Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

I agree with both of your opinions regarding Piper and Leo, and I will even further the unpopular opinion by saying that I never hated the Elders for forbidding their relationship. Hell, I'll even say I agreed with the elders that Piper and Leo's relationship was a distraction and put innocent lives at risk. I always think of the episode with Natalie, "Blinded by the Whitelighter." In this episode, he misses some important Whitelighter meeting to heal Piper's finger. HER FINGER! As a result, he missed important information regarding Ames that could have gotten innocent witches killed. Or in season two him losing his wings for interfering with Piper's death because of the virus. Or in season 3 him being shattered to pieces in Bride and Gloom because he went back to the manor to check on Piper even after she'd succumbed to evil. Or in season 3 in Once Upon a Time when Piper almost allows the little girl to be killed by the trolls because she was going to give up saving innocents because she couldn't be with Leo. And these are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. In general, both allowed their relationship to make them sloppy, careless and at times they both put their relationship before the lives of innocents. I never understood why the Elders just didn't give the Charmed ones a different Whitelighter.

On a similar note, the two just didn't have the chemistry to pull off the, "us against the world," storyline, in my humble opinion, of course. Their relationship just seemed like filler to me, and I think that's why even when Piper was my favorite character, I never found her storylines interesting or compelling since it was usually tied to Leo in some way.

This brings me to my final unpopular opinion. I wasn't sad when Leo was frozen in season 8, and I didn't feel like the show was negatively affected by his absence. Leo always seemed unnecessary to me. And outside of his brief friendship with Paige in the beginning of season 4, the show didn't do enough to solidify his relationship with the other sisters. I never really felt the Leo and Phoebe were close, and I always felt empty to me when Paige or Phoebe would talk about how important Leo was to them, because the show didn't show me any investment in those relationships. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't know if people read the comics are not but originally whitelighters were suppose to be warriors but decided in the end to be guides.

My opinion is that they should have been some where in between. Whitelighters were too passive. 

Another Unpopular opinion is that I disagree with Melinda's prophecy. Melinda had premonitions but if we know anything about premonitions from Phoebe is that they don't always give you all the information. Melinda would have saw 3 powerful witches from her bloodline in her premonition that were sisters but she wouldn't have any other information on other witches to know if the 3 she saw were the most powerful.

Edited by Charmedverse

I have said that I prefer season 8 to season 7, but I figured out exactly why. It's because there's at least one episode I would gladly rewatch from season 8 (Payback's A Witch....I forgot that I loved that episode until today) while for season 7, there are episodes that were ok (Show Ghouls for me) but none that I would gladly rewatch. All the episodes were either mediocre or just horrible to me. Someone to Witch Over Me is close to one I'd rewatch, and I did rewatch it two days ago, but the Avatar stuff still pisses me off so I couldn't even finish the episode once they materialized on-screen. And it's for that reason that ranks 8 above 7, just for the sheer fact that season 8 has one incredibly rewatchable episode for me (and the series finale....I'd actually rewatch that). 

• Love 1
On 5/30/2016 at 11:33 AM, 4evaQuez said:

I agree with both of your opinions regarding Piper and Leo, and I will even further the unpopular opinion by saying that I never hated the Elders for forbidding their relationship. Hell, I'll even say I agreed with the elders that Piper and Leo's relationship was a distraction and put innocent lives at risk. I always think of the episode with Natalie, "Blinded by the Whitelighter." In this episode, he misses some important Whitelighter meeting to heal Piper's finger. HER FINGER! As a result, he missed important information regarding Ames that could have gotten innocent witches killed. Or in season two him losing his wings for interfering with Piper's death because of the virus. Or in season 3 him being shattered to pieces in Bride and Gloom because he went back to the manor to check on Piper even after she'd succumbed to evil. Or in season 3 in Once Upon a Time when Piper almost allows the little girl to be killed by the trolls because she was going to give up saving innocents because she couldn't be with Leo. And these are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. In general, both allowed their relationship to make them sloppy, careless and at times they both put their relationship before the lives of innocents. I never understood why the Elders just didn't give the Charmed ones a different Whitelighter.

On a similar note, the two just didn't have the chemistry to pull off the, "us against the world," storyline, in my humble opinion, of course. Their relationship just seemed like filler to me, and I think that's why even when Piper was my favorite character, I never found her storylines interesting or compelling since it was usually tied to Leo in some way.

This brings me to my final unpopular opinion. I wasn't sad when Leo was frozen in season 8, and I didn't feel like the show was negatively affected by his absence. Leo always seemed unnecessary to me. And outside of his brief friendship with Paige in the beginning of season 4, the show didn't do enough to solidify his relationship with the other sisters. I never really felt the Leo and Phoebe were close, and I always felt empty to me when Paige or Phoebe would talk about how important Leo was to them, because the show didn't show me any investment in those relationships. 

I have always preferred episodes of the sisters figuring out for themselves how to deal with their powers and foes..I always loved the first season the best because of that....You never had the sisters constantly depending on Leo for guidance and healing..Their dependence on him led to the events in the season 3 finale...Phoebe should have been able to heal herself and her sisters as predicted by Melinda Warren in the witch is back...I always felt that the sisters should have had a healing spell in the book of shadows to help them when injured in battle...

• Love 2

This is my first time leaving the Gilmore Girls section since discovering this site. I see a couple of familiar names here and wonder if there's a large overlap between Charmed and Gilmore Girls fans. I can't even express how excited I am to see there's a Charmed section because this show is probably my second favorite and the one show I watch almost as much as I watch Gilmore Girls. I always loved this show more than Buffy, which I gather is an extraordinarily unpopular opinion!  

I haven't spent a lot of time in the Charmed fandom so I'm not sure what else is considered too unpopular, but from what I've seen I think that some of these qualify.  

The third, fourth and fifth seasons are my favorite ones, but especially the fourth and fifth. The most unpopular opinion I have is that I don't like the first two seasons nearly as much as the middle ones.  

I like all four of the sisters but Piper has always been the one I loved the most. If we picked our favorite television characters, she would be very high on my list. I understand why her sarcasm and guardedness would turn a lot of people off to the character, but I view her as an