Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

Am I the only one who thinks Doug and Flo should start dating. they both think and breathe insurance 24/7.  Sure, it's different companies, but it could totally be a Romeo and Juliet thing.  They don't even have to worry about having kids because they have Limu Emu.

4 hours ago, eel21788 said:

P.S. Don't forget to give her treats when she does it right.

I give my cats treats when she's bad to get her to stop.  After 3 years, I'm beginning to think this is not a good strategy.

• Laugh 9

13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Am I the only one who thinks Doug and Flo should start dating. they both think and breathe insurance 24/7.  Sure, it's different companies, but it could totally be a Romeo and Juliet thing.  They don't even have to worry about having kids because they have Limu Emu.

I give my cats treats when she's bad to get her to stop.  After 3 years, I'm beginning to think this is not a good strategy.

😀 Probably works for the cat though!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

1 minute ago, susannah said:

😀 Probably works for the cat though!

Oh, definitely.  But sometimes I'm mean.  She's doing something bad.  I shake the treat bag so she'll come over and stop what she's doing. But, then I don't give her a treat.  I will admit that there are genuine reasons that she's plotting my murder

• Laugh 5

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Oh, definitely.  But sometimes I'm mean.  She's doing something bad.  I shake the treat bag so she'll come over and stop what she's doing. But, then I don't give her a treat.  I will admit that there are genuine reasons that she's plotting my murder

What is she doing that is bad? Don't worry, if she murdered you, she would never get any treats! You're safe.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

29 minutes ago, susannah said:

What is she doing that is bad? Don't worry, if she murdered you, she would never get any treats! You're safe.

Yeah but she might feast on your body for days!!! JK

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

10 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

30 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

YIKES!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I'm a dog lover in a thread of cat lovers, sigh, oh well. I'm allergic to cats, have been all my life and choose breathing over cats, so I've never been around them much and don't much care for them. 

I don't like cats. I'm not allergic; I just don't like them. I find their mannerisms and weird flexible bodies off-putting. If a cat tries to interact with me, I'll pet it or whatever, but if they never did, I wouldn't miss them.

I use period underwear, so I can probably answer any questions you might have. I use them for tampon backup and for overnights. I'd have to switch them out partway through the day if I only used them. A lot of companies that make reusable period products (cups, underwear, cloth pads) also sell waterproof pouches to keep used stuff in, but even if I didn't just prefer tampons in general, I wouldn't want to be carrying dirty underwear around all day and I wouldn't want to be changing my underwear in a public bathroom.

As someone mentioned in the other thread, you rinse them out before washing them. I'll either take them off in the shower and rinse them in there, or just rinse them in the sink. I don't see what's so scandalous about putting them in with your other laundry. Just because an item was saturated with something once doesn't mean you can't put it with your other laundry once the item has been rinsed (other than maybe something like oil). I do a better job rinsing than Vincent Vega, so there isn't any blood left on the underwear by the time it gets to the wash.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I made the mistake of keeping the cat treats on the same shelf as my meds. If he was in the room when I took my meds, I gave him a treat. Now he thinks he needs a treat whenever he hears me pick up a pill bottle, and he comes running from wherever he is in the house. He thinks he should be getting treats every six hours like clockwork. It does have its advantages though: if I forget to take my meds on time, he reminds me he is overdue for a treat.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 8

I used to grind my coffee beans just before I fed the cats. Thus they thought it was a "sign." (now they have an automatic feeder so I don't get awakened if I oversleep- which to them means 5:30am). I had a friend come by for lunch and I made some coffee. WOOSH came the cats a-running. They are very simple creatures.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

It is always an adventure popping into a thread where there is no discussion that is off limits.   I usually end up popping in when personal plumbing or feminine hygiene issues are being discussed.  I kind of wish there was an "everyone goes" thread, just so I could avoid the subjects altogether.

• Laugh 2

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I use period underwear, so I can probably answer any questions you might have. I use them for tampon backup and for overnights.

I think I'm going to get some for overnights; I'd heard about them awhile back, and have been contemplating it since I started seeing the commercial. 

