Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: One Day In The Life Of Anton Baklanov

I liked the scenes with Paige a lot and the scenes with Gabriel.  Wasn't feeling some of the other storylines and the Martha stuff feels like it's still in a holding pattern.

That was a stunning episode, with subtle but powerful acting all around. In particular, in the scene in the garage after Elizabeth had sex with the hotel manager, KR blew me away. At first I thought it was about Elizabeth still recovering from her own assault, but it became evident that it was just as much, if not more, about seeing herself and her actions through her daughter's eyes.

MR had plenty of moments himself, though none quite equaled that tiny little head nod he gave last week just before P and E told Paige the truth.

Meanwhile, I think " Clark" made a tactical error in teaching his wifey the tip- of-the-nose trick. I think it gave her away. Martha is not long for this world.

• Love 5

Paige may not turn in her parents for just being spies.  But she would turn them in if they tried to get her or henry to do bad guys stuff! 

I wonder if daughter and mother will be taking a trip to the USSR to see dying grandmother?

Does anyone else think that Paige and Elizabeth look a LOT a like in real life and on the show.  Enough to pass for real mom and daughter!   

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked this one. When Nina and Anton were talking over their meal, and she told him she wouldn't tell anyone, I really felt the actress playing Nina was doing an amazing job. Now, maybe she is making Nina that great an actress, but I felt Nina's heart softening and I believed what she said about "being traded" and not ever getting to be herself. 

Kudos to all the posters who correctly predicted that the bugged mail robot would pick up a whole lot of nothing conversations: "We're out of toilet paper", "I wanted a Pay Day bar", "Beep!" Oleg and Tatiana had me giggling along with them.

I'm thinking Elizabeth will let Paige hear one of her Russian grandmother's tapes. Really liked Paige's reaction to her mother not being able to go to her sick mother.

Meanwhile, I think " Clark" made a tactical error in teaching his wifey the tip- of-the-nose trick. I think it gave her away. 

Was so hoping Clark would tell her the "squeeze your asshole" trick. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 6

Yeah, I didn't find the episode all that super exciting, but it was okay. Elizabeth got the hotel key and the info on the mujaheddin. Paige asked questions and got pissed at the answers. Henry was born ready (like we didn't know). Nina's thing is going along well. Hans was in the episode for some reason which I don't get. Lisa is getting herself trapped into Elizabeth's web. All in all, a lot of stuff happened.

Does Maurice all but know that "Michelle" is a spy and is running an operation to get the info from Northrup? And he is okay with that?

• Love 2
(edited)

I enjoyed this one.  I loved Maurice figuring out (or close to it) Elizabeth's game. 

Practicing my suspension of belief just as hard as I can, which allowed me to enjoy the Paige scenes, the little stuff is so well written.  Henry probably already knows, I love the poster's little guesses about what he's really doing.  I'll add one,  he comes home from his not-an-uncle's house having photocopied FBI files with the tiny camera  he found in another of Philip's hidey holes in the house.  "Here ya go dad, thought these might be useful."

Elizabeth having sex (again) is still compelling, but when she got on top of Philip, all I could think was "GOD woman!  Did you at least bathe or shower at the hotel first?"

Who else watched Taffet's nose along with Martha?

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 8
(edited)

That was a stunning episode, with subtle but powerful acting all around. In particular, in the scene in the garage after Elizabeth had sex with the hotel manager, KR blew me away. At first I thought it was about Elizabeth still recovering from her own assault, but it became evident that it was just as much, if not more, about seeing herself and her actions through her daughter's eyes.

M

Doing a rewatch now and this scene was literally just on right before I read your post. I interpreted it differently, although now I think about it, I think it is a combination of what you said about seeing her actions through her daughter's eyes and my initial take on it that she was beginning to realize that this is the type of thing that, if recruited, Paige will likely be doing in the future. 

It seems to me that this reveal to Paige has made Elizabeth start to question her actions like she never has in the past -- she seems to be starting to realize the type of life she is setting Paige up for -- the realities of it, and having to live with it, as opposed to the unwavering strident position she has taken for her actions in the past. Elizabeth has always just "accepted" the requirements of the job and put her discomfort, disgust, etc. in check for the greater cause.

Elizabeth's mother had no idea what she was sending E (can't even begin to try to spell her Russian name) to learn; E has full knowledge of what she will be subjecting Paige to. I think she might be beginning to question whether it is something she wants for her daughter. 

