Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

I think having been raised Scientologists all their lives and being "taught" at Scieno school may contribute to their ... oddness.

Some of the Smith children's antics make for hilarious reading, I suppose.

WHY IS JADEN SMITH SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT?

Willow And Jaden Smith’s Interview With The ‘New York Times’ Is Insane

Jaden and Willow Smith on Prana Energy, Time and Why School Is Overrated

The 14 Strangest Tweets by Jaden Smith: America’s Youngest Crazy Old Man

Jaden Smith and Why Celebrity Kids Should Shut Up

Willow Smith's Tweets: Slightly less weird than Jaden's... but not much (1) (2)

• Love 1
(edited)

Jaden Smith attended his prom dressed as Batman.  If Batman's costume were all white.

jaden-smith-white-batman-prom-picture.jp

He just attended a prom with Amandla Stenberg wearing a white dress.

jaden-smith-wears-dress-to-his-prom-01.j

Edited by Rick Kitchen

Jaden Smith attended his prom dressed as Batman.  If Batman's costume were all white.

He just attended a prom with Amandla Stenberg wearing a white dress.

jaden-smith-wears-dress-to-his-prom-01.j

I don't know.  I think the kids are pretentious, but from all accounts they seem to be polite and very personable kids.  If the above is the worse we can say about them. I'll take them.

• Love 1

I really don't like Chris Pine and I don't even know why. There's something so generic about him. But then, I don't think I've ever heard anything about Steve Trevor that sounded remotely interesting as well.

• Love 1

I really don't like Chris Pine and I don't even know why. There's something so generic about him. But then, I don't think I've ever heard anything about Steve Trevor that sounded remotely interesting as well.

I agree. I find his roles to be very generic and uninteresting, but I find him the person to be very charismatic and interesting when I see him in interviews.

I don't know.  I think the kids are pretentious, but from all accounts they seem to be polite and very personable kids.  If the above is the worse we can say about them. I'll take them.

Jaden Smith also attended the Kimye wedding in full white Batman gear, including cowl. Not that I like Kimye, but how attention-seeking do you have to be? If not for the fact that he's Will Smith's kid, Kimye would have booted his ass out of there faster than he could have said "I'm Batman". Not to mention the way they come across on the red carpet and in interviews, they come across as always needing to be the center of attention. I don't know them personally, so maybe they're really nice to their friends, but they clearly have been raised to think they are best and brightest and deserve only the best too (I read a lovely interview with Jaden once, where he went on and on about his favourite luxury brands), with no hint of reflecting that it's only Will & Jada who keep buying them movie roles, gigs, and expensive stuff. If they showed any self-awareness, I wouldn't even mind so much that Jaden, who's yet to show any discernible talent, keeps getting cast as the star in movies that would never look at him twice if not for his Vitamin B, but so far I completely think they think that they are entitled to success and fame.

• Love 1

Jaden Smith also attended the Kimye wedding in full white Batman gear, including cowl. Not that I like Kimye, but how attention-seeking do you have to be? If not for the fact that he's Will Smith's kid, Kimye would have booted his ass out of there faster than he could have said "I'm Batman". Not to mention the way they come across on the red carpet and in interviews, they come across as always needing to be the center of attention. I don't know them personally, so maybe they're really nice to their friends, but they clearly have been raised to think they are best and brightest and deserve only the best too (I read a lovely interview with Jaden once, where he went on and on about his favourite luxury brands), with no hint of reflecting that it's only Will & Jada who keep buying them movie roles, gigs, and expensive stuff. If they showed any self-awareness, I wouldn't even mind so much that Jaden, who's yet to show any discernible talent, keeps getting cast as the star in movies that would never look at him twice if not for his Vitamin B, but so far I completely think they think that they are entitled to success and fame.

See, while I agree that both kids are pretentious and annoying to listen too, I actually do think that Willow and Jaden have talent.  Outside of that "After Earth" movie that Jaden did with his dad, I have found his other movie roles quite good for a young actor just getting into the business.  With Willow, I have actually really enjoyed her music in the past.  Nothing to write home about, but a good beat and a catchy song is all I expect from someone that young. 

With all that said I think that their personalities are what is turning people off from them, which isn't a good thing no matter what comes out of their mouth. But from someone who doesn't know them or have to deal with them I can appreciate the fact that they have a reputation of being "nice" kids in the grand scheme of things. 

Also just to clarify, Jaden actually wore an Alexander McQueen suit to the wedding, the Batman costume was a reception quick change, lol. 

• Love 1

James Wan will direct Aquaman (2017), with a script by Kurt Johnstad (who wrote both "300" movies) and Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder and Zack Snyder producing.  From the WB press release:

An icon for over 70 years, Aquaman is the King of the Seven Seas. This reluctant ruler of Atlantis, caught between a surface world constantly ravaging the sea and Atlanteans looking to lash out in revolt, is committed to protecting the entire globe.

