Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

15 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If knuckles491 is commuting in Boston, working on a bomb disposal squad would be a nerve-soothing relief in comparison.

A couple years ago I went up to Boston for a family thing.  We rented a car and I got to be the one to drive.  Holy shit, those Massholes do not know how to drive.  I had to drive from Logan down to the suburb we were staying in, and I was shocked to look in my rearview mirror and seeing cars whipping down on the shoulder like it was nothing.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

A couple years ago I went up to Boston for a family thing.  We rented a car and I got to be the one to drive.  Holy shit, those Massholes do not know how to drive.  I had to drive from Logan down to the suburb we were staying in, and I was shocked to look in my rearview mirror and seeing cars whipping down on the shoulder like it was nothing.

It's much saner in Western Mass.

• Useful 2

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

A couple years ago I went up to Boston for a family thing.  We rented a car and I got to be the one to drive.  Holy shit, those Massholes do not know how to drive. 

My cousins from Connecticut will swear to this.  Having said that, my apologies to the Bostonians I may have cut off when I apparently ran a red light the only time I tried to drive there, but in my defense, I have never seen streets set up like that before. I think there were about 8 intersecting streets at one convergence and the set of lights that I thought was mine, wasn't.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 2

My mom had issues with her flip phone several years ago, and Tracfone replaced it with a cheap smartphone. She. Hates. It.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If you could change one thing about yourself, just one thing, what would it be?

I could never limit it to one thing, I'm a mess.  But if I had to limit it to one thing, it would be to find a better way to deal with my anxiety.  I stress out easily.  Really it doesn't take much, and when that happens I turn to food.  And when I turn to food it is usually something super unhealthy.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If you could change one thing about yourself, just one thing, what would it be?

I could never limit it to one thing, I'm a mess.  But if I had to limit it to one thing, it would be to find a better way to deal with my anxiety.  I stress out easily.  Really it doesn't take much, and when that happens I turn to food.  And when I turn to food it is usually something super unhealthy.

I wish I could be more sensitive. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, SweetieDarling said:

I'm going to go with the assumption that you don't work retail.

and

18 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If knuckles491 is commuting in Boston, working on a bomb disposal squad would be a nerve-soothing relief in comparison.

Ugh, I hated retail. 

I had to cut those pull down shades for customers and they couldn't measure for shit.  Customers would come in with measurements.  I would cut them to the exact measurement, and then they would comeback saying they were either too long or too short.

Bringing in carts with wobbly wheels, trying to move them through the ice and snow wasn't the least bit fun.

And of course there were very few employees to cover the floor for the entire store.  Usually just me and one other person.  When I am cutting shades, I can't be answering price checks and helping someone in the toy department all at the same time.

They tried putting me on the register, and I absolutely fell apart.  Picture Cindy Brady on a quiz show.  There is no way Baton Rouge was ever going to come flying out of my pie hole.

Edited by icemiser69 · Reason: multi quote function issues.
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ignore the quote box. I don't understand why you can't delet it when you change your mind.

You're supposed to be able to delete it. Are you highlighting and deleting the text inside the box, or trying to delete the box. As in, have you tried putting your cursor after the box, and then hitting backspace?

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

(I am certain I would not have liked the first employee even if he'd deigned to help me, but the second was such a delight I emailed the company to sing her praises).

I don't think he was avoiding helping you. A lot of cell phone stores have a greeter who asks you what you're there for and sends you to one of the salespeople. They're basically like restaurant hosts/hostesses.

I've driven all up and down the west coast, where drivers have a reputation for being awful, but the worst drivers I've encountered were in the Boston area. I've heard that traffic is supposedly awful in New Jersey, but the six weeks I spent working in Jersey were the least stressful commutes of my life. I never drove in the New York area, though, and I'd imagine the traffic is worse the closer you get to NYC.

They tried putting me on the register, and I absolutely fell apart.  Picture Cindy Brady on a quiz show.  There is no way Baton Rouge was ever going to come flying out of my pie hole.

This is why people shouldn't say that retail work isn't skilled labor. They might be soft skills, but you still need skills.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 8

Just now, icemiser69 said:

Ugh, I hated retail. 

I had to cut those pull down shades for customers and they couldn't measure for shit.  Customers would come in with measurements.  I would cut them to the exact measurement, and then they would comeback saying they were either too long or too short.

Bringing in carts with wobbly wheels, trying to move them through the ice and snow wasn't the least bit fun.

And of course there were very few employees to cover the floor for the entire store.  Usually just me and one other person.  When I am cutting shades, I can't be answering price checks and helping someone in the toy department all at the same time.