I am seeing P and E more bonded than ever in the aftermath of the Paige reveal. They seem much more concerned and in agreement than they have in a while. My take on Elizabeth going straight to Philip for sexy time is that she was trying to erase the hotel manager and replace it with someone she loves and actually has feelings for. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 9

When Philip told Paige that he wanted Elizabeth to go see her mother one last time, I thought Paige was going to say "I want to go too."  I can imagine P & E selling the idea to Gabriel that way -- it both helps Elizabeth and soothes the Paige situation a bit. Though, they probably can't go to Russia. Maybe the mother is well enough to travel to somewhere in America.

Was Elizabeth wearing the same white business suit (in the hotel computer/video camera control center room) in this episode as the last one (she wore it up the room when she told the hotel manager about the bed stain) or did they just look a like? 

(edited)
Elizabeth having sex (again) is still compelling, but when she got on top of Philip, all I could think was "GOD woman!  Did you at least bathe or shower at the hotel first?"

That thought came to my mind as well, although I feel sure she did considering she was not in the clothes or wig she was wearing at the hotel. I imagine they have a "safe house" somewhere where they keep and change into and out of their disguises and clothes before coming home, and surely it has running water. It's one of those things that's never been made clear -- probably because it's too complicated -- and yet it must exist because they wouldn't usually change in a car or a McDonald's bathroom or a phone booth.

The other thought that came to my mind in that scene especially was that although Elizabeth/Kerri has a beautiful body, IMO she is too thin. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wondered if they were setting up a Paige and Elizabeth Russia trip too, and I really hope they don't. I realize the whole idea of it annoyed me, I guess because it seemed like everybody bending over backwards to facilitate more Paige/Elizabeth Elizabeth/Mother bonding time when you know who needs a vacation? Philip, who's still running around trying to keep one finger in every hole in the dam. Not that I think he needs to go to to Russia or anything, but it just bugs me. I don't mind Elizabeth going but adding Paige seems like some kind of weird reward and too pat, like she's totally part of the family now. Neither Elizabeth or her "doesn't blink" mother have earned that. Even if I wouldn't put it past Philip to say Paige wants to see the place to make it happen for her. But still, screw that. There's not really any reason Elizabeth can't go over there like Gabriel and Claudia do, using a different passport.

I didn't get some of the non-verbal stuff in this ep, like what Elizabeth was feeling in her sex scene and what Philip was feeling in his later one. it seemed like he knew she just needed to do a thing. And not to be crude, but I wondered in her honeytrap scene why she didn't come pre-lubricated.

Speaking of Russian parental figures, the Philip/Gabriel stuff has got to be coming to an explosion and I think it has to be a personal one. Just as Elizabeth should probably start unpacking how good it really felt for her mother to "not blink" at the idea of her going away forever, Philip seems like he's got some serious personal issues with Gabriel that have nothing to do with how he feels about the Centre. He's kind of the invisible "child" in this whole season of mistreated children (Elizabeth, Paige, Henry, Matthew, Kimmy, Mischa, foster kids).

Does Philip still have that knife the Afghanis gave him?

It's one of those things that's never been made clear -- probably because it's too complicated -- and yet it must exist because they wouldn't usually change in a car or a McDonald's bathroom or a phone booth.

We have seen it. In Behind the Red Door that's where Elizabeth and Philip have their roleplay gone wrong sex, in the safe house where Philip changes his clothes after being Clark.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 1

I was amused by Philip and Elizabeth asking each other if Paige is going to school.  That girl has all the power for the moment.

It was interesting that Paige told Henry to eat his breakfast.  She plays the parental role even when the true parents are at home.

Elizabeth said, "that kid's nuts" about Henry, and she didn't seem to be joking.  Has she always shown a preference towards Paige?

Elizabeth knows that Hans screwed up his mission and then went rogue by killing someone.  Why in the world would she suggest him to back up Philip?

I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of Elizabeth's sex scene.  That she usually doesn't get into it, yet can get turned on in fifteen seconds if the guy wants her to?  And later in the garage - was she upset because she felt she betrayed Philip, or that she allowed one of her marks to get  to her?  She usually stays detached and takes charge in the bedroom.  This guy not only took over, she also enjoyed it.  She wasn't able to do her typical compartmentalizing.

What was Philip thinking during his sex scene?  He looked more troubled than excited.

Next week:  Granny's back!  I wish she would kill Gabriel.  I don't trust that man.

