Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Supposedly, due to pushing back Aquaman, DC is looking to push out another movie for this year (http://www.avclub.com/article/warner-bros-wants-squeeze-one-more-superhero-movie-252263).  Doesn't seem like a lot of time to get a script, cast, filming, etc done in time to have a movie even in December.  To compare Thor 3, which comes up in November, wrapped filming October of last year.  Wonder Woman, which comes out in June wrapped filming in May of last year.  I don't see how credible this could be but who knows, WB has made some pretty dumb moves.

Well, Goyer has directed Zig Zag (44% on RT), Blade: Trinity (25% on RT), The Invisible (20% on RT), & The Unborn (10% on RT). Based on that pattern GL Corp may get 5% fresh. But hey he has a very good record as a writer when the movie has a director with talent, so let's give him another chance.

Batman, Flash and Aquaman? At an expected revenue around half a billion each release, all of these delays have got to be wreaking major havoc on Warner Brothers' future fiscal calendars. 

Edited by xaxat

Aquaman's move doesn't worry me. They moved it from Pre-Thanksgiving to the Christmas season, mainly to capitalize on Avatar 2 being delayed and vacating that date. It should be more successful there.

Flash... Yeah, development hell. :(  I'm guessing, if they even try to bring out another movie for 2018 at this point, it'll be Sirens. It has a director, I think it has a script, and HQ is hot right now.

The Batman? At this point I'm wondering if it will even be part of the DCEU, or if Barnes will have dibs to do his own separate thing. Also :(

• Love 1

The fact that Whedon helming this movie is causing hysteria on Tumblr is pretty hilarious as well.

The DCEU need to start announcing when some of these potential movies are actually going to go into production, casting etc. Gotham City Sirens I'm looking at you. And Flash, you too.

If there are any spots open in 2018, I would not be surprised if Sirens got pushed into production (The Flash's spot has already been given to Tomb Raider.)  The other possibility is that they're waiting to see how reaction to Wonder Woman goes before greenlighting serious pre-production for anything after Aquaman.  But, Sirens seems to be in the best position to move forward soon as I think Margot had the story pretty nailed down when she pitched it, and they've already got Ayer on board, so it seems like it's in the "strike while the iron is hot" place.

5 hours ago, darkestboy said:

The fact that Whedon helming this movie is causing hysteria on Tumblr is pretty hilarious as well.

Ugh, I just wanted to throw things after seeing the bitching and moaning over there. We get it. You hate that he paired Black Widow and Hulk and somehow that ruined her character. You'd think with a track record of writing strong female characters in his resume he can get the benefit of the doubt after one perceived misstep. Nope. One movie you don't like and suddenly he's "THE WORST EVER!". Is Joss the most perfect feminist ever? No, but at least out of most filmmakers working he makes the effort and admits he can do better. I think these Millennial fans are just never going to be satisfied.

New Details on the Comics That Will Inspire the Batgirl Movie

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6

He doesn't really have a track record of writing strong female characters, though. He has s1-3 of Buffy and the occasional other female character (I would give him Zoe and Kaylee). I certainly wouldn't say he's the worst ever or near it, but I'd say he's pretty run-of-the-mill. It's also pretty frustrating when female directors are being shut out of these movies to see him get Batgirl. Like yes, it's great that Wonder Woman had a female director and Captain Marvel probably will, too, but if the unofficial rule is going to be that female directors are only considered for female superheroines, then it's pretty crappy for Whedon to take one of the most well known female superheroines.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

if the unofficial rule is going to be that female directors are only considered for female superheroines, then it's pretty crappy for Whedon to take one of the most well known female superheroines.

But to let only female directors handle female superheroes is overly politically correct and sexist in itself.   My quarrel with Whedon isn't that he's a guy, but  that name-brand has-beens are preventing other, fresher voices from having a chance to bring something new to the screen.  I get that studios don't want to gamble on newcomers but it's getting to the point where it seems only two or three names are ever mentioned when it comes to superhero projects.

Casting the titular role should provide plenty of fireworks.    

• Love 1

Even if Joss is blocking newer voices by taking Batgirl, I hope that he can use his clout to override the current leadership of the DCEU to produce a watchable film. I want WW to be good but, based all DCEU films to date, I have lowered expectations.

