Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E24: Top 7 Perform

• Start Topic

It finally came to me--Jax's singing "accent" is that she's trying to pronounce everything like Carol Channing!

Speaking of accents, I'm trying to figure out

Joey's accent. It sounds sort of English but she's from VA. She also songs with the same accent. I'm not saying it's bad at all, just surprising.

Some years ago, there was a story about someone who went into seizures when he saw a certain female newscaster or actress (whose name escapes me), on TV.  I feel the same way about Clark.  I don't think he's at all ugly or unattractive, and I'm not about to go into seizures, but there's just something about his face that's unsettling for me to watch.  So I don't look at him, but I do like his voice a lot. 

Is the newscaster in question Mary Hart from Entertainment Tonight?

I don't think either Joey or Jax have accents. It's that damn put-on sound that's so popular with the kidz nowadays. When Joey speaks,she rarely does it unless she thinks about it and remembers to do it.

Speaking of accents, I remember when, early on, Harry was busting on some country singer for having a southern accent when he sings, butnot when he speaks and going on about what fakery it is, while Aussie Keith Who Sings With A "Southern" Accent was sitting there.

• Love 4

I can see Nick not only looks exactly like him but seems to have that cold guard up all the time as well.  

No way! He seems like one of the coolest and most laid-back types we've seen on this show in awhile.

You're more likely to see that cold guard not from the veteran musician types like Nick (who've seen it all) but rather the 16-year-old princess types who've never dealt with criticism and are forced to do so on Idol's big stage for the first time.

• Love 1

Clark: He really is the Carrie Underwood of this season....really good, somewhat bland, super-nice, camera-friendly. Lots of potential that all the other WGWG winners never had.

Maybe this is why I like Clark, and I liked Carrie too back during season 4 when she was made fun of on all the AI boards because she didnt move..but I care about one thing when I watch these shows - good singing. And Clark gives me chills when he sings.  There was a time when thats all you had to do to win AI was to be a good singer, before instruments were allowed and whether or not you rearrange songs the right way.  I'll gladly take Clark standing there every week singing well over some of the trainwreck performances, ridiculous outfits or overly affected singing.

• Love 6

I wanted Qaasim to be saved because he's so much more entertaining than rayvon. What would happen if people misspelled #saveqaasim? That would be a non-vote, right? Sucks to have an unusually-spelled name.

Well, considering it is displayed onscreen for a long time, and it's on the AI Twitter site as well, I'd say it sucks more to have so many careless fans that it affects the vote.

The judges did "let it slip" (scripted leak?) that Jax is "getting a lot of votes" (JLo) and that Clark is really popular and a likely "Top 2" (Harry).  I don't know if this is supposed to affect the future voting but I certainly didn't expect "to be spoiled" about the front-runners just yet.  It does clue the other contestants (not that Rayvon shouldn't already know) that their time on this show will soon end [badly].  I'm not sure if they were "listening". But it does confirm my suspicions of who is leading the competition.

When you type a hashtag on Twitter, if it is something currently trending, it will pop up automatically before you need to type the whole thing, so the #SaveQaasim tag would have automatically shown up, therefore no one could have spelled it wrong.

And I won't be surprised if Clark and JAX are the final 2. I guess that would be ok but Clark is so boring, I really think he's become massively overrated at this point. Where would he fit in the current music market? Everything about him is outdated. A lot of people may not like JAX but at least she is interesting, even if I don't always like what she does, I'm curious every week to see what she's going to wear and sing. And she is easily marketable, she already has a brand and loyal followers. Idol needs another breakout artist, not WGWG #10,000 that won't go anywhere in the music industry. At best I see Clark following the path of a Jonny Lang.

• Love 2

No way! He seems like one of the coolest and most laid-back types we've seen on this show in awhile.

You're more likely to see that cold guard not from the veteran musician types like Nick (who've seen it all) but rather the 16-year-old princess types who've never dealt with criticism and are forced to do so on Idol's big stage for the first time.

Then why do the judges keep asking him to loosen up?  He was even told by mentors to practice in front of a mirror.  It is likely because he sings in front of a bunch of strangers in a band that he is cold! 

Let's remember that the way the horrible "Idol" record contracts work, the luckiest singers are the ones who get all the exposure--and chance to build a fan base and attract a good agent--but don't actually "win"

• Love 1

When you type a hashtag on Twitter, if it is something currently trending, it will pop up automatically before you need to type the whole thing, so the #SaveQaasim tag would have automatically shown up, therefore no one could have spelled it wrong.

