Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

40 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have no problem with the "sky raisin" type of housefly. Stella can knock 'em out of the air with one blow  (and then, to my dismay, eats them.)  Cats are really good for vermin control unless the flies are too small.  I have noticed many dead fruit fly bodies in the globes of the ceiling fixtures. I've tried leaving the lights on to lure them... but they're STILL here.

I had a cat that was addicted to moths. We used lay odds on how quick she would get 'em.

• Laugh 1

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

From the annoying thread, the continuation of my first world problem of fruit fly infestation:

I've tried the cider vinegar/dish soap trick, among other things. So far, the best thing that's worked is the spider in the bathroom. His/her web has caught a bunch of 'em.  If I could only get the spider to move to the kitchen, where the most of them are!

The "Terro" traps seem to work and they smell strongly of vinegar. I've run out of their solution, so I suppose I'll try that vinegar/soap thing again and put it inside the commercial traps.  The Raid traps aren't worth the space they take up.

Wish me luck.

I've been having gnat problems. They are so annoying and in front of my face.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, nokat said:

I've been having gnat problems. They are so annoying and in front of my face.

Don't ride your bike!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

From the annoying thread, the continuation of my first world problem of fruit fly infestation:

I don't think any insect infestation is a "first world" problem. It's a health issue.

On 7/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, icemiser69 said:

I think my mom has a few of those.  They are really nice.

I used to collect Pocket Dragons.  They were cute.

I checked those out. They are cute!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I have no problem with the "sky raisin" type of housefly

"Sky raisin!" That is the first time I have seen those fat flies referred to as that but it is perfect! My cat used to catch them and also eat them....🤢

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Don't ride your bike!

New, from Peloton - duplicate the outdoor experience with our new Box O'Gnats.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

My parents had an infestation of those tiny gnats/flies, and after months of trying the vinegar traps, bug bombs, and such, the only thing that actually worked was digging up their kitchen floor and replacing the compromised underground pipe that they were getting in through.

• Useful 3
  • Surprise 5

18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I had a cat that was addicted to moths. We used lay odds on how quick she would get 'em.

I had a friend that was dared to eat a mouth.  He did.  He chewed it up and then opened his mouth with it all grody on his tongue.  Spoiler alert, it was green inside.

He told me the story, I didn't see him actually do it.  Good thing, I would have puked on him if I saw that.  Plus, I think it's cruel.  What did that moth ever do to him?

Edited by icemiser69
  • Surprise 3

The gnats, or fruit flies might have been drain flies.  

My first flying story is humiliating.   My local airport is big, but only has one commercial gate.    I set off the sensors, I had metal in my shoe soles, but didn't realize it.    So, I could either get patted down and wanded right next to the gate, in a see through booth, or opt for another room, for speed I opted for the booth by the gate.    The people who worked at the military post where I did had to fly for official travel through that airport too.     So as I was getting wanded, and patted down, tons of the other passengers were going through the gate, and they would glance over where I was.     Some would do a double take, and wave, or elbow the guy next to them, and some would recognize me, and then look away.    The TSA lady actually asked me if I knew everyone on the flight, and it was about 90%. 

The second story is about food on planes.   I was flying out of Atlanta, and it was a big plane, just the one size down from a 747, and packed.    I recognized a loud, obnoxious voice of a man I used to work with a long time ago.    So I buried my face in one of those in-flight magazines, and just peeked around the edges, because I was terrified that I would end up with him on my row.   

He waltzed by with a giant bag from one of the fast food places in the terminal (Atlanta), that was after the security lines.     The entire plane reeked of his burgers, and other stuff.    He was a bunch of rows behind me, and you could hear him yakking constantly.      About an hour later, one of his seatmates came forward, and complained to the flight attendant about him annoying everyone, so he finally quieted down.     