I hate pads, but I can't count on waking up in time to change tampons overnight, so I wear a pad as well then as back-up.  It's reusable, since I'm creating enough waste with the tampons, but it's still a pad; I'm sure I'd like the period panties much better just for the lack of bulk.  (And I don't have any squeamishness about washing them, so that doesn't bother me.)  Thanks to you and @TattleTeeny for the review.

• Like 6

I have been watching a lot of women's college softball.  They are in the playoffs now.  It is really fun to watch.  My one gripe involved a game I was watching where the pitcher kept getting signs from the coach.  She would step off of the mound, look at the coach and get the sign, and then the pitcher would look on her wrist which had the decoder thing on it and then she would get back in the pitching circle and throw the pitch the coach wanted her to throw.  That went on for an entire game for every pitch thrown.  The pacing of that game just dragged.

Edited by icemiser69

I am watching the Michigan/Washington women's college softball game.  It looks like they are playing the game in a snow globe with all of the cotton covered seeds from the cottonwood trees floating around.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:11 PM, Katy M said:

I don't know if your avatar is your kitty, but I notice it is a brown tabby.  I have a brown tabby and have come to believe that they have a particular personality.  To put it nicely, they are imps (or demons, as the case may be), affectionate and demanding attention.  Loki comes marching to me to demand lap time and when he has his fill, leaves quickly.

I'll add that I am a dog person and a cat person.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I don't know if your avatar is your kitty, but I notice it is a brown tabby.  I have a brown tabby and have come to believe that they have a particular personality.  To put it nicely, they are imps (or demons, as the case may be), affectionate and demanding attention.  Loki comes marching to me to demand lap time and when he has his fill, leaves quickly.

I'll add that I am a dog person and a cat person.

yes, that is my cat, and yes she is totally possessed by something.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

yes, that is my cat, and yes she is totally possessed by something.

Yes, that is a brown tabby for you!

• Like 2

My cats don't get food treats. They're on diet kibble, so they don't need more calories. They get primo catnip for a treat.

I caught Bosco once playing with a vole. I picked him up & brought him inside and when I went back to check on the vole, it had died. It was definitely alive when Bosco & I left, but his lil heart probably couldn't take the drama. Stella, on the other hand, LOVES to catch chippies, squirrels, and cicadas and bring them into the house. Still alive. And then lets them go. I get the cicadas away from her with a Kleenex & toss 'em back outside. The one squirrel she brought me saw the front door open and headed for it and then flew off our porch & ran to the property line & through the chain link fence.  Chipmunks...not too bright. One did laps around the living room about 3 times before he noticed the door was open.  Others have hidden behind bookshelves.  I close all the doors to the rooms (and then discovered the doors are cut so high for air return & shag rug, the chippie fits under them.), block the exit on one end, start taking the books off the shelves and stand them up, slightly open with their spines on the top. I make a raceway with the books leading from the bookshelf to the open door, so there's nowhere else the chippie could run to but OUT. I start to move the shelf slowly away from the wall and the poor things start running and finally saves itself by getting out the door. Then I have to make sure he gets away cleanly beofre Stella catches him again.  I praise her a lot for bringing me such fun presents.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

3 hours ago, AnnA said:

Easter isn't a gift giving holiday except candy for children.

(From one of the threads)

I never got an Easter gift as a kid (I did decorate eggs and then hunt for them when I was little, but after I grew out of it Easter became basically a non-holiday since we only ever observed the secular bunny rabbit version), but then one year my family and that of a cousin I'd never met happened to both be at my great aunt and uncle's house on Easter because of a funeral.  He was younger, so the adults put on an egg hunt and I joined in but let him find most of them.  After that, he got a chocolate bunny, as was his family's tradition.  I was quite irritated this had never been my family tradition, so the next year my mom gave me a chocolate bunny.  Which she continues to do 40 years later, as a very tasty joking nod to my What?!  I was supposed to be getting a big hunk of chocolate all these years? revelation.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(From one of the threads)

I never got an Easter gift as a kid (I did decorate eggs and then hunt for them when I was little, but after I grew out of it Easter became basically a non-holiday since we only ever observed the secular bunny rabbit version), but then one year my family and that of a cousin I'd never met happened to both be at my great aunt and uncle's house on Easter because of a funeral.  He was younger, so the adults put on an egg hunt and I joined in but let him find most of them.  After that, he got a chocolate bunny, as was his family's tradition.  I was quite irritated this had never been my family tradition, so the next year my mom gave me a chocolate bunny.  Which she continues to do 40 years later, as a very tasty joking nod to my What?!  I was supposed to be getting a big hunk of chocolate all these years? revelation.

