Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Part 13

John, Kevin and Meg try to get their lives back in order as the family comes to grips with the truth about Danny.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks!

Maybe I was too tired, and missed it, but I am confused over what John and Kevin did in Danny's apartment. They started knocking things over to make it look like a break-in, or that Lowry abducted Danny to kill him? Yet  they left the bags of coke in the closet? That didn't make sense to me. I'm sure I missed something. So if anyone can explain, I'd appreciate it.  It also would not make sense for Lowry to abduct Danny in Miami, but kill him back in the Keys. 

Edited by Bcharmer
  • Love 2

I think the point was to make it look like Lawry's men had trashed Danny's apartment looking for the drugs but hadn't found them because they were stuck behind the wall panel.

I'm assuming that they are saving this for the second season but I'm curious to know who was watching Kevin and John exit the apartment, while wearing a Rayburn House t-shirt.

Not sure if we are supposed to think it was Danny's son that was watching them, or an employee of the inn.  First I thought maybe Carlos and that he and Danny had set up some contingency plan in case he went missing.

Nice call back with the son.  Early in the episodes Danny sent the one envelope with money in it with the note "More to come", I'm assuming he was sending that to his son or the son's mother.

Loved that they had "young Danny" play Danny's son in the finale.

• Love 5

Not sure if we are supposed to think it was Danny's son that was watching them, or an employee of the inn.  First I thought maybe Carlos and that he and Danny had set up some contingency plan in case he went missing.

Nice call back with the son.  Early in the episodes Danny sent the one envelope with money in it with the note "More to come", I'm assuming he was sending that to his son or the son's mother.

I believe it was Danny's son watching them, which would set up Danny, Part 2, as next season's villain.  On the other hand, if Danny was sending money to his own apartment with "More to come" written on the envelopes, why were all those envelopes piled up?  If his son (or son's mother) didn't have access to that apartment to collect the money, why send it there?  It's the "more to come" that is really confusing me, because it implies that he is sending it to someone in particular.  He could have just written, "BWAaaaaaaaahahahaha!  Mine!  All MINE!" if he was just using his apartment as a cash depository.  

• Love 2

I assumed the envelope with the note "More to come" went to the guys he owed money to (remember the woman John met with in Miami telling John that the guys just stopped coming around one day?). And once he had paid them off, he started sending the rest of the money to his apartment.

• Love 3

I think the point was to make it look like Lawry's men had trashed Danny's apartment looking for the drugs but hadn't found them because they were stuck behind the wall panel.

I'm assuming that they are saving this for the second season but I'm curious to know who was watching Kevin and John exit the apartment, while wearing a Rayburn House t-shirt.

Not sure if we are supposed to think it was Danny's son that was watching them, or an employee of the inn.  

Yes, I guess that makes sense. The thing about hiding the drugs behind the wall panel is it makes the criminals look incompetent, since the cops found it so easily.  "Ha, ha... they didn't look here!"

Yes, it was Danny's son watching. They made a point of zooming in on the chain he was wearing around his neck, which was also zoomed in on when he showed up at John's house. This detail, I did catch. :) 

• Love 6

Yes, I guess that makes sense. The thing about hiding the drugs behind the wall panel is it makes the criminals look incompetent, since the cops found it so easily. "Ha, ha... they didn't look here!"

Well that is the problem with hiding something when you want it to be found. You can't make it too easy to find but you can't make it too difficult either. Plus cops are human and once they have a narrative they tend to want everything to fit it and won't look too hard when it doesn't. "Hey drugs! It must be the crimnals we are chasing!"

• Love 2

The other thing is that Danny WASN'T cashing his checks. He got one from Sally and put it into the glove compartment and there were a bunch of other checks in there. So either he didn't want the money he was making on the books or he didn't want anyone to be able to trace where he was making money. 

The other thing is that Danny WASN'T cashing his checks. He got one from Sally and put it into the glove compartment and there were a bunch of other checks in there. So either he didn't want the money he was making on the books or he didn't want anyone to be able to trace where he was making money. 

Yeah that was totally Danny's passive aggressive way of saying FU.  I'll use your family business for my own side gig and make 10 times as much so I don't need your checks. 

