Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

Not much chance of the typical Match Game panel of the 70s even knowing who Ace Frehley was. 🤣

Edited by smittykins
  • Laugh 4

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Not much chance of the typical Match Game panel of the 70s even knowing who Ace Frehley was. 🤣

Probably not. I was in high school in the seventies so I knew who all the rockers were.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

*hangs head in shame and embarrassment*

I was coloring my hair in the shower and the drain clogged. I now have a brown ring circling my bathtub. I'm afraid to have a plumber over due to COVID and I have a case of the lazys mixed with fatigue from taking post-cancer medication, so ...

I’m guessing you’ve already tried all the DIY stuff (for unclogging the drain), right? Boiling water, baking soda/vinegar, plunger, drain snake, Drain-o…? In more or less that order? 

Anyway, once things are resolved, I’m putting in a plug for this stuff called Wet and Forgot for showers (for cleaning/keeping it clean). You basically spray it on your tub/shower once a week after a shower, and rinse it off the next day before the next shower. It may take a few weeks, but it seems to cut through anything, with no manual labor involved. I swear they’re not paying me, I just wish I’d discovered it sooner. 

Edited by SoMuchTV · Reason: editing to clarify which suggestion was for the clog & which was for cleaning.
  • Useful 4

https://www.lorealparisusa.com/beauty-magazine/hair-color/hair-color-application/hair-dye-stains-bathroom.aspx

This tells you how to get hair color out of tubs.  However, don't use bleach if you have a a septic tank.    I'm not sure I would do the acetone, depending on the tub material, it might hurt the finish.   

So, we don't need a fancy cleaner, for everything, contrary to what the commercials tell you. 

Or the British way:

https://www.bathroomcity.co.uk/blog/how-clean-hair-dye-stains-different-bathroom-surfaces

I would try the baking soda/vinegar paste first. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Since it was the seventies I would have said Frehley. Even though I hated Kiss. No big money for me.

Same here.  I would have said Ace Frehley or Ace Ventura.  I'm a big rock fan, but I never took KISS seriously, to me they were sort of a joke. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Same here.  I would have said Ace Frehley or Ace Ventura*.  I'm a big rock fan, but I never took KISS seriously, to me they were sort of a joke. 

* But not in the 70s, obviously.

• Like 1

Actually, now that I think about it, there was a question(either in the later years of the CBS run or on the daily syndicated version)that went “Some things just don’t make sense.  I just saw an album called ‘Lawrence Welk’s Greatest Hits as Performed By _________.’”

And Marcia Wallace said “KISS.”

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

3 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Actually, now that I think about it, there was a question(either in the later years of the CBS run or on the daily syndicated version)that went “Some things just don’t make sense.  I just saw an album called ‘Lawrence Welk’s Greatest Hits as Performed By _________.’”

And Marcia Wallace said “KISS.”

image.png.a9ed0d360c9635fac9b1f77e90ac38ac.png

• Laugh 4

20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This commercial disgusts me.  Granny shouldn't be eating off of another persons plate.  Any person that starts eating off my plate will get a fork in their hand.

When I worked at a large law firm, one of the secretaries was a grumpy old woman named Eleanor. Another one (Karen) was one of those who liked to sample other folks' food. One day, Karen reached over to take a bite off Eleanor's plate and Eleanor did, indeed, stab Karen with her (plastic) fork, saying, "Keep your damn hands off my food."  Karen made sure she never went into the break room if Eleanor was in there after that.  And, yes, her name really was Karen.

ETA: As mockable as that Pat Boone album was, it was the first time I ever understood all the lyrics to Smoke on the Water.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6
  • Surprise 1

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I worked at a large law firm, one of the secretaries was a grumpy old woman named Eleanor.

Was she, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door?

Edited by icemiser69
  • Laugh 8

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

image.png.a9ed0d360c9635fac9b1f77e90ac38ac.png

It's available on youtube for your hearing displeasure.  Pat's really rocking out on Enter Sandman.  The horn section really makes the song metal.  😁 

• Laugh 7

1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

It's available on youtube for your hearing displeasure.  Pat's really rocking out on Enter Sandman.  The horn section really makes the song metal.  😁 

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! I recommend "Paradise City" and "Stairway to Heaven". Lounge lizard meets big band doing metal covers. I can't breathe right now.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I worked at a large law firm, one of the secretaries was a grumpy old woman named Eleanor. Another one (Karen) was one of those who liked to sample other folks' food. One day, Karen reached over to take a bite off Eleanor's plate and Eleanor did, indeed, stab Karen with her (plastic) fork, saying, "Keep your damn hands off my food."  Karen made sure she never went into the break room if Eleanor was in there after that.  And, yes, her name really was Karen.

I wonder what made Karen think that she could just take a bite off of another person's plate?  Granted, Eleanor's reaction was a bit extreme, but I think most people would have a serious problem if someone attempted to eat off of their plate without asking.