When we landed at the destination, I knew I wasn't that far ahead of him, and that airport used the big people movers to take you to the main terminal, so I rushed as much as I could to make sure I was on a carrier in front of him.   I barely made it, and you never saw anyone move faster to the baggage claim, and leave the airport.   Of all of the people to be on the same plane with, he was one of the most irritating.  

• Like 2
  • Surprise 2

Because I have a titanium knee, I have to get wanded/patted down each and every time. The last time was SO damn humiliating - they treated me like they already KNEW I was a terrorist - I no longer fly. I'll drive for days rather than fly.  TSA has an attitude problem.

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 4

On 7/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, Bruinsfan said:

My parents had an infestation of those tiny gnats/flies, and after months of trying the vinegar traps, bug bombs, and such, the only thing that actually worked was digging up their kitchen floor and replacing the compromised underground pipe that they were getting in through.

There is a plant they seem to like outside my front door. I open the door and in they come. Then I read why they get in your face. Apparently they like your eye secretions and now I'm so grossed out.

• Surprise 4

12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

image.png.bf9740513222e7e057969d90a31aeaf7.png

I scrolled down hoping to see this. Cheers!

• Like 3

Still to come, Jasmine. Honeysuckle is okay, but Jasmine is like when you hug your Grandmother and want to say slow down on the perfume.

• Laugh 1

I think it was spoken here before about Shingles (not the roofing kind).

I had my first Shingles shot yesterday, and I was wondering for those who also have had the shots, did you have any symptoms/issues of any kind after having the first shot?

So far, all I have is a sore arm, that is it.  Plus the band-aid wouldn't stay on, which was annoying.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Useful 1

I had the shots back in January. The first shot didn't hurt right away but by the next day I thought my arm was going to fall off.  I had a bit of a fever and there was a "bullseye" at the injection sight.  The whole area was VERY tender and the skin felt like a second degree sunburn. Couldn't even have clothes touch it. Was like that for about 3 days. I got the second shot 3 weeks later and none of that happened. 

• Useful 2

I had my shingles shots last year. First shot only side effect was a moderately sore arm for 2 days. Tylenol took care of it. 
My second shot same thing but the soreness only lasted 1 day. My husband was the same.

• Useful 4

I had both shots a few years ago.  No reaction at all to the first shot.  I felt like my arm was broken after the second one.  It was sore for a few days.  As compared to my covid vaxx last week where I had trouble believing the needle had even gone into my arm.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

I WISH I'd gotten my shingles shot last year before I got the shingles.  On my FACE.

I probably will get the shot later this summer.

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 5

I was told that I have to wait at least a month before I have the second Shingle shot. 

• Useful 1

4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was told that I have to wait at least a month before I have the second Shingle shot. 

I did not know you could get the shingles vaccine if you had already had them.

5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have never had shingles.  I did have a horrible, absolutely horrible, case of the chicken pox when I was sixteen or seventeen.  I do have a friend who has had shingles and her doctor told her that it is possible to get shingles more than once..  Even though she has had shingles, she did get both of her shingles shots after that.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Useful 2

Just now, icemiser69 said:

I have never had shingles.  I did have a horrible, absolutely horrible, case of the chicken pox when I was sixteen or seventeen.  I do have a friend who has had shingles and her doctor told her that it is possible to get shingles more than once..  Even though she has had shingles, she did get both of her shingles shots after that.

I just have this little spot on my back, smaller than dime. It only flares up when I'm stressed.

• Sad 2

There were quite a few complaints in the comment section over at MeTV under the Monk articles.  It is true that Monk is one of the newer shows, and MeTV is more of a retro network.  That said, Saved by the Bell airs on MeTV and that originally aired in the late 80s and early 90's.  Monk started roughly ten years after Saved by the Bell ended, that isn't really that big of a difference in time. 

I think the better argument is that Monk is available on so many other cable channels.  However, MeTV is a digital sub-channel and can be picked up via antenna without anyone having to have signed up for cable.  That might be the only way that non-cable viewers get to watch Monk on television.