Following this theory, on the night of the show, during the timeframe of five minutes when we had to tweet our save vote, I grabbed my phone and by the time I found my tweet something mechanism (I'm middle-aged, not so quick) and I typed #SaveQa and automatically three different choices showed up that obviously were "trending" if what this poster said was what happens.  I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of twitterworld like some others but  I noticed that two of them were variations on the correctly spelled version we were supposed to do if we wanted to vote for Qaasim.  The other two had misspelled names.  So if people were incorrectly misspelling this many times that the auto trend or whatever you want to call it was popping up, were people grabbing one of those and tweeting?  In actuality there was a distinct possibility that people were spelling his name wrong.  Just a thought?

I also don't get how Jax is interesting.  Interesting is subjective and up to each individual.  To me she would be interesting if she picked an honest to goodness sincere style and explored it.   She just strikes me as a girl who is wasting her talent by grasping at any style weekly.  It seems childlike, and self indulgent and not ready yet for American Idol maybe.  Wasted opportunity. 

I would listen to Clark more than I would listen to her anyday of the week.  In any case, this show will be over soon and we will not hear of these people again.  Just look at last years crew.  Blip.  Gone.

edited for my typos lol

Edited by MrsMoltisanti
  • Love 5

I would listen to Clark more than I would listen to her anyday of the week.  In any case, this show will be over soon and we will not hear of these people again.  Just look at last years crew.  Blip.  Gone.

Well, the difference this year and last year is this year is a new label is involved and I've listened to enough Scott Borchetta interviews to know he REALLY wants to get a star out of this and he seems set on willing to invest money even if it means signing some who dont end up winning. IMO Big Machine wants to prove Idol can still make stars with their help.  Interscope had that same enthusiam the first 2 seasons, then last year they were checked out and saw they had no moneymakers in the group, not to mention they got an unmarketable winner.

Let's remember that the way the horrible "Idol" record contracts work, the luckiest singers are the ones who get all the exposure--and chance to build a fan base and attract a good agent--but don't actually "win"

This hasnt happened in quite some time.  I cant even remember the last time a non-winner have ended up with a pretty decent career. The Daughtry's and Lamberts just dont happen anymore. Maybe Colton Dixen I would say since he carved out a nice CCM career.

• Love 1

Following this theory, on the night of the show, during the timeframe of five minutes when we had to tweet our save vote, I grabbed my phone and by the time I found my tweet something mechanism (I'm middle-aged, not so quick) and I typed #SaveQa and automatically three different choices showed up that obviously were "trending" if what this poster said was what happens.  I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of twitterworld like some others but  I noticed that two of them were variations on the correctly spelled version we were supposed to do if we wanted to vote for Qaasim.  The other two had misspelled names.  So if people were incorrectly misspelling this many times that the auto trend or whatever you want to call it was popping up, were people grabbing one of those and tweeting?  In actuality there was a distinct possibility that people were spelling his name wrong.  Just a thought?

I'm not so young myself (54), but when I know who the bottom two are, I start pulling up Twitter before they come back from the commercial and start singing. That way, I've got everything figured out before the timer starts. But I'm a *tad* AR, so maybe that helps, too.

Interscope had that same enthusiam the first 2 seasons, then last year they were checked out and saw they had no moneymakers in the group, not to mention they got an unmarketable winner.

I really hope there is a change this year.  It's almost unbearable to watch the show for weeks and then never see the singers again.  It's like a big lame duck.  I agree last year there were no money-makers though.  The winner was a big cover band singer and that's about it. 

If it was So You Think You Can Cover and the judges were aging rock stars, then it may have been better for the guy who won. 

• Love 2

I cant even remember the last time a non-winner have ended up with a pretty decent career. The Daughtry's and Lamberts just dont happen anymore. Maybe Colton Dixen I would say since he carved out a nice CCM career.

The only other ones I can even think of are Kellie Pickler, Kat McPhee, Jennifer Hudson, and (maybe) (??) Constantine. I can't even remember some of the other WINNERS, and I've watched every season except the first one.

Good grief, I'm praying that creepy Scott doesn't have a thing for Jax, It will be annoying to see her nonsense plastered all over the media.

There is so much schtick in this batch...the only ones left who seem to be about the music are Clark, Tyanna, and Nick. Has this show become so derailed that they can't allow one of those to win? Yuck.

• Love 1

I don't know, I think the producers own the rights to the top 10 or more for years after the show.  Though they may opt to release them if they don't have recording plans for them themselves.  But non-winners might feel like 'why bother, they own me, no one will touch me if 19E has to release me, may as well wait out the 5 years' or however long AI owns them.  

The only other ones I can even think of are Kellie Pickler, Kat McPhee, Jennifer Hudson, and (maybe) (??) Constantine. I can't even remember some of the other WINNERS, and I've watched every season except the first one.