I put Karen in a similar category to those who hug without asking first.  That is fine if those involved in the hug know each other really well.  I am just not a fan of anyone violating another person's personal space.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I wonder what made Karen think that she could just take a bite off of another person's plate?  Granted, Eleanor's reaction was a bit extreme, but I think most people would have a serious problem if someone attempted to eat off of their plate without asking.

I put Karen in a similar category to those who hug without asking first.  That is fine if those involved in the hug know each other really well.  I am just not a fan of anyone violating another person's personal space.

Even worse, people who force little kids to hug and kiss people when they don't want to. Consent is a thing, even if you're small.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Eleanor wasn't a fan either. No one understood why Karen was like that, but she did that to almost everyone who had a plate of food. If it was just a sandwich, she'd leave it alone, but if you had grapes with your sandwich, expect Karen to attempt to eat a grape of two.  I think Eleanor reacted the way she did because she finally got fed up and was the only one with guts enough to put Karen in her place.  I always went out to eat. I was in the building more hours than I wanted to be, so going out to eat was a lovely respite.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just don’t get having a TV on an exercise bike that shows beautiful scenery.  Seriously, do people really think they’re biking in the Alps?  I just put my butt on the seat and peddle.  

When I'm on my Road Trips, I love to take pictures of paths or roads lined with trees that go off into the distance, implying unknown adventures ahead.  It's been my fantasy (when I win LOTTO) to have a room in the house dedicated to exercising with murals of these roads on all four walls so I could pretend I'm biking on the Natchez Trace or on some woodland trail - and I'd pretend I have the stamina to do that!  And not think about doing dreary exercise.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

29 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Eleanor wasn't a fan either. No one understood why Karen was like that, but she did that to almost everyone who had a plate of food. If it was just a sandwich, she'd leave it alone, but if you had grapes with your sandwich, expect Karen to attempt to eat a grape of two.  I think Eleanor reacted the way she did because she finally got fed up and was the only one with guts enough to put Karen in her place.  I always went out to eat. I was in the building more hours than I wanted to be, so going out to eat was a lovely respite.

I blame the parents.  I know I have mentioned it before.  A few houses down from where I grew up lived this really huge family.   It was a lot of fun hanging out there, but they did a lot of gross things.  Open a carton of ice cream and having multiple family members dive in with a spoon eating out of the carton all at the same time and putting the spoon back into the carton to get more..  One of the kids (in his late teens early twenties) used to bite into chocolates from a mixed box, and if he didn't like it, he would put the drooly piece back into the box.   It gets far worse than that, but I won't get into it. 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 3

39 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Open a carton of ice cream and having multiple family members dive in with a spoon eating out of the carton all at the same time and putting the spoon back into the carton to get more..

That's not unusual within a family, but you have to teach the kids that it's fine at home, but you can't go do that at someone else's house.  Were they like that everywhere?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's not unusual within a family, but you have to teach the kids that it's fine at home, but you can't go do that at someone else's house.  Were they like that everywhere?

I guess it depends of the culture and breeding of the family.  Neither sides of my family (two different European-heritage first generation Americans and immigrant parents, grandparents) would do that.  Just regular middle class John Q. Public types with varying degrees of education including some higher education.

It sounds gross and unsanitary to me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's been my fantasy (when I win LOTTO) to have a room in the house dedicated to exercising with murals of these roads on all four walls so I could pretend I'm biking on the Natchez Trace or on some woodland trail - and I'd pretend I have the stamina to do that!  And not think about doing dreary exercise

I have a different brand elliptical, and for a yearly fee I can have google street view scenes of pretty much anywhere in the world. You can draw your own route or use of zillions of curated routes. They don't fool anyone, and I'm always watching some TV on my ipad at the same time, but it adds a bit of interest to see somewhere else in the world as I'm using it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I guess it depends of the culture and breeding of the family. 

It has nothing to do with breeding, just any given family's stance towards germs (which can definitely be influenced by culture, yes). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It has nothing to do with breeding, just any given family's stance towards germs (which can definitely be influenced by culture, yes). 

image.png.4c164d7d9e97e3b054a07afb5389c078.png

"It's like you're putting your whole mouth right in the dip. From now on just take one bite and end it!"

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

It sounds gross and unsanitary to me.

It is gross and unsanitary.   I can't imagine anyone doing that.  It's like drinking straight from the container of milk or juice.  It's disgusting.    

Edited by AnnA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't know.   That was the same family that had one of the sons chewing a hamburger and  open mouthed kissing his girlfriend.  The hamburger was no longer in his mouth or any other part of his body.  The chewed burger ended up in her mouth, which she promptly swallowed.   As I said, it gets worse.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 6

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know.   That was the same family that had one of the sons chewing a hamburger and  open mouthed kissing his girlfriend.  The hamburger was no longer in his mouth or any other part of his body.  The chewed burger ended up in her mouth, which she promptly swallowed.   As I said, it gets worse.