Nope... although it would be hilarious if the guy who played Grenier got a walk-on in the film.

Also, Greg Silverman, the head of Warner Bros. Pictures, has a decent interview in THR.  He says a lot about quite a few things, but this jumps out:

How will you differentiate the DC Universe from what Marvel is doing?
We have a great strategy for the DC films, which is to take these beloved characters and put them in the hands of master filmmakers and make sure they all coordinate with each other. You'll see the difference when you see Batman v. Superman, Suicide Squad, Justice League and all the things that we are working on.

There were some complaints that the Batman v. Superman trailer was too dark. Is this a trademark of a DC superhero film in the post-Dark Knight era?
There is intensity and a seriousness of purpose to some of these characters. The filmmakers who are tackling these properties are making great movies about superheroes; they aren't making superhero movies. And when you are trying to make a good movie, you tackle interesting philosophies and character development. There's also humor, which is an important part.

Two rumors around the DCCU:

John Stewart could take up an hour per week of time on The CW all on his own...

He married his Green Lantern trainer, Katma Tui, who was later murdered by Star Sapphire.  He then fell in love with Rose, a farmer from West Virginia who was trapped on Oa.  Then he used those aforementioned Guardian of the Universe powers to bring back his deceased wife, which led him to break up with Rose.  But then crazy Hal Jordan offed Katma Tui again, and Stewart went crazy for a while.  Then in the New 52 continuity..., he had a romantic relationship with longtime enemy Fatality, who had become a Star Sapphire by that point.  Oh, but it turns out Fatality was an imposter, Varrat Din, an alien from Durian. And if that wasn’t enough, in the excellent Justice League Unlimited, he had a love triangle with Hawkgirl and Vixen.

(edited)

I was going to gripe about Harley Quinn having as much super-villain cred as King Tut or Egghead, but then the stuff about the Smith kids pissed me off so much that it doesn't seem very important anymore.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

As I said earlier today to friends, if he casts J-Lo as Catwoman I'm abandoning internet grousing in favor of sending letter bombs to Warner Brothers.

Why would he cast his long-ago ex?  I don't think Jennifer #2 would like that.

It could be worse.  The Smith Family could be involved.  I don't know what they have on the folks at WB, but there's got to be something.

As I said earlier today to friends, if he casts J-Lo as Catwoman I'm abandoning internet grousing in favor of sending letter bombs to Warner Brothers.

I figure either JLo or Kim Kardashian could play EggButt.

Why would he cast his long-ago ex?  I don't think Jennifer #2 would like that.

It could be worse.  The Smith Family could be involved.  I don't know what they have on the folks at WB, but there's got to be something.

Ben and Jennifer Garner are headed for divorce.  I assumed it was just a cheeky comment.  As much as people denounce the "Bennifer" era, it at least was a time when people were interested/fascinated with Affleck. 

While it sounds like a mish-mash having all of them, maybe it works because the the movie is just using a running start with everything in place. 

Because you don't really need much to explain "Space Cops". 

• Love 1

Affleck's co-writing, directing, AND starring in it? Chances for course-correction if the moviegoing audience doesn't like his Batman portrayal now approaching zero.

At this point I'm kind of wishing they'd just cut Superman out of the shared universe films entirely so I could root for a glorious trainwreck without feeling any guilt over  Henry Cavill's career being derailed.

• Love 2

An Affleck directed Batman movie sounds more appealing to me than pretty much everything else DC is doing, with the exception of the Wonder Woman which I am excited to see. I've never been crazy about any of the actors who have played Batman in the movies so...as long as the supporting cast is solid I'll still check the movie out.

Affleck's co-writing, directing, AND starring in it? Chances for course-correction if the moviegoing audience doesn't like his Batman portrayal now approaching zero.

At this point I'm kind of wishing they'd just cut Superman out of the shared universe films entirely so I could root for a glorious trainwreck without feeling any guilt over  Henry Cavill's career being derailed.

Ha, right? Nevertheless, I am optimistic that Cavill will be fine.  I feel like the success or failure of the BvS film will rest mostly on Affleck's shoulders (not saying that's fair, but his casting wasn't well-received plus his personal trainwreck of a life is the media's playground). I assume Affleck wouldn't direct any Superman films.  I shall have my popcorn in hand, no matter the result.         

Can someone explain to me why Suicide Squad is a thing?   It doesn't appeal to me in the least.   Supervillains aren't people to root for.   They're supposed to be reprehensible, unlikeable characters.    And Jared Leto as the Joker?   No.    But there's so much hype about this movie, and anticipation ... what's the draw?  Is it the fact alone that it's a DC movie?   It mystifies me.