• Love 3

That was a stunning episode, with subtle but powerful acting all around.

Hear, hear. It's possible I might like this one better than last week. I loved that opening scene, Paige is just bursting at the seams with questions. And I like the idea that they've both decided to be honest about anything not involving operational details. She's been so suspicious for a long time that odd details are still etched in her brain.  Soon she'll be asking about the sick relative who wasn't. And when questions like "where have you been?" start popping up frequently, the consequences will be far reaching, as I speculate below.

Interestingly, Philip and Elizabeth are cracking. Elizabeth now doesn't like honey-trapping. We know Philip is struggling with seducing Kimmie but that's for good reasons. We also know from last season and this season that they're having more and more trouble with the violence, especially the collateral kind. Elizabeth priorised Philip's son getting out of harm's way and simultaneously Philip is prioritising Elizabeth visiting her dying mother. Gabriel's an experienced guy, the handwriting's on the wall. Family is becoming number one and mission an increasingly distant second. And Paige might have been the last straw that broke the horse's back. Ever since they told Paige, they're now looking at themselves at the mirror honestly probably for the first and they don't like it. Elizabeth can't sleep with a hotel manager without feeling guilty and Philip can't seduce Kimmie without thinking of his daughter. These guys' operation is on its last legs. If Gabriel was objective he'd nix this and allow them to retire if it was possible.

I liked this one. When Nina and Anton were talking over their meal, and she told him she wouldn't tell anyone, I really felt the actress playing Nina was doing an amazing job. Now, maybe she is making Nina that great an actress, but I felt Nina's heart softening and I believed what she said about "being traded" and not ever getting to be herself. 

How good is Nina? I actually internally rose up and clapped. That was masterful. Tell the guy you're spying on that you've been sent to spy on him but you haven't told anyone (and really, don't tell anyone). This buys you more trust and once you're in it's only a matter of time. That's some talent she's got. Nina's heart isn't softening, she's playing with the guy.

Is anyone else worried that Oleg will betray the new FBI bug to Stan or why Arkady let him in on the secret? Inferring from last week's episode, Arkady must know someone is running an operation to ruin his operation and Oleg must be a prime candidate. I don't think he suspects the Stan-Oleg connection yet but it shouldn't be too hard to put everything together.

• Love 9
(edited)

It was a small thing, but it niggled at me that Philip said his name was Misha instead of Mikhail but Elizabeth went with the fully unpronounceable-for-Paige Nadezhda. Seriously, if your husband is introducing himself by nickname, you can just say (after your child has almost broken a tooth on your real one) "Nadia for short." Because seriously outside of formal situations no one would be calling her by her full name. I also would have liked Elizabeth to add that Nadezhda means "hope". More of the humanizing and making themselves relatable that Paige needs to hear.

It's funny but when Paige asked how she could believe anything, I was waiting for Elizabeth to say, "because if I was lying to you I'd come up with something a lot more plausible."

Edited by PinkRibbons
  • Love 4
I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of Elizabeth's sex scene.  That she usually doesn't get into it, yet can get turned on in fifteen seconds if the guy wants her to?

I thought it was exactly the opposite -- that normally Elizabeth can get into it on demand, but suddenly she was having trouble "making it real."

This was one of those episodes where I can tell that everything is supposed to cohere around a central theme, but I'm still trying to figure out what that theme is supposed to be. It's something about, like . . . the difference between an extraordinary experience and "one day in the life," and how everyone has a difference sense of what's extraordinary and what's mundane? Arkady reads Oleg and Tatiana in on a surveillance operation of epic scope and import, but to them it's a pointless slog through hundreds of pages of complaints about the FBI vending machine. Philip and Elizabeth let Paige in on some of the most closely guarded details of their secret life, but Paige suspects she's being stonewalled because they're talking about a visit to Grandma's instead of juicy spy stuff. Martha seems thrown by the suggestion that Agent Amador's death might have something to do with the leaks in the department, but her reaction is the moment that convinces Walter Taffet that she's responding normally . . .

It's all just sort of pinging around in the ol' brain at the moment, but I feel like there's some sort of sense to be made of it.

• Love 3

Once again, I must be the only one who didn't like the Paige stuff. She's got way too much power now, which is what happens when people try to be their children's friend instead of their parents. WTH? Knocking on P and E's bedroom door before they're even up and demanding to know what they're talking about? How about, "None of your damned business!"? I wish Elizabeth would take her to Russia to visit her mother and leave her there. It would serve the little snot right. The kid's a blabber mouth and can't be trusted.