We always gave our son a chocolate bunny for Easter, as did my parents with me. I thought everyone did.

• Like 2

I got an Easter basket with easter eggs, a chocolate bunny and jelly beans.

Edited by AnnA
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, AnnA said:

when my kids were little they got basically that-- a basket with some candy. I'll never forget one easter we spent at my inlaws, along with my SIL and her kids (all kids were about 6 and under). HER idea of Easter was a MASSIVE amount of candy + TOYS + GAMES + CLOTHES. More or less Christmas. My kids were never terribly "acquisitive" and did not mention it, but it felt very awkward to my husband and me!

Like, why was the Easter Bunny so unfair!

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 3

4 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Same. And some of those little foil wrapped chocolate eggs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah!  I love those little chocolate eggs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dleighg said:

when my kids were little they got basically that-- a basket with some candy. I'll never forget one easter we spent at my inlaws, along with my SIL and her kids (all kids were about 6 and under). HER idea of Easter was a MASSIVE amount of candy + TOYS + GAMES + CLOTHES. More or less Christmas. My kids were never terribly "acquisitive" and did not mention it, but it felt very awkward to my husband and me!

Like, why was the Easter Bunny so unfair!

My SIL did that, too, but she'd also make a smaller basket for my kids with games & toys and candy, just not as big as the baskets for her kids.  They're all very close in age.

this year, my boys got chocolate.  Matter of fact, my youngest son just got his because he wasn't home for Easter.  😄

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We always gave our son a chocolate bunny for Easter, as did my parents with me. I thought everyone did.

Nope, although I have no idea how odd my parents were in not doing so.

It's clear why my dad wouldn't have grown up with that tradition (assuming chocolate bunnies even existed back then, I have no idea), as my dirt poor grandparents could have never afforded to buy all their umpteen kids chocolate.  My grandma was quite Baptist, so I'm sure to her it was just a religious holiday, but my grandpa put his foot down early on that no one, adult or child, would be dragged to church against their will, so I doubt the religious holiday was something anyone else signed up for, and the secular version was by financial limitation not really a thing.

I have no idea what my mom's non-religious parents did about the Easter Bunny version; there must have been an egg hunt since we did that when I was a kid and that had to come from somewhere, but I guess candy wasn't part of it.  I'll have to ask.  (I was going to say I'll ask this Easter, then had a vague memory of my chocolate bunny, and looked it up to see, yep, already happened last month.  Clearly Easter is not A Thing in my family.)

• Like 6

but my grandpa put his foot down early on that no one, adult or child, would be dragged to church against their will, 

Go grandpa!

• Like 7

On 5/20/2021 at 4:42 PM, eel21788 said:

As someone said above, texture and angel are both important. (The cat I had as a kid thought the stereo speakers were the ideal scratching post). Is the scratcher that is next to the cabinet the same texture as the cabinet leg? If not, replace it with one that has a similar surface. If so, you might want to try laying it on its side. I had one who liked horizontal surfaces, so leaving the scratcher on its side next to the bed stopped him from using the padded rails on my waterbed. You could also try wrapping the cabinet leg with something she does like to scratch, such as a strip of carpeting. Then she could keep using her favorite spot without doing any damage.

P.S. Don't forget to give her treats when she does it right.

Oh, she loves the scratching post, particularly sitting on top of it surveying her domain. :-)

I'll have to figure out how to make some of these suggestions work, because they definitely sound doable.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:00 PM, friendperidot said:

I'm a dog lover in a thread of cat lovers, sigh, oh well. I'm allergic to cats, have been all my life and choose breathing over cats,

I appreciate all pet lovers.  Breathing is pretty important, too.

• Like 5

On 5/21/2021 at 1:39 PM, janie jones said:

I don't see what's so scandalous about putting them in with your other laundry.

