Type keyword(s) to search

Louie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Man, I missed this show. These first two are definitely funnier than most of the last season, while still being moody and quiet and awesome.

"Dear AIDS: Please cut it out."

• Love 1

This episode was sublime. Even just the sheer alternation of it: Louie is a depressed asshole, he gets invited to a fancy thing, he bombs and Jerry is an enormous dick to him, he sleeps with an astronaut's daughter/model, he punches her and puts her in the hospital and owes them $5k/month for the rest of his life, Jamie takes pity on him and it's kind of happy. (Especially since, in show-land, the financial problems will just vanish, so no lasting consequences!)

Lucky for me, I am out to work when the garbage truck comes along.

Was it supposed to be a thread that Louie would not help Jane with her backpack and then later on hurts his own back for pretty much no reason? 

Apparently, this is loosely based on some experience (or multiple experiences) that he had in his 20s, though he did not accidentally punch the woman. I don't know if the story involved Jerry being horrible to him, though.

(edited)

This was one of the best episodes of the series so far.  Everything was just so perfect.  From him showing up at the party, the sad bus ride back to NYC and everything in between. 

Edited by hannah8976

I dont know how much of this to believe is real, in TV show terms, not his real life scenario its based on, and how much made just for a better story. I often get the impression the stories are exagerrations just because they are so surreal. Still enjoyable and thats part of the fun, is it meant to be 100% real or is he just making some of this up to impress/gain sympathy from the waitress?

Jerry was pretty funny too. Loved listening to Louis bomb.

(edited)

When Louie says no and Jane keeps whining, I was impressed by how calm he stayed. I find the sound of a whining kid makes me crazy. I just want them to shut up. I suspect this is why too many parents indulge their children's whims to the point of spoiling: just to make them shut up for a second. When the sister finally took the backpack, I wondered: is she like me (she can't stand the racket) or was she truly sympathetic?

I also noticed that he gave in to the whining at bedtime, and did the Beatles impression. When does he stay firm and when does he give in? You have to choose your battles, of course. I'm just interested in what governs it for any parent/child combination.

Edited by possibilities

I hate tickling. I think there should be a broad legal exception for any tickling-related injuries. Shudder.

At first, I couldn't think of any "clean" comedy C.K. had done, and so it was amusing to imagine him being left with nothing but chicken jokes. But then I remembered he did a monologue on SNL recently, which incidentally would have been great for Mother's Day. And he talks about other things like body image, middle aged decrepitude, people losing their sense of awe (everything's amazing and nobody's happy), economic inequality, inducing a dog to vomit, parenting... it's strange that his sex-related material and tendency to swear are such a big deal in his image, when he actually talks about a whole lot of other things.

Btw, chickens are not stupid or dumb. At least not the ones I've met. But what can you expect from a person who hates deer?

• Love 1

Lived in NYC my entire adult life, which is a long time, trust me.  And I loved the opening.  Also the moment with the old lady was hilarious, touching, and excruciating. The interaction with the daughters is real and funny.

Yep, missed you, Louie.

Glad this is back, but man, that scene with the doctor drove me crazy.  I can't stand chewing noises.  I know it was supposed to be funny but it made me want to toss the computer out the window. 

The masturbation/poker scene was pretty classic.

Louis CK said something on Fallon the other night about a six-episode arc about this woman Louie meets. But I don't know which episode he was talking about. Is it going to be Vanessa from this episode, or the foreign-language-speaking niece from the Elevator episode? (Please Vanessa, please please....)

I kept waiting/hoping for Louie to erupt into something along the lines of "For fuck's sake, quit manipulating me already. I understand what you're saying, but you can't guilt someone into being attracted to you."

She deserved every bit of the "No, you're not laying this on me, figure it out" treatment that Louie gave Doug Stanhope.

• Love 3

I don't think that's what she was getting at more than it was Louie wasn't even giving her a chance and dismissed her right off the bat. But he didn't deserve taking the brunt of that rant. What was he supposed to say? 

I kind of call BS on Louie turning her down initially, but he was making a point and building up to the end. 

I love "Louie" as a show and Louie CK as a performer, but this Amia thing bothers me too.  I really liked Vanessa, & she would be a great addition to the cast, but I can understand why they may not pair up.  It would be too rom-com sappy as the "perfect" happy ever after (temporarily anyway)ending, and that is definitely not what "Louie" is about. 

I try not to watch TV with my feminist glasses on to often, but the Amia fake relationship strikes me as another version of a male fantasy (TM possibilities). Amia is a quasi-attractive, almost silent, amiable, agreeable to whatever Louie wants to do.  He's so smitten with her because she can't talk back - unlike every other woman in his world.

