they could pin Danny's death on Wayne Lowry?

Speaking of that scene, I chuckled when Meg said, "There's no guaranteeing that this isn't gonna come back on us. And when it does, I don't wanna have to try to explain... why I had my brother's body in the trunk of my car. There is no story that makes that okay." I know it was supposed to be dramatic and all but it played quite differently (or at least I thought).

Danny was a POS.   A parasite.   Did he really believe he could threaten John's family and just stroll off, chuckling?   John killing Danny was the most gratifying moment of the series.   I have no sympathy for the Dannies of this world.   Or the Sallies.   The kids should do her next.

This made me snort!

Bye bye Sissy Spacek's hypnotizingly large nostrils. See you next year!

• Love 2

I just finished watching this series last night to clear the decks for OITNB's new season. I had read all of these threads after the first episode because it was so dark and gave me such a stomach ache that I wanted to not be surprised. Mr MML was not spoiled and he literally laughed out loud at some of the dark things that bothered me even when I knew they were coming. He found most of Kevin and lots of Danny to be comic relief. Crazy. Both he and I have been talking about it all day today--it really stayed with us.

I was glad the series speeded up in the middle and episode 12 was as riveting an hour as I've seen in a long long time. This final episode 13 was a wrapper upper imo but it also exposed some things that I felt were flaws, like not really showing Robert as a husband so bad that he would make someone want to abandon five kids, and still not clear what the Miami apartment or Danny's situation around it was all about. And no one from the DEA was keeping an eye on the Rayburn House as soon as John spilled the beans about finding huge quantities of drugs hidden in the shed?

Sissy Spacek was (unfortunately for her) surrounded by a cast that could act circles around her in their sleep. I would have killed her off right away just for that (okay, and her nose but that's not really her fault). But holy crap were most of the rest of the cast amazing! Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelsohn (totally new to me) and Linda Cardellini, omg. Chloe Sevigny! Sam Shepard!!!! Everyone as believable as real people as my next door neighbor is. Such good writing, such great use of the location.

While I kept waiting for a twist, mainly Danny redeeming himself, I was sooo glad it did not happen. The story stayed true for me.

• Love 1

Sissy Spacek was (unfortunately for her) surrounded by a cast that could act circles around her in their sleep. I would have killed her off right away just for that (okay, and her nose but that's not really her fault). 

I figured her nose is like that from face lifts.

I just finished and thought it was very good. I'd watch Kyle Chandler read a phone book though so I could be biased.  FNL is one of the best shows in the history of television and he acted the hell out of these final episodes.  Poor Meg though....it took me several episodes to stop thinking of her as Velma (don't judge, my son watched that Scooby movie once a day for months). 

I am more concerned about the PI than the son.  He's no dummy and not above justifying his actions to do what he feels is right (such as the tapes), which makes him as dangerous as the other Rayburns. 

I hope Kevin's kid is really his and not a result of Belle's post separation dating....Kevin's too stupid to figure it out.  Almost as stupid as Chelsea and Eric.  What a bunch of dumbasses.  Too bad they didn't get killed too.

• Love 1

I think it's weird if someone DOESN'T find Kyle Chandler and his voice sexy sexy sexy.  I've loved him since Homefront.  Jeff & Ginger 4-EVA!

The only problem I had with the sibling's decisions was to blow up Danny's body on that boat.  I understand that was how to tie him to the drug dealers, and that John is a detective and would have warned them that they had to think like drug dealers in order to make it believable, but that was horrible.  Killing him wasn't as bad as burning his body like that.

Eh. Killing is pretty bad, not that I necessarily blame John. I guess I'm someone who doesn't really give a shit about my body once I'm gone; I'd rather be treated well (and treat others well) in life.

Kyle Chandler is indeed a dish- so I'm not judging anyone who finds his whole thing sexy. 

I get the whole panic of it all and who knows how I would react in this situation, but I almost think John would've been better off leaving the body where it was (and face down) and maybe said he and Danny had a physical fight. He left and had his heart incident so he couldn't go back. Or something. I mean, he's a cop. Cops tend to give a lot of leeway to other cops.  I don't know. The way they did it just feels like it created a lot more craziness.

Agreed. But from the storytelling perspective, this was the way to go. Danny really did ruin all of their lives. John was the caretaker, but Danny felt he was superior. Danny set the wheels in motion so that not even the family superhero could get them out of this mess.