The one thing that I didn't get was, why was Danny sending the money to his vacant apartment as opposed to a P.O. Box.  Even if he was going with the idea that Lawry's men or anyone else didn't know where he lived in Miami, why send the money to a vacant apartment.  He wasn't even checking on the place.  He could of been randomly robbed by someone who knew he wasn't staying there full time.

• Love 4

I'm assuming that the envelope with "More to come" went to the son, and the other envelopes went to Danny's apartment for himself.

I assumed the envelope with the note "More to come" went to the guys he owed money to (remember the woman John met with in Miami telling John that the guys just stopped coming around one day?). And once he had paid them off, he started sending the rest of the money to his apartment.

Thanks.  I incorrectly assumed that all the envelopes were going to that apartment.  I guess I should have paid more attention to detail.

I started the series feeling really bad for Danny bc his family was jerks. Even with what they knew about the abusive dad, John still said he was "a God" at his funeral. But Danny became so maddening of a character, kudos to the actor. 

Was that woman ghost then really their sister Sarah or was it the mother of his son? Because why would her grown ghost haunt him? 

If you knew someone was coming to kill you, would you not arm yourself with something other than a shell?

I found Meg's little skirts to be very unlawyerly. She looked especially Floridian in that get-up in NYC.

• Love 7

The ghost was definitely Sarah.  I'm assuming that "Mia Kirshner" is how Danny sees Sarah as an older woman.  The idea that she has been with him since he was 15 makes sense that she would "grow up" in his mind.

• Love 4

Most people seem to think it was the son, but when I watched I also thought it was Carlos.  I may watch again more closely.

I think that Carlos as a witness would setup a way to tie to Meg into the story for season two.  Having watched Damages I would not be surprised to see a major new character involved in season two, and I would not be surprised if Danny's son is sort of a red herring for what would center that storyline.  Don't know though!

• Love 2

If you watch again, pay attention to the silver chain around his neck. The camera is focused on it for a moment.  Then, it does the same at the end, when it is revealed that it is Danny's son who is wearing it.  

• Love 4

I am so glad I stuck with Bloodline, but I have to say this episode felt a little disappointing after the roller coaster that was episodes 9-12.  For 1, I guessed way back when that Danny had a son so as soon as they showed a teenage boy at the end I knew who it was.  And 2, once they killed Danny in episode 12, I knew that they were going to set it up to frame the drug runners, so the police motive "reveal" wasn't very revealing, right down to the seersucker suit.  Don't get me wrong, the acting was amazing, and I had my moments (started bawling my eyes out when Danny's mother learned of her son's death), but episode 12 felt more like the finale and 13 like a tag-on wrap up.  That said, I think this was one of the best done shows I've seen in a while, so I will be back for season 2.

• Love 10
(edited)

Yes, I guess that makes sense. The thing about hiding the drugs behind the wall panel is it makes the criminals look incompetent, since the cops found it so easily.  "Ha, ha... they didn't look here!"

I assumed the police used drug sniffing dogs given that they knew there was a boatload (hah) of drugs missing, and John would have counted on that.

I started the series feeling really bad for Danny bc his family was jerks. Even with what they knew about the abusive dad, John still said he was "a God" at his funeral. But Danny became so maddening of a character, kudos to the actor. 

My reaction to the "God" comment at the funeral was that John did not use that in a good way, but in a "terrible, vengeful, God" way. He did talk about how harsh he was, as I recall. Seemed to me the kind of careful wording someone who grew up in an abusive family climate would use.

I did love how most the voiceovers were from one speech at the end, and that speech was not admitting (to John's audience) that they'd killed Danny, but that they wronged him.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 7
(edited)

I finally finished the season. I liked the show, but I honestly hated the siblings way more than Danny. To me they all seemed like self-righteous assholes, and Danny didn't come across as that threatening, imo. Not to the point where he himself was going to try to murder someone, from the way they all acted.