Bo Bice is lead singer for Blood, Sweat and Tears.

• Love 1

Two things that drove me crazy

1.  I gave Qaasim so many chances, but Hey Ya was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e.  Every single time Andre 3000's voice would have gone higher, Qaasim would deliberately skip the note and have the background singers sing it.  I've never seen that on this show before!  What the fuck was that?  I noticed it like 10 times!   Really.

2.   Clark.  He was good maybe the first three times but this performance I was like SERIOUSLY?  Again?  The exact same type of performance of the exact same type of song in the exact same type of way?    It's getting unwatchable because it's so ridiculous.  One way Monkey as Dmirty on Project Runway would say.

Clark is so red and sweaty.  This is my theory for why he makes some people uncomfortable.  And he stares so intensely at the camera and his mouth is always hanging open.

A year or two ago I discovered Jennifer Hudson's theme for the movie "Think Like A Man".  I played it on repeat.  Her voice is just great.  And good for her for landing that "Empire" gig, talk about a dream gig!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Clark is so red and sweaty.  This is my theory for why he makes some people uncomfortable.  And he stares so intensely at the camera

That ^^^^ was the formula for winning season 2 (Reuben).

Edited by drafan
  • Love 2

That ^^^^ was the formula for winning season 2 (Reuben).

Scotty McCreery made every song a country song;  P2 ditto.  I ditto watch season 3, but from what I read Fantasia overpowered every song, Carrie almost every song. In fact, I think almost every winner had a formula that was (almost) followed every week, Cook pretty much rearranged every song he did so that the judges would gush praise on him for "artistry".  That had the effect of diminishing every other contestant. AI isn't just a singing competition, which is why the judges constantly harp on "song choice".  Sort of like "...pick something you will excel at...".

Nick – I'm struggling to see how he's relevant. He's technically fine usually (tonight there were some iffy moments) but he's so completely forgettable. It's like an adult version of S13's Sam Woolf. I was shocked he wasn't in the bottom 2. WGWG powers, I guess?

This is bad- when I read "Nick" I thought, WHO?  He does absolutely nothing for me.  

And YES- Weird mouth movements- I thought of Kris Allen, too!  

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Jax is trying too hard to hit every angle that she is missing the marks? 

That is exactly why I'm not a fan.  It's obvious that she's so "crafted" down to her exact skin tone and each piece of glitter on her face X. It just doesn't flow.  There doesn't seem to be much from her heart, just carefully choreographed movements.

That was a lot of "live" autotuning going on with DeRulo (who will be one of the full-time judges on So You Think You Can Dance this summer).

NO.  Seriously.  This is a joke, right?  He is NOT going to be in SYTYCD?  That would just about ruin one of my favorite shows.  Nigel, Mary, and Jason DeRulo?  Ugggggggggg

Scotty McCreery made every song a country song;  P2 ditto.  I ditto watch season 3, but from what I read Fantasia overpowered every song, Carrie almost every song. In fact, I think almost every winner had a formula that was (almost) followed every week, Cook pretty much rearranged every song he did so that the judges would gush praise on him for "artistry".  That had the effect of diminishing every other contestant. AI isn't just a singing competition, which is why the judges constantly harp on "song choice".  Sort of like "...pick something you will excel at...".

Not at all, in my opinion.  I'm off the opinion that Fantasia, Cook, and Philip Phillips made every song seem amazing and dynamic.  The other performers did nothing for me, and Clark is swimming somewhere in the middle, which is why I'm complaining. I can't bear him anymore.  

Just like I'm sick of J.Lo throwing tantrums and literally screaming out loud while another judge is daring to speak an opinion that doesn't match hers.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

The ones who "are about the music" (I'm not sure what makes them any more "about the music" than the others) would all make boring or u marketable winners. Nick could be mildly successful in a Daughtry like setting but he's not as good as Daughtry and the majority of the audience seems to find him boring and doesn't feel a connection with him.

Clark is very loved by a lot of viewers and he has sex appeal, great looking guy, etc. but I don't see where or how he would fit into the current market.

Tyanna is essentially mini-Janelle Monae but she's been slipping these past couple weeks. She's lost that spunk that once made her a star.

