Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Shep-Istotle

• Start Topic

I don't know, that clip they kept playing of Kathryn running after Thomas in her fur coat and heels... Nah, still not as bad as the Real HoWives with their fake tears and constant need to "clear the air" or demand an apology for some imagined slight.

• Love 2

Shep was at peak adorableness in this episode. I don't know if it was the haircut, the casual use of 'precipitous,' the fox cummerbund or what, but I swooned at least three different times.

On the first episode of RHoNY this season, Bethenny and Luann were talking about losing too much weight makes their faces look haggard - Danni and Craig need to take some advice from those hoWives. It might have been the tank top, but Craig's arms were uncomfortably skinny.

Did anyone notice how horrible Jennifer's spray tan was when she lifted her arms? Her pits were as pale as a baby's bottom in contrast to her Oompa Loompa arms.

• Love 3

Shep may be my spirit animal.

I'd love it if Kathryn gave Whitney nothing to work with: just blandly polite and not engage whenever possible. Whitney would be increasingly erratic as he tried to garner an outlandish reaction from her and she'd have the upper hand. As for Thomas, she has to accept she won't change him, and either live with it or leave him. I vote the latter.

• Love 5

Shep was at peak adorableness in this episode. I don't know if it was the haircut, the casual use of 'precipitous,' the fox cummerbund or what, but I swooned at least three different times.

On the first episode of RHoNY this season, Bethenny and Luann were talking about losing too much weight makes their faces look haggard - Danni and Craig need to take some advice from those hoWives. It might have been the tank top, but Craig's arms were uncomfortably skinny.

Did anyone notice how horrible Jennifer's spray tan was when she lifted her arms? Her pits were as pale as a baby's bottom in contrast to her Oompa Loompa arms.

Allson, it's funny you mention the loss of weight.  It happened to me.  I didn't notice it until I took a picture with my husband.  My face was sucken in, wrinkles prominate around my mouth, below my cheeks.  I gained 8 lbs back and much better.  I did look haggard, my upper lip was freaky.  Monkey looking. So, your comment hit home.  But I'm much older than these kids are.  51.  Someone pm me a good face moisterizer and a great body lotion ;) 

• Love 3

I know this sounds weird, but Cameran and Shep seem to have amazing chemistry. And such a great friendship -- it seems very natural and easy, even on camera. I would love to know the backstory on their friendship!

I agree with the poster that it's amazing how grounded Cam turned out, being on the RW and all. I'm glad she wasn't one of the people who tried to turn "Real World" into a career (like being on ALL of the stupid challenges). 

• Love 5

No!!! Have I missed this before?! Drunkie-O?!! I have been laughing for 20 minutes now!

DrSparkles, just my name for Patricia and her son. She reminds me of someone trying to be Jackie O on the drunken down low.

• Love 5

Thomas' campaign - was that just a joke or to keep his name in the press?   Not sure what he was thinking that tv ad would do for him, plus there's that pesky conviction and time served.  Then he said - I guess as a way of saying why he didn't thank Kathryn at that sad, lonely fund raiser, it's such a conservative state, people won't approve of a baby mama.  If that is the case, he would've married Kathryn already.  He must even know he had a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Whitney is just creepy.  I'd like to hand him a bottle of shampoo and a comb.  And his clothes never look like they fit quite right.  He's so in love with Thomas.

Kathryn needs a stylist and a wake up call.  Thomas isn't ever putting a ring on it.  He doesn't want to be tied down to one woman.  

Craig is a hot mess.  Knowing very smart people who took the bar exam, they studied long and hard - and were able to pass on the first try.  I can't imagine what employer would put up with him coming and going whenever it pleases him, even if it's just clerical work.  An entry level attorney gets the grunt work, and there are long hours for the first few years.  They don't just give you a big corner office and let you come in around noon.  It may be that Craig really doesn't want to be an attorney.

Love seeing Charleston.  I was there years ago for just one day.  I wish I could have seen more.