He seemed determined to get into trouble himself, but I never bought for one single second that he was going to drown John's daughter on that boat ride, for example. All of their reactions were so over the top, like he was some secret serial killer with everything he did, when the truth is I don't think we ever saw him physically threaten anyone, beat anyone up, hold a gun to anyone's head. He just would kinda skulk around making insinuating remarks and then walk off. The way Jacinda Barrett was so terrified of him was pathetic. I would find his behavior more annoying than scary (and she's a terrible actress by the way).

I'm not saying he was good guy, but the way they all acted around him constantly, I could totally see why he hated them so much. I'm not rooting for any of them, I want them all to end up in prison, lol.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 12

The ghost was definitely Sarah.  I'm assuming that "Mia Kirshner" is how Danny sees Sarah as an older woman.  The idea that she has been with him since he was 15 makes sense that she would "grow up" in his mind.

Sort of the opposite of a Beautiful Mind when we find out the niece hasn't grown and know she is not real

I bought it.  None of them knew what he was capable of.  I'm not sure that Danny knew what he was capable of.

I thought that the siblings saw Danny as very menacing and desperate.  He created a vortex around him wherever he went and people ended up getting sucked into it and the siblings knew this from past experience with him.  Everything he touched turned to shit.  Seems like the siblings and his mom tried to be kind to him, but no good deed went unpunished.  His behavior was inconsistent and unpredictable.  It probably wasn't that he would drown Janey, but no one could be 100% sure that he wouldn't.  Meg couldn't be sure that he would tell Marco about Meg's cheating; he was acting like a cat with a half-dead mouse. He was intent on getting revenge and he had nothing to lose, which made him even more dangerous.  Even I wanted to kill him.

Yeah pretty much this. Ben Mendelsohn was great as Danny and I'm very sorry to see him go. And for a while there I did feel sorry for Danny, but even I was over Danny's crap by the end of it so I couldn't really blame his family for getting tired of it too. Like I get he had kind of crappy childhood particularly after Sarah died, but by the end of it all I kept thinking was at what point as an adult do your continual crappy choices become your own responsibility and not everyone elses?

• Love 6

I thought the tapes the detective gave him, gave him something tangible to hold on to and hate.  I think he listened to the lies over and over and it just made him angrier and more vindictive.  I don't think it is allowed for an ex-cop to take evidence.

That was when things started to change for Danny.  He became very vengeful and more focused on exacting his revenge on each and every family member even a very young Meg who did not even lie. 

He became a man with nothing to lose and that makes someone very dangerous.  I was sympathetic to him in the beginning because it seemed as if he was treated unfairly by his family.  They wanted him to come to the big family celebration, just so the whole family was there.  The perfect Rayburns and all the children, look at how great we are. But they really did not want him there and I think panicked when he wanted to stay.

Also Danny was loyal to no one and was a shitty friend to the O' Bannens-even though they were his "real family".  They were there for him and he used them. I liked when he was talking to their mother and she basically said the whole family was a fraud.  True.  Yes they did a bad thing but I am not so sure they are good people.

• Love 8

So I guess season 2 will be John running for sheriff and Danny Jr. skulking around claiming he's going to find a way to bring him down.  

Pretty good 13 hours.  I'd watch another season.  Hopefully they have another decent story.  

What lies was the P.I. referring to, with Sally?  Could he know they killed Danny?  

I kind of balked at John and Kevin driving John's truck full of suitcases in the open bed to Miami.  There must be a lot of traffic cameras along the way.  Couldn't they borrow a car or something?  

Sissy Spacek's weird pig-like nose was freaking me out.  And how Sally wouldn't STFU half the time.  I kind of enjoyed Danny's smackdown of her.  I had trouble sympathizing with her after seeing her snub crying Sarah and then leaving her kids with an abusive father and an irresponsible teen with boat keys.  

I definitely got the feeling that this was planned as a one season miniseries, and then the crew got the word that Netflix was interested in more so they had to tag Danny's kid onto the end. And I really had to laugh with the whole pearl-clutching "He's got lip piercings, he must be DANGEROUS!" shot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I kind of wish there had been some O. Henry or Primal Fear style twist at the end.  Sally was the abusive parent, John was the one whose watch Sarah died on, Marco knocked up Belle, something.  

The family that dies together lies together?  The lies they told after Sarah's death were like a dress rehearsal for this new cover up.

