Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity Jeopardy!

Athena
  • Start Topic

Silliest move: Josh moving away from the "Five Senses" $1000 clue when there was only one sense yet to be mentioned.

Most surprising TS's: OM (have they never done yoga?) and Judas Iscariot.

I thought the exact same thing about the touch category! Five senses, five clues, only one sense that hasn't been addressed, it's obvious what the answer would be.

I was shocked at the Switzerland clue. Not only was it TS, but the two that guessed didn't even pick cities in Switzerland! Vienna and Stockholm, really?!

• Love 1

Good grief.  I swear only dogs were able to hear Bellamy's voice at times, it was so high-pitched. 

I can't believe no one knew Judas, and also color me shocked at the Switzerland clue.  Not to mention apparently having no idea what the five senses are.  Insanity.

Tomorrow's game looks fun, though.

• Love 1

Argh whyyyy?? I mean, yes they're actors and media types and whatnot by why can't they just act like normal people?

I mean, you don't have to be in Mensa to be an actor but you don't have to be dumb as a stump either.

Maybe it's the shows fault for making the assumption that the clues have to be simpler.

• Love 1

I wasn't familiar with any of the three, but I decided to root for Bellamy Young based on her charity.  It was sad to see her lack of confidence.  Yes, it was an incredibly easy set of clues (I ran the game, even though there was stuff in there about religion/mythology, which is one of my weakest areas), but within that context she was smoking her competitors.  I disagree with Alex that every answer was offered up in a questioning tone, as she seemed sure of quite a number of them, but that was certainly a common occurrence, yet there was no need for it. 

I was not aware Amy Schumer was related to Chuck.  Where have I been?

In the senses category, my neighbors must have wondered why someone was screaming, "A sight, you idiots!" And then sputtering as to why Josh Gad left the category when the answer would have been obvious even without a clue.

Even I knew Judas, so that was another surprising TS.  Same with Om.  And Prague, and Bern.  At least with the latter, Young seemed to know her answer was dumb almost as soon as she said it.

Unless it was editing, Gad didn't wait to be ruled correct after the Snow White clue before selecting the next clue.  There was something about it that seemed deliberate rather than just a case of nerves, but he never did it again.

For FJ, I didn't specifically know Oprah Winfrey had charted with such a book, but based on the rest of the clue I figured it had to be her. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Was this the tournament for 8th graders?  Ridiculously easy clues.  Bellamy was annoying.  Was she just faster on the buzzer than the other two?  Although I didn't get FJ either.  I've never looked to Oprah for my book recommendations.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 2

I have to say I have been disappointed by Celebrity Jeopardy all week.  I don't mind the contestants' histrionics, but do they have to make the clues so easy?  Jeopardy's brand - what sets it apart from other TV game shows - is that the game is reasonably challenging.  The viewer who is good at Trivial Pursuit / bar trivia should be able to get a lot of answers, but still get stumped regularly.  I don't want to see a show where I can pretty much get everything.  (Not EVERYTHING, but close.)

This week has been like Kids Week, which I also don't really care for.

• Love 3

Thank God for the Mad Men marathon. I switched over to Jeopardy! at the beginning, saw that Bellamy woman waving her arms and saying "um" 4,000 times before picking a clue and switched back.

• Love 2

I'd be overjoyed if Alex would surprise us all and announce one Monday that the show was donating $500,000 to several charities and doing away with "celebrity" Jeopardy. And, while it was at it, it was also dumping the kids.

• Love 7

Last night was unbearable.  I loathe it when grown women (in this case 40's and 50ish probably) do cutesy little 7- year-old girls' waves.  And what was all that covering her face with those waving hands from Bellamy?  It might be seriously time to retire the Celebrity Tournament if they are not going to try to attract smart celebrities....

Wow ... finally watched it and, agreed, that was pretty bad.  Why was Bellamy Young all flailing hands even when other people responded ?   That, and Bellamy's ever higher-pitched voice, the constant uh, uh, uhs and oddly nervous/slightly maniacal laughing.  WTH ?  Was she aware that she's on TV ?

Ginger Zee was practically a non-entity in the DJ round -- she went a full 5 minutes straight without answering any clues.  I was even surprised that Alex ruled Ginger incorrect with that 'Sarah Silverson' answer, I figured they would just give it to her since she was close enough and it was Celebrity Jeopardy.