Someone had suggested that Cannon be moved to a daytime slot instead of the overnight hours.  I don't know if that series would attract a lot of viewers.  Plus, there are so many references to Cannon's weight in episodes of that series, that is pretty damn close to fat shaming.  Yeah, the dude is big, get over it.

I think Mannix would be a better fit in a daytime time slot.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

I think Mannix would be a better fit in a daytime time slot.

I really want someone, anyone to start running Northern Exposure again.

• Like 7

On 7/7/2021 at 8:50 AM, ABay said:

People still shop at malls?

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Not really since Covid, but before that, yes.

(From discussion in the Favorites thread)

I'm still not doing much in-person shopping other than groceries, but in non-pandemic times, yes, I still went to the mall.  Not to "go to the mall" like when I was a teenager, wandering around for hours, having a snack, going in and out of stores.  But go to the mall because that's where a store I want something from is?  Maybe pop into another store I like in the same section of the mall to see if anything strikes my fancy since I'm here anyway?  Yes.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm still not doing much in-person shopping other than groceries, but in non-pandemic times, yes, I still went to the mall.  Not to "go to the mall" like when I was a teenager, wandering around for hours, having a snack, going in and out of stores.  But go to the mall because that's where a store I want something from is?  Maybe pop into another store I like in the same section of the mall to see if anything strikes my fancy since I'm here anyway?  Yes.

Before the internet, I had been catalog shopping since the late seventies when I got my first checking account. There used to be an order form in the catalog where you wrote in the item number, size, color and figured the shipping and tax (if applicable) and you sent a check. My favorites were the French Boot Shop in NYC and Victoria's Secret (don't snicker, they had the best jeans). Later, after I married, it was for home furnishings like The Pottery Barn and doo dads from Lillian Vernon. Oh, and seed and bulb catalogs.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 4

I go to the mall because of a particular store - LensCrafters for prescription glasses (which I won't need after Sept. 2nd because I'm having my second cataract surgery - so weird not to be wearing glasses since I've worn them since 4th grade (60 years) and once I was fully Covid vaccinated, I went to the Apple store to get a new iPad - I wanted them to transfer everything from my old to new.

I've got to get the shingles shots. My husband got his first, and they do make you wait awhile for the second. 

• Like 4

I worked at our mall here in town a few years ago-first at the bookstore that was in there, and then I did a temp job at a tax place that was in there as well. There were still customers, but yeah, as time went on and more of the stores left they started to dwindle away. Now the place has been turned into a recreation center, so... 

My mom got both of her shingles shots last year and each one knocked her out pretty good for a day or two. She said those hit her harder than either Covid shot did. 

• Useful 4
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

One of my jobs is at a mall, and people definitely shop at malls, although this seems to be how they do it. I don't know that kids hang out at the mall like they did back at the day (although my mall isn't the one in the area to do that at, since there is a bigger one not far away), but people definitely go to the mall as an outing.

"They" say that zoomers are going to bring back mall shopping, but who knows.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I hope that's not true. They tend to show up around your waist. I had only three blisters show up on my waist and it was so painful.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

yes, I still went to the mall.

I would go to this huge three story mall and spend all day there. Food court food.  I now have nightmares where I can't find my out of a huge shopping mall.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

31 minutes ago, nokat said:

I hope that's not true. They tend to show up around your waist. I had only three blisters show up on my waist and it was so painful.

You can get the shingles vax if you have had the shingles.  You can't get the shingles vax if you currently have an outbreak of shingles.  I wish mine had shown up on my waist!  Or really, anywhere except my face.  The entire right side of my head hurt to the touch, but I only had a few blisters at my temple.

• Useful 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I wish mine had shown up on my waist!  Or really, anywhere except my face.  The entire right side of my head hurt to the touch,

I'm sorry you had to go through that. My mom had them on her head and she went through so much pain.

