Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E24: Top 7 Perform

• Start Topic

I am finally watching this episode (I do not like this crop of contestants AT ALL, but I can't quit this show), and 42 minutes in only 2 people have performed.  That is no way to make a television show.

I usually like Quentin but I thought he was egregiously out of tune, especially in the second half.  He was covered up by bandzilla, but if they stripped down the music and just played the vocal, that was horrible.  I actually liked Nick for the first time, I have always found him to be a non-entity. Clark is good, but can't make relevant music (like I enjoyed him singing that, but who cares? It's not marketable). I don't see Tyanna making the top 5, she's starting to fade to the back, which is unfortunate because I think she is the most innately talented people there.

i am just so unbelievably over people trying to be unique.  Just be, don't try.  I'm looking at you, guy with a curly mustache, shorty shorts and suspenders at the bar last night.  And you Joey. And Jax. 

• Love 4

I don't see Tyanna making the top 5, she's starting to fade to the back, which is unfortunate because I think she is the most innately talented people there.

i am just so unbelievably over people trying to be unique.  Just be, don't try.  I'm looking at you, guy with a curly mustache, shorty shorts and suspenders at the bar last night.  And you Joey. And Jax.

I couldn't agree more about Tyanna. Her tone is absolutely beautiful. It's far beyond her years, and I'd say the same for her stage presence -- for the first few performances. While she rebounded with her emotional performance this week, the ones in between ranged from lackluster to just plain bad. Keith made a good observation about her early on: Some performers seem to say "look at what I can do", some "look at what I have to do", and some "look what I get to do", and she was falling in the latter category. She's lost some of that joy of performing -- maybe because of the work and pressure involved in the competition -- and perhaps that's where her youth is showing. However this plays out for her I hope she continues to pursue a singing career, because her potential is amazing.

I also agree about the "look at me! I'm unique!" folks, and the portion I bolded? I'll be seeing that guy in my nightmares.

Edited by designing1

The majority of viewers agreed with me so it's not all that laughable. Here's a knee slapper for ya... along with the majority, I also liked Lee best!

Just because they won doesn't mean they were the best singers. I don't see at all how anyone can justify them being technically better singers than the others. You may personally prefer them, that doesn't mean they were actually better though. And for the record I also liked Lee. He wasn't exactly always perfect or consistent though either. There's a huge difference between personal preference and actually recognizing that your favorites aren't as technically good as others. My favorites this season are Joey and Jax, but I would say the best technical singer left is Rayvon.

Oh I don't know who's technically the best.  I'm not sure it matters, or that there is even one right answer.  The person with the best pitch or widest range might have poor musicality or enunciation or a dull tone and overall be a dull performer.  I think they're looking for the most marketable overall.  

You might nailed it,

Missed seeing this show, so I went to YouTube. For what it's worth, I immediately searched Quentin, then Jax, then Joey. Then realized I had no real interest in watching the others, so I stopped.

Just because they won doesn't mean they were the best singers. I don't see at all how anyone can justify them being technically better singers than the others. You may personally prefer them, that doesn't mean they were actually better though. And for the record I also liked Lee. He wasn't exactly always perfect or consistent though either. There's a huge difference between personal preference and actually recognizing that your favorites aren't as technically good as others. My favorites this season are Joey and Jax, but I would say the best technical singer left is Rayvon.

That surprises me, because I think Rayvon is adequate at best. He keeps slipping into that dreadful falsetto and I don't know if it's because he doesn't have much vibrato or what, but when he hits a clunker note, he just stays there seemingly unable to adjust it. To me, the best technical singers this year are Clark, Nick, and Tyanna. Joey and Jax are decent enough singers, not great, and are relying more on gimmick than technical ability. Quentin puts a lot of feeling into his performances but he's really not a great vocalist. All of this is just my opinion, of course.
  • Love 4

That surprises me, because I think Rayvon is adequate at best. He keeps slipping into that dreadful falsetto and I don't know if it's because he doesn't have much vibrato or what, but when he hits a clunker note, he just stays there seemingly unable to adjust it. To me, the best technical singers this year are Clark, Nick, and Tyanna. Joey and Jax are decent enough singers, not great, and are relying more on gimmick than technical ability. Quentin puts a lot of feeling into his performances but he's really not a great vocalist. All of this is just my opinion, of course.