Maybe I missed something. But I wish I had more background about why Danny was such a constant disappointment. Obviously we know about Sarah's death, but were there more examples of the many ways Danny had let the family down? It would have to be pretty severe, considering how much they all hated him even before his return. (What did I miss?)

I don't think Sissy Spacek was the weak link. I think the character was an idiot and she played it well.

• Love 4

Just finished this last night and I agree with the post above. All of the cast was great, not sure why Sissy Spacek is suddenly getting picked on for being a bad actress. The character was dim and bland, not Spacek. And her nose? No one comments on Danny's big nose or ratty hair or Kevin's pudge or even Kyle Chandler's doughy physique. Yeah, he's a good looking guy, but if he looks good shirtless, I'd be surprised. But a woman's appearance is always fair game even if it's completely irrelevant.

Loved the entire show, didn't think it moved too slowly at all. Reading all the ep,threads, there are constant posts about details that others say they missed, so clearly it wasn't slow enough. In this show, all those details were important.

Danny couldn't be trusted, and while killing your brother is pretty extreme, he caused constant trouble, and it's hard to know if it was intentional. He brought a murderous vindictive drug dealer into the family, engaged in activity that could have made them lose the business (and home) that had been in the family for decades, he played fast and loose with his brother's child. Sure, we know he wouldn't kill her (because he didn't) but they don't know that. That was the proble, the family didn't know what he would do next. Who expects their brother to get mixed up in million-dollar coke deals funnelled through the family business?

I, too, wonder why Danny was the black sheep all his life. Sarah's drowning was tragic, but most parents don't react by beating the crap out of the child who was there. Was the father beating Danny all his life? If so, why Danny? It didn't seem like he beat the other kids. Why did the mom leave? Was he beating her? If he was beating all the kids, why wouldn't she leave and take them? Who leaves their children alone with a known abuser? I found that aspect a little vague.

Lots to chew on for a second season - the retired cop telling mom that the kids are lying (what did he find out?), Danny's son and what he knows about his uncles at Danny's Miami apartment, Marco and his potential suspicions because of Meg and John's cagey behaviour.

Just a thought - those seersucker suits were hideous. They were supposed to be for a wedding? No wonder Marco's mother insisted he wear something else. Do people really wear those? They looked like the brothers were part of a barbershop quartet.

• Love 8

Hee, I picture super obvious red stripes when it come to barbershop quartet, so the seersucker isn't quite that bad. Even if I wouldn't call it the best outfits ever.

Maybe I missed something. But I wish I had more background about why Danny was such a constant disappointment.

Danny keeps getting into shady shit when he didn’t really have to. And whenever people tried to help him he just took advantage and used it against the people trying to help him. Fucking up seems to be a pattern of behavior with him. He always does this. Always trying to push things too far. Always making messes for other people. John even mentioned it’s been this way since before Sarah died. The way the family treated Danny like some kind of plague seemed over the top to me at first, but the more of him we got, the more I understood why.

Damn, I wanted to reach in through the screen and wring his neck myself.

I’m sure I missed a bunch of details, though, because I kept falling asleep for most of the early half of the season.

For a second there I thought they were going to pull a “Weekend at Bernie’s” with Danny’s body. I guess this is not that kind of show.

Even when John was in the hospital, the siblings were waiting for him to tell them what to do, and the mom still wanted him not to “give up on Family”. No wonder he had an almost-heart-attack from stress. It’s not just the stress of dealing with Danny. Everyone’s been stressing him the hell out for a while.

We see him pop blood pressure pills in the first act of the season, of course the heart condition had to go off by the third act. Very “Chekhov's gun” of the writers. I also liked how things came full circle with Danny’s body ending up found like the body of the girl near the beginning.

When Danny’s son showed up I was like “Ugh, is there no end to the annoyance that is Danny? He’s like a rash that won’t go away.”

This was a one and done for me. I enjoyed the ride, but I don’t want to spend any more time with these people. I don’t want to see Danny avenged or whatever. I’m perfectly happy that the siblings apparently got away with Danny’s murder.

Well… I might come back for my Kyle Chandler fix. That’s the only thing that might reel me back in.

Might check out Friday Night Lights. I’ve been putting that one off because I don’t care about football at all.

• Love 2

I don't know if I'm in for another season, either, the more that I think about the ending of this one.  Usually following seasons are less good, so it'd be a low bar.  

