Type keyword(s) to search

Jericho - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Can I just say that I wanted to punch Eric in the face when he acted all pissed that his wife wanted a divorce, like he wasn't screwing the local bar keep?

I would think Hawkins would have been smarter than to sit in his backyard with all his spy equipment....

• Love 3

Can I just say that I wanted to punch Eric in the face when he acted all pissed that his wife wanted a divorce, like he wasn't screwing the local bar keep?

I would think Hawkins would have been smarter than to sit in his backyard with all his spy equipment....

He must have the same provider I do; reception is terrible in my secret bunker!

I just want to punch Eric in the face anyway.

Mimi is too snotty for someone stuck with people she is dependent on.

Stop!Picking!Up!Pins!

OK, rich chica, you were a beeyotch before you thought your mom was dead, so you can still die in a fiery car-crash, please and thank you.

I am soooo glad the two prisoners at the farm were dealt with his week. I was worried we'd have to deal with a kidnapping plot for a few episodes. I like a show that knows what kinds of things do not need to be stretched over multiple episodes.

I am very suspicious that DC (from the pins we saw) was passed over. Isn't that the first city you hit if you're foreign? Hmmm.

I need something to call brother-who-looks-like-a-Manning-brother since I don't think others see the resemblance, and I don't seem to want to bother with his actual name. And how cliche, having an affair with the bartender. Ugh.

• Love 2

Okay so am I the only one that sees Gray in a completely different light after seeing TWD?

The first time I watched this show I thought he was just a swarmy politician that was out for his own interests.  Now I do still see him that way to a bit, but his experience with the "outside" world rings more true this time around, and I'm not second guessing his motives like I did the first time I watched.

I think too many apocalyptic shows and books have made me a person that - if I survived the first and second wave (and let's not underestimate how big an IF that is) - I would jump pretty quickly to "Katy bar the door!" 

I was surprised it took until Rogue River for them to encounter a more hostile band of survivors.

Edited because I forgot:
How great was Rob's daughter? She is smooth with the cover story, and had a real knack for coaching her brother when she saw making the story tighter wasn't going to work ("just go with that. keep saying you're hungry, louder"). She was smooth with the covert badge drop, and read Rob's eye-convo and made it work. Her take down of Gray Anderson was fantastic.

Edited by KarateKate
  • Love 1

It took me until about this episode to think "Gee, I wonder if the morse code at the beginning of the show means anything?" Of course it did! And something different every episode. My ear is not attuned to mores differentiation - I didn't even realize they were different.

Man, I am not liking those Ravenwood folk. I thought Jonah's crew was going to be bad news, but this group could really wipe the town out.

• Love 1

I think too many apocalyptic shows and books have made me a person that - if I survived the first and second wave (and let's not underestimate how big an IF that is) - I would jump pretty quickly to "Katy bar the door!" 

I was surprised it took until Rogue River for them to encounter a more hostile band of survivors.

Probably because its rural Kansas? :-)

Have fun counting the similarities between Jericho and TWD!

I always felt that Ravenwood was a stand-in for Blackwater, and some other people also are doppelgangers for certain IRL personalities. This show was created after 9/11, and the Patriot Act, etc.

Lots of fun coming up with these guys. Well, not fun for everyone.

Are you letting Jonah off the hook?lol I need to through a Jonah thread up; you folks are zipping along through the eps!!

Okay so am I the only one that sees Gray in a completely different light after seeing TWD?

Yes, everything starts this mental bell going off hey they did that years later in TWD! Kirkman is so original!

Gray Anderson is a little bit of a schmuck though.

Are you letting Jonah off the hook?lol I need to through a Jonah thread up; you folks are zipping along through the eps!!

I am bedded with quasi-mono - it's a Netflix binge sorta day.

I'm not letting Jonah off the hook, I just think others can be more acutely devastating to Jericho. Jonah has the potential for a more "poison the well" long-term sapping of Jericho. Jonah seems to be "me first, but if you can, fine" survivalist. Comfy 2015 KarateKate finds that reprehensible. A quick switch into post-apocalypse minded Kate and I think I want to be on his side. Sorry, Skeet.