• Love 2

Sometimes this show makes me feel awkward, and it's not because of Whitney's leather jacket. They always caption Thomas' "Plantation," with all that implies. Then when Cooper was describing his "Old South" themed fashion show, they panned to the models, one of whom was an African-American. Charleston is a beautiful city, and I love my charming southerners, but there will always be aspects of the south that are despicable and cringe-worthy.

• Love 14

DrSparkles, just my name for Patricia and her son. She reminds me of someone trying to be Jackie O on the drunken down low.

I am not kidding you, I laughed all damn night about that. So damn spot-on!!! Kadooz!!

Jackie O on the drunken down low.

Genius!

I wonder if Patricia has had face work done recently, because in the scene where they are readying to leave the house, her eyes were uneven. Maybe her Botox hasn't settled. Also, she doesn't seem very vigorous; we don't see her moving around much. Except for that mouth.

For all her snide and condescending shade, Patricia is not to the manner born. The people she is making fun of, are.

Interesting that the Palmer House was once owned by the Ravenels (according to Kathryn).

Kensie is adorable and has her mother's eyes.

I love Cameran's fashion. I suspect production has given her a clothing budget.

Craig is either 1) really drinking too much and his friends are beginning to be concerned about that and his lack of nutrition or 2) his storyline is scripted. Or, maybe he's toying with the idea of an entertainment career now that he's dabbled in reality TV and modeling. Landon (Landers? Laudanum? I can't remember her name.) made the astute comment that he's too old for modeling - it's true.  But I think he's looking around before he decides to dive into the law.

Jennifer looks horrible. Very un-Charleston.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

LOL at Landon’s comment that Craig’s too old to model. IDK what kind of events she thinks she is going to do in Charleston though if she thought Cooper’s fashion show was peanuts.  I don’t know much about the Charleston fashion scene but I can’t imagine that there are huge important fashion events happening that often.

I don’t blame Craig for being irritated at Shep for lecturing him about partying.  I love Shep (dreamy) and I think his heart was in the right place but it would be quite annoying to hear that you are partying too much from a trust fund baby partier friend.  And I guess we never know the timing of anything, but it seems like it might be September or October??  So I don’t think it is totally unreasonable for Craig to say he isn’t going to start studying for the bar until the next month.  Like he said, he can’t just take the bar whenever he wants.  He has to wait until February.  I wonder if he passed or even took it though…

I don’t really understand what the deal is with Craig’s job.  In the first episode, we see his boss tell him that he needs to come into the office more.  It doesn’t seem like that is happening.  So does his boss not care after all?

LOL at Shep being appalled by Craig’s room.

On what planet did Kathryn think her BBQ fundraiser outfit was appropriate? Omg, ridiculous. However, the worst outfit of the episode, nay, the series, was Jennifer’s fashion show outfit.   Kathryn’s outfit was kind of cool, just wildly inappropriate for the event.  Jennifer’s was like a trashy club outfit from 2004. (Lord forgive me.)

I wish someone here knew about TRav’s open house and could have gone!!!

Sometimes this show makes me feel awkward, and it's not because of Whitney's leather jacket. They always caption Thomas' "Plantation," with all that implies. Then when Cooper was describing his "Old South" themed fashion show, they panned to the models, one of whom was an African-American. Charleston is a beautiful city, and I love my charming southerners, but there will always be aspects of the south that are despicable and cringe-worthy.

Very true and interesting how they try to gloss over terrible things, like slavery.

• Love 2

They will all be called "plantations" until they are gone. I lived in Virginia for a long time, and the ones still standing there are called Shirley Plantation, etc. Brookland is the name of Thomas' and production could put that in the subtitle, but they stick with plantation. They could title it "Brookland, Thomas' Country Home"... but they don't.

Oddly enough, Thomas Jefferson's home is called Monticello, not Monticello Plantation. And he was one of the biggest slave-owners in the country way back when.

I don't agree with the use of the word either, but it's there and will be there until those old homes are all gone. All of the historical markers designate them as plantations. It wouldn't be right to call them mansions, either.