A lot of people may not like JAX but I think she would have the biggest shot of any of them of being current and marketable. Her biggest issue is she's not consistent. If she can figure out what she's good at and just stick to it, I think she could have a chance in the industry. No she's not to everyone's tastes, no she's not a WGWG, but she has many loyal fans already and that's a big piece of the puzzle. She has a brand, even if others find it stupid, pretentious, or whatever, I think she's smart for doing it. Whether you hate the glitter X or not, you know it's her symbol. That's branding. That's marketing. She's a lot smarter and more savvy than she's given credit for. I can't think of any other contestant who's come onto the show and created a brand and marketing strategy for themselves. She is memorable, which is more than you can say for a lot of the others. Her biggest problem is consistency. If she can fix that, I think she could be the Jena Irene that never was. So many complain about WGWGs winning every year and how most of them aren't successful, yet they want Clark to win. I seriously don't get it at all. If we were talking about strictly vocal talent and who should win, then Rayvon would probably win and we all know he wouldn't make a successful or marketable winner. Whoever wins should be talented, yes, but they also should have some semblance of a personality and have a place on radio today. The 2 do not always go hand in hand.

• Love 1

Nick could be mildly successful in a Daughtry like setting but he's not as good as Daughtry and the majority of the audience seems to find him boring and doesn't feel a connection with him.

Daughtry is head and shoulders over any other Idol alumni male in sales so I don't know if Nick would need to be as good as him to be more than mildly successful.   But they never seem to put people into the 'band track' either, for some reason.

This show ought to pull an X Factor trick and make some mashup bands of contestants.  

Do they even do duets anymore?  Those were some of my favorite idol performances. 

I think Clark could do fine with Sam Smiths type of music. But Borchetta keeps saying in interviews he wants to hear him sing a pure pop song..he probably wants to see if he could be a pop artist if they do have to market him. If he wins and the label gets him a GREAT song he could end up doing well. Back during season 11 P2 was predicted to be the worst winner ever and would be an embarrassment to Idol, an amazing song changed things.

I agree as a whole Jax is the most marketable and I suspect is Scott's fave. I don't think they WANT Clark to win but I wouldn't be surprised if he's leading the votes and are just preparing for it.

Eta: the problem with Nick being marketed like a Daughtry type artist is that even Daughtry isn't remotely as popular as he was a few years ago. That whole sound isn't in now. Chris came right off AI during a time when that Nickelback sound was huge.

Edited by howmanywords

Unpopular Opinion here, but I think the person that may surprise people with a chance of post show success is Qaasim.   The guy has stage presence, knows how to entertain, has a large personality.  He's not a joke contestant, considering his background and training.

In as far as the technical singers remaining in the competition, most of them will be forgotten by this time next year.

Considering that Qaasim did have show business experience before Idol and he has parents in show business as well, I would agree. However, if you've read his latest interview, he comes off completely deluded as to what his post-show plans are. According to him, he's going to release video games, movies, and be filling stadiums in a year or 2. He's going to be like Prince and Michael Jackson. All his words, I kid you not. I do think Qaasim could find success again in TV because he had it before, he has the energy and personality to be cast on a Disney or Nick show or something like that, but I don't think he's going to be filling up stadiums anytime soon. Even some of the bigger stars to come from the show haven't done that. I picture Qaasim being successful in TV more than music. Maybe he should audition for So You Think You Can Dance next.

I'm sorry, but Qaasim is not at all attractive; I'd rather hear him than see him on TV.  Problem is, he can't sing that well, so I don't know what the future holds for him.  Yes, he has a lot of energy, and "large personality" for me is a euphemism for annoying, but he needs to tone it down if he wants to do anything.

• Love 2

Daughtry is head and shoulders over any other Idol alumni male in sales so I don't know if Nick would need to be as good as him to be more than mildly successful.   But they never seem to put people into the 'band track' either, for some reason.

Better than Adam Lambert?

Better than Adam Lambert?

Key words are "in sales." Daughtry has sold more albums. Adam's tours, both solo and with Queen, have been hugely successful.

DJs around the country are tweeting praise for Adam's upcoming single, Ghost Town, so hopefully they'll actually play it on the radio this time around and he'll have the hit he deserves.

BTW, Adam just started following Jax on Twitter, and there is speculation that an upcoming Idol episode will have them doing a duet. It is, as I said, just speculation. I wouldn't expect such a duet to be as successful as his performance with Angie Miller a couple of seasons ago since Jax, to my ears at least, is not a powerful vocalist, but Adam knows how to blend with a singing partner even if it means he has to hold back.