I liked everything else in the episode, though.

Old Dracula is very menacing.

Does Martha know Clark is KGB specifically or that he's just some sort of a spy in general?

• Love 7

Doing a rewatch now and this scene was literally just on right before I read your post. I interpreted it differently, although now I think about it, I think it is a combination of what you said about seeing her actions through her daughter's eyes and my initial take on it that she was beginning to realize that this is the type of thing that, if recruited, Paige will likely be doing in the future.

It seems to me that this reveal to Paige has made Elizabeth start to question her actions like she never has in the past -- she seems to be starting to realize the type of life she is setting Paige up for -- the realities of it, and having to live with it, as opposed to the unwavering strident position she has taken for her actions in the past. Elizabeth has always just "accepted" the requirements of the job and put her discomfort, disgust, etc. in check for the greater cause.

Elizabeth's mother had no idea what she was sending E (can't even begin to try to spell her Russian name) to learn; E has full knowledge of what she will be subjecting Paige to. I think she might be beginning to question whether it is something she wants for her daughter.

I am seeing P and E more bonded than ever in the aftermath of the Paige reveal. They seem much more concerned and in agreement than they have in a while. My take on Elizabeth going straight to Philip for sexy time is that she was trying to erase the hotel manager and replace it with someone she loves and actually has feelings for.

If you mean Elizabeth's Russian name, it's Nadezhda (Na-d-ezh-da). I think it's pretty straightforward to spell, but that may just be me.

• Love 1

Great episode, which is what I always think a couple before the end of the season. 

A while back I posted my prediction that Elizabeth--and now maybe Paige--could go to Russia to visit with Elizabeth's dying mother. I love this possibility but can see it's fraught with all sorts of production and other obstacles. But, still I love the idea that in one trip, Elizabeth could give Paige a major family connection and at the same time, what an exposition opportunity to talk about and illustrate the young Elizabeth.

Wherever this series is going to go, now that the teenager knows her parents lied to her all of her life, something has to happen to put Elizabeth and Philip back in charge. And my guess is that Henry will soon be on this caravan too, because no way could we go through this twice!

The producers should give us a glimpse of Elizabeth's mother somehow, whether in Russia or not (I think from what Gabriel says, it has to be in Russia) and also someone connecting us similarly to Philip --perhaps his son.

Those two connections would provide a powerful emotional reboot of the series. It's difficult, now that we have come this far, imagining the kids remaining on the ride without some sort of reboot.

At the same time, I can see that there is little time for bonding, clocks are ticking, and I am trying to gird for disappointment.

• Love 1

It astounds me that Taffet did not use a lie detector with Martha.  That doesn't seem plausible to me.  She is one of their prime suspects: as Walter told her, she had more access to that pen than just about anyone else. 

Why has Anton started to trust Nina?  IMO she is totally playing him, and her latest ruse is her best.  

With just two episodes to go, lots of key story lines to wrap up.  I'm eager to see how the producers/writers pull this off. 

• Love 3

I loved It when Elizabeth called Paige "Honey" and then Paige said "Don't call me that".

I gave her TWO thumbs up when Elizabeth told that very heart wrenching, probably VERY true story about her mother and her childhood and Paige just looked at her and said "How can I believe anything that you say"? Elizabeth, sadly, just looked at Paige and had NO answer.

YES - Paige has all of the power. She has her parents by the (male body parts).

I thought for sure that she would call her parents Mischa and Nadezhda or Nadia.

She may not be acting out with alcohol, drugs, or foul language - but it is still a form of acting out.

She walked into her parents room and asked them what they were talking about. Of course, it was none of her business - but she still did it. MAYBE she was just proving to them that she had the power to do this.

• Love 2

When Paige was asking a lot of questions about Philip and Elizabeth's life - what was true and what was a lie - I was surprised to hear Philip say that the travel agency was real, and that they don't know that P & E are spies. How can that be? Aren't they dropping in and out at all times? How do they explain their irregular hours? Irregular everything?

(edited)
Once again, I must be the only one who didn't like the Paige stuff. She's got way too much power now, which is what happens when people try to be their children's friend instead of their parents. WTH? Knocking on P and E's bedroom door before they're even up and demanding to know what they're talking about? How about, "None of your damned business!"?

