Type keyword(s) to search

Abigail: The Long Suffering Wife

Whimsy

I pity her mostly. Such an unpleasant predicament to be... and if they plan to meet them, it will be heartbreaking for both. I hope they never meet in the series and for her to turn to have quitely died some time ago.

Ok. Then I must have had an ISP fail when trying to post. And it was a looong post. D'oh!

Anyway, there was a lot of discussion about Abigail's motives for leaving and some people thought it was not forgivable and others thought it was understandable.

For me, I can understand it. Others have pointed out that while Henry has aged chronologically, he has not really aged physically. Even though he has many years under his belt, experienced many things (both horrific and wonderful), he has not gone through the experience of physical aging. He hasn't experienced the change in metabolism, loss of energy, aches and pains, etc that come with age. So he wasn't able to empathize with Abigail when she got old. For him, it was just as simple as not caring what other people thought of them. Perhaps that was something he learned from being alive for over 100 years. But Abigail was younger and those things affected her. Henry didn't understand why. Even though he loved her deeply, he was dismissive of her feelings because these things didn't bother him so he didn't think they should bother her.

I know how that feels-- when someone tries to base what they think you should do or feel on their own feelings. I also think that Abigail was having a harder time keeping up with Henry and she probably worried that she would become a burden to him and no longer be able to be a wife to him. When she sent the letter that she needed some time away, I think she fully intended to return.

As for all of the aliases-- I suspect those were ones she used when she and Henry had to move from place to place to avoid the discovery of Henry's secret-- which brings about another issue: Abigail's advanced age may have made it difficult for Henry to move again if the need arose. She might not have been able to handle moving again. She needed stability.

My pet theory is that Abigail heard about some study or research involving the cessation or even reversal of aging and she wanted to get involved. No sure why she wouldn't tell Henry-- but maybe she thought he would talk her out of it or it would get his hopes up... She ends up getting kidnapped and murdered before she can return to him and Abe.

chitowngirl, that sounds like a possibility, but I'm not sure if Adam found out about Henry until recently (when he first started making calls). I think he would have approached him sooner if he'd found out back when Abigail went missing.

That said, its possible that he had some program set up and Abigail got lured in and he ended up killing her without realizing she was married to an immortal man. But I'm going to just guess that it had nothing or little to do with Adam.