Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Jill's Having A....

Wow- we live in very different worlds. I know plenty of people in first year white collar jobs who do flextime/partial work from home positions. But that's me.

Agreed. In my experience, it's usually a corporate or departmental policy and it's either available or it's not. It's not a reward for years of service. But my question is, how do we know how much time he's missing from work? Who's to say he isn't filming his bits after work or on weekends? If it looks like he's around all the time, it's probably because it's edited to look like that.

• Love 2

I once took too much of my life to outline how it was quite possible that he had only taken two weeks off in the first calendar year (until December) that included a five day honeymoon.

• Love 1

Wow- we live in very different worlds. I know plenty of people in first year white collar jobs who do flextime/partial work from home positions. But that's me.

Well, as I said, it's completely within the realm of possibility that Derick has been able to do flex time or work from home. He could have a boss that's very agreeable to it. Or a crappy boss who doesn't care about too much, as long as the work gets done. It may be a policy WalMart is really emphasizing right now. It just wouldn't be do-able if I was his boss - not this soon. There are people who can successfully work unsupervised, and people who can't. For people whose work would reflect on me, I'd need to know how well they work in the office setting first. What kind of problems do they tend to run into? What are their weaknesses? What kind of help do they routinely need? For someone at Derick's level, maybe there are a zillion Mickey Mouse projects that can easily be accomplished "off-campus." I'm not anti flex-time. I just wouldn't OK it for a new employee. From a supervisory standpoint, I believe it would be a very poor move.  PS - personally I find the idea that Derick would get big stretches of uninterrupted-by-Jill time at home unlikely, but that's another issue entirely.

I have a friend who is an accountant for Walmart (for at least a couple of decades) and his hours are not M-F, 9-5. This isn't his schedule, it is Walmart's. I believe it does add up to 40-hour weeks and he doesn't work from home. Obviously I don't know Derrick's schedule, but I'm with the people who suggest he may well be working the regular hours set by Walmart, and they film around that for the show without making it obvious. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 2

See, I also have some friends working for Wal- mart corporate office, but not as accountants. They work hard, and they work long hours, but it's not M-F, and it's not 9-5. But their schedule is a little more varied than you would think, given that some parts of the year are crazier than others. I can't help but think this is also the case for accounting as well. I don't know. It just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

Seeing Walmarts home office, it seems most office workers are working regular office hours & not from home. The parking lots are packed during the day & completely empty by 6. Store managers & asst managers work all kinds of wonky hours & weekends, but it seems like the desk jobs work regular hours.

• Love 1

Jill seemed to be driving him to work during "regular" hours, including showing up for his mid-day lunches on-site. 

I think he's currently taking family leave. They will be paid well for the birth special; he can afford to take those 12 weeks off, unpaid. 

• Love 1