I'm with you to a large extent. What bugs me about her behavior is the way she is reacting to their answers, too. They tell her the truth, and she gets all huffy as if she is entitled to some other answers that would be more to her liking, and she is acting like she places blame on her parents for not providing those other answers to her. There are no other answers! I understand that Paige doesn't know how she can believe anything they say, but those are honest answers, she is just choosing to not accept them - and it's somehow Philip and Elizabeth's fault! It's borderline insufferable to me.

Forgot to add: how late do P&E get up anyway? It seemed like the sun was pretty high already when they woke up, and isn't it supposed to be winter or early spring there?

Edited by shura
  • Love 6

I loved It when Elizabeth called Paige "Honey" and then Paige said "Don't call me that".

I gave her TWO thumbs up when Elizabeth told that very heart wrenching, probably VERY true story about her mother and her childhood and Paige just looked at her and said "How can I believe anything that you say"? Elizabeth, sadly, just looked at Paige and had NO answer.

YES - Paige has all of the power. She has her parents by the (male body parts).

I thought for sure that she would call her parents Mischa and Nadezhda or Nadia.

She may not be acting out with alcohol, drugs, or foul language - but it is still a form of acting out.

She walked into her parents room and asked them what they were talking about. Of course, it was none of her business - but she still did it. MAYBE she was just proving to them that she had the power to do this.

I thought she walked in the bedroom to see if they were actually there. Of course the last time she did it she walked into every teenagers worst nightmare - her parents having sex. 

Why do I have a feeling that Elizabeth's mother has been dead for a very long time and the tapes/letters were done in advance? And what if they do go back to Russia and see just how things are? Somehow I'm thinking Paige will be even more confused by the contrast. 

I think the actress playing Paige is doing a great job. Anger has set in now - and betrayal - and it simmers below the surface. Elizabeth is puzzled because she really thought Paige would take this better and they'd bond and it seems the opposite is happening. I'm glad Elizabeth is starting to question everything. Paige has learned her entire life has been a lie and of course she's upset, hurt, angry and betrayed.

• Love 3

I couldn't help but wonder when Elizababeth was getting down with the hotel manager, if he was trying to figure out why a classy, professional lady like her had a missing tooth.  Why wouldn't she have that taken care of?  Odd. I don't think that kind of thing was common in the 80's.

• Love 2

I don't want Elizabeth and most certainly Paige to go to Russia. That seems so After school special to me. There has to be a better way to prove to Paige they are telling the truth.

What makes the Paige stuff hard to deal with is that she is acting like anyone else would given the same situation. Pissed off and ornery With a side order of scared shitless.

See Martha you can lie very well: No sir, no husband/boyfriend/communist in my life. Just me, myself, and I.

• Love 7

I thought she walked in the bedroom to see if they were actually there. Of course the last time she did it she walked into every teenagers worst nightmare - her parents having sex. 

Why do I have a feeling that Elizabeth's mother has been dead for a very long time and the tapes/letters were done in advance? And what if they do go back to Russia and see just how things are? Somehow I'm thinking Paige will be even more confused by the contrast. 

I think the actress playing Paige is doing a great job. Anger has set in now - and betrayal - and it simmers below the surface. Elizabeth is puzzled because she really thought Paige would take this better and they'd bond and it seems the opposite is happening. I'm glad Elizabeth is starting to question everything. Paige has learned her entire life has been a lie and of course she's upset, hurt, angry and betrayed.

I believe that Elizabeth is NOW seeing her life through Paige's eyes. For the first time in her life she is developing a conscience. It looked like she had problems sleeping with that hotel manager because it was a lie, and that is what Paige had accused her of doing. She might FINALLY be thinking like a mother, and NOT as a spy - plus the fact that she probably doesn't want this life for Paige.

• Love 4

When Paige was asking a lot of questions about Philip and Elizabeth's life - what was true and what was a lie - I was surprised to hear Philip say that the travel agency was real, and that they don't know that P & E are spies. How can that be? Aren't they dropping in and out at all times? How do they explain their irregular hours? Irregular everything?

They wouldn't be the first business owners who let their show up whenever they feel like it, and hire a manager to actually run the place. Their employees probably think it's weird that they spend so much time at the office behind closed doors, but I doubt they suspect much.