It's too bad the wonderful Evanka can't stay in NYC!   I was never a huge Charles Grodin fan, but I'm loving his character and his cute doggie with "enough legs".

• Love 2

I know she's not old enough, but I was expecting Evanka to let out that she was performing to entertain the Nazis.

And I can see why Louie's first instinct was to run away from the woman who left him to try to make it work in Europe and then only came to him when it didn't work out.  Being the safe alternative isn't romantic.

(edited)

I missed a few episodes (last one I saw he went for a walk with the girl who kept asking him out...got tired of that scene where she kept going on and on and on about being overweight and Louie didn't understand this and he didn't "get" that, etc., etc.).  So, watching this past Monday night, I was totally lost.  But there is the prospect of certain scenes that keeps me hanging in there (e.g., anything that Charles Grodin's character is involved in) so I'll be back this coming Monday evening.  I like the show.  I especially like the New Yorkness of the show most of all.

Edited by annzeepark914

I am a huge Louis CK fan.  I even watched his old show and I never miss him if I know he is going to be on a talk show. Loved his earlier seasons but I am just not loving this season.  I don't see any humor in it.  The whole lack of "continuity" thing didn't really bother me that much until I had to give too much thought to whether the white lady in his flashback was his ex wife or was he showing us that he was married before.  It is almost like a middle finger to his fans - look how little I care about this fans (middle finger).  Then on boards everyone is talking about how brilliant it is.  Well it may be brilliant but it isn't funny or entertaining!   

I'm enjoying the season and each episode, but I think this season is kind of like some novels where you have to finish it in order to appreciate what came before. I think that many shows do that these days. I understand it can be frustrating for some viewers. I often have to remind myself to be patient because once the season ends we'll see the purpose and point of the individual episodes and scenes. But that's not to say that I'm just waiting for the end. I love the show and the characters.

Is it just me or is this show getting more and more peculiar?  Louie almost turns into a rapist, for God's sakes, with the unpleasant Pamela.  For me, the best scenes took place on public transportation (especially Louie moving across the aisle on the subway to sit next to the guy talking to himself...now that was a charitable thing to do!).

(edited)

Louie has been getting very rapey lately.  Also, Louie's set was the same one he did for Saturday Night Live a couple of months ago.

Edited by benteen

Please don't cave, Louie. Please. Do not cave.

At this point it's Pamela who I don't want to cave.

I'm kind of interested in seeing where this is going.  I didn't like last week's scene with Amia but having such a similar scene with Pamela makes me wonder if there is a larger theme at play here that won't end in justification for Louie's behavior.  The comedy bit he chose tonight makes me hopeful but we'll see.  I had higher hopes for the end of the Louie/Amia relationship but those never materialized. 

I am glad it's over for sure.

And totally, Louie could have started to learn some Hungarian.  In this day and age, there's really no excuse to be doing so.  I guess the lesson was lost on both Louie and I.

Google Translate segít abban, hogy az üzenetet az egész, és biztos vagyok benne, van valami a telefon alkalmazás, hogy segítsen fordítás.

(edited)

Louie has some nerve. Pamela read him like a book, he came running back to her after his other relationship didn't work out and he gets all rapey? Uncool, Louie. I know he thinks he was "being the man" and taking charge but he's a fool. I'm eager to see this relationship play out because it's been in the works for awhile but I can't see it going well at all. 

My favorite exchange in the episode was when Louie asked Pamela why she was so mean to her, and she responded with "why do you like it?" 

Edited by PetuniaP
  • Love 3

Fun to see the restaurant, MariVanna, in this episode since I was there a few weeks ago. However, it's Russian, not Hungarian so I was confused about how close the languages are and whether or not a Russian speaker could translate so easily. 

This whole thing felt a little like being stuck on an elevator only to finally have it get going but only to drop you 20 floors from where you needed to be, sigh, looks like I'll have to take the stairs.

Is it just me or is this show getting more and more peculiar?  Louie almost turns into a rapist, for God's sakes, with the unpleasant Pamela.  For me, the best scenes took place on public transportation (especially Louie moving across the aisle on the subway to sit next to the guy talking to himself...now that was a charitable thing to do!).

I agree.  I'm really not a fan this season. I simply do not get all of the weird news cut-ins. I don't understand what he's trying to do there.  And in previous years, Louie was a loveable dufus - or at least an understandable dufus. Comparing the Louie in the Dave Letterman episodes with the Louie in the Amia episodes is night and day.  

I really disliked everything with the Pamela forced kiss. 

• Love 2