That $2000 clue in the Mermen category about Russian Sea this, and then including that the answer can be spelled using 'cz' or 'ts' -- that is just downright insulting as a high value clue..

• Love 2

What killed me about Bellamy is when she would be ruled correct and then stammer like she had no idea she had to pick again. Do they not practice?

I'm still shocked at the video preview of Penn. He is unhealthily gaunt.

• Love 1
Tonight is Zachary Quinto, Cynthia Rowley and Penn Jillette.

From what I've seen of Quinto and Jillette in interviews, they seem to be very intelligent guiys. But they work from scripts alter all.  Perhaps this will be a lively competition.  I've never heard of Rowley so who's to say?

• Love 1

Unless it was editing, Gad didn't wait to be ruled correct after the Snow White clue before selecting the next clue.  There was something about it that seemed deliberate rather than just a case of nerves, but he never did it again.

I caught that, too, and thought Gad knew he had it correct so immediately went on with the game, screw waiting for the judges and Trebek to say, "Yes, that is correct!" Can't say I disagree with that thinking. I'm guessing he got spanked during a cut in filming, which maybe is why he went on to tank.

At the beginning of the game, my thought was thank goodness Bellamy was answering in a strong NON-questioning voice, which I liked. In the second half, or toward the end, she got all Valley Girl and seemed intimidated, which others have remarked on here. But based on her opening play, I thought Trebek was just searching for something (negative) to say about her for FJ.

All her waving around I didn't notice because I pretty much didn't look at my tv until an answer was revealed, so I didn't see any histrionics, or ignored them if I did.

Later last evening I tried to remember who was on this episode and what FJ was. I could recall nothing. Not sure if that's a comment on the show or my brain retention.

(edited)

Didn't matter to me what info the question gave...Book club = Oprah, automatically. Surprised no one made the connection or at least guessed it was her.

Edited by suedehead
  • Love 1
(edited)

For FJ, from the "columns" word, I right away thought Erma Bombeck, but she's been gone for a while. I then thought Oprah but did not know she had written a book. I'm guessing she put it as one of her Book Club selections? Ha ha! Not sure what I would have written if I had been on the show, so maybe I'm back to being a loser after my brilliance knowing the motorcycle guys.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I thought tonight's FJ was easy. And I was glad the woman didn't win because I didn't like her charities.

Last night's FJ was confusing because I would never in a million years think of Oprah as a columnist.

• Love 2

Until they introduced her, I thought the woman was Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  I was a little disappointed in Zachary's and Penn's performances (though Penn did okay in the end) -- I expect Penn to be more knowledgeable.  However, I could listen to Zachary read the phone book.  Love his voice.

And I've never seen Dirty Dancing, but I thought FJ was easy.

• Love 1

Well, I think they saved the best for last. I loooooove Zachary Quinto, and I was surprisingly entertained by Penn's antics.

SHOCKED that Cuba was a TS, though.

My answer to last night's FJ: "Well I'd say Oprah if it weren't for the column part"

• Love 1
I was a little disappointed in Zachary's and Penn's performances (though Penn did okay in the end) -- I expect Penn to be more knowledgeable.

Penn made a great comeback from the $200 he had at the end of the Jeopardy round.

They did kind of gave Penn that DD in the DJ round with Ahab as the answer.  Because in normal Jeopardy, don't they usually only take the first answer you give if it's a DD in the DJ round.

• Love 1

Well these contestants all at least had two living brain cells to rub together. I have no idea who the woman in the middle was. When they introduced her they showed a fashion designer. I find it hard to believe it was her unless that video was 30 years old. She sounded and acted like she was in her 80s.

I couldn't believe the TS - Cuba, Yorkshire Pudding, Genesis, and the FJ. There were more, but I can't remember them all.

• Love 1

Cuba?!  There were several other TS that really surprised me, but that’s the one that blew my mind.

I missed the first few minutes, so didn’t see the contestants introduced.  I know nothing about the other two, but Penn is a sexist ass, so I was rooting against him.

Patrick Swayze came to me instantly, because Dirty Dancing popped into my mind thanks to the song.  Since I couldn't think of anyone else who is dead and had been in something associated with that song, I figured it was him.