I'm with you to a large extent. What bugs me about her behavior is the way she is reacting to their answers, too. They tell her the truth, and she gets all huffy as if she is entitled to some other answers that would be more to her liking, and she is acting like she places blame on her parents for not providing those other answers to her. There are no other answers! I understand that Paige doesn't know how she can believe anything they say, but those are honest answers, she is just choosing to not accept them - and it's somehow Philip and Elizabeth's fault! It's borderline insufferable to me.

Paige's smugness has been an issue for me ever since she found Jesus. I think it's perfectly believable that a child of Elizabeth would act that way - I just don't want to watch her.

I understand her reactions to a certain extent, though. Just because you demand honesty doesn't mean you can't be angry about the truth - especially when the truth is that your parents are spies, and their lives are lies.

• Love 6
(edited)

Was Elizabeth wearing the same white business suit (in the hotel computer/video camera control center room) in this episode as the last one (she wore it up the room when she told the hotel manager about the bed stain) or did they just look a like?

I noticed this too. I think it's the same one, and I think it's on purpose. Pretty smart from a spy standpoint. (and for non-spies, too. See: Clinton, Hillary, pantsuits) It allows the spy to avoid giving the mark new visual information to process (and possibly confuse or distract) and shifts focus onto the point of their interaction, in this case, sexytimes.  I've read that smart actresses on audition call-backs will wear the same outfit they did for their initial turns so that they will be 1) more easily remembered; 2) don't dislodge whatever visual the casting director liked enough to see again. That, and, well, het men tend not to notice women's fashions at the same level of detail as other women. Hotel manager probably only processed the cleavage visible, rather than the suit jacket that made it so.

Correction for Tara's recap: It was Hans serving as the hotel desk distraction, not Philip.

I want to give props to Langella's face when he came home to find P&E had done a B&E.  All without a word, he conveyed surprise to find anybody there, affront at the uninvited guests, recognition that they were trained for that kind of thing, and satisfaction/respect that they pulled it off without him noticing.

Edited by attica
  • Love 7
(edited)

Elizabeth said, "that kid's nuts" about Henry, and she didn't seem to be joking.  Has she always shown a preference towards Paige?

Not preference, exactly, but she has always seemed to find Paige easier to understand because she can see that Henry is more like Philip. She understands Paige's anger and confrontation. She's less able to deal with Henry simply withdrawing--just as she is less able to deal with that from Philip. Henry genuinely enjoys stuff she thinks is weird (as does Philip) where as Paige is more into stuff she's into.

It was a small thing, but it niggled at me that Philip said his name was Misha instead of Mikhail but Elizabeth went with the fully unpronounceable-for-Paige Nadezhda.

I didn't even find that small--wtf? It was so strange! I used to think it was funny that we, the audience, always think of them that way because those are the forms of the names we've heard more often, but now the characters, too, seem to be doing it. Maybe they just wanted Paige to stumble over that difficult name, but if so they could have had them both give their full names and then switch to the easier versions. Sure it is probably more in Philip's character to automatically give the American-friendly version but it's Elizabeth's choice that seems more in need of explanation.

This was one of those episodes where I can tell that everything is supposed to cohere around a central theme, but I'm still trying to figure out what that theme is supposed to be.

I read one review that said everyone is Anton Baklanov, in a prison where they're forced to dance to someone else's tune.

When Paige was asking a lot of questions about Philip and Elizabeth's life - what was true and what was a lie - I was surprised to hear Philip say that the travel agency was real, and that they don't know that P & E are spies. How can that be? Aren't they dropping in and out at all times? How do they explain their irregular hours? 

Not really a problem--as the bosses they can come and go as they please, and they seem to be there fairly often during the day.

I couldn't help but wonder when Elizababeth was getting down with the hotel manager, if he was trying to figure out why a classy, professional lady like her had a missing tooth.  Why wouldn't she have that taken care of?  Odd. I don't think that kind of thing was common in the 80's.

Would he notice she was missing a tooth? Isn't it a back molar?

Paige's smugness has been an issue for me ever since she found Jesus. I think it's perfectly believable that a child of Elizabeth would act that way - I just don't want to watch her.

It's completely believable--it couldn't really be otherwise, but it's why when Philip says things like "If she said one more thing about nonviolent resistance I was going to punch her in the face" you can't help but sympathize. I've no doubt Elizabeth was just as much of a priss pill at that age.

I do think that P&E are going to start getting some power back pretty soon, though. They may feel guilty but if Paige is going to push them by loudly talking about things where Henry can hear they're going to put their foot down.