• Love 1

Start with the last - whoa, Gracie! Just when I thought she was coming back into the grocery to smirk while she teamed back up with Jonah or something (I had decided she was secretly evil, and not just opportunistic), and... BAM!

I'm not sure why it took me so long to really find it problematic, but WHERE are all of these people drying and styling their hair? Do they have some hand-pump beauty salon chair somewhere? The coifs, they are too well kept. 

I can't blame either side of AirDropGate - the cautious and rationy side, or the "look!! Food!" side (highlit (highlighted?) by Mimi running through the corn exulting over chocolate). I can't even blame the Jonah & co "Watching out for me and mine without letting the dumbasses screw it up" recon side. (I want to dislike Jonah, I just can't fully blame him).

Mimi and Stanley? I mean, they've been telegraphing it from the beginning; I'm frankly surprised it took this long. But I'm just not sure.

• Love 1

I am bedded with quasi-mono - it's a Netflix binge sorta day.

I'm not letting Jonah off the hook, I just think others can be more acutely devastating to Jericho. Jonah has the potential for a more "poison the well" long-term sapping of Jericho. Jonah seems to be "me first, but if you can, fine" survivalist. Comfy 2015 KarateKate finds that reprehensible. A quick switch into post-apocalypse minded Kate and I think I want to be on his side. Sorry, Skeet.

I'm sorry you are ill; hope it goes away soon. But catching up on videos is a good way to keep your mind off feeling crappy.

Count me in on the post apocalyptic man-choice: it's like Merle on TWD or Boston Rob on Survivor---find the guy who everyone else doesn't mess with and he knows how to stay alive.

• Love 1

Start with the last - whoa, Gracie! Just when I thought she was coming back into the grocery to smirk while she teamed back up with Jonah or something (I had decided she was secretly evil, and not just opportunistic), and... BAM!

I'm not sure why it took me so long to really find it problematic, but WHERE are all of these people drying and styling their hair? Do they have some hand-pump beauty salon chair somewhere? The coifs, they are too well kept. 

I can't blame either side of AirDropGate - the cautious and rationy side, or the "look!! Food!" side (highlit (highlighted?) by Mimi running through the corn exulting over chocolate). I can't even blame the Jonah & co "Watching out for me and mine without letting the dumbasses screw it up" recon side. (I want to dislike Jonah, I just can't fully blame him).

Mimi and Stanley? I mean, they've been telegraphing it from the beginning; I'm frankly surprised it took this long. But I'm just not sure.

Of course with someone like Gracie, everybody is a suspect lol.

As far as the airdrop, I'd like to think that I'd keep my head. But in my heart of hearts I know I would knock you down for some food and don't even start me on chocolate.

During the show's broadcast run; the Stanley and Mimi pairing was actually hugely divisive. They were also known as "Stimi" (steamy, get it? UGH)

They do love to load the last few minutes of the show, don't they?

First, though, this is the episode where I take a moment to thank the show for being a post-apocalyptic world where people still listen to music and where they put it regularly into the soundtrack (even when it's not the characters hearing it). Don't get me wrong, they still have the folksy-twang of newfound simplelife music (think them to "The Stand" miniseries here), but they have some more modern music, as well. And a well placed Sinead O'Connor bit.

I'm super concerned about the newcomers - they look like they got the radiation rain, and it is not looking good. Will this be the Roger break needed to clear the way for full out Skeet-love triangle?

And it's great to see that whoever Rob works for still has satellites in good working order! Well, maybe not great for Rob. Or Jericho.

On a final note, one of the good things about watching an old show is that the whole thing has been recapped by TWOP, and archived, so I can read them. Huzzah!

• Love 1

During the show's broadcast run; the Stanley and Mimi pairing was actually hugely divisive. They were also known as "Stimi" (steamy, get it? UGH)

Of course, that's the name Stanley settled on for them in the next episode. Defeating Smanley (?), among others

• Love 1

A hunting trip with Jake, Stanley, and Mimi...what could go wrong?

Hawkins troubles get worse, and Roger is going through some changes.

Yay for a show that has a winter that looks like winter!

• Love 1

So I'm still confused about this whole nuclear rain.  Did it end up not being nuclear?  I remember when I first watched the show I thought Hawkins was doing it so he could hide whatever he needed to hide and get people out of the way, but Jake was freaked too.