I don't understand why people say Clark is technically a good singer. His high notes are always so bad and sound strained and whiny. He relies on his screaming thing too much and he always uses it during the "climax" of the song in much the same way Rayvon relies on falsetto. Clark is decent but needs work, especially on high notes. I don't get the praise for Nick either. His voice is pretty average at best and these past few performances he's sung some off key notes. I do agree about Tyanna except she is slipping these last few weeks, especially when she did Circle of Life. I don't think any of them really seem like outstanding vocalists like there have been in past seasons.

• Love 1

I know nothing about pitch, falsettos or runs or other technical critiques but I damned sure know when a performer makes me feel something and makes my hair stand on end, makes me turn my volume way way up and makes me want to hear more and that is Clark for me hands down.  Is he technically perfect?  I have no idea!  All I know is I love hearing him sing and what he brings out in me!  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 5

Clark's biggest problem right now is what he does when the song ends - I suspect he might just be reserved/shy. But unfortunately, being a little stiff or uncomfortable due to some shyness can translate on television as being standoffish or snobby. He does this very specific thing with his mouth and voice when "smiling" at a compliment that comes across as very strained and fake. I haven't really felt I have seen a truly sincere unbridled expression of happiness from the guy. Again, he might just be uncomfortable with the format, but he needs some coaching or training. At the end of the day, people are voting, and they vote for people it makes them happy to imagine winning, and everything goes into that package. Kelly Clarkson ran away with it for her voice, plus her totally natural, hilarious, unfiltered sense of joy in the interview segments and down to earth personality. If being called a musical God by famous judges on American Idol can't make you let go and grin and giggle a little, people will interpret that as a snob who thinks he is too good for it all and isn't feeling much as a result. Unfortunately, in this format, being reserved with one's feelings doesn't translate well.

Edited by TVSallyS

I also agree that Nick is totally forgettable and am so confused why the judges have been so positive. I don't see what about him fits well in the current market. He's totally uninteresting as a performer and has SUCH an average voice, for both real world and American idol standards. He had so many pitch issues just the other night. I seriously can't muster up the interest to watch two measures of any of his performances. And instead of him just getting the straightforward "you are putting up a wall" critique that is a death sentence because it sounds like the judges are saying "you're an emotionally inaccessible snob", they have attempted to give him advice about loosening up while fawning all over how sweet and genuine and sincere or humble he is, or whatever, in some attempt to keep him likeable, while trying to get him to actually make his performances remotely interesting. Who did he sleep with and what don't I know?

• Love 1

II really cannot stand jax and the stupid x arms and face. Her voice is meh at best imo. Gack.

Oh Ari333, you made my lunch break!  I am howling here.  Howling, I tell you!  Out of all these posts analyzing over people we will probably never hear from again, this one hissy line which sums up tidily!

• Love 5

I also agree that Nick is totally forgettable and am so confused why the judges have been so positive. I don't see what about him fits well in the current market. He's totally uninteresting as a performer and has SUCH an average voice, for both real world and American idol standards. He had so many pitch issues just the other night. I seriously can't muster up the interest to watch two measures of any of his performances. And instead of him just getting the straightforward "you are putting up a wall" critique that is a death sentence because it sounds like the judges are saying "you're an emotionally inaccessible snob", they have attempted to give him advice about loosening up while fawning all over how sweet and genuine and sincere or humble he is, or whatever, in some attempt to keep him likeable, while trying to get him to actually make his performances remotely interesting. Who did he sleep with and what don't I know?

Couldn't agree more about Nick, and he is consistently flat on every performance, particularly on the high end notes. He's so, SO average, at best. Bleh. Edited by lyric

So crab hands became hatchet hand for Joey.  I sincerely do not get her appeal but to each his own.  Wasn't Mariah Carey the original perpetrator of the crab hands?  I think we can safely blame her.  

It's becoming a chore to watch this show and I miss the American Idol that was.  Sigh.

• Love 3