• Love 1

Can someone explain to me why Suicide Squad is a thing?   It doesn't appeal to me in the least.   Supervillains aren't people to root for.   They're supposed to be reprehensible, unlikeable characters.    And Jared Leto as the Joker?   No.    But there's so much hype about this movie, and anticipation ... what's the draw?  Is it the fact alone that it's a DC movie?   It mystifies me.

Probably the same reason why people like Hannibal Lecter and Darth Vader.  The premise is that they are recruited to actually carry out the "dirty work" for the ultimate good.  Sort of like a group of highly dangerous Navy Seals or rouge spies. 

I don't think its a particularly new concept of people liking the bad guys or villians in movies or comic books. If these guys are put up against an even bigger evil then its just choosing to side with the lesser of two evils.  I find the premise interesting and can't wait to watch it.   As far as who to root for, maybe when I watch the movie I will find someone to latch onto, evil or not.  

(edited)

Can someone explain to me why Suicide Squad is a thing? It doesn't appeal to me in the least. Supervillains aren't people to root for. They're supposed to be reprehensible, unlikeable characters. And Jared Leto as the Joker? No. But there's so much hype about this movie, and anticipation ... what's the draw? Is it the fact alone that it's a DC movie? It mystifies me.

Because nowadays people "like" the complex interesting bad guys.

I wouldn't be suprised if the characters will have some sympathetic backgrounds that's explored throughout the movie.

I don't mind bad guys nor learning their backgrounds so I'm not really excited about the movie, but it does look interesting.

Edited by Jazzy24

I don't think its a particularly new concept of people liking the bad guys or villians in movies or comic books. If these guys are put up against an even bigger evil then its just choosing to side with the lesser of two evils.  I find the premise interesting and can't wait to watch it.   As far as who to root for, maybe when I watch the movie I will find someone to latch onto, evil or not.  

An even bigger evil?  The Joker is a homicidal psychopath who cavalierly kills innocent victims and leaves their faces twisted in bizarre, frightening grins.   He literally beat Robin to death.   I know he's a comic book character, but I resent the Joker being given any opportunity to prove the value of his skills.

• Love 1

At this point it's still up in the air if Joker is even part of the Squad, or one of the villains they'll be fighting.

Mostly I'm just curious about what Harley Quinn is doing on the team, with half of them having superpowers and the other half being Hawkeye/Black Widow level fighters...and then her. Is the movie even going to try to explain it, or are they just going to say "Here's a popular character, now don't think too much"?

Harley doesn't have any special skills in any of the animated features I've seen, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter.   But time will tell.

I saw the animated version of Suicide Squad and was underwhelmed.  Never read the comics, but any version that highlights Harley and Joker (in whatever capacity) automatically wanes my interest. I just don't care about them. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I unapolegitically admit that, if the actor(s), director(s), and writer(s), sell it very well, I sometimes love the crazy villain turned (anti-)hero trope. What can I say?

Correction: I love this trope when applied to comic, sci-fi, and fantasy movies but no so much in dramatic or comedic ones. Basically, I get the appeal it has for some folks.

Edited by Enigma X

Because nowadays people "like" the complex interesting bad guys.

I wouldn't be suprised if the characters will have some sympathetic backgrounds that's explored throughout the movie.

I don't mind bad guys nor learning their backgrounds so I'm not really excited about the movie, but it does look interesting.

It's not just nowadays, for that matter... Suicide Squad is essentially The Dirty Dozen with supervillains.

At this point it's still up in the air if Joker is even part of the Squad, or one of the villains they'll be fighting.

Mostly I'm just curious about what Harley Quinn is doing on the team, with half of them having superpowers and the other half being Hawkeye/Black Widow level fighters...and then her. Is the movie even going to try to explain it, or are they just going to say "Here's a popular character, now don't think too much"?

Or, for that matter, if the Joker is only shown in flashbacks to give us Harley's backstory.  A lot of people think that

she, or rather Dr. Harleen Quintzel, is the one on the receiving end of "hurt you really, really bad."

I haven't caught up with the comics in years, though, so I don't know how Harley wound up in the Squad.  I did notice her with her legs wrapped around the neck of someone who went into her cell in the trailer, though... and it looked like she had the better of the deal.

Plus, Arrow has had its own quite good version of the Squad for a while now, and the producers have all but stated outright that the DC suits forced them to kill off their version of Deadshot, because apparently our tiny brains just couldn't handle two versions of the character despite it already being made perfectly clear the films and shows are separate universes.