I don't think there's anything scandalous about it, I'm just squeamish.  I think when it comes to periods, everybody should just do what works for them.  So glad I haven't had to worry about it in a long time.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

In my family, we called those little chocolate footballs.  🙂

I send the grandnephews See's candies for Easter including chocolate bunnies, footballs and decorated chocolate Easter eggs.  I also send a few things to my 61 year old brother.  We had Easter baskets growing up and usually dyed eggs, although we didn't typically have an egg hunt.  It was more of an activity.  Also we would bring them to my great grandmother for her Polish Easter soup. 

One of the grandnephews really upset his grandparents (not the ones I am related toby blood) when he informed them that he didn't like their "god".  They are Jehovah's Witnesses and therefore do not celebrate birthdays or do any candy for Easter, etc.  The GN, who was all of five at the time, told them, "Your god doesn't like birthdays! Or Christmas presents! Or Easter candy! Or Halloween!  I don't like your god!  I'm keeping mine."  They were so upset.  Somehow they couldn't get that a five year old is making this decision on exactly what he stated.  He is not a deep theological thinker.  He did, however, enjoy candy and presents. 

• Like 7

I got curious about when chocolate bunnies became a thing. Here is what I was able to discover:

Chocolate bunnies were initially created in Germany in the mid-19th century.  They gained mass appeal in 1890 when American shop owner Robert Strohecker created a five-foot-tall chocolate bunny as an Easter promotion in his drug store.

Why Bunnies for Easter?

In medieval Europe the rabbit was a popular symbol for spring because of it’s fecundity.  A German legend said that after a long winter’s sleep an Easter bunny would lay bright-colored eggs in the grass for good children to find.

• Like 3

As a kid my parents usually got me a chocolate bunny, but I mostly grew out of my love for sweets. Except the eggs the Cadbury Bunny brings, those might as well be chocolate-covered crack!

• Like 4

Growing up my sister was allergic to chocolate so we got white chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and marshmallow eggs in our Easter baskets.  As we got older, we got Fannie Mae cream eggs along with the other goodies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skipnjump said:

Growing up my sister was allergic to chocolate so we got white chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and marshmallow eggs in our Easter baskets.  As we got older, we got Fannie Mae cream eggs along with the other goodies.

What a drag for her.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What a drag for her.

It was.  She had a lot of other allergies too.  :-(  They weren't horrible allergies that she needed an epi-pen but bad enough that she had to avoid lots of food items.

• Sad 1

My niece had an allergy to Red 40 (which she grew out of), and I was most bothered by the fact that she'd wouldn't be able to have strawberry Fanta.

• Laugh 3

There was a show back in the 70's called Emergency.  I never watched it back then, though I do think it influenced one of the neighbor kids to become an EMT and eventually a fireman. He watched it constantly.  I think it aired on Saturday nights on NBC if my memory is correct.

In any case, I have started dvring it since it airs on Cozi twice a day weekdays and twice on Saturdays. The show is interesting.  The one thing I have noticed is that doctor Brackett had a constant bee in his bonnet or bug up his ass.  He never seemed happy.

I am more of a DeSoto fan than a Gage fan.  Back in the day, I think Gage was the more popular character.  Chet was kind of a jerk at times, but Gage had his moments as well.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

There was a show back in the 70's called Emergency.  I never watched it back then, though I do think it influenced one of the neighbor kids to become an EMT and eventually a fireman. He watched it constantly.  I think it aired on Saturday nights on NBC if my memory is correct.

In any case, I have started dvring it since it airs on Cozi twice a day weekdays and twice on Saturdays. The show is interesting.  The one thing I have noticed is that doctor Brackett had a constant bee in his bonnet or bug up his ass.  He never seemed happy.

I am more of a DeSoto fan than a Gage fan.  Back in the day, I think Gage was the more popular character.  Chet was kind of a jerk at times, but Gage had his moments as well.  

Total Randolph Mantooth fan here.  John Gage was my guy.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

What was it with these series?  A pattern.

Dragnet:

Joe Friday, single.  Frank Gannon, married.

Adam 12:

Pete Malloy, single.  Jim Reed, married.

Emergency:

John Gage, single.  Roy DeSoto, married.