• Love 2

My family still owns a couple of modest cotton plantations. They've always been called plantations. These are not people who swan about in white linen and drink juleps all day. They work HARD and make a modest living.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4

How much do we think Drunkie-O's "butler" gets paid? It's one thing to bring her a drink on a tray, but when he presented her shoes on the same tray, I just about got my eyes stuck from rolling them so hard.

• Love 1

How much do we think Drunkie-O's "butler" gets paid? It's one thing to bring her a drink on a tray, but when he presented her shoes on the same tray, I just about got my eyes stuck from rolling them so hard.

She has a couple who both look like they're into retirement age - which makes me wonder WHY they would want that job. 

I don’t blame Craig for being irritated at Shep for lecturing him about partying.  I love Shep (dreamy) and I think his heart was in the right place but it would be quite annoying to hear that you are partying too much from a trust fund baby partier friend.

In Shep's defense, because I love him ; ) , he did say he was worried about Craig, but that seeing his room really confirmed for him that Craig's partying has gotten out of control and excessive.  I do have to agree.  His room looked akin to something you would see on Intervention. 

• Love 2
Craig's face is looking a little methy.

Mr. Wovenloaf begrudgingly watched this episode with me and during the scene at Craig's house, he was like "is that dude a junky?" Craig looked so rough in that scene. He looked better at the fashion show, with all the makeup I guess. I don't find his descent into alcoholism very entertaining. I see a difference between him and Shep in that, like Shep said, Shep knows when it's time to go home.

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 1

I can see Craig being annoyed as well. If he is still managing to support himself, then honestly, it isn't anyone else's business. If he was borrowing or mooching off Shep, then that is a different story. But I have not maybe not the most fiscally responsible things (travel extensively for one) and it would upset me if someone put down my choices. Hey, I am not borrowing from anyone, I needed a break, I saved my money, and now I'm doing this, and then I'm ready to go back to being responsible. Maybe Craig just needs a little time off after the pressures of law school and before being an official, bar-passed, having to show up to the office by 9am, attorney.

But I still think Shep was being sweet in his concern, and agree with the poster that it made him seem hotter to act a little more like his age, and show some maturity. I like how he says everything with a smile. There doesn't seem to be any malice in him, and it is so refreshing to see on reality TV, and such a stark contrast to Whitney. Whitney, I can just imagine plotting. He kind of reminds me of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons.

Edited by nenya
  • Love 4

Sweet baby Jesus, Shep got soooo hot in this episode! He's always been adorable but this still fun but knows when to rein it in Shep....just...raawwrrrr! I wanna run downtown and stake out Republic and his restaurant now.

Loved Cooper and his high-pitched Landon mimicry....he was spot on.

Craig is making me sad.

• Love 4

Craig is not looking good. Skinny, all those lines in his face...and then that disgusting room. If I were a girl dating him and saw that I would be turned off. I see him headed down a bad path unfortunately. Yes, he's only 26 and should be out partying and having fun but he seems to be going a step beyond.

I've had a huge crush on Shep from day one but yes, seeing him this episode being "mature" and leaving the bar early just upped my love for him tenfold. I too love that he is always smiling and has such a happy energy.

Whitney is the yin to Shep's yang. All darkness and a cold heart.

Drunkie-O is the funniest thing I have heard in eons and SPOT ON!!

I think Kathryn will be so relieved that she dodged the bullet of becoming Mrs. Ravenel. Now she can head back to the bar scene and party it up, albeit with a child at home. But at least she won't be 25 and divorced. She can start fairly fresh.

• Love 3

The problem Kathryn is going to be facing is the fact that the young men with money will not want to marry a woman who has another high-profile man's child out of wedlock. It "just isn't done" by the uppercrust in the South. And having Thomas' name attached is just another nail in the coffin.

• Love 3

It was great to see Shep step up and try to give some wisdom to Craig.  I get that both thought it might be hypocritical of Shep, but he is 9 years older and knows when to quit.  He also understands that he only has this life because of his family money.  I'm sure he's seen less fortunate (average) friends on the same path as Craig and wanted to save him some scars.