• Love 2

I groaned inwardly at the news, but I have to admit that from a bottom line perspective, the two top-grossing superhero movies of all time were both directed by Whedon. It's not as if the studios are shoving Kathryn Bigelow aside so Pitof or Josh Trank can have another go at directing.

It sounds like Whedon was the one who went to DC with the pitch for the film; no one had even mentioned a Batgirl movie before that.  And, if Joss Whedon comes to your office and does a pitch like that, are you going to say no?

But, I do think Lexi Alexander needs to get one of these.  It doesn't necessarily need to be a female-led movie (I think she could do a great job with the Black Adam / Shazam stuff), but she warrants being in the conversation.

Also, speaking of strong women, someone else is putting the work (and play) in...

• Love 3

And, if Joss Whedon comes to your office and does a pitch like that, are you going to say no?

Honestly... maybe? It would depend on the pitch. He did well with Avengers, but Avengers II was mixed. It's not like he's an Oscar winning director with a string of hits, or even a George Lucas type director. Other than Avengers, he's basically a cult classic person. None of his TV shows were mainstream hits with huge numbers. 

Basically, I don't think Whedon has the record to justify him as a can't say no to him director.

6 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Honestly... maybe? It would depend on the pitch. He did well with Avengers, but Avengers II was mixed. It's not like he's an Oscar winning director with a string of hits, or even a George Lucas type director. Other than Avengers, he's basically a cult classic person. None of his TV shows were mainstream hits with huge numbers. 

Basically, I don't think Whedon has the record to justify him as a can't say no to him director.

His decent track record (and fanboy cachet) coupled with DC's terrible one made this a likely easy decision for WB.

So, Jason Momoa says something odd.

"We’ve never really seen anything from this guy before, so it’s fun to have a level playing field,” Momoa grumbles optimistically. “There aren’t like four Aquamans before me. I get to set the tone for it."

Does he not count all the comics, cartoons, and games Aquaman has been in? You could argue that those have had a hand in setting the tone.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Joe said:

So, Jason Momoa says something odd.

Does he not count all the comics, cartoons, and games Aquaman has been in? You could argue that those have had a hand in setting the tone.

I'm pretty sure he isn't counting those (plus, good luck in trying to find any common threads between The Superman-Aquaman Hour and Injustice 2 :).  If you only count live-action, his only other appearance was the backdoor pilot in Smallville; he didn't even make it into the full-on camp Legends of the Superheroes.  Also, from what I've seen in the Justice League trailer, they're going for a vibe that's not like any other version I've seen.

Plus, that article says that his appearance was "the only interesting part of Batman v Superman."  Regardless of anyone's opinion of that movie, I can't imagine anyone who's not related to Jason Momoa thinking that his 30-second cameo was the best part.

Ha! Well, I guess if you're crushing on Momoa, it's a possibility.  He's lucky that no one's ever shown interest in Aquaman beyond comic enthusiasts.  The character doesn't have the visibility of Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman, or even the Flash. So even if there WAS another non-TV, live-action take on the character, I doubt most would remember it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

Plus, that article says that his appearance was "the only interesting part of Batman v Superman."  Regardless of anyone's opinion of that movie, I can't imagine anyone who's not related to Jason Momoa thinking that his 30-second cameo was the best part.

It was one of the best, along with any scene with Gal Gadot, Jeremy Irons and...?

37 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Ha! Well, I guess if you're crushing on Momoa, it's a possibility.  He's lucky that no one's ever shown interest in Aquaman beyond comic enthusiasts.  The character doesn't have the visibility of Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman, or even the Flash. So even if there WAS another non-TV, live-action take on the character, I doubt most would remember it. 

I think the problem is that most people remember Aquaman from the Superfriends cartoon where he was reduced to the guy you call if you need a whale for something.

That was true for the original; I am not sure if it will be in this version.  DC has been all about getting rid of half-assed weaknesses for their heroes (the color yellow for Green Lanterns, etc.) for decades now.

Incidentally, the reason that Aquaman is treated as such a leading character (getting to be in Super Friends, etc.) is that he, along with Superman / Superboy, Batman and Wonder Woman, was one of the handful of characters who didn't go out of print at the end of the Golden Age.  He just kept swimming along in Adventure Comics until after the other heroes started reappearing with the arrival of Barry Allen in Showcase #4.

23 hours ago, Lugal said:

It was one of the best, along with any scene with Gal Gadot, Jeremy Irons and...?