There's a scene just before the pier dedication in which Danny's son opens one of the envelopes in the pile that I believe is in Danny's apartment.  He pulls out a smaller envelope with money in it, pictures and a ripped piece of paper with John's name on it.  

• Love 1
(edited)

There's a scene just before the pier dedication in which Danny's son opens one of the envelopes in the pile that I believe is in Danny's apartment.  He pulls out a smaller envelope with money in it, pictures and a ripped piece of paper with John's name on it.

ooooohhhhhh, missed that!

The one thing that I didn't get was, why was Danny sending the money to his vacant apartment as opposed to a P.O. Box.  Even if he was going with the idea that Lawry's men or anyone else didn't know where he lived in Miami, why send the money to a vacant apartment.  He wasn't even checking on the place.  He could of been randomly robbed by someone who knew he wasn't staying there full time.

I thought Danny's Miami girlfriend said that he'd never have enough money to pay off the guys he owed. So I thought, the money in his apartment was returned by them as an FU if you think this pittance is going to do anything.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff

The family that dies together lies together?  The lies they told after Sarah's death were like a dress rehearsal for this new cover up.

There's a scene just before the pier dedication in which Danny's son opens one of the envelopes in the pile that I believe is in Danny's apartment.  He pulls out a smaller envelope with money in it, pictures and a ripped piece of paper with John's name on it.  

That was actually John and Kevin who did that when they were in Danny's apartment.

ooooohhhhhh, missed that!

I thought Danny's Miami girlfriend said that he'd never have enough money to pay off the guys he owed. So I thought, the money in his apartment was returned by them as an FU if you think this pittance is going to do anything.

The envelopes were unopened.  And held a shitload of money.  I think loan sharks take payments.  

I at first thought "more to come" might've been loan shark money but I think if Danny wouldn't pay back his own brother, he had no plans to pay back Miami loan sharks who seemed to not be looking too hard for him.  

I thought the son might be living in the apt. but he would've opened the envelopes, or stuck them in a cabinet or something.  And probably brought in the mail.  Well, maybe not, a teen.  

I was unclear who was opening the one with John's pic and address.  I thought it was John at first but it makes more sense it was the teen, which would explain how he found John.   

I bought it.  None of them knew what he was capable of.  I'm not sure that Danny knew what he was capable of.

I thought that the siblings saw Danny as very menacing and desperate.  He created a vortex around him wherever he went and people ended up getting sucked into it and the siblings knew this from past experience with him.  Everything he touched turned to shit.  Seems like the siblings and his mom tried to be kind to him, but no good deed went unpunished.  His behavior was inconsistent and unpredictable.  It probably wasn't that he would drown Janey, but no one could be 100% sure that he wouldn't.  Meg couldn't be sure that he would tell Marco about Meg's cheating; he was acting like a cat with a half-dead mouse. He was intent on getting revenge and he had nothing to lose, which made him even more dangerous.  Even wanted to kill him.

That's how I look at Danny as well.  Even if he never intended to hurt Janey, he sent a very clear message to John that he COULD easily do something harmful, and that's not something I would dare take a chance on with my child.  

• Love 8

The one scene in the finale that really bothered me was the 'interrogation' of John by the other cops. I fully expected them to say something to each other after he left the room, something original like "Heh heh...we got 'em where we want 'em... overconfident!" because if they didn't suspect him of killing Danny that was a very bizarre way to "break the news" that it was a murder for hire by the drug boss. And for John to even question that line of reasoning was weird too.

Like Damages, it's a little heavy handed with all the mustache-twirling and that tropey final scene. But also like Damages, the performances made it utterly enjoyable in spite of its flaws.

• Love 2

That was actually John and Kevin who did that when they were in Danny's apartment.

Incorrect.  This scene is after John and Kevin have left.  It's looking over the shoulder of the someone wearing the necklace that Danny's son is wearing.  

Incorrect.  This scene is after John and Kevin have left.  It's looking over the shoulder of the someone wearing the necklace that Danny's son is wearing.  

Your absolutely right.  I apologize.  I completely missed that.