Eww!

Were these people raised by wolves?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

One of the kids (in his late teens early twenties) used to bite into chocolates from a mixed box, and if he didn't like it, he would put the drooly piece back into the box.

My grandmother wasn't quite THAT bad, but she would squish chocolates with her fingers to see what the insides were like (she had dentures that couldn't handle chewy stuff well), and put the rejected ones back in the box. No one wanted her squished caramels and nougats afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 2

My brother would take one of those two layer sampler candy boxes, and shove his thumb through the bottom of every piece, eat the few he wanted, and put the rest back.   The worst part is that brand came with a chart, saying what each candy had inside.    

• Sad 6

The way around the squished chocolates: prick the bottom with a pin, making a sort of perforation. Pry the bottom off. Get digusted with the damn jelly inside. Place the bottom back in place, run it over a warm iron to seal up the pinholes.

Or just get a Whitman's Sampler that has the map printed on the inside of the lid.

ETA: Now I want a Whitman's Sampler...

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

32 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The way around the squished chocolates: prick the bottom with a pin, making a sort of perforation. Pry the bottom off. Get digusted with the damn jelly inside. Place the bottom back in place, run it over a warm iron to seal up the pinholes.

Or just get a Whitman's Sampler that has the map printed on the inside of the lid.

ETA: Now I want a Whitman's Sampler...

I hate those stupid jellies. They're just filler to make box seem bigger and justify a fancy price. I like to buy truffles only because it's aaaalll good.

• Like 2

I like to double dip. However I don't do it with any shared dip. I put some in a small dish and double dip to my heart's content.

• Like 6

On 5/9/2021 at 7:49 AM, icemiser69 said:

Same. In fact, one of the perks of COVID is that I no longer have to hug random acquaintances simply because they've barreled at me and I don't want to offend anyone.

On the subject of chocolate - one Valentine's Day when I was a child, my father gifted my mother a box of dark chocolate.

He was the only person in the family who liked that kind.

• Laugh 9

1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I like to double dip. However I don't do it with any shared dip. I put some in a small dish and double dip to my heart's content.

I'll double dip if I'm sharing with my husband. But we french kiss, so it doesn't seem realistic to be worried about double-dipping.

Once some friends and I finished off a pie by eating directly from it (we each had our own forks). I feel like some of you would have been repulsed by that.

What are your feelings on things like hot pot or fondue?

• Like 1

Don't all the pieces of food go into those fresh a single time? I would hope no one's dipping anything back in after taking a bite!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Don't all the pieces of food go into those fresh a single time? I would hope no one's dipping anything back in after taking a bite!

You'd think but I've seen people double dipping at parties. Yuck.

11 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

You're typically using the same utensil for eating and for putting pieces in the pot.

18 hours ago, janie jones said:

Once some friends and I finished off a pie by eating directly from it (we each had our own forks).

That's totally routine to me.  And if two of us are sitting on the couch eating ice cream during movie night, it's just two spoons and the carton of ice cream.

18 hours ago, janie jones said:

That now I'm hungry!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

I wish the Melting Pot in Memphis hadn't closed down, I'd really like to eat there some weekend.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, janie jones said:

I'll double dip if I'm sharing with my husband. But we french kiss, so it doesn't seem realistic to be worried about double-dipping.

Once some friends and I finished off a pie by eating directly from it (we each had our own forks). I feel like some of you would have been repulsed by that.

Hi Janie! I have shared food with friends from one dish, with each of us having our own utensils. Not a problem. I have never had fondue so don't know the proper etiquette for dipping and eating but I would think you would dip only what you can eat in one bite, unless you are the only one eating.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, susannah said:

Hi Janie! I have shared food with friends from one dish, with each of us having our own utensils. Not a problem. I have never had fondue so don't know the proper etiquette for dipping and eating but I would think you would dip only what you can eat in one bite, unless you are the only one eating.

I have but it was only steak and the oil was bubbling hot. You use these long, skinny forks and you dip the meat, put it on your plate and use a knife and fork to eat it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I have but it was only steak and the oil was bubbling hot. You use these long, skinny forks and you dip the meat, put it on your plate and use a knife and fork to eat it.

There is nothing unsanitary about that. I thought maybe posters were referring to dipping, eating off the fork and dipping again. I think the way they actually do it, as you said, with plates and utensils, is much more civilized and much less messy.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, we went to a restaurant where a pot of melted cheese and a bowl of bread cubes were placed on the table, along with some sticks so we could skewer the bread and dip it into the cheese while we waited for our food.  Didn't even occur to me at the time that it might be unsanitary, the only thing I remember about it was that my father got annoyed with us kids for eating too many cheesy bread cubes and we wouldn't want to eat our dinner.  (He was right, we kids just poked at the food and we had to take most of it home to eat later).  The cheese pot and the leftover bread cubes, were taken away when the meal was served, and now I wonder how much of what we had at the table had also been served to other customers before us.