I sold those blinds and you are absolutely right. People are shit with measurements. I also sold wallpaper. We'd get engineers who measured the room in inches. That is not how wallpaper works.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

16 minutes ago, janie jones said:

This is why people shouldn't say that retail work isn't skilled labor. They might be soft skills, but you still need skills.

I couldn't cope with the pressure (anxiety) of running a register.  I choke under pressure.  It doesn't help that I don't like being the center of attention.

I had no problem cutting shades, some of my fellow employees who tried to cut shades couldn't get the measurements right. 

Back in the day when I worked retail, employees running register had to be very accurate.  I don't know what has happened since then.  When I go to the grocery store and check me cash register receipt afterwards, I have noticed quite a few mistakes, and not in my favor.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4

I will grudgingly drive in Atlanta, Washington D.C., and even New Orleans if necessary; I refuse to drive in Boston. Once was enough for this lifetime.

I like my smart phone now, but I hated having to give up my flip phone after my dad's last hospital stay proved how impractical it was becoming. That thing must have been made out of adamantium as many times as I dropped it on concrete or rock with no damage!

• Like 2

If you want to encounter shitty drivers, come to Ontario.  Nobody seems to understand, 'keep right except to pass' and that the middle lane of a 3 lane highway is not the cruising lane.  I drove to visit relatives in Connecticut last year.  2 hours to the border, then 8 hours of NY, Mass and Connecticut.  By far the most stressful part of the drive was the 2 hours home after I had crossed the border back into Canada.  If the speed limit is 100 km/h, you are not supposed to be in the passing lane just because you are doing 105 unless everyone else is going slower.  You are not the police and don't get to regulate everyone else's speed.  Just get the hell out of their (my) way and if we're going to crash for going too fast, at least you won't be there to see it, but if there is a crash because someone doing 110 had to go to the slow lane to get around you, that is your fault even though they were technically speeding.  I will say one thing about NY drivers, they understand.  They signal, pull over, pass, then get back into the other lane.  If you come up on someone who forgot to get back in their lane, they immediately do so and give you a little 'sorry' as you drive by them.

• Like 2

My mom took a trip to Boston once for some school thing when she was younger and she remembers the drivers there being crazy, too. 

And speaking of my mom...

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

...she worked at a Pier 1 over a decade ago, and she had to deal with this problem with customers as well. They'd come in and buy some piece of furniture only to find out, when she brought it out to their car, that it didn't fit. Now, I'm no whiz with numbers and measurements, but I do know that if I have a big piece of furniture, like a couch, and a tiny car, then yeah, that's gonna be a problem if I want to cart that home :p. 

Either that, or the piece of furniture would fit in the customer's car...if they would just remove the other junk they have in their. We lived in Colorado at the time, so there were a lot of customers who had their skis stashed in the back of their cars. 

Ha, I remember dealing with that when I worked at a library. We had one cart that had a busted wheel, so whenever I'd bring the books in from the book drop, you'd hear the cart screeching and scraping across the floor. And the more the cart was weighed down with books, the more noticeable the sound.

And yes, that one was a pain to deal with in the winter, too :p. 

Oh, god, yes. And I swear customers have some kind of sixth sense about when the store will be light on employees, because it always seems the moment it's just you and one other person, that's the time the phone decides to start ringing off the hook and the customers start flooding into the store and you've got to try and deal with someone on the phone and someone at the counter and you need to still shelve these items and...yeah. It's a lot to deal with, for sure. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 4

Many years ago, when I took a road trip to New England, I drove around Boston, stayed in Salem, and took the train back into Boston. 

• Like 3

I drove around Boston on my Maine Road Trip. It was the only time in the entire three weeks I actually cried while driving. It was just too much.

As far as signalling to change lanes - in Georgia, the other drivers consider it a challenge, not an alert. They try very hard not to let you move over.

I love Lockdown. In 2020, I bought gas in February and August - and I'm still running on that August gas.  Although, I do miss my Road Trips.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love Lockdown. In 2020, I bought gas in February and August - and I'm still running on that August gas.  Although, I do miss my Road Trips.

Sometimes I go for a drive because I have to get out of the house.  I'm in my car, alone with no mask and I just drive around.  Anyone with a problem with that can kiss my a**.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Sometimes I go for a drive because I have to get out of the house.  I'm in my car, alone with no mask and I just drive around.  Anyone with a problem with that can kiss my a**.