I don't know how Craig is holding onto his "clerical" job, which I suspect means (paralegal).  My assistant is in the office everyday before me and usually doesn't leave until I already have.  He may not be answering phones, but there's no way that he can only work from 3-5 and "get his work done."  I'm sure he's out partying by 8pm.

I can't figure out why Whitney is giving himself such a bad edit, he is an executive producer afterall.  Perhaps he's just that pompous that he thinks the audience won't notice?  I think he comes across as pretty weak onscreen.  His business partner calls him out on not being involved, he put together a ridiculous "campaign" commercial for his friend, and he plays in a rock band with kids half his age that he is probably paying to be in the band.  Kathryn is immature and I get that he's jealous of her, but she has an excuse for her behavior (she's 22), what's a 40+ year old man's excuse?  I do feel a little sorry for his mother (as much as you can for someone that rich and snobby) buying into the fantasy that he has a European girlfriend.  Who puts magazine clippings into a $600 album?  Does her butler bring her her shoes on the same silver platter he delivers the martini's on?

Landon still doesn't fit in with the show.  I couldn't believe her comments about the fashion show.  If she wants to work in NY go to NY, I thought the designer was very gracious to let her help.

Cameran is still my favorite.  But seriously, she needs to host a party or something.  We only ever see her showing up at other people's events.

• Love 3
The problem Kathryn is going to be facing is the fact that the young men with money will not want to marry a woman who has another high-profile man's child out of wedlock. It "just isn't done" by the uppercrust in the South. And having Thomas' name attached is just another nail in the coffin.

I agree that she won't find it easy to meet and attract a mature, responsible, decent upper-crust guy. However, never underestimate the number of boy-men with money in the South. Kathryn will probably attract someone similar to Thomas but 15-20 years younger. He'll be all intrigued by her "fame" and probably a big crazy mess himself. I hope this doesn't happen to her, and especially Kensie.

• Love 4

If he is still managing to support himself, then honestly, it isn't anyone else's business. If he was borrowing or mooching off Shep, then that is a different story.

Craig was at the bar with an empty wallet and Shep was also there, so maybe Craig WAS mooching off Shep.  Don't know this for sure though.

Agree that the apparent descent into alcoholism is difficult to watch.  Another thing that bothers me about Craig -- in his TH spots, he never looks directly at the camera.  His eyes are always roving around all over the place.  I think he's uncomfortable talking about his life right now becaue it's so fucked up and he knows it.

• Love 3

No matter Craig's situation, a 25(?) year old isn't going to listen to anyone no matter what. Even if he was broke. But at least Shep and Cameron can say they tried.

So true. Craig's not in the dark about it either. He's made a few comments alluding to it (the Charleston definition of an alcoholic and that his parents likely didn't mean drinking when they said put everything in to what you do). He's damn good looking, on a Bravo show, has a law degree, yeah, I'd be doing it too if I'm honest. Hell I did it with sort of one out of three of those.

In a huge soap opera-esque betrayal of loyalty, I found Shep annoying this week. I am on Craig's side on this one. I guess I don't find "I have a trust fund and am a decade older, therefore do as I say, not as I do" a great inspirational speech. More I thought "fuck you, Shep" (blasphemy!).

Also kinda think the whole dirty room is being treated more like we found used syringes and spoons and packets of white powder. He's a bachelor; it happens.

Indeed, dear friends, it feels like Opposite Day (phone capitlaized, ha!) when I'm not groveling and pining for Shep. Don't make the kid without a silver spoon the bad guy. We should all be so lucky to have that nothing can happen to me and isn't life such a song and dance due to my ancestors working to guarantee such self esteem.

• Love 2

I think one of the most concerning things about Craig's drinking is his parochial choices in alcohol: Cuervo, Jäger, Malibu....

C'mon man, a bottle of something not found in a frat house, Plymouth, Cruzan, Aperol, something!