• Love 1

I think that during the break of yesterday's game that they were told to speed up the clue selecting. Unfortunately, this resulted in Bellamy getting very flustered about choosing quickly and led to her "um um um um"s.

I burst out laughing when I saw a category called "The Pen is Mightier."  That was the highlight of an otherwise lackluster game.

I agree with most of the comments about Bellamy, I found her to be extremely annoying.  Someone on another board pointed out that she has a degree in English from Yale.  She's not stupid, but she acted like such a ditz, that I wanted to smack her.  She reminded me a bit of a girl I went to high school with: she was a very smart girl, but she would act like such a ditz at times, as if there was something wrong with being smart or she was trying to conform to some kind of stereotypical expectation (she was also a cheerleader).  Watching Bellamy made me kind of sad.  If you're a smart, capable woman, you should own it, not act dumb.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I work part-time at a vet's office.  We just had a Boston Terrier patient named Moxie Crimefighter.  Jillette's always been an ass, so I'm not surprised.  But, damn, Alex...you're glad Teller's not there?  I'm sure there are some who don't know Teller portrays a mute and were mighty puzzled by that statement.  Personally, I'd take Teller over Penn any damn day, speaking or not.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1

I couldn't believe the TS - Cuba, Yorkshire Pudding, Genesis,

I didn't listen closely to the clue so only saw the picture. That Yorkshire Pudding looked exactly like a Panera bread bowl.

But, damn, Alex...you're glad Teller's not there?  I'm sure there are some who don't know Teller portrays a mute and were mighty puzzled by that statement.

Well, then shame on the people who are not familiar with the Penn and Teller act. For once, I defend Trebek. (This is a historic day in my life.)

I was wondering if Penn was tempted

You know he was, after saying "I'll take 'Bullsh*t' for $200." I think he keeps up with things.

• Love 3

I think the Kids Tournament is actually fun to watch.  Some of the kids are pretty darn smart and they really are kids.  These adults acting like kids, or just plain jerks (Jillette, in my opinion) is unwatchable.  And the fact that the clues are dumbed down for them is even worse.  OK, the money is for charity, but I think Jeopardy loses some credibility when they do this. 

• Love 2

Given the amount of scorn directed at contestants by fans of the show, I think it's no wonder if they have trouble finding celebrities willing and able to compete. Why would you subject yourself to that kind of derision? There are plenty of other opportunities for them to raise money for charity, without attracting this kind of unfavorable scrutiny.

• Love 3

Given the amount of scorn directed at contestants by fans of the show, I think it's no wonder if they have trouble finding celebrities willing and able to compete. Why would you subject yourself to that kind of derision? There are plenty of other opportunities for them to raise money for charity, without attracting this kind of unfavorable scrutiny.

Oh, I don't know. I think all celebrities are used to being ragged on by online anonymous posters. Most if not all get nasty Tweets from haters. I don't read at other sites so don't know if every person on CJ is getting roasted. But everyone has fans, everyone has haters if they are in the public eye. Lots of actors won't even read their movie/play reviews. Everyone has a different level of tolerance for mental abuse. So there's that.

I have no problem with Penn, regardless of what he named his child or anything else about him. Heck, I didn't even know he was married or even had a kid. The designer I'd never heard of and thought she held her own quite well. And Quinto, he was all kinds of awesomeness.

All have problems with buzzing in, however, just like the normal regular people we make fun of here.

• Love 2
The designer I'd never heard of and thought she held her own quite well.

I agree.  Cynthia Rowley was probably my favorite of the female celebrities.  She seemed like a normal person.  I used to watch her on Design Star (HGTV).

I don't follow fashion, as anyone who sees me will agree, so I wasn't familiar with Cynthia Rowley. My first impression was that the severe glasses and hairstyle aged her. I looked up her bio, and she's only 56, so, girl, lose those big honkin' glasses and let your hair down! I found this on her web site, which automatically makes me a fan:

I think she has an interesting, unique style that totally suits her.  I know her more from her home decor line than her fashions, but I really liked her look.  

(edited)

I burst out laughing when I saw a category called "The Pen is Mightier."  

Just going there buys them another year of CJ in my book.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 2