• Love 1

The one scene in the finale that really bothered me was the 'interrogation' of John by the other cops. I fully expected them to say something to each other after he left the room, something original like "Heh heh...we got 'em where we want 'em... overconfident!" because if they didn't suspect him of killing Danny that was a very bizarre way to "break the news" that it was a murder for hire by the drug boss. And for John to even question that line of reasoning was weird too.

Like Damages, it's a little heavy handed with all the mustache-twirling and that tropey final scene. But also like Damages, the performances made it utterly enjoyable in spite of its flaws.

This was my one dischord as well.  That scene was very unbelievable from both sides.  Why were they directing the questions to John like that?  The questions DID sound very accusatory and that was just to fool the audience into thinking John was being accused.  That's not good storytelling.  Also, why would John act so incredulous?  That was an obvious conclusion to come to after everything that had happened before.  John's a detective.  The others wouldn't have thought anything odd if John came to that same conclusion without it being spoon fed to him and without it being made to seem like some out of the air theory.  I loved this series, but that one scene bothered me.  

• Love 3

So I guess the son perhaps got the more to come letter with the photo and John's name? Because why would Danny mail that to himself?

It was a good ending, good tie in of them wearing the jackets originally for the wedding.

Meg leaving Florida and going to NY in the aftermath was smart. The drugs behind the wall panel was too, it got the dealers off from trying to hurt the family since Danny stuck them on his siblings. Putting the drugs in Danny's apartment all along for them to find put the drugs back on Danny.

• Love 1

I seriously loved this show, and I'm so glad that I stuck with it through the end, which was magnificent. I really hope that there is a season 2.

• Love 3

Loved everything about the show. My hubby and I binge-watched it in two days and were so bummed when we reached the end. Can't wait for season two (although I can't imagine how they'll fill the void left by Danny's death...I love, love. love Kyle Chander but Ben Mendelsohn was a revelation).

• Love 3

I just read the amazing review by Jason Martin. NAILED it. It makes me want to go back and sheepishly edit my original, negative post. Looking at this series through Martin's eyes makes me realize just how good it really was. Thank you!

Wow. Could they have packed any more stupid into a single episode? Meg acting all freaky and suspicious, first with the traffic cop, then with Marco. John leaving the hospital after a heart episode. Kevin living up to his useless reputation by being passed out from booze and coke when John needs him to help hide the body while he’s having his heart issue.  And Sally just now twigs that the kids aren’t telling her what’s going on. Not to mention her ‘You don’t give up on family.’ Hypocrite alert! Wasn’t she in the act of abandoning her family when Sarah drowned? Didn’t she allow her husband to terrorize her children? In the first half-hour of this episode, there wasn’t anyone I didn’t want to smack. Except Marco. Btw, the look on John’s face when that guy asked him to run for sheriff…when he’s fresh from murdering his brother…was kind of priceless.

Now Meg says she can’t lie to her mother? Please. She just said that ‘lawyers are good liars.’ And she’s lied to everyone (hey, Marco) through this whole series. Meg, we know you can do it. And Kevin is barely an adult himself, so the fact that he and Belle are planning to glue their marriage back together with the help of a surprise baby…well, that’s just a world of hurt waiting to happen next season.

I liked this last ep well enough, but it was less suspenseful than some of the others. We saw everybody four days after the murder first, so there was no reason to worry they’d get caught with the body. I’d have been a bit disappointed in the ending if I didn’t already know there’s going to be a season 2. I did finally feel some sympathy for Sally when Danny’s body was discovered. So now the woman’s lost two children and a husband. And her living children are all liars, LOL. Have to say kudos to all the actors in this series, I think they totally sold their twisted selves and their dysfunctional family unit. Hope Chloe Sevigny comes back too, she did a lot with her role. I’ll miss Danny in the next season; I suppose he’ll be back in some flashbacks, but it won’t be the same. I hope they do something more interesting with SonOfDanny than just make him a chip off the ol' creepy block.

• Love 1

Don't think I'm coming back for a second season.  (snip)   Have to admit, full disclosure, I never watched "Damages" and I loathed "How to Commit a Murder" (and stopped watching it) for the same reason I'm dropping this series. 