I haven't seen Chandler in anything since Early Edition and enjoyed him and I love Cardelini.  I'll put Damages and Friday Night Lights on my list.  Though I can't stand Connie Britton or bratty teen girl characters, so that one's iffy.  

I don't want to be off topic, but Friday Night Lights is so much more than a teen story. Most people love Connie Britton it it; I was meh on her character, but the rest of the show is just wonderful.

• Love 2

Hee, I picture super obvious red stripes when it come to barbershop quartet, so the seersucker isn't quite that bad. Even if I wouldn't call it the best outfits ever.

Danny keeps getting into shady shit when he didn’t really have to. And whenever people tried to help him he just took advantage and used it against the people trying to help him. Fucking up seems to be a pattern of behavior with him. He always does this. Always trying to push things too far. Always making messes for other people. John even mentioned it’s been this way since before Sarah died. The way the family treated Danny like some kind of plague seemed over the top to me at first, but the more of him we got, the more I understood why.

Damn, I wanted to reach in through the screen and wring his neck myself.

I’m sure I missed a bunch of details, though, because I kept falling asleep for most of the early half of the season.

For a second there I thought they were going to pull a “Weekend at Bernie’s” with Danny’s body. I guess this is not that kind of show.

Even when John was in the hospital, the siblings were waiting for him to tell them what to do, and the mom still wanted him not to “give up on Family”. No wonder he had an almost-heart-attack from stress. It’s not just the stress of dealing with Danny. Everyone’s been stressing him the hell out for a while.

We see him pop blood pressure pills in the first act of the season, of course the heart condition had to go off by the third act. Very “Chekhov's gun” of the writers. I also liked how things came full circle with Danny’s body ending up found like the body of the girl near the beginning.

When Danny’s son showed up I was like “Ugh, is there no end to the annoyance that is Danny? He’s like a rash that won’t go away.”

This was a one and done for me. I enjoyed the ride, but I don’t want to spend any more time with these people. I don’t want to see Danny avenged or whatever. I’m perfectly happy that the siblings apparently got away with Danny’s murder.

Well… I might come back for my Kyle Chandler fix. That’s the only thing that might reel me back in.

Might check out Friday Night Lights. I’ve been putting that one off because I don’t care about football at all.

I don't care about football, either. By the end of S1 of FNL, I was on my feet, yelling at the TV during game scenes. And that's just one aspect of the show.

• Love 2

I tried FNL and didn't make it through season 1.  Britton didn't annoy me, the teens didn't annoy me.  I zoned out during the game scenes, the weird/primitive filming style bothered me a little, and the use of full names nearly constantly annoyed me to no end. 

This episode was anticlimactic. Almost everything was foretold in the flash-forwards, and since there were only a few that hadn't already happened, it was very easy to piece together the rest of the story. The minor surprise was Belle's pregnancy; the major surprise was Danny's son showing up. But I don't care about Kevin, so the pregnancy didn't interest me, and Danny's son - well, it remains to be seen if that will be a good plotline. I was so exhausted with Danny's character by the end that I don't know if I want to go through this with another generation. Besides, they have all revealed themselves as fairly obnoxious characters, except maybe Det. Potts and Chelsea. I admit to being intrigued by what Potts means when he tells Sally her kids are lying to her.

Not a fan of Sally, but the anguish when she found out Danny was dead was really true to life IMO. Even if she wasn't a good mother, he was her child - "her baby" as she once put it - with all the memories that entails. Plus, she lost any chance to make amends. Very well-acted by Sissy Spacek.

• Love 2

He had just threatened the entire family in the living room about how they were all now targets because he had killed the guy who was sent to kill him. I would say that's no hollow threat.

Also he pretty much told John that he was never going to stop tormenting him or the family

edit: I quoted the wrong post. I am replying to the guy who said that Danny is not actually a threat and everything he does is annoying rather than actually threatening. 

Edited by knaankos
  • Love 3

I agree with the person that said they believe Marco thinks something is up. The way he questioned John was very weird at the beginning of the interrogation scene. I really hope that it means something and was;t just a red herring for the audience because really it would not make sense that way. Why would there be any logical reason to expect John to have done this if you did not already know? John acted in that scene as if he expected the accusation to come but really why should it have?

So I think Marco knows things are fishy. Especially since earlier he employed John to tell him where the drugs were in reality and it was obvious that he did not buy John's story at all. Then the drugs appear in the apartment in Miami and Marco suddenly forgets the suspicions he had about John? I don't think so. Then there was the scene with Meg where she was so obviously perturbed about something. He can't have forgotten that.