I think the problem is that most people remember Aquaman from the Superfriends cartoon where he was reduced to the guy you call if you need a whale for something.

Nope. At least not for me. Bruce Timm's take on Aquaman/Arthur wiped my memories of that cheesy iteration in his Justice League. That Arthur was BADASS. Cutting off his hand to save his newborn son. Then getting a badass Hook in its place instead of a prosthesis.

Sure, he could be a jerk, but we wasn't a wuss nor was he something to mock.

Just my .02.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nope. At least not for me. Bruce Timm's take on Aquaman/Arthur wiped my memories of that cheesy iteration in his Justice League. That Arthur was BADASS. Cutting off his hand to save his newborn son. Then getting a badass Hook in its place instead of a prosthesis.

Sure, he could be a jerk, but we wasn't a wuss nor was he something to mock.

Just my .02.

Completely agree.  That was what Aquaman always should have been, had the censors and pearlclutchers of the 70s and 80s not bowdlerized everything for kids back then.

But I think a lot of people of a certain age (I hate that phrase because it includes me) who grew up with the Superfriends, (even if they hadn't actually watched it) still think of Aquaman as the guy who talks to fish.  It became it's own meme.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've got no interest in Aquaman*, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Momoa's take on Namor in this movie.

Edited by Perfect Xero
*I'm actually a big fan of the current Aquaman comic, but the joke is right there.
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Completely agree.  That was what Aquaman always should have been, had the censors and pearlclutchers of the 70s and 80s not bowdlerized everything for kids back then.

But I think a lot of people of a certain age (I hate that phrase because it includes me) who grew up with the Superfriends, (even if they hadn't actually watched it) still think of Aquaman as the guy who talks to fish.  It became it's own meme.

Plus, a lot of us who did grow up with the 70's cartoons were already well into adulthood by the time the Timmverse came along, and may never have seen that Aquaman (who himself was close to the then-current version in the comics).  I know I only watched those shows sporadically, and I don't think I ever saw JLU.

You may have to loop around through Google News to get to read these, but Some of the Aquaman sets are being built, ahead of filming starting this week

25 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Plus, a lot of us who did grow up with the 70's cartoons were already well into adulthood by the time the Timmverse came along, and may never have seen that Aquaman (who himself was close to the then-current version in the comics). 

I grew up watching the 70's cartoons and even though I was an adult when Bruce Timm came along with Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, I was ECSTATIC. First, because THIS was the Batman that needed to be seen. As well as all the other DC heroes in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. Other than Super Friends, every other iteration of Superman was spot on. And of course Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman was AWESOME! Even if she couldn't fly. I even remember when I watched Super Friends after Timm's versions, I CRINGED, and couldn't believe I got up to watch that show after? before? My FAVORITE SHOW, The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show on Saturday mornings!

• Love 1

The GQ article was very strange. Half the time, I couldn't tell if the all-American stuff was sincere or a subtle dig. It had nice pictures, though.

They have a hand, but I understand where Momoa is coming from. Live action is different and has a different impact in pop culture.

I LOVE Mera's costume.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yeah, I just read that. God, my heart goes out to him. No snark on Snyder, any time soon.

But I'm wondering about Whedon. Yes, he's good. But I've never seen him copy someone else's style. While he's done a a bit of TV work, I haven't seen those shows. Has anyone here watched his episodes of Glee and the Office?

As much as I hate Zack Snyder, I feel for him, no one should have to go through that.  As for the movie, I can't imagine Whedon is doing anything but polish this turd.  He's only being brought on to fix certain scenes/re-shoots so I can't imagine he'll have much influence on the film. 

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 2
(edited)

Sorry for the Synder's loss. Glad he choose to stay with his family and heal, JL is just a movie. 

Like the idea of them publishing Autumns book for charity, thats a great way to remember and honour her.

Thanks for the link @BetterButter

Edited by dkb

I gather that Whedon had already been brought on to write those additional scenes before Snyder bowed out, and that they were mainly character bits (probably punching up the dialog with a bit of humor and/or snark). So he'll already have a working knowledge of what was storyboarded out, and they probably don't involve much action or panoramic backgrounds where he would have to work hard to match Snyder's distinctive style.

I suspect whatever input Joss has in the final editing process will be more influential than anything he's filming himself.

• Love 1