Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity Jeopardy!

Athena
  • Start Topic

Didn't matter to me what info the question gave...Book club = Oprah, automatically. Surprised no one made the connection or at least guessed it was her.

"book club" wasn't mentioned in the clue.  The term used was "a collection of her columns" and the clue referenced a woman who "championed many other bestsellers".  Never having read Oprah's magazine and thus not knowing that she wrote a column in it, all I could think of was Erma Bombeck, and I knew the year was all wrong.  So I was stumped too.

• Love 4

"book club" wasn't mentioned in the clue.  The term used was "a collection of her columns" and the clue referenced a woman who "championed many other bestsellers".  Never having read Oprah's magazine and thus not knowing that she wrote a column in it, all I could think of was Erma Bombeck, and I knew the year was all wrong.  So I was stumped too.

Couldn't remember the clue verbatim when posting, thought it said book club.

My 2 second thought process: 

What woman has championed many other bestsellers? Oprah.

Who would have a venue where they would have a column? Oprah.

I don't read that mag, but I'll bet she has a column in it.

Since I can't think of anyone else, and this is CJ so it has to be someone obvious, I pick Oprah!

Again, couldn't believe it was a TS.

• Love 1

and this is CJ so it has to be someone obvious

That's how I got to Oprah.  I had no idea she has a column (I forgot about her self-titled magazine) or that those columns were compiled into a book, so when I tried to think of columnists writing book recommendations, she certainly didn't spring to mind.  But when I shifted to a more general, "Who recommends books?" thought process, up popped Oprah.  Add in that for CJ it would almost certainly be someone that mainstream and famous, and I was secure in my guess. 

Jeopardy's Facebook page says if you missed last week's shows, they have a link to the "best parts." All I could think is that it must be a very short tape.

LOL. Agree to the nth! Don't know who would want to see any of those "celebs," let alone hear what they'd have to answer.

(edited)

Sorry to go off topic.  I'll be the only one here who likes Mo to seal my fate.

I like Mo, more on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me than on CBS Sunday Morning, but I like him. I didn't like Wendi at all.

I didn't get Oprah. For some reason I was thinking the person was deceased.

Penn certainly looks different after losing all that weight, but he doesn't look unhealthy to me. He used to be a really big guy.

As for The Time of My Life, I couldn't get Paul Anka out of my head.

Edited by peeayebee

I watched the episode with Carol Burnett, Donna Mills, and Regis Philbin last night, but missed the first couple of minutes so I didn't see the dedication to Philbin or hear if that was, as I think, the very first celebrity edition of the show.

I rolled my eyes so hard when Regis missed the Vogue DD and Alex said Carol and Donna would have got it right.  Yes, Alex, because all women read fashion magazines.

They left so many clues on the board! 

• Love 1

In the episode with Jodie Foster, Nathan Lane, and Harry Connick, Jr., I could not believe some of the TS, especially Livingstone, Philadelphia, Walden, and Ft. Worth (they had to have forgotten the category on that one!).  It was a good game, and they didn't have a ton of misses, but most of the ones they did all miss surprised me. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

In the episode with Jodie Foster, Nathan Lane, and Harry Connick, Jr., I could not believe some of the TS, especially Livingstone, Philadelphia, Walden, and Ft. Worth (they had to have forgotten the category on that one!).  It was a good game, and they didn't have a ton of misses, but most of the ones they did all miss surprised me. 

Its fun to see these old Jeopardy episodes, where the Celebrities look So Young!  Jodie Foster still looked like a Teen(altho she said she had a child) and Harry Connick also looking so young.  Jodie had wanted to be on Jeopardy & was really having fun with it.  

• Love 2

I just watched Monday's, Tuesday's, and tonight's eps. I enjoyed the first two the most. Harry Connick is hilarious. "What is Please-Don't-Impeach-Me Day?"

I must say that Charles Barkley answering "Cats" for what JFK listened to cracked me up.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I just watched Monday's, Tuesday's, and tonight's eps. I enjoyed the first two the most. Harry Connick is hilarious. "What is Please-Don't-Impeach-Me Day?"

I must say that Charles Barkley answering "Cats" for what JFK listened to cracked me up.

I cracked up at Alex's response for the Don't Impeach Me day; the answer was Father's Day and Alex says 'same thing'

What made Cats even funnier is that just before revealing that Alex said something about JFK's years being known by this play and imagining it being know as Cats in the WH instead of Camelot was hysterical.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I'm confused about where to post?

I've been to Brookfield Zoo twice this month. Sad to say that Baboon Island is no more.

The rules are a little ambiguous but it seems like the bulk of the posts for this summer’s vault episodes are in the s36 thread. I guess we just have to come to a consensus and post accordingly. 

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

The rules are a little ambiguous but it seems like the bulk of the posts for this summer’s vault episodes are in the s36 thread. I guess we just have to come to a consensus and post accordingly. 

Mods have allowed for posting about these "vault" episodes in the appropriate threads (e.g. All Episodes, Celebrity) or in the S36 (in which they are being re-aired) thread; I find the latter ridiculous, so I'm usually the one resurrecting an old thread - my own odd act of rebellion for logic and consistency - even though most discussion is happening in the S36 thread.

The Jeff Probst, Martha Stewart, Charles Barkley episode was a bit of an odd pick to me, to immediately follow another game from the same celebrity tournament featured in last night's re-run; I'm not immediately clear what its significance in J! history is.  Other than Charles Barkley not having a clue how to operate the buzzer.

It amused me that Martha Stewart recognized the clue within the "parasite" clue as being a No Doubt song, but still couldn't come up with it.

I cannot believe none of them recognized Stephen Hawking between the text and the photo!