And while it may be just a by-product of the show's policy (or Philip's policy) of never talking or thinking about Philip's past, it makes for an interesting dynamic the way Elizabeth now so wants to bond with Paige and be close to her while Philip's just matter of fact and not really asking anything from her. He's been doing that since the beginning, not offering a defense or asking for forgiveness but being the one to lay out the facts in the most straightforward way.

Edited by sistermagpie

Paige is just bursting at the seams with questions. And I like the idea that they've both decided to be honest about anything not involving operational details.

And yet, the very first question out of the box, they lied about:

"Are you really married?" Yes, of course we are.

The honest answer, and the one that would have served their purposes well would have been:

"We never had a ceremony. We were paired together, but we have grown to really love each other and we love you and your brother more than anything. We are a family in every way."

That would not only have been the truth, but it would have redirected Paige's questions back to love and family and away from dangerous areas.

Paige is very astute. She jumps to the real point, sometimes without knowing she does.

"Are you trying to make me into a travel agent?"

(edited)

Great episode, which is what I always think a couple before the end of the season.

A while back I posted my prediction that Elizabeth--and now maybe Paige--could go to Russia to visit with Elizabeth's dying mother. I love this possibility but can see it's fraught with all sorts of production and other obstacles. But, still I love the idea that in one trip, Elizabeth could give Paige a major family connection and at the same time, what an exposition opportunity to talk about and illustrate the young Elizabeth.

Wherever this series is going to go, now that the teenager knows her parents lied to her all of her life, something has to happen to put Elizabeth and Philip back in charge. And my guess is that Henry will soon be on this caravan too, because no way could we go through this twice!

The producers should give us a glimpse of Elizabeth's mother somehow, whether in Russia or not (I think from what Gabriel says, it has to be in Russia) and also someone connecting us similarly to Philip --perhaps his son.

Those two connections would provide a powerful emotional reboot of the series. It's difficult, now that we have come this far, imagining the kids remaining on the ride without some sort of reboot.

At the same time, I can see that there is little time for bonding, clocks are ticking, and I am trying to gird for disappointment.

I was thinking this too, but I'm not sure how an American teen would react to 1980's Russia. It would certainly be extreme culture shock and might push her away from the thought of helping the USSR.

The KGB would have to control what she saw and orchestrate her encounters with everyone she met to ensure her reaction would be positive.

Paige's religion is also in stark contrast to Soviet doctrine. I'm sure Paige would never be trusted by the KGB and she would be run and handled just like all the other sources P&E run.

Phillip seems to know that, but Elizabeth seems to think that Paige can be a true Soviet patriot.

What the hell is she thinking?

They have to know that all spies are used like a wedge of lemon, once every drop of juice is squeezed from you, you are tossed away like a dried up rind.

That even includes P&E! They are being squeezed for every drop of their usefulness, even their own children.

Gabriel really does need to bend to one of Phillips demands soon.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 3

One tiny little thing in the episode kind of broke my heart--when Paige asked whether they were really friends with Mr. Beeman at all, Philip quickly said that they WERE friends.  And, sadly for both Stan and Phiip, they are.  Of all the explosions to come, I dread Stan/Philip the most.  I really dig their friendship, and it's something that both of them really need.  And unfortunately, there's no way they'll be able to sustain it.

• Love 14

I posted on another thread last week that Elizabeth and Paige could go to a Soviet satellite country like Hungary or Czechoslovakia to meet Nadezhda's mother. I suspect the most likely meet-up point could be East Germany-it could be finagled (perhaps by Claudia?) and would be the most suitable way to keep the US authorities from becoming suspicious.

• Love 1

That would not only have been the truth, but it would have redirected Paige's questions back to love and family and away from dangerous areas.

But they are married, so why isn't that the truth? I just think it's hurtful to start bringing up that this is basically an arranged marriage. Probably the worst thing Paige could learn was that her mother was forced to have children out of duty and her father was maybe neutral about it. Of course we know that from Paige's pov their marriage doesn't pass muster--they sleep with other people, they had no ceremony, they only recently really decided they loved each other. But there's imo nothing really untruthful about these two saying they're married--and no reason to respond to that question with qualifications that basically say that no, they aren't.

• Love 4
(edited)

Presumably they have an American legal marriage license, which is as good as being married under those identities. Although now I think on it, it's probably forged. So yeah, that's a question with a complicated answer.