• Love 3

To me, in addition to all the other issues, the problem with the Twitter save is that people are voting twice on the same performance, which is confusing and odd. If they were still doing a results show, they could announce the bottom two from the prior night, have them each perform an extra "sing for your life" song everyone has ready and rehearsed, Twitter vote on that performance, and then the person who makes it through moves on to the next week. They obviously can't do that with things condensed to one show so it's totally weird and confusing. If Ryan were to try to explain it he'd need to say "please vote, based on that performance, whether this person should get put through to this week for their performance last week, and your votes will determine whether the performance you just saw will be eligible for you to immediately vote for it again, to put this person through to next week, based on that same performance". It's too time travelish, and good luck explaining it to average viewer. I bet people will have the two Twitter save performances framed so much in their minds as a "sing for your life save" they will actually forget to then vote for it again (case in point - Rayvon in bottom two weeks running). It's unfair that the person who does make it through doesn't get to perform the next week with a "clean slate" like they used to do. During the judges' critiques of the performance, they are commenting of course on how the person is in the bottom and whether that desperate performance was good enough to save them. Instead of just critiquing them anew for the following week with a clean slate. I just bet the negativity associated with the discussion about how the person is in the bottom bleeds into the performance and people are less likely to vote as much for the bottom two "Twitter saved" performance for next week.

Edited by TVSallyS

Key words are "in sales." Daughtry has sold more albums. Adam's tours, both solo and with Queen, have been hugely successful.

I'm sure Adam draws people for live performances but until bands start reporting concert revenues I think we have to rely on recording unit sales as a measure of success.  Presumably the people willing to see a performer live are also buying their records.  

I love Adam, he's the only AI alum whose CD I bought (and probably the last because it was pretty average).  But Daughtry I think appealed to a much broader audience.  This crowd here excepted.  

If JLo, and countless others with weak voices can ride technology into a nice career, so too, can Jax and Joey.

I totally agree that future success for any of the remaining will be all about image and nothing to do with vocal artistry.  That's the world we live in.  Nigel is no fool.  It's been about Ameriker's "favorite" whatever for years.

• Love 1

To me, in addition to all the other issues, the problem with the Twitter save is that people are voting twice on the same performance, which is confusing and odd. If they were still doing a results show, they could announce the bottom two from the prior night, have them each perform an extra "sing for your life" song everyone has ready and rehearsed, Twitter vote on that performance, and then the person who makes it through moves on to the next week. They obviously can't do that with things condensed to one show so it's totally weird and confusing. If Ryan were to try to explain it he'd need to say "please vote, based on that performance, whether this person should get put through to this week for their performance last week, and your votes will determine whether the performance you just saw will be eligible for you to immediately vote for it again, to put this person through to next week, based on that same performance". It's too time travelish, and good luck explaining it to average viewer. I bet people will have the two Twitter save performances framed so much in their minds as a "sing for your life save" they will actually forget to then vote for it again (case in point - Rayvon in bottom two weeks running). It's unfair that the person who does make it through doesn't get to perform the next week with a "clean slate" like they used to do. During the judges critiques of the performance, they are commenting of course on how the person is in the bottom and whether that desperate performance was good enough to save them. Instead of just critiquing them anew with a clean slate. I just bet the negativity associated with the discussion about how the person is in the bottom bleeds into the performance and people are less likely to vote as much for the bottom two "Twitter saved" performance for next week.

I don't see how that could really happen though because I'm sure their voting numbers are displayed during the performance like everyone else's and they appear online for the SuperVote alongside all the others. If people were super adamant about voting for Rayvon, they'd remember to. He keeps ending up in the bottom for a reason and I'm sure it's not because of the show format.

If JLo, and countless others with weak voices can ride technology into a nice career, so too, can Jax and Joey.

I totally agree that future success for any of the remaining will be all about image and nothing to do with vocal artistry.  That's the world we live in.  Nigel is no fool.  It's been about Ameriker's "favorite" whatever for years.

Exactly. Scotty and Phillip were nowhere close to being the best vocalists of their seasons but both have carved out nice careers for themselves. They have likable, relatable personalities and were given good material to work with. You could be the next Mariah Carey vocally, but if you aren't likable or get stuck with bad songs, you're not going far. Tatiana del Toro comes to mind, great vocalist but horrible and unlikable attitude, kept singing the same Whitney song or whatever it was every time. Haven't heard from her since. Candice is another with a great voice but if you've seen her Twitter account she comes across with an attitude and she was also given less than stellar material (like that dreaded I Am Beautiful).

• Love 2

I think Scotty and Phillip were both the best singers of their seasons.  But I think there are people who sell records because they sing well and more who sell them because they're packaged well, like Jennifer.  It seems like you need to check off any couple of boxes-- sing terrific, look terrific, have terrific songs to record.   

Really? Scotty over Lauren, Haley, Pia, Stefano? And Phillip over Jessica, Joshua, Hollie, Elise, Skylar, Erika, DeAndre? LOL

The majority of viewers agreed with me so it's not all that laughable.  Here's a knee slapper for ya... along with the majority, I also liked Lee best!