Then Farm Boy was out in it for 20 minutes but nothing.  I would think all crops, animals, everything would be pretty much done for.  The water supply too, even if they covered the wells.  So I'm guessing it was not radioactive?

The second part of this is actually in episode 3, just in case anyone else is confused like I was :).

• Love 1

Random thoughts-

-OK bartender, I know you are feeling betrayed, but can you find some other time to confront your lover?!?!? Sheesh! And then they're back together by the end. Please join snobby, rich teenage girl and see below:

-Oh, look. A roaming band of well-groomed asshole teenagers whose parents obviously don't care if they run around post-bombing and radioactive rain. Maybe the parents are just hoping they get their self-entitled asses killed. Dale's friend still needs to die in a horrible, horrible way.

-Gas pumps aren't working, so let's take the biggest gas guzzlers we can to go scouting nearby cities.

-I know Hawkins is all mysterious, but I'm really curious where Jake got all this random knowledge from. He knows how to listen to a plane's "black" box?

I do have to cut him slack on the bus, though. I know the breathing tube trick from when Radar had to do it on M*A*S*H while being instructed over the radio.

-I know! The mystery barrel is full of nuts! Right?

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3

Random thoughts-

-OK bartender, I know you are feeling betrayed, but can you find some other time to confront your lover?!?!? Sheesh! And then they're back together by the end. Please join snobby, rich teenage girl and see below:

-Oh, look. A roaming band of well-groomed asshole teenagers whose parents obviously don't care if they run around post-bombing and radioactive rain. Maybe the parents are just hoping they get their self-entitled asses killed. Dale's friend still needs to die in a horrible way.

-Gas pumps aren't working, so let's take the biggest gas guzzlers we can to go scouting nearby cities.

-I know Hawkins is all mysterious, but I'm really curious where Jake got all this random knowledge from. He knows how to listen to a plane's "black" box?

Do Eric and the bartender think that just moving to the end of the bar is "meeting in secret"?

I think if I was a parent and my spawn turned out like that I would encourage them to go out and play in the fallout.

I think men in apocalyptic stories get really excited about bad-ass survival image and need to drive big loud gas hogs.

• Love 1

I need something to call brother-who-looks-like-a-Manning-brother since I don't think others see the resemblance, and I don't seem to want to bother with his actual name. And how cliche, having an affair with the bartender. Ugh.

I always thought he looked like Noah Wiley. I couldn't tell you his name if you paid me, I just think of him as Cheating Bro.

• Love 1

[snip]

I do have to cut him slack on the bus, though. I know the breathing tube trick from when Radar had to do it on M*A*S*H while being instructed over the radio.

[snip]

I have gotten to enjoy reading some archived TWoP recaps of Jericho, and it stuck with me the recapper's theory - that Jake was studying to be a contestant on Jeopardy! just before the bombs. 

• Love 1

At first impression I thought Stanley was a little slow...by episode 3 I think he's adorable. At least Bonnie has a more tolerable brother than Jake does.

I have had flashes of that throughout, and figured it was because my apocalyptic-mind shoes characters into The Stand characters... and this kid is a perfect young Tom Cullen. 

M-O-O-N. That spells "Confused Stanley looks like Tom Cullen" Laws, yes!

No spoiler - just pictures, and it scrolls better without them auto-loading.

Tom.png stanley02.jpg

• Love 3

Somehow, I really hadn't realized how very close to the blasts the Hawkins family arrived in Jericho. I am even more impressed with the daughters' ability to work the cover, since this obviously isn't a pre-planned move.

At the end of the episode, I really didn't recognize SpyGirlfriend at first; I confusedly thought it was Jake's friend's fiance for a stupid second (did I mention I have been sick all week while watching?)

I liked the glimpse back into pre-apocolypse life, but the time stamps just seemed... off a little? Like they were trying to time stamp Ferris Beuller's Day Off. I mean, start me out at 36 hours and I know where it ends, but adding the middle time stamps just made more of a point that it didn't quiiiite add up.

Jake's immediate history got clearer, but he still has a haze of mystery years about him, as does Hawkins. So is Hawkins a bad guy? Did they swing by Columbus to blow it up on the way? Even if not, there are a lot of dead bodies in his wake.