I'd say the bigger lie is about the kids being wanted. That's definitely a stretch for Elizabeth, at least.

Edited by PinkRibbons
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think it was a joke, they both gave tiny chuckles.

Yes they are (present tense) married, unconventionally at first but quite real now since the first season. Anything else is splitting hairs, that'll come when she gets to know operational stuff. Elizabeth can't for instance, tell the truth about Gregory, even Philip didn't know until recently. Philip can't as yet also confess about Paige's half brother who might or might not exist. Paige's questioning was the initial reaction since the dumb-foundedness of last week: "Is Henry my brother?" Last week some people were questioning Paige's reaction and I said we'd probably get a rise out her in the coming weeks. That's why I liked that scene, she was like question machine. In many other shows when a character gets profound information like this they don't tend to react like a normal human being, i.e. with plenty of questions. I also like Paige's reaction to the answers, what is real and what is not from these professional liars who've basically made her whole life until now a lie? Eventually she'll calm down, that's when Philip and Elizabeth need to be on the lookout for the betrayal.

I posted on another thread last week that Elizabeth and Paige could go to a Soviet satellite country like Hungary or Czechoslovakia to meet Nadezhda's mother. I suspect the most likely meet-up point could be East Germany-it could be finagled (perhaps by Claudia?) and would be the most suitable way to keep the US authorities from becoming suspicious.

There's a Kenya trip that's coming up that could make a good cover, if they can disappear without arousing the pastor's suspicions.

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 2

I think it was a joke, they both gave tiny chuckles.

That's how I read it.  It was a nice moment for them, a tiny bit of normal and connection. 

Hadn't thought about the Kenya trip, Boundary, but it would make a very nice bit of drama.  I mean Elizabeth is in the travel business but never goes anywhere, why not Africa?  Just speculating here but I wonder if Elizabeth's mom is actually dead and has been for a while.  Make for an awkward meeting in Kenya with, I'm gonna guess, Gabriel.   

What year are we up to here?  Must be getting near Korean Air flight 007 by now.  Be a hell of a crimp in the 'Soviet Union A-Ok' campaign.  I happened to be in Germany right before that happened, having just declined a chance to visit moscow (had the money, didn't have the time to make all the arrangements).  It ratcheted up the tension a bit.  

• Love 1

Actually, they aren't married. It was even verbalized the first year when Phillip moved out - "We were never married, and the Center probably wouldn't even care." The fact they aren't married was the source of subtext at Clark and Martha's wedding with Elizabeth looking wistfully at the wedding rings and the ceremony.

They could be "common law" married, I suppose, but in any case, with the direct question from Paige - "Are you married?" The truth would have been to explain the situation, but to emphasize the loving part of the relationship and the family. Phillip didn't do that. He jumped immediately to the quick answer, which was a lie.

Which is interesting because every other thing, they are being truthful about, even if it makes them uncomfortable. I suspect the quick lie from Phillip was because he is lying to himself as well. As to being a spy, he will squirm, but he will answer truthfully. About being friends with Stan, he will stumble but say truthfully that yes, they are friends. About being married to the woman he loves, he can't bring himself to say out loud that he isn't really.

• Love 3
There's a Kenya trip that's coming up that could make a good cover, if they can disappear without arousing the pastor's suspicions.

I thought the Kenya trip was in the summer. It's the annual trip. I don't think Elizabeth needs some cover trip like that. She can just take her daughter to Europe during Easter week or whatever got the USSR. Which I'm sure she will.

The fact they aren't married was the source of subtext at Clark and Martha's wedding with Elizabeth looking wistfully at the wedding rings and the ceremony.

They were talking about having a ceremony, saying the words. They've probably been filing joint tax returns for years saying they're married and they've raised two kids together and are in love. What's not married about them? It's not a lie. A marriage is what the two people in it make of it. I think Philip was being truthful, which is why he wasn't squirming.

• Love 4

They were talking about having a ceremony, saying the words. 

So true. I remember it was the same episode Nina took her oath and the whole episode theme was about ceremony and its meanings. They are married, their marriage has to have a proper paper trail, otherwise it's a careless loose end on their part. Mortgage, life insurance, tax returns, joint bank accounts - all of it representing a mundane life enough to throw any FBI agent off the scent. 

• Love 1

That scene with Oleg and Tatiana beeeeeping at each other is maybe the most authentic scene showing co-workers working together that I've ever seen.

• Love 13