I suspect Marco is going to dig deeper.

Edited by knaankos
  • Love 2

I agree with the person that said they believe Marco thinks something is up. The way he questioned John was very weird at the beginning of the interrogation scene. I really hope that it means something and was;t just a red herring for the audience because really it would not make sense that way. Why would there be any logical reason to expect John to have done this if you did not already know? John acted in that scene as if he expected the accusation to come but really why should it have?

So I think Marco knows things are fishy. Especially since earlier he employed John to tell him where the drugs were in reality and it was obvious that he did not buy John's story at all. Then the drugs appear in the apartment in Miami and Marco suddenly forgets the suspicions he had about John? I don't think so. Then there was the scene with Meg where she was so obviously perturbed about something. He can't have forgotten that.

I suspect Marco is going to dig deeper.

If he's a competent cop, John's entire actions should be sending up red flags. Not IDing the voice on the phone call, drugs being found on his family's property "the night before" and now missing, John's demeanor when they were questioning him in this episode. (Yes, questioning. Because that's what it sounded like.) Plus, even the others' actions, like the way Meg acted in the rain outside her place, the attack on Kevin. And don't forget he's met Danny. If he doesn't figure out that something's up, he's as bad at his job as John.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 1

I think this family would have been better off if Robert had just been more like Dewey Cox's dad and kept telling Danny, "Wrong kid died!!"

OMG..my sons do this ALL THE TIME!

Anytime I am upset with one of them, the other one will say " the wrong kid died"..and I end up laughing.

We also will randomly throw " I done gone smellblind" into conversation as well.

Thant idiotic movie ruined my life with two teenagers in the house!

Edited by MarysWetBar
If he's a competent cop, John's entire actions should be sending up red flags.

I just finished watching last night and can't help but think that John and Kevin using Danny's cell phone is going to cause some problems. (If they don't, that will require a huge suspension of disbelief that I don't think I can muster.) When John used it to call Megan from the hospital, I almost yelled at my TV. The call puts Danny in the hospital, ostensibly visiting John, when visitor records can easily be checked, or investigating officers can ask John about the alleged hospital visit, and ask Megan why Danny called her.

And John calling Lowry's bait shop? I'm assuming he called a land line without caller ID, and I doubt Danny - if he ever spoke directly to Lowry while working for him - called the bait shop's business number! As for texting Eric, that can easily be argued as a spoof - without talking to Danny directly, he had no way of knowing whether it was really Danny texting him.

I know why the brothers used Danny's cell phone, to create the illusion that he was still alive...but once forensics establishes the time of death, and compares that to cell records, the story's going to fall apart pretty quickly.

• Love 2

I just finished watching last night and can't help but think that John and Kevin using Danny's cell phone is going to cause some problems. (If they don't, that will require a huge suspension of disbelief that I don't think I can muster.) When John used it to call Megan from the hospital, I almost yelled at my TV. The call puts Danny in the hospital, ostensibly visiting John, when visitor records can easily be checked, or investigating officers can ask John about the alleged hospital visit, and ask Megan why Danny called her.

And John calling Lowry's bait shop? I'm assuming he called a land line without caller ID, and I doubt Danny - if he ever spoke directly to Lowry while working for him - called the bait shop's business number! As for texting Eric, that can easily be argued as a spoof - without talking to Danny directly, he had no way of knowing whether it was really Danny texting him.

I know why the brothers used Danny's cell phone, to create the illusion that he was still alive...but once forensics establishes the time of death, and compares that to cell records, the story's going to fall apart pretty quickly.

just finished watching the last episode last night with the friends that insisted I start watching this series. They had not seen it since last summer so it was fun. - as far as forensics JOHN IS A DETECTIVE. Was he not thinking of time of death? Was he hoping Danny never surfaced or not for awhile that it could not be determined? Wouldn't ice burn show up? Was he making the best of the situation his siblings made for him? - why didn't the hospital or someone from the sheriffs call john's wife when he was in the hospital (of course I know why meg and Kevin didn't)? - so Danny really wanted his family to understand how he felt after Sarah's death. It seemed this accidental death affected his life in every aspect. Interesting now John Meg and Kevin have an INTENTIONAL death on their hands....a worse feeling that Danny webt through? - so dear momma told the retired detective SHE was the one that told the kids to lie about the beating Danny got. Wasn't she on the bus when the drowning happened? No cell phones then, how did they a hold of her so quickly that she got back in time before the kids were interviewed by the detective? So many questions....I'm looking forward to re watching soon with out distraction (It was mostly a background show for me other than the last two episodes)

An interesting end to the season. I will probably be back for Season 2, just to see what happens, but for sure it won't be the same without Danny. That actor just brought a special something to the role. I'm not really that interested in Danny's son. But I will be curious to see if they get away with the murder / cover-up. And the question is, do they deserve to? 