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I had both shots a few years ago.  No reaction at all to the first shot.  I felt like my arm was broken after the second one.  It was sore for a few days.  As compared to my covid vaxx last week where I had trouble believing the needle had even gone into my arm.

I had the same experience.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

3 hours ago, nokat said:

I would go to this huge three story mall and spend all day there. Food court food.  I now have nightmares where I can't find my out of a huge shopping mall.

My anxiety dream (besides the school/I don't know my locker combo one) is I'm at some carnival and go with a friend into the funhouse - and I get stuck because I'm too damn fat. Encouragingly, I haven't had that dream since I started a serious weight-loss regime (pre-covid)..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My anxiety dream (besides the school/I don't know my locker combo one) is I'm at some carnival and go with a friend into the funhouse - and I get stuck because I'm too damn fat. Encouragingly, I haven't had that dream since I started a serious weight-loss regime (pre-covid)..

Do we ever get rid of the locker one? Or where to find a classroom? They do occur when I'm feeling stress.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, nokat said:

Do we ever get rid of the locker one? Or where to find a classroom? They do occur when I'm feeling stress.

I'm 72 and still have the locker dreams or can't find the classroom. Never thought these were somehow indigenous...

• Like 5

I personally can't recall ever having a "can't find the classroom"/"my way out of a store" type of dream. My recurring stress dream, as it were, involves me trying to crawl across a road-sometimes it's downtown, sometimes it's a rural road out in the countryside-and I'm crawling really slow and struggling to make it across in time before any cars or whatever drive by. And it always leaves me a bit tense afterward. Thankfully, at least, it's not a dream I have too often. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I have the one where I'm trying to run away from a bear (no idea why) and it's like running through molasses to get to my door.

• Like 4
  • Surprise 2

15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You can totally get it again.  Multiple times!  @Browncoat, I can sympathize because I had it on my face too, and could literally trace the path of my facial nerve by the blisters.  I walked into work and everyone took one look at me and said GO HOME.

It hurt like a motherfucker.

• Like 2

My high school dreams involve me not knowing where to park and/or not having a parking permit. I never drove to school in real life.

• Laugh 4

Sadly I can't go shopping at the mall because my city's mall was destroyed by a tornado a bit over a year ago. I guess I should be thankful that the Target at one end of it is still in operation. I miss the Auntie Anne's and Barnes & Noble, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Sadly I can't go shopping at the mall because my city's mall was destroyed by a tornado a bit over a year ago. I guess I should be thankful that the Target at one end of it is still in operation. I miss the Auntie Anne's and Barnes & Noble, though.

Yes, the pretzels! I miss browsing in bookstores. Cinnabons which I didn't like but the smell of cinnamon was nice. Orange Julius, back when they would add a raw egg.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, nokat said:

I have the one where I'm trying to run away from a bear (no idea why) and it's like running through molasses to get to my door.

I have that one too. I also have one where I'm working my old job at the paint store and I can't remember how to write an invoice or use the till.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm 72 and still have the locker dreams or can't find the classroom. Never thought these were somehow indigenous...

I have had the one where I can't remember where my classroom is and that it is exam time and I have no idea of the material, a bunch of times.

2 hours ago, nokat said:

Yes, the pretzels! I miss browsing in bookstores. Cinnabons which I didn't like but the smell of cinnamon was nice. Orange Julius, back when they would add a raw egg.

I love browsing in bookstores. I loved Borders, but they  are gone now.

• Like 6

I went to the pharmacy to get the shingles shot.  It is a lot more convenient than going to the doctor's office.  Still, it took me about 45 minutes to get my shot at the pharmacy, and I was the only one being waited on.

My arm is still sore, but that is about the only after affects that I have had from that first shot.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, susannah said:

I love browsing in bookstores. I loved Borders, but they  are gone now.

I haven’t been to our regional mall(Fingerlakes Mall  in Auburn, NY)since Waldenbooks went under, and it’s gone WAY down in recent years(the only national retailer left is Bass Pro Shops).

• Like 2