I'm also quite surprised only Martha knew FJ.

She seemed a bit unfamiliar with some fundamentals of the game, so she was either playing that off, or just signed up based on general knowledge rather than a specific connection to the show.

I think most of it had to do with Charles Barkley's performance being infamous in certain parts of Jeopardy! fandom/game show fandom in general; especially after he missed the clue on Michael Jordan! I've seen that clip before as in a special that GSN did in 2007 called Celebrities & Game Shows (as well as the clip when he FINALLY got on the board!). Martha Stewart's renewed popularity in the years since she was released from prison (along with her odd but charming friendship with Snoop Dogg) probably had something to do with this episode being chosen (even though it ironically aired a few years PRIOR to her going to prison!), in addition to the banter between her and Charles, which was a lot of fun, too. 

1 hour ago, UYI said:

in addition to the banter between her and Charles, which was a lot of fun, too. 

I think he was whispering to her because I kept hearing her giggle when Probst was answering. She didn't annoy me unlike some, if a regular contestant kept forgetting the phrasing it annoys me but I'm willing to cut the celebs some slack.

Does anyone know if they are showing Gen. Powell? I remember being impressed.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

I think most of it had to do with Charles Barkley's performance being infamous in certain parts of Jeopardy! fandom/game show fandom in general; especially after he missed the clue on Michael Jordan! I've seen that clip before as in a special that GSN did in 2007 called Celebrities & Game Shows (as well as the clip when he FINALLY got on the board!).

That might be it.  I'm pretty sure I saw this when it originally aired, but Barkley's performance didn't stick in my memory; when I think infamous Celebrity J! appearance, I think Wolf Blitzer.

(edited)
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I think he was whispering to her because I kept hearing her giggle when Probst was answering. She didn't annoy me unlike some, if a regular contestant kept forgetting the phrasing it annoys me but I'm willing to cut the celebs some slack.

I feel like his appearance was during one of the show's Power Players Weeks, where celebrities specifically associated with Washington D.C. (well, usually) take part; then again, I thought that Wolf Blitzer's infamous peformance was during a PPW, but then I remembered the big winner that night was Andy Richter, so it was in fact a regular CJ! episode! So I could be wrong about Powell, too. 

Edited by UYI
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

As far as I have been able to determine Gen. Powell was not on Jeopardy, so I am misremembering and it must have been someone else I'm thinking of. Sorry.

20 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

As far as I have been able to determine Gen. Powell was not on Jeopardy, so I am misremembering and it must have been someone else I'm thinking of. Sorry.

The late General Norman Schwarzkopf appeared on CJ! in 1994 with Tony Randall and Stefanie Powers. Perhaps that's who you're thinking of? 

8 minutes ago, UYI said:

The late General Norman Schwarzkopf appeared on CJ! in 1994 with Tony Randall and Stefanie Powers. Perhaps that's who you're thinking of? 

I think it is, thank you!

• Love 1

I might expect Celebrity Jeopardy to have easier questions, so the celebrity contestants would be less likely to be embarrassed.  Embarrassing them might discourage other celebrities from participating.

1 minute ago, Driad said:

I might expect Celebrity Jeopardy to have easier questions, so the celebrity contestants would be less likely to be embarrassed.  Embarrassing them might discourage other celebrities from participating.

Not only that, I believe they 'tailor' some of the categories toward the celebrities appearing, thus a Sports category for Charles Barkley and Shakespeare for Eric Idle.

• Love 1

How many clues are left on the board is a recurring annoyance in these Celebrity episodes, but I am getting a kick out of knowing all the answers since they dumb down the clues so much.

With that said, I'm looking forward to the one tonight with Jane Curtin, Cheech Marin, and Michael McKean, because they had more typical clues and did well with them.

• Love 1

I'm confused. On the show with Carol Burnett, I could swear Alex said this was the first CJ. But on Friday's ep, he mentioned how Cheech had been on the very first CJ...and that's how I remember it. Marin just completely cleaned up & blew the other two away in the first CJ. So what was the Burnett show?

I've gained a real appreciation for McKean over the years and now I find it fascinating to watch him as Lenny on "Laverne & Shirley."  He must've had at least as much fun being Lenny as he was as David St. Hubbins.  And I can never forget him & Mulder trading bodies in a very weird double episode of "The X-Files."

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

'm confused. On the show with Carol Burnett, I could swear Alex said this was the first CJ. But on Friday's ep, he mentioned how Cheech had been on the very first CJ...and that's how I remember it. Marin just completely cleaned up & blew the other two away in the first CJ.

Me too.  Last night's show must have been from a totally different CJ tournament because they had a two day total winnings.  I also remember Cheech cleaning everybody's clock in another tournament.

Did anyone else get part of a different game from first break to end of Jeopardy round? I was really ticked because this was one of the few CJs I wanted to see.

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm confused. On the show with Carol Burnett, I could swear Alex said this was the first CJ. But on Friday's ep, he mentioned how Cheech had been on the very first CJ...and that's how I remember it. Marin just completely cleaned up & blew the other two away in the first CJ. So what was the Burnett show?

Carol's show was from the very CJ! of the very first CJ! week in 1992, but Cheech's first CJ! was later that very first CJ! week, too (he was, at the time, starring on the Golden Girls spin-off the Golden Palace, where all of the girls minus Bea Arthur took over a hotel in Miami).

I thought he said that Cheech was the first winner of the C! tournament. That first C! week, Alex said that the high scorer for the week would get ... ugh... what they won doubled? Or an extra $10,000? Something. So Carol was on the very first C! show, but Cheech was the first winner (i.e. the high scorer for the week). I think.