• Useful 2

I used to be a huge Emergency/ER fan, but after going through multiple emergency/er trips with my late DH I can't watch any if those shows any more. Way too painful...

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I watched Emergency regularly when it was on but I got a sense that the EMTs were kind of immature, with all their jokes, and Chet was the worst. I still remember the show where some kids had won a tour of the hospital and Gage was going to treat them like five year olds instead of intelligent children. I didn't really like the "Kel and Dix"  I liked Dr Brackett though, even if he was surly at times. I remember when the show came on, my grandfather would say, "Oh that's old Robert Fuller," and I had no idea how he would know. Now I know that he was in a Western show before Emergency. Now, comparing it to ER, Emergency seems almost cartoonish. I have seen Randolph Mantooth on tv since then and he is a very handsome man.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, susannah said:

I watched Emergency regularly when it was on but I got a sense that the EMTs were kind of immature, with all their jokes, and Chet was the worst.

Ed Wells (Gary Crosby) was a similar character on Adam 12.  Kind of an asshole. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I love Emergency! Gage was my guy back in the day but DeSoto is a more intellectually curious, less neurotic character. But damn, Randolph Mantooth is fine.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love Emergency! Gage was my guy back in the day but DeSoto is a more intellectually curious, less neurotic character. But damn, Randolph Mantooth is fine.

Every so often Gage had his inner Chet come out.  Moments where he acted like an ass.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Every so often Gage had his inner Chet come out.  Moments where he acted like an ass.

He could be really awful. I was watching an episode recently (it's on six days a week around here) and he was going on about how there were so few nurses at Rampart that he could date. I don't have the quote but he was bemoaning that there were too many "over twenty five, over 130 pounds, not cute enough". 

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/30/2021 at 3:20 PM, peacheslatour said:

He could be really awful. I was watching an episode recently (it's on six days a week around here) and he was going on about how there were so few nurses at Rampart that he could date. I don't have the quote but he was bemoaning that there were too many "over twenty five, over 130 pounds, not cute enough".

I am not surprised.  I don't blame the actor.  Actors and actresses have to read the lines they have been given unless they have creative control.  Still, I was a kid in that era, and even I knew enough not to say something snotty like that.  That's the type of thing that could get a lot of people to turn against that character.

Cozi has Emergency on six days a week.  A digital sub-channel.

The actor that played Chet (Tim Donelly) didn't have many acting credits after his run on Emergency.

Back to Cozi.  Cozi keeps running too many commercials for Roseanne and now it is getting more than a bit obnoxious.  I have never been a fan of that series.  I have nothing against it.  I just think that there needs to be more variety on that channel.  

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

The actor that played Chet (Tim Donelly) didn't have many acting credits after his run on Emergency.

Robert Fuller (Dr. Brackett) didn't do too much after the show either, which I found strange because I thought he was really good.

• Like 1

I probably should clarify my Roseanne comment.  It seems as though they air more commercials for Roseanne than for any other programs they air on that channel.  The commercials are more than a bit repetitive.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not surprised.  I don't blame the actor.  Actors and actresses have to read the lines they have been given unless they have creative control.  Still, I was a kid in that era, and even I knew enough not to say something snotty like that.  That's the type of thing that could get a lot of people to turn against that character

Now, yes. But Emergency was first on in the 70s, where diminishing and objectifying women was an accepted part of the culture.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, susannah said:

Now, yes. But Emergency was first on in the 70s, where diminishing and objectifying women was an accepted part of the culture.

They really addressed that on the show though. I remember when they were in San Francisco and there were women paramedics there. The women were fighting to be treated equally and the show did a great job of showing how competent they were.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They really addressed that on the show though. I remember when they were in San Francisco and there were women paramedics there. The women were fighting to be treated equally and the show did a great job of showing how competent they were.

Agree, and that show is hugely dated when looking through the current lens.  I was obsessed with this show as a pre-teen, (Randy Mantooth sure helped with that) and recall that paramedics were not a 'thing' back then.  The idea of having paramedics was completely novel and the show has been credited with elevating the program nationally.  It was pretty groundbreaking 50 years ago.  Shit.  Can it really be 50 fucking years ago??????

• Like 6