I'm not coming back, either.  One season was enough for me.  Should have been a 10-episode limited series, instead.   I LOVED "Damages" (especially the first season), so that's what convinced me to tune in here.  Glenn Close was incredibly compelling (Rose Byrne was fantastic, too).  Riveting drama, that made very good use (much more so than Bloodline) of the flash-forward scenes.   With "How To Get Away With Murder," I endured four episodes before jumping ship. It was awful. Not even Viola Davis could save that one for me.  But give season one of "Damages" a try... and see what you think.  Way better than Bloodline, imho. 

• Love 1

Just finished watching all 13 episodes. For me, this wasn't quite on the same level as other Netflix productions, but it hooked me enough to keep watching. I know it was a melodrama, but certain things strained credulity - Sissy Spacek's character was unbelievably dense, and Danny's character seemed to veer too abruptly over to the villainous dark side for my taste.  To me it seemed like as much of a fuck-up as he was, he would have been capable of understanding that his siblings were frightened children who were coerced into fabricating a lie. I just didn't buy him trying  to take vegeance the way he did - that part rang false. I wish they had done more of a surprise twist somehow with his character. It's a testament to Ben Mendelsohn's performance that I was somehow rooting for Danny despite the vile things he did as the show progressed.

I really like Kyle Chandler, he's perfect as a solid Dudley-do-right type (I loved his cat and mouse back and forth with Leo Di Caprio in "Wolf of Wall Street") but I was completely blown away by Ben Mendelsohn. I was unfamiliar with him before watching this, and will keep a look out for other projects he's in - I think he's going to be huge. The amount of nuance he brought to that performance was amazing. For me, he was the only reason to watch this - not sure they can make Season 2 as gripping without him. I also never would have guessed in a million years that he's really Australian!

• Love 4

I don't know if I'm in for another season, either, the more that I think about the ending of this one.  Usually following seasons are less good, so it'd be a low bar.  

I haven't seen Chandler in anything since Early Edition and enjoyed him and I love Cardelini.  I'll put Damages and Friday Night Lights on my list.  Though I can't stand Connie Britton or bratty teen girl characters, so that one's iffy.  

I bought it.  None of them knew what he was capable of.  I'm not sure that Danny knew what he was capable of.

I thought that the siblings saw Danny as very menacing and desperate.  He created a vortex around him wherever he went and people ended up getting sucked into it and the siblings knew this from past experience with him.  Everything he touched turned to shit.  Seems like the siblings and his mom tried to be kind to him, but no good deed went unpunished.  His behavior was inconsistent and unpredictable.  It probably wasn't that he would drown Janey, but no one could be 100% sure that he wouldn't.  Meg couldn't be sure that he would tell Marco about Meg's cheating; he was acting like a cat with a half-dead mouse. He was intent on getting revenge and he had nothing to lose, which made him even more dangerous.  Even wanted to kill him.

Agree 100%  I spent the final episode rooting for the siblings to get away with it.  He was dangerous, erratic, and a risk to everyone around him.

Which is the only thing that presents a problem for me.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to want them to be found out in season 2, because - bluntly - I don't.  I don't really feel the tiniest peep of a 'Danny deserves justice' at all.

• Love 14

I don't know if I'm in for another season, either, the more that I think about the ending of this one. Usually following seasons are less good, so it'd be a low bar.

I haven't seen Chandler in anything since Early Edition and enjoyed him and I love Cardelini. I'll put Damages and Friday Night Lights on my list. Though I can't stand Connie Britton or bratty teen girl characters, so that one's iffy.

I'm begging you to watch FNL with an open mind. It's, imo, one of the best television shows ever made.

Edited by Scottish Girl
  • Love 20

Is it weird that I love Kyle Chandler's voice, especially in the voice overs? He was the reason that I watched this show. I have a huge crush on him and think that he is absolutely gorgeous.

The guy who played Danny was amazing. He made me hate his character so much.

I think the only person I sort of liked is John. I understand where he is coming from. He had to be "good" because Danny wasn't. And he was put into a position where he had to take the weight of the family and all of their problems. I had sympathy for him. 

• Love 13