Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Wilson as Ocean Master is spot on casting. It's still one of the DCEU movies that I'm not as enthused compared to others but I like his casting for this.

I really don't mind Justice League 2 being delayed for The Batman but I also don't want the latter rushed either. Let Affleck have the right story for it first.

Really hoping we get a new director for The Flash soon. Sort it out, WB.

Gotham City Sirens was inevitable and I cannot wait to see who they cast for this one. A female director would've been nice but I think Ayer is a good choice nonetheless. Deadshot spin off could go either way, though I loved the character in Suicide Squad.

Really hoping for something on Dark Universe as well in the next few months.

On 12/14/2016 at 10:55 PM, MarkHB said:

Rumors are that Megan Fox is circling the Poison Ivy role.  I don't know if she's been approached or is trying to get herself considered for it.

But Megan Fox is over 30 now. She old. She can't possibly play a sexy vixen now! Let's get another 22-year old Victoria Secret model! #Sarcasm.

Seriously though, she probably would do a great job with it, but Hollywood doesn't seem to give a shit about her anymore. I'd be shocked if it doesn't go to an ingenue.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2016 at 0:09 AM, methodwriter85 said:

But Megan Fox is over 30 now. She old. She can't possibly play a sexy vixen now! Let's get another 22-year old Victoria Secret model! #Sarcasm.

3 hours ago, millennium said:

Unfortunately Dwayne Johnson can't act.

*shrug* Neither can Megan Fox. Forget if she's "old" or not, she can't act, but apparently she's not letting that stop her.

Well, Liam Neeson and Kate Beckinsale have become unlikely action movie stars. Neither is going to be getting Arnold-style roles, though.

I thought Johnson did pretty well in that Hercules movie he headlined. The Fast & Furious movies don't require anything more than charm and the ability to look good while saying ridiculous lines, but I'd say he has at least some potential. And let's face it, if the script continues in the vein of DC movies so far, it's unlikely he'll be called upon to turn in nuanced performances.

• Love 4

I saw that yesterday (and Mark Hughes at Forbes has a great article on it).  From what I had heard, Rick Famuyiwa had turned in a script that was "edgy" in a socially relevant way, and that's not what WB was looking for which is what led to Famuyiwa's departure.  My gut feeling is that WB wants this film to be one of their more light-hearted entries (hey, it started with Lord & Miller) and the "page one rewrite" is a way to clear Famuyiwa out of the WGA adjudication for the writing credits.

He's said that he learned a lot about what goes into modern massive movies during BvS; if he doesn't feel that he can do a good job acting in the film while directing as well, more power to him for acknowledging that.  He specifically said he's staying on as a producer so I'm sure his vision will play a large role in the final product.

Is it just me, or does it feel like the whole franchise is suddenly imploding? (Not that it was built all that solidly to begin with.) At this point I'm just crossing my fingers that Wonder Woman turns out well.

• Love 2

I always thought that WB/DC's film live action productions felt unstable because they didn't seem to have clear vision, perhaps due to lack of leadership, and were too focused on dick-measuring against Marvel. Plus, with this AT&T/Time Warner deal pending, who knows what kind of shake-ups are going on. I'm probably one of the five people who saw BvS, and didn't hate it. Yet, I still think it was a misstep.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I always thought that WB/DC's film live action productions felt unstable because they didn't seem to have clear vision, perhaps due to lack of leadership, and were too focused on dick-measuring against Marvel.

Don't forget giving Zack Snyder too much creative control of the franchise.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I always thought that WB/DC's film live action productions felt unstable because they didn't seem to have clear vision, perhaps due to lack of leadership, and were too focused on dick-measuring against Marvel. Plus, with this AT&T/Time Warner deal pending, who knows what kind of shake-ups are going on. I'm probably one of the five people who saw BvS, and didn't hate it. Yet, I still think it was a misstep.  

I didn't hate it but it was pretty clear that they had no idea what they were doing. It was like seeing test footage. Lots of set pieces and action but nothing substantial. Like the plot was slipping through my fingers.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

It's doomed.   Too many hands, only the vaguest of storylines, a villain who's not a primary member of the Rogue's Gallery, and already way overhyped.  

I miss the days when we didn't learn about movies three years ahead of time.  Why do we need updates on every little development or hiccup?  Why do we need to see trailers two years in advance?   Usually it leaves nothing to look forward to but an anticlimactic bomb.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Saw this yesterday and just threw up my hands and laughed. Praying that Wonder Woman isn't a complete train wreck, because at this point it is the only DC related film that holds any interest for me. What a spectacular squandering of a massive film franchise collection. With every news item I wonder if they're just inept or actively trying to torpedo their future film slate. Eesh.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I just want Wonder Woman and Aquaman to be decent and don't really care about anything else. Aquaman is pretty much guaranteed to be acceptable to me because I am shallow.

Present for you, then... :)

• Love 3

On again, off again, now it's official: Warner Bros. has signed Matt Reeves to direct The Batman.  It's worth noting that this is also the first time that the title "The Batman" has been acknowledged in any official WB statement.

Also, The Lego Batman Movie director Chris McKay is working with WB on a Nightwing film.  For those who don't follow the minutiae, Nightwing is the grown-up superhero name of Dick Grayson, the original Robin.  I've heard that Zack Snyder has said that the Robin memorial in the BvS Batcave is for Jason Todd, the second Robin, leaving room for Dick to have evolved as he did in the comics.

• Love 1

Those of you who were interested in shirtless Jason Momoa should pay a visit to the Justice League thread; Zack Snyder shared a brief clip to celebrate his (own) birthday.

I find it really weird Patrick Wilson, who looks a lot like the classic Aquaman, will be playing the villain. I know very little about Orm, but from what I saw of him on Justice League -The Animated Series he looked a little bit more like Jason Momoa.

I don't think Mel Gibson will necessarily destroy a movie at this point, but I don't know that the public will be willing to see any of his movies as "good". Public favor has turned against him big time but if he can manage to direct a decent movie I would consider seeing it.

What's the latest on Ben Affleck trying to get out of his Batman contract? I've been hearing lately that both him and Jared Leto have been trying to wriggle out of their marquee roles... that would definitely destabilize the franchises.

I kind of wonder when we can hope to see these movies end to make way for a new continuity and a fresh start. I'm guessing there's no chance of that happening anytime before 2020, what with the current films already in production or pre-production. I don't think DC and Warner Brothers would waste too much time to reboot the franchises....so maybe as early as 2022?

I'm pretty astonished that there hasn't been an announcement of a New Gods movie, given DC's obsession with that Jack Kirby franchise.

Edited by DisneyBoy