I don't see why anyone should or would have a problem with that.  My car is presently parked inside my garage, with a dead battery.  I have to get AAA to come out to charge my battery (again, this happened before because of lockdown/nowhere to go) and I keep putting it off.  I'll have to invent road trips to keep my battery charged even if it's a 20-minute drive around town.  Because of other reasons, I pretty much hate driving now that I'm older.  I can drive like a little old lady when I have to, but regular driving drives me crazy with all the traffic and idiots on the road.  And I'm in Southern California, not Boston!

I find it stressful and not like going out for a drive used to be.

Edited by CrystalBlue · Reason: Added finishing sentence.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I don't see why anyone should or would have a problem with that.  My car is presently parked inside my garage, with a dead battery.  I have to get AAA to come out to charge my battery (again, this happened before because of lockdown/nowhere to go) and I keep putting it off.  I'll have to invent road trips to keep my battery charged even if it's a 20-minute drive around town.  Because of other reasons, I pretty much hate driving now that I'm older.  I can drive like a little old lady when I have to, but regular driving drives me crazy with all the traffic and idiots on the road.  And I'm in Southern California, not Boston!

I find it stressful and not like going out for a drive used to be.

I haven't been able to stand driving on the freeway since the late nineties. I'm the queen of the back road.

• Like 4

I love backroad driving and try to avoid the large highways whenever possible at least during the daylight hours.  A couple of backroad trips home at dusk/dark did make me think twice about it though.  First, I passed a guy who apparently had a problem with that, who passed me then spent the next few kilometres slowing down until I was almost stopped, then speeding up when I tried to pass.  It was scary and there was nobody around.  I think he eventually got bored and moved on.  Then another time I fortunately caught sight of a deer in the field before it ran out on the road in front of me.  So, I take the backroads but only during the day.

• Like 5

I learned to drive in Boston.  I'll take Boston over Connecticut drives any day of the week.  They're slow, crazy drivers with too many left exits for my taste on the highway.  I live in northern VT now, and so I no longer have long commutes to work, and I don't miss it, but I don't mind driving in Boston.  

On 4/15/2021 at 11:24 AM, Katy M said:

I was shocked to look in my rearview mirror and seeing cars whipping down on the shoulder like it was nothing.

Certain highways and certain times of days, the shoulder is a legal lane in which to drive.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 3

I live in lower Alabama, on one of the major hurricane evacuation routes from the Panhandle.    Everyone who lives in this area knows that when there's a big evacuation ordered, that if you see a banged up car, Florida plates, and the car is swaying all over the road, that you stay away from them.     A lot of those drivers don't drive very much, and the cars aren't well maintained, you can tell they've been in numerous accidents too.    Scary.  

The worst drivers I've ever seen have been around Boston, and the D.C. area.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Being from Los Angeles, I thought all the talk about Boston traffic/drivers was overblown - until the first time I drove there; it's kind of exaggerated, but it's also kind of true.  I did fine each of the several times I was there, but I understand how it got the reputation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Jeopardy! forum has the edit function. But it's not here.  :-(

OMG, you're right.

Edited by peacheslatour · Reason: Wait, I guess it does.

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Jeopardy! forum has the edit function. But it's not here.  :-(

I'll take Houston we have a problem for $400.00, Alex.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:55 PM, susannah said:

This reminds me of the ads that showed kids practically big enough for first grade, hiking, riding the carousel by themselves, etc with stupid pacifiers in their mouths. Also, a different one, for Skittles, that was sickening is when the guy's face is covered with them like chicken pox and a girl picks one off and eats it. I hope the person that thought that one up was fired. Ads are supposed to make you want to buy the product, not throw up!

I can't watch anything where someone is eating something off of another person's face.   I can't even watch someone who gets hit with a pie in the face, and then wipes it of of their own face and then eats it.

Not quite the same, but there was that time back in the day when one of the old neighbor siblings was dating someone and they would open mouth kiss with food in their mouths transferring it from one to the other via mouth via open mouth kiss and then swallowing it.

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I'll take Houston we have a problem for $400.00, Alex.

I can't watch anything where someone is eating something off of another person's face.   I can't even watch someone who gets hit with a pie in the face, and then wipes it of of their own face and then eats it.

Not quite the same, but there was that time back in the day when one of the old neighbor siblings was dating someone and they would open mouth kiss with food in their mouths transferring it from one to the other via mouth via open mouth kiss and then swallowing it.