• Love 1

I think Harley's inclusion on the team is 

b/c she is helping to find the Joker.  Who else would you go to in order to find a homicidal psychopath, his psychotic girlfriend of course.  I'm guessing she reluctantly helps the team w/the intention of double crossing them once they find the Joker, but then changes her mind when she recalls how horrible he is to her.

I don't know if what I put is an actual spoiler b/c I don't know the actual plot, it's just what I figured and based off of the character/storylines of Harley Quinn from Batman the Animated Series.

In general I agree, except if you watch the actual trailers this somehow winds up looking about a dozen times more appealing than a DC film about 2 (or is it 4?) actual Superheroes, Batman v. Superman (with Wonder Woman and Aquaman tossed in a bit). I mean that looks FAR more dreary, less fun, and far more annoying (even though it shouldn't).

(edited)

I don't know.   I was firmly against Affleck as Batman but since the last trailer I have done a 180.    Not liking Cavill as Superman as much as I hoped to (liked him a lot in The Tudors).  He's too serious, too frowny, too much product in his hair.  But I like the Batman/Superman trailer tons more than Suicide Squad.   Also on the plus side for Batman/Superman, it's got Wonder Woman who looks sleek and sexy as hell -- and no INSUFFERABLE Will Smith ("Let's go save the world").   Or Jared Leto, who seems to have stolen a page from Depp's playbook on portraying fringe characters exclusively.   Harley Quinn looks like a slutty schoolgirl/cheerleader somehow (wasn't she supposed to have been a respected psychiatrist in her past life) and what was with all that upside down business?   Is that supposed to demonstrate how twisted she is?

I must concede that Jesse Eisenberg is a HUGE buzz-kill for Batman/Superman.   I can't stand him and that singsongy "the redcapes are coming" joke grates on me (there's only ONE red cape, asshole).  I'm hoping I can somehow overlook it.   Many of the DCU's casting choices are extremely questionable.  

I can't muster any excitement for Suicide Squad.   And the bad guys fighting badder guys trope is getting old.   I think Dexter drove it into the ground.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

Harley Quinn looks like a slutty schoolgirl/cheerleader somehow (wasn't she supposed to have been a respected psychiatrist in her past life) and what was with all that upside down business?   Is that supposed to demonstrate how twisted she is?

I'm guessing you're not familiar with the character and her various incarnations?

• Love 2

I don't know.   I was firmly against Affleck as Batman but since the last trailer I have done a 180.    Not liking Cavill as Superman as much as I hoped to (liked him a lot in The Tudors).  He's too serious, too frowny, too much product in his hair.  But I like the Batman/Superman trailer tons more than Suicide Squad.   Also on the plus side for Batman/Superman, it's got Wonder Woman who looks sleek and sexy as hell -- and no INSUFFERABLE Will Smith ("Let's go save the world").   Or Jared Leto, who seems to have stolen a page from Depp's playbook on portraying fringe characters exclusively.   Harley Quinn looks like a slutty schoolgirl/cheerleader somehow (wasn't she supposed to have been a respected psychiatrist in her past life) and what was with all that upside down business?   Is that supposed to demonstrate how twisted she is?

I must concede that Jesse Eisenberg is a HUGE buzz-kill for Batman/Superman.   I can't stand him and that singsongy "the redcapes are coming" joke grates on me (there's only ONE red cape, asshole).  I'm hoping I can somehow overlook it.   Many of the DCU's casting choices are extremely questionable.  

I can't muster any excitement for Suicide Squad.   And the bad guys fighting badder guys trope is getting old.   I think Dexter drove it into the ground.

Depending on the comic or particular story, Harley Quinn is a gymnast, so her using her bed sheets to make a harness and swing upside down seems perfectly in character to me.  Also we see a couple of glimpses of her in the trailer as a psychiatrist.  We see her strapped to a gurney in a lab coat and her glasses, we also see her forced onto the gurney after the shot of the "Panda" with a machine gun.  Also, this is just speculation but I think she is the one who is being tortured by the Joker in the end of the trailer, which would explain her mental illness.

• Love 1

Depending on the comic or particular story, Harley Quinn is a gymnast, so her using her bed sheets to make a harness and swing upside down seems perfectly in character to me.  Also we see a couple of glimpses of her in the trailer as a psychiatrist.  We see her strapped to a gurney in a lab coat and her glasses, we also see her forced onto the gurney after the shot of the "Panda" with a machine gun.  Also, this is just speculation but I think she is the one who is being tortured by the Joker in the end of the trailer, which would explain her mental illness.

I don't know much about the Harley character other than the very basics.   I despised her in the animated series -- the voice, mostly, and the fact that Joker shouldn't need a sidekick -- and objected to her leap into the comic book canon.   But your explanation about her possible gymnast background makes sense of the scene in the trailer.   And based on what i saw, I would agree with the rest of the speculation.