• Love 1

Random stuff I noticed:

Kensie has Cindy Lou Who eyes. And I mean that in the best way. 

When Craig was walking in the fashion show, Shep made a comment that "What a dork!" and T-Rav was heard to say, "He looks like a male stripper." The way it was done, it wasn't at all clear that they were talking about Craig but it was made to seem so.

Are Craig and Shep frenemies? Shep seems just a tad jellie and Craig seems to think Shep is, just a little. And yeah, why did Shep think it was ok to lead the cameras into Craig's room? The rest of the house looked ok. It made for good TV and showed that Craig may be in some trouble, but it was an invasion of privacy. (I guess Craig saw the cameras going upstairs, so it was probably all part of the script.)

And Shep -- you don't need to be jealous of Craig for any reason whatsoever! Ok, Craig has the "male model" look, with better "facial symmetry" . I don't go for that look, and what are those growths on the side of his face? His personality is a huge turnoff to me, while Shep is gorgeous and has the personality to take him to 10+ status.

That said, watching rich boys T-Rav and Shep talking about how Craig needed to rein in his partying ways made me think they were acting somewhat superior in an unbecoming way. They were probably just as bad or worse when they were in their 20s (for T-Rav, that would have been in the '80s), and yeah, they had family money to fall back on no matter how badly they messed up their jobs. Craig may be screwing up now, but he's got time to pull himself together. Maybe he really does need this break between school and work life. However, if he's expecting older party-buddy Shep to pay the bar tab, then maybe he'll have to listen to a lecture now and then.

Rewatched the episode. Good lord, how did I miss Jennifer's shiny burnt sienna chest at the fashion show on the first viewing??? Whitney with his porny shades and Jennifer with that top look like extras on a porn video. Blurgh.

• Love 2

It may be that Craig really doesn't want to be an attorney.

A lot of attorneys don't want to be attorneys.  Craig parties nonstop, doesn't seem to understand why going into the office to do your job once in a while might mean something to his employer, doesn't carry his own cash, and that room being the disaster that it is does add up to something amiss, in my opinion.  Does he have ADD? Can't take the time to organize his room, can't sit down to study, can't sit down at the office.  I think the show's success has made him think he can get some kind of brass ring out of his life that was never reachable before. But, at the same time, it's a very temporal brass ring. Whatever money he thinks he could make from modeling is no where near what he could make from establishing a career.

Plus I don't find him attractive, and he does seem too old to start out. Maybe he can be a thing in Charleston, but that's a small town. I had a friend who grew up there and left for a bigger city...she said there was nothing there. Does he have school loans? He seems like he's regressing and at 26 it's okay to have fun but, geez, how empty do you have to feel inside to go out to bars and drink until the wee hours every single night? Doesn't anyone's liver give out on them?

• Love 2

Whitney with his porny shades and Jennifer with that top look like extras on a porn video. Blurgh.

Whitney looks like he wants to be in the 70s with his hair, clothes etc.  If I had a time machine, I'd help him out.

I don't think Shep is jealous of Craig at all, from the not-so-subtle jabs, I'd say it's vice versa.

I don't think Shep is jealous of Craig.  I do think Shep is a little wistful about being 26 and carefree.  Same thing with Thomas.  I'd think they'd definitely like to hop back and relive those years.  (Not that they can't do the same behavior now, I think they'd like to loop and play that time over and over.)

• Love 1

Shep may know when to leave the bar now at age 35 but did he at age 26? 

LOL.  Or 33.  And let's be real... leaving the bar "early" for Shep was probably 1:30 a.m. I adore him, but the guy is still an unabashed partier.