I found the Stanley/Mimi interaction both predictable but oddly enjoyable.

• Love 2

Jericho is one of those shows I never get tired of watching.  The pilot lays out enough to intrigue but also pushes the story/characters forward. 

I especially liked Mayor Green being charged 50¢ by the town kook to use the Ham radio.

Time to binge-watch, crushing so hard on Skeet Ulrich again! 

Edited by CodeNameDuchess
  • Love 2

Just watched this one last night. The arrival of the new people is interesting, as was Dale. I was surprised they offed Gracie, but she bugged me, so I wasn't upset.

Some of the stuff (the multiple love triangles Jake's, his brother's, and Stanley's, if you count Bonnie a participant) is getting to be a bit much. I appreciate more focus on stuff that is NEW in an apocalypse, not stuff that already exists.

• Love 1

Just watched this one last night. The arrival of the new people is interesting, as was Dale. I was surprised they offed Gracie, but she bugged me, so I wasn't upset.

Some of the stuff (the multiple love triangles Jake's, his brother's, and Stanley's, if you count Bonnie a participant) is getting to be a bit much. I appreciate more focus on stuff that is NEW in an apocalypse, not stuff that already exists.

I get the love triangle stuff can get old, but this show actually did it without hitting you over the head making everything about just that like most shows do.  That's usually where most shows lose me, but Jericho didn't.

I didn't mind Gracie biting it either.  She represented every gossipy cranky old ass bitter woman I've ever dealt with in my life.

• Love 2

I called the "Marines" being big fakers from the start. Obviously the townsfolk haven't watched enough Walking Dead to know survivors can't be trusted.

I thought Jake and the girl for a bit close too soon, but whatever. The ending worked out very well versus what could've happened.

• Love 2

This one surprised me and saddened me! I thought she might lose the baby and live, but April's death was unexpected. I liked her. I thought the actors did a good job as well. Kind of wish Mom Green hadn't said that they'd take care of Mary. :p I'm interested in seeing what Heather (bus teacher lady?) is up to. (And hey Lassie from Psych!)

• Love 2

Very high body count in this arc! Added some excitement. 

Randomly, I can not stop looking at Hawkins's lower teeth. I did not notice their complete crookedness on Walking Dead.

• Love 1

Finished the series last night. I think it definitely suffered from having to rush to give it any type of ending. There were so many stories that could've been told, and I guess, had they known it'd be a short run, they could've left a lot out of season 1. I wasn't unsatisfied by the ending, and I enjoyed the glimpses of Texas to show another government. Not the worst tv show I've seen. ;)

• Love 2

Late to getting back to the party. (Had to trade a bag a chips for an invite.)

I continue to appreciate the pacing. They need gas (somehow no one thought of siphoning before now) and then they get it, in the same episode. Someone says there are people who need help. They get a group and go and find them, in the very same episode. It's so refreshing!

Im guessing there will eventually be a turn-around for the shitty teen girl, but I will resist it!

(edited)

The power is on for 15 minutes and people are sending their kids back to school? I mean, my kids home for the summer are driving me crazy, but still.

Best line: "Yeah, I was a pool guy, too."

Please Lennie/Morgan/Marcus be a good guy! 

Dale breaks my heart. Poor kid.

So April wanted out, but once the bomb drops she knows it's not the right time. Eric, on the other hand, was going to leave his wife and move-in with the bartender in an extremely small town during this mess? What an asshole! I was really hoping April was going to say she was in love with someone else. Rats.

Dear Major Dad, 

WE care where Jake's been! Damn.

Laughably, Netflix thinks that since I'm watching Jericho, I might like Revolution. Because I'm a completist, and David Lyons has gorgeous eyes, I actually went to the end of that shitstorm. Trust me, if you like Jericho, you will not like Revolution (except maybe for the snark factor).

Edited by morgankobi

Of course she's pregnant. Ugh.

Right. Like a small-town wannabe mayor would ever be any match for Lennie James. Hell, even his daughter is better than Gray.

The you've been doing a great job, pat on the head, who's a good boy? bit at the end was the icing on the cake.