• Love 1

Rewatched the first season to refresh my memory for the second. No nitpicks here - a fan from the start. 

The Florida Keys are their own character, depicted true to life in meticulous detail. From the picture perfect veneer that draws the tourists to the seediness lurking below. The environment outside the resorts isn't quite as enticing. 

They don't dress up the actors with fake Hollywood glamor. Everyone's sweaty, with weathered skin and wilted hair, bathing suits under their clothes, and a bottle of liquor close at hand. 

I had a lot of sympathy for Danny at first, as the ostracized black sheep. Especially when they revealed the fundamentally unfair way he was treated for the accident.

I saw his breaking point, preceded by obsessively listening to the old police tapes, and his heart broken when his father wanted to pay him to leave. Tragedy was inevitable from there. 

All the acting is fantastic, and I "got" the characters, flaws and all. The only unredeemable one was the unforgiving father. Sissy Spacek is amazing, and needless to say, Ben Mendelssohn carries the show. 

"We're not bad people, but we did a bad thing." A suspenseful tagline and a shocking understatement by the end. Altogether an excellent and overlooked show. Oh well, we can keep it for ourselves! 

• Love 6
(edited)

I could have slapped the mom when she went to John's hospital room and told him not to give up on family (Danny). Turns out she was the one who told her children to lie and say Danny was hit by a car. Now she is going to create more trouble for her kids by hiring the old P.I. guy.

I hate bratty teenager stories (John's daughter was already working my nerves) so  I might not make it through the second season if it heavily features Danny's teenage son.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 0:52 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

Sissy Spacek was (unfortunately for her) surrounded by a cast that could act circles around her in their sleep. I would have killed her off right away just for that (okay, and her nose but that's not really her fault).

I figured her nose is like that from face lifts.

This is obviously a minor gripe, but I also found her nose a real distraction.  I have seen her so many times before - Carrie, Coal Miner's Daughter, and on and on.  Was her nose always so turned up?  If it was, for some reason I had never noticed it as I do in Bloodline. 

I think a reason it seemed to be so noticeable in Bloodline was her overall look.  What I mean is that she was purposely made up (or NOT made up) to be very plain.  Her hair was always handing down in her face, she did not wear much makeup, etc.  So I think because basically there was nothing else about her looks to distract viewers, her nose seemed to stand out more than normal.  I would not say her acting was poor but her character just did not have much to say that was interesting or outstanding.  She just kind of gurgled along as others had more interesting lines and roles. 

8 hours ago, freeser said:

This is obviously a minor gripe, but I also found her nose a real distraction.  I have seen her so many times before - Carrie, Coal Miner's Daughter, and on and on.  Was her nose always so turned up?  If it was, for some reason I had never noticed it as I do in Bloodline. 

I think a reason it seemed to be so noticeable in Bloodline was her overall look.  What I mean is that she was purposely made up (or NOT made up) to be very plain.  Her hair was always handing down in her face, she did not wear much makeup, etc.  So I think because basically there was nothing else about her looks to distract viewers, her nose seemed to stand out more than normal.  I would not say her acting was poor but her character just did not have much to say that was interesting or outstanding.  She just kind of gurgled along as others had more interesting lines and roles. 

Minor point, but in the quote of my post, someone else's comment surmising about Sissy Spacek's nose resulting from face lifts got added. That was not my opinion. Looking back on season 1, I agree with freeser above that the other characters had much more interesting storylines so perhaps Spacek seemed bland to me in comparison. I just could not watch the darkness continue in season 2, but Mr MML reported it was very good and he liked Spacek a lot and looks forward to season 3.

The way Jacinda Barrett was so terrified of him was pathetic. I would find his behavior more annoying than scary (and she's a terrible actress by the way).

Agreed. Go back to Real World London Jacinta.

• Love 1