Cameron is such a rare jewel, in that she is effortlessly beautiful, she has great style, a sense of humor, she's intelligent, entertaining, fun, appropriately mature for her age...basically an embodiment of what many people would consider The Whole Package, and yet it's impossible to even be jealous of her.  I just find myself thinking I'm glad things are going well for her because she's pretty awesome, and it's the awesome people I want to see enjoying a good life.  I think that's why I haaaaaate Kim Zolciak's guts so hard - she is the opposite of Cameran in every way and gets to live this lavish life, always by running through someone else's money.  It pisses me off to no end when grotesque human piles of garbage like Kim get everything they want, and then gloat about how they deserve it.  Cameran is ten thousand times the human being Kim is.  Autocorrect keeps changing the spelling of Cameran's name and frankly, I'm tired of going back and fixing it

YASSSSS to all of this.   "Effortlessly beautiful" is the perfect description.  I'd also add effortlessly chic, as her outfits are always spot-on.  Whether she's wearing Lily P or Target, the girl's got amazing style.  Of course, having a nearly perfect figure helps in that regard!

But hey, I even liked her even when she was on The Real World and somewhat immature. 

And UGH to even thinking about Kim Z.   Gross famewhore. 

• Love 2

Is that woman a campaign advisor or a clothing consultant?

You have to be both. Pick the wrong tie or the wrong suit.... of course, she's not consulting with Kathryn. Who has her own stylist. Who's bad. Very bad.

• Love 2

I don't think it's so much that Craig doesn't want to be a lawyer as it is Craig doesn't want to work.

Completely agree.  Even his talk about modeling is bogus.  Modeling isn't just showing up at a friend's fashion show and wearing clothes while people oohh and ahh.  Modeling requires photos and hustling for work to build a portfolio so you can get more work.  The only place Craig wants to hustle to is bars and clubs.

He's hanging out with people who are wealthy and don't have to work, and it would seem he's taken to that lifestyle.  I can understand that - I would rather not work, either!

Howevah, Craig will need to come down to earth at some point because the Southern Charm checks won't last forever.

• Love 4

You have to be both. Pick the wrong tie or the wrong suit.... of course, she's not consulting with Kathryn. Who has her own stylist. Who's bad. Very bad.

At the very least TRav should start matching his ties with her bras.....

• Love 9
Modeling requires photos and hustling for work to build a portfolio so you can get more work.  The only place Craig wants to hustle to is bars and clubs.

He's hanging out with people who are wealthy and don't have to work, and it would seem he's taken to that lifestyle.  I can understand that - I would rather not work, either!

Howevah, Craig will need to come down to earth at some point because the Southern Charm checks won't last forever.

Nor will his "fame" from this show. 

Craig is enjoying the party-boy life and maybe he's also hoping to meet a rich young woman. Gold-digging works both ways.

• Love 2

I like Thomas's campaign consultant. She acted like the only adult in the room and was a professional. Certainly more professional than Whitney, who seemed to be thinking that HE was Thomas's consultant and he shouldn't have hired her. Lord save us! At least Thomas knew he needed real help.

Landon is ok so far but she should not have talked down the fashion show as if it was such small potatoes and well beneath the jobs she was accustomed to. Even when I do volunteer work, I behave like it's a paying gig and give it my professional best. She did seem to know what she was doing, even if she was a bit pushy and acted exasperated and scolding when she should have used a different tone. She's supposedly getting her career back on track, so she should know she'll have to work her way up/in again. And really, what's going on there in Charleston aside from similar fashion shows and personal shopper/stylist gigs?

I think she's just waiting for her ex-husband to agree to a financial settlement, then she'll blow back to L.A. Not that I believe she had any real "career" there. Feel free to seek evidence to the contrary. Or she'll set herself up in Chas and try to snag another rich guy. Shep should know a few who are available.

• Love 3

I think Craig wanting to be a lawyer goes back to him saying he was never popular and obviously always wanting to be. He envisions becoming a lawyer, a profession that will garnish a certain amount of respect. People will come to him for advice and listen to what he has to say. He'll be in the upper echelon of society. He'll be in demand. Then he goes to law school and it sucks He sees the reality of being a lawyer is actually kind of tedious so he doesn't really commit to it by taking the bar. I don't think he wants to be a lawyer and he may never take the bar. IMO it's not what he envisioned it to be.