Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

My Mum was a chain smoker in the 50s, and died that way just last year.  I was probably born addicted to nicotine, and am still an unrepentant smoker (hey, I'm a loner & don't bother anyone but my credit card companies!).  She had me lighting her ciggies - and starting her Buick - before I was old enough to go to school.  She was also chastised for putting coffee in my lunchbox thermos when I was in the first grade.  :-)

One of my favorite products that went away was some Jergens lotion - it had little gold flecks in it that made my skin sparkle in the sunshine.  Man, I miss that stuff!

It sounds like your mother  was a very  interesting  person.

• Love 2
On 3/11/2017 at 4:27 PM, mojoween said:

Part of the problem is that I have very fussy men who won't use gel, or spray, or solids.  Right Guard made a clear stick that they loved and I got a ton on Jet.com.  I went to order more, no dice.  Went on the Right Guard website and it wasn't listed.  Searched on Google and found message boards where people were lamenting that it was no longer made, but I did find where people said a nice substitution is Old Spice soft solid.  They seem to like it so far.  Plus it's sold at BJ's so I can get it cheaper than at the grocery store or Target.

Right Guard Sport clear stick anti-antiperspirant/deodorant was the only thing my husband would use for the longest time (heaven forbid I accidentally buy the gel or the non-clear stick...), and it kept disappearing from more and more stores over time. When we got to the point that the only way to find it was to pay $20+ per stick  on eBay, he finally found a Dove for Men product he liked that I can actually find at Target or the grocery. [And the heavens parted, and the angels sang, because keeping him dry and fresh was becoming quite the ordeal...] 

• Love 4
On 3/12/2017 at 11:42 AM, walnutqueen said:

One of my favorite products that went away was some Jergens lotion - it had little gold flecks in it that made my skin sparkle in the sunshine.  Man, I miss that stuff!

I've been trying to remember the name of a face lotion I used in the 50's.  It was pink and it made my face almost glow.  I want to say it was Deep Magic, or something like that -- something "magic".  It was marketed to teenagers.  Older women, like my mom, were into Pond's cold cream -- a recipe for zits on a teenager's face, I think.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I've been trying to remember the name of a face lotion I used in the 50's.  It was pink and it made my face almost glow.  I want to say it was Deep Magic, or something like that -- something "magic".  It was marketed to teenagers.  Older women, like my mom, were into Pond's cold cream -- a recipe for zits on a teenager's face, I think.

Pond's cold cream - now you're giving me a flashback to the good old days.  :-)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Baby Magic?  I think it was pink.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Baby Magic?  I think it was pink.

That might be it.  Was Baby Magic for babies though?   I'm also remembering "angel" might have been in the name.  The Deep Magic photos don't match the product.  It's fun, looking at all the websites with cosmetic ads from the 50's.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

That might be it.  Was Baby Magic for babies though?   I'm also remembering "angel" might have been in the name.  The Deep Magic photos don't match the product.  It's fun, looking at all the websites with cosmetic ads from the 50's.

Speaking of 1950's cosmetics, I offer you cake mascara. It was a thing, way back when.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Speaking of 1950's cosmetics, I offer you cake mascara. It was a thing, way back when.

I LOVED cake mascara, jet black.  It went on all gloppy and thick and it was wonderful!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ABay said:

"Alma, tell us/all modern women are jealous

Though you didn't even use Pond's/you got Gustave and Walter and Franz."

I love Tom Lehrer.

I love Tom Lehrer, too.  I'm gonna have to search and find his two albums, true gems!

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I love Tom Lehrer, too.  I'm gonna have to search and find his two albums, true gems!

"Who can turn a pan into a pane/who can turn a man into a mane/it's not too hard to see/it's Silent E."

I have this and "L-Y" on my iPod.  And I'm 50 years old.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Mom used it.  And an eyelash curler.  And loose powder, with a puff.  You could tell she was young in the 30's -- she plucked most of her eyebrows and they never grew back. 

I used to put her hair in a chignon (bun) using a wire-form thingie.  Mom had gorgeous hair. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Mom used it.  And an eyelash curler.  And loose powder, with a puff.  You could tell she was young in the 30's -- she plucked most of her eyebrows and they never grew back

I will never understand how this happens.   I tweeze the unruly eyebrow hairs, to get a better shape, but they ALWAYS grow back.  Yet I have an aunt, who plucked her eyebrows completely (to draw them on higher up - WEIRD!)  and hers never grew back.   She had that perpetual look of surprise that comes from eyebrows drawn an inch higher than they should be.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, janie jones said:

Do people not use eyelash curlers anymore?

I use an eyelash curler. I am not the target demographic for mascara because I have long lashes but they need to be curled if using mascara or it's not good. Those lengthening mascaras are terrible for me because it can almost get them long enough to touch the lenses in my glasses and then it's just a mess.

My kids think it's a torture device and are astounded that I can use it without flinching. 