Later on, we kids would enter the house after getting off the school bus to find my mom sitting at the kitchen lunch counter reading the paper or working a crossword puzzle.  This was not unsual, but once in a while we'd find Mom had put out the fondue pot along with a package of chocolate chips and a package of mini marshmellows.  While the chocolate melted, we'd put up our school stuff and get ready.  Mom would divide the marshmellows into bowls so no one got more than anyone else and we'd sit around and dip the marshmellows in the chocolate.  We were supposed to dip our mellows in the chocolate and then use the rim of the bowl to slide the mellow off the stick, then pick up the mellow and eat it.  It didn't last long and soon we were all just dipping and using our teeth to slide the marshmellow off into our mouths.  

When the marshmellows were all eaten, Mom would pour the chocolate onto the marble slab she used to make peanut brittle and hard candy.  As it cooled, she'd cut the chocolate into tiny squares, to be saved for the next time we made chocolate chip cookies.  I guess the heat from the melting kept us from passing illness to each other, but how would we know?  There were 7 people living there, and we were always passing colds and stuff around.  Back then it was just the way it was.  But we never got sick from eating undercooked meat or bad handling of salad makings, Mom was militant about hand washing when handling raw food.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

When I was a kid, we went to a restaurant where a pot of melted cheese and a bowl of bread cubes were placed on the table, along with some sticks so we could skewer the bread and dip it into the cheese while we waited for our food.  Didn't even occur to me at the time that it might be unsanitary, the only thing I remember about it was that my father got annoyed with us kids for eating too many cheesy bread cubes and we wouldn't want to eat our dinner.  (He was right, we kids just poked at the food and we had to take most of it home to eat later).  The cheese pot and the leftover bread cubes, were taken away when the meal was served, and now I wonder how much of what we had at the table had also been served to other customers before us.

Later on, we kids would enter the house after getting off the school bus to find my mom sitting at the kitchen lunch counter reading the paper or working a crossword puzzle.  This was not unsual, but once in a while we'd find Mom had put out the fondue pot along with a package of chocolate chips and a package of mini marshmellows.  While the chocolate melted, we'd put up our school stuff and get ready.  Mom would divide the marshmellows into bowls so no one got more than anyone else and we'd sit around and dip the marshmellows in the chocolate.  We were supposed to dip our mellows in the chocolate and then use the rim of the bowl to slide the mellow off the stick, then pick up the mellow and eat it.  It didn't last long and soon we were all just dipping and using our teeth to slide the marshmellow off into our mouths.  

When the marshmellows were all eaten, Mom would pour the chocolate onto the marble slab she used to make peanut brittle and hard candy.  As it cooled, she'd cut the chocolate into tiny squares, to be saved for the next time we made chocolate chip cookies.  I guess the heat from the melting kept us from passing illness to each other, but how would we know?  There were 7 people living there, and we were always passing colds and stuff around.  Back then it was just the way it was.  But we never got sick from eating undercooked meat or bad handling of salad makings, Mom was militant about hand washing when handling raw food.

It was probably okay. We know a lot more about "bubbles" now.

5 hours ago, Zahdii said:

When I was a kid, we went to a restaurant where a pot of melted cheese and a bowl of bread cubes were placed on the table, along with some sticks so we could skewer the bread and dip it into the cheese while we waited for our food.  Didn't even occur to me at the time that it might be unsanitary, the only thing I remember about it was that my father got annoyed with us kids for eating too many cheesy bread cubes and we wouldn't want to eat our dinner.  (He was right, we kids just poked at the food and we had to take most of it home to eat later).

As a frugal parent, that would be my dream family meal out!  Fill the kids up on the freebies, then take home another full meal!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 7

5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

As a frugal parent, that would be my dream family meal out!  Fill the kids up on the freebies, then take home another full meal!

Oh yeah! That would have worked for me!! 🙂

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 9:28 PM, friendperidot said:

If no dish available I break the chips in half before dipping. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

My friend's ex used to order an entree that came with bottomless fries, fill up on fries, and then take the entree home for later.

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 5

22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I keep seeing the Dominos/Nuro commercial, and they are only using the driverless delivery in Houston. 

Is that true?  they're doing nationwide spots for something only offered in one city?  I've seen those commercials in New England and you can't get further away from Houston than that.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Is that true?  they're doing nationwide spots for something only offered in one city?  I've seen those commercials in New England and you can't get further away from Houston than that.

Unless you're at my house in Seattle.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I'm getting the ad here too in MT, no Domino's any where near me!

• Like 1