YUCK!!!!!!!   🤢

• Like 3

I bought my cell phone in 2008 when my family insisted because I was driving 250 miles to my high school reunion. I started with one that the keypad kind of pulled out from the bottom of the phone, moved to one that had a keypad and screen on one piece with a keyboard that pulled out of the side. After my nephew had it and got in a fight with the neighbor kids and dropped it and they brought it home, smashed with a hammer and left it on my porch, I went to a $15 flip phone. I've replaced this one about 3 times, one time the dog chewed it up, one time my nephew had a fight with a friend and the friend threw it against the wall. The one I'm currently using has a big dog bite out of the keypad area from my pit bull. It's a little hard to adjust the volume of the ringer, but otherwise it's fine. I have cataracts, can't see and I won't know for another month or so if I will be able to get surgery, depends on where my breast cancer stands, if I'll even be able to do it. I was just diagnosed about a month ago, I've taken this month to make some unpopular decisions, but now I'm ready to find out what kind it is, how big it is, what stage it is before I tell the doctors I am not going to undergo treatment. I'm 70, I'm opting for quality of life over quantity. And my nephew has been banned from using my phone for several years now. He's also banned from being around me. I have 3 1/2 years left on the Protective Order, I just hope I have 3 1/2 years.

• Sad 13

Not going to lie, I miss the phones with the physical keyboard.  I always texted more accurately with them.

• Like 6

On 4/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, smittykins said:

Not going to lie, I miss the phones with the physical keyboard.  I always texted more accurately with them.

And faster. You have to be more precise on touch screens, and it slows you down.

• Like 4

I've never had a cell phone of any kind, the 20 year old land line thing hanging on the kitchen wall is sufficient to my needs.  What's more, just today, I put all my throw pillows on the top shelf of the closet and took down the light colored spring and summer ones.

Feel free to say, "Okay boomer."

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

I've had car and condo insurance with Progressive (The condo was via Progressive, but was called Homesite.)  After my 12/2019 accident with the cold water valve that created a huge unintended release of water, Homesite jacked my rate up so high, I couldn't afford it. God help me, I went to LiMu, which gave me a pretty decent rate, until I discovered it was only for 6 months. I cancelled and have been without homeowner's insurance since January.  ($48 payment fee, in addition to the huge premium)

NOW that the car insurance needs renewing, they've jacked up that rate, too, disregarding the age of the car, how little I drive anymore...

We have a local thrift shop that uses its profits to help animal shelters & homeless pets. Above them, in the upstairs office, is a State Farm Agent who has pledged a $10 donation to Second Life for every new policy, so I called them.

I will be taking a gallon of Ranch Dressing to Ms. Madison, who told me she hasn't written a quote with this low a premium in a long time. No more commuting, now that I'm retired, the car's too old for too much coverage, Safe Driver discounts...and the condo insurance ignored the water issue after I told her I've had ALL my valves replaced and it won't happen again in my lifetime.

AND the homeless pets/shelters got another $10.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 20

I will be taking a gallon of Ranch Dressing to Ms. Madison, who told me she hasn't written a quote with this low a premium in a long time. No more commuting, now that I'm retired, the car's too old for too much coverage, Safe Driver discounts...and the condo insurance ignored the water issue after I told her I've had ALL my valves replaced and it won't happen again in my lifetime.

What? No Cuckoo Crusties?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Ugh, not this again.

The only thing good on that whole list is perhaps my favorite movie of all time, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, which airs May 1st on MeTV at 8:00pm (Svengoolie). 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Ugh, not this again.

The only thing good on that whole list is perhaps my favorite movie of all time, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, which airs May 1st on MeTV at 8:00pm (Svengoolie). 

TVLand already has Andy on all day and night. Seems redundant.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, peacheslatour said:

TVLand already has Andy on all day and night. Seems redundant.

I can't watch TVLand or Paramount.  It seems like those channels have more time devoted to commercials than the actual television programs themselves.  I like my television programs to start at the top or the bottom of the hour, and the same goes for when the programs should end, the top or the bottom of the hour.  All of the extra padding for commercials make those programs unwatchable.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4

My local nursery no longer buys hardy hibiscuses from their original supplier.  Apparently a whole bunch of hibiscuses were mislabeled and people were trying to buy one color and getting a totally different color.  I know I got one that wasn't what I expected, and now I am told by my local nursery that people were having a tough time getting them to come backup the next year.  They die to the ground in the winter and come back up from the roots in the spring, just like peonies.  My hibiscuses that I planted last year still aren't up, and there are no signs of life.  That can't be good.  They weren't cheap.  My peonies are up.

I don't know how there can be a mix up.  Hybrid hibiscuses are reproduced through cuttings, not seed.  That is how they guarantee that the plants grown from cuttings will be the same as the parent they came from.  Seeds from the parent plants when grown may not look like the parent plant.  How hard can it possibly be to label cuttings and then stick them in a rooting compound and then their own pot of soil?   I think it would be darn near impossible to make that mix up, unless the supplier just threw all of the cuttings in a pile without labeling them, and then went through the process of potting them.

I like growing hardy hibiscuses from established plants.  I have in the past bought several hibiscus roots, and they are quite expensive, but on only one occasion was I successfully able to get one to grow from a root. 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, janie jones said:

And faster. You have to be more precise on touch screens, and it slows you down.

And they always "think" they know better than you when it comes to autofill/autocorrect.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

There was a lot of talk in the other threads about vaccines so I wanted to post this video here.  It's Jon Oliver's show Sunday about vaccines.  Jon Oliver's Vaccine video

What's happening in India is unbelievably horrible.

• Sad 9

On 4/28/2021 at 9:10 AM, icemiser69 said:

Ugh, not this again.

They used Bon Ami!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Just now, eel21788 said:

They used Bon Ami!!!!!!!!!!

"Atta boy, Luther!"

That movie had all of the character actors.

• Like 2

Discussion on quinoa. It's not new. I remember taking a quinoa salad to a potluck at least 15 years ago. One of the health benefits is that it is high in protein. It takes on flavors well, so it can be quite tasty.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Discussion on quinoa. It's not new.

Not at all.  But maybe it's not readily familiar in some regions (because "I've never had it" is one thing, but "I've never heard of it" could mean something individual or a community norm).

About 20 years ago, my mom asked me what a potluck dish was, I said, "quinoa salad," and she asked what quinoa was.  Fast forward a few months, and she referred to a side dish on a menu as "kin-oh-uh" and asked me what it was.  "Not kinohuh, keenwah, like that salad you liked at M's party."  Hearing it pronounced and then seeing it written, she did not connect that it was the same thing.

• Like 1

What to do with un-toppinged pizza crust: Some say toss it, some say dip it in the ranch. I say, "Give to Stella."  One of my cats loves baked goods AND tomato sauce, so pizza is a gift from the heavens for her. She'll gnaw on the naked crust, leave it, and come back to it later.

• Like 4

Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

What to do with un-toppinged pizza crust: Some say toss it, some say dip it in the ranch. I say, "Give to Stella."  One of my cats loves baked goods AND tomato sauce, so pizza is a gift from the heavens for her. She'll gnaw on the naked crust, leave it, and come back to it later.

I had a tortie like that. Anything bread related - croissants, pancakes, pizza crust. She once try to take a bite of pancake right out of my mouth with her teeth. I theorized that since her mother was feral, she had been born under a dumpster behind a McDonalds and ate old hamburger buns when she was a baby.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

38 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What to do with un-toppinged pizza crust: Some say toss it, some say dip it in the ranch.

I used to just eat it. But now the ranch has come over me. 

• Laugh 2

Stella's a tortie, too.  When Scooter (brown tabby) was alive, she'd eat almost anything orange - cantaloupe, pumpkin, carrots. She really like orange stuff except for the fruit. Cats & citrus don't usually get along.  I had another cat (dilute calico) that tried to keep kosher. If I gave her some pepperoni pizza, she'd pull the pepperoni off and eat the cheese. She ate matzoh ball soup, loved latkes (without the onions), and purred when she ate lox.  The fact that her mother was Pittypat Friedman may have had something to do with her Jewishness.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

I'm watching the Match Game on Buzzr. This is kind of fun because you have to remember what was going on back then.  It's the big bonus - contestant, of course, selects Richard Dawson.  The clue was "Ace (blank)"  and because I've been watching too damn much TV/commercials, I say "Inhibitor" - but then realize that wasn't a thing in the 70s,  Bwaahahahaha,  (Contestant said "of spades" and Dawson said "in the hole," so she didn't win the big money.)

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm watching the Match Game on Buzzr. This is kind of fun because you have to remember what was going on back then.  It's the big bonus - contestant, of course, selects Richard Dawson.  The clue was "Ace (blank)"  and because I've been watching too damn much TV/commercials, I say "Inhibitor" - but then realize that wasn't a thing in the 70s,  Bwaahahahaha,  (Contestant said "of spades" and Dawson said "in the hole," so she didn't win the big money.)

Since it was the seventies I would have said Frehley. Even though I hated Kiss. No big money for me.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1