• Love 2

Genuinely curious - How is it a torture device?  It doesn't touch the eyeball or anything.  It's not like your hair has pain receptors and can feel being bent.  If that were the case curling irons and hair dryers would hurt and be torture devices.  In full disclosure, I generally don't use eyelash curlers, but I have when I 'acted' (HS and college) and for some Halloween costumes so maybe I'm missing something.  

• Love 1

I don't know about torture, but I can't stand something that close to my eye, and if you get it too far down you can pinch yourself and pull out lashes. There's definitely a learning curve, but I bailed after trying one a few times. Can't put on eyeliner for the same reason. Too close to my eye and I start blinking and tearing up and it's just a mess.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

Genuinely curious - How is it a torture device?  It doesn't touch the eyeball or anything.  It's not like your hair has pain receptors and can feel being bent.  If that were the case curling irons and hair dryers would hurt and be torture devices.  In full disclosure, I generally don't use eyelash curlers, but I have when I 'acted' (HS and college) and for some Halloween costumes so maybe I'm missing something.  

The appearance of it, mostly. All the other make-up stuff--brushes, pencils, powders--look benign to them. But the the mechanics of the curler--and having it next to the eye--just looks bad to them. I can handle a needle going into an arm. But an eye? I can't watch that shit. I think it's that vein of seeing something like that next to an eye. I've shown them that it doesn't hurt and that it doesn't bother me at all. But the way it clamps down seems kinda freaky to them.

• Love 3

I used to work with a woman who would separate the clumpy eyelashes with a SEWING NEEDLE.  ****IN THE CAR****

I was always expecting to hear, upon arrival at work, that Wanda had been rear-ended and she poked out her own eye. Man, I hated working there.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I own an eyelash curler,  but I've always been afraid to use it.  I'm just afraid that I will clamp down on my lashes and they will all get pulled out.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to work with a woman who would separate the clumpy eyelashes with a SEWING NEEDLE.  ****IN THE CAR****

There's a scene in Charlie Wilson's War where Julia Roberts is separating her eyelashes with a safety pin. Everyone made a big fuss about it, in a positive way, kind of woman solidarity thing, 'OMG, I do that, too!'. 

I own an eyelash curler but I've never used it. I don't feel the need.

• Love 1

There's a scene in Charlie Wilson's War where Julia Roberts is separating her eyelashes with a safety pin. Everyone made a big fuss about it, in a positive way, kind of woman solidarity thing, 'OMG, I do that, too!'. 

But *in the car* ???

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ennui said:

I own an eyelash curler but I've never used it. I don't feel the need.

Okay, I may have done it in my teens. But in a moving car? No.

• Love 3

I have this metal lash comb, but it doesn't work well. The comb's teeth are too tightly spaced to comb through mascaraed lashes. The comb just gets clumped up. The teeth should be curved (collectively in an arc) so the comb reaches all the lashes at once. Really, they should've consulted me on the design.

6143Eqc0VTL._SX522_.jpg.353f88442b1f936a514d27fbbf2aad4d.jpg

Curling my lashes with a clamping curler makes a pretty nice difference; it just lifts up the droopers. Keep in mind with all this that all I can be bothered to do overall is cover my "blemishes" and put on mascara as dark as my soul. Anything else is too much work for me.

• Love 5

I don't wear mascara (or any other make-up), but I have an eyelash curler left over from when I did (about 25 years ago; I can't believe the rubber hasn't rotted) and, since I have long eyelashes, sometimes if I'm feeling really fancy I curl them.  The first time I encountered an eyelash curler was at about 12, when my best friend's sister and her friend put make-up on the two of us (which we promptly had to wash off when our moms found us); my eyes started watering like crazy.  But I never had any issues once I started wearing make-up, and don't know that I use the curler once every five years, so maybe it was her. 

• Love 1

Overheard conversation:

"I'm not feeling well today. I think I might be getting sick."

"Do you need new shoes? New shoes always make me feel better."

I kid you not.

from annoying commercials.

When I was young and in one of my first jobs (which I hated), I was feeling down about a lot of things. At lunch time I went into a boutique, bought a floppy brim, pastel blue, felt hat. Nobody wore hats in those days, but God, I loved that hat! And it cheered me up when I bought it and every time I wore it or looked at it.

• Love 3
Just now, friendperidot said:

from annoying commercials.

When I was young and in one of my first jobs (which I hated), I was feeling down about a lot of things. At lunch time I went into a boutique, bought a floppy brim, pastel blue, felt hat. Nobody wore hats in those days, but God, I loved that hat! And it cheered me up when I bought it and every time I wore it or looked at it.

I feel the same way about red shoes.

• Love 4
On 3/15/2017 at 9:52 AM, riley702 said:

I don't know about torture, but I can't stand something that close to my eye, and if you get it too far down you can pinch yourself and pull out lashes. There's definitely a learning curve, but I bailed after trying one a few times. Can't put on eyeliner for the same reason. Too close to my eye and I start blinking and tearing up and it's just a mess.

I am glad I am not the only one. I  almost  felt like a failure  as I women  when I could not apply  eyeliner , the I realized  that whether  you wore makeup  or not did not change  who you were, so I went natural ,  no makeup.

• Love 5
On 3/14/2017 at 11:50 AM, AuntiePam said:

My mom used that!  So did I for a while.  It came in a blue-green sort of circle-shaped container, right?  It was really good moisturizer, and I missed it when I couldn't get it any more.  

Oh, and it was Deep Magic.  Maybe there was a baby version, but the one I remember was definitely Deep Magic.  

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2017 at 5:53 PM, bilgistic said:

I have this metal lash comb, but it doesn't work well. The comb's teeth are too tightly spaced to comb through mascaraed lashes. The comb just gets clumped up. The teeth should be curved (collectively in an arc) so the comb reaches all the lashes at once. Really, they should've consulted me on the design.

6143Eqc0VTL._SX522_.jpg.353f88442b1f936a514d27fbbf2aad4d.jpg

Curling my lashes with a clamping curler makes a pretty nice difference; it just lifts up the droopers. Keep in mind with all this that all I can be bothered to do overall is cover my "blemishes" and put on mascara as dark as my soul. Anything else is too much work for me.

Yes i own that exact same lash seperator i bought it at least 15 years ago and i agree...the teeth are way too close together to comb thru mascara. I never use it but for some unknown reason, i just cant throw it away.

53 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Credit agencies consider it a good thing for you to always have "installment debt"; so much so that you can't get a perfect score without it (assuming you're making the payments). According to my credit card co's web site, paying off your car (and having the money for other things) drops your FICO 30 points.

22 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Wow!

Sorry I can't let this one pass.  This is wrong info you received.  Credit scores are incredibly complex (e.g. the FICO score, the score that is most widely used by the industry, is a 30 page score card that is updated constantly).  It is true that if you have NO credit history you cannot be scored, so in those cases it is better to get a loan or credit card and use it.  But once you have credit history, no 1 single thing outside of bankruptcy, delinquencies, or charge-offs are going to impact your score.  There's a handful of areas that impact, but within each of those are so many variables beyond what they normally tell you in the high-level.  Open to Buy, Revolve Rate, Utilization, etc...  However, all these things are improved if you have smaller or no balances.  But again, paying off one balance will not move a score up or down 30 points, unless it is your first and only credit or loan product.  

Yes, I used to work for FICO, and I have also spent many years in the banking industry using these scores.  

• Love 5

Yeah, I have a good credit score, and I've never carried a balance on any of my credit cards; I pay them in full each month and always have (I just use them for convenience, not as a way to not pay the full amount).  In fact, my mortgage was the only debt I ever had; no car, student, or other loans in my history.  Same with my parents, who have crazy-good credit. 

It would make sense to me that if you've always paid cash for everything, never having a credit card or loan, you'd be completely unknown as a credit risk and thus have a lower score.  But it wouldn't make sense that if you've taken out a couple forms of credit and consistently met your obligation in full that you'd be considered a greater risk than someone who throws $50/month at thousands of dollars worth of debt.  I've heard the latter, but it doesn't seem to be true from my (and my parents') experience.

• Love 2

I use a credit card for just about everything and pay it off every month. I also have a Home Equity Loan. That's it. I paid the car off via the HELOC because the interest rate on the HELOC was better.  When I look at my FICO score, which is, apparently, determined near the end of the credit card's monthly cycle - when it's at its highest - they tell me my score was impacted by two things...not having a "personal loan" that I'm paying off every month and having too many accounts with balances. I have TWO freakin' accounts and that's too many, yet they want me to open another one? It's a racket.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's a racket.

I agree. People who declare bankruptcy will be flooded with credit card offers because the issuers know they can't declare bankruptcy again for seven years. Seems cruel.

^ That's not actually true either.  I've worked in credit cards for 15 years, we never ever offer credit cards to people with bankruptcies.  They are always purged from solicitation lists and cross-sell offers.  At every banks I've ever worked at.  Usually, if you have a bankruptcy you'll have to get a secured card, or a very very low line card (like $100-200) and we don't mail those offers out.  

• Love 1

Well, there's a woman in the next building who's declared bankruptcy, so the HOA can't go after her for unpaid fees, but, by gum, she's gotten new appliances, new granite countertops, new flooring, she's getting new windows and has such a huge-ass TV, I can watch it from my front porch.  I wonder if she's paid for any of THAT stuff.

• Love 2
On 3/24/2017 at 2:05 PM, aquarian1 said:

This is wrong info you received.  Credit scores are incredibly complex (e.g. the FICO score, the score that is most widely used by the industry, is a 30 page score card that is updated constantly).

I think it's more accurate to call it a simplification than wrong. Each of the three big credit bureaus have their own secret tweaks to the calculations that are intended to make their scores better, so there's no way for a credit card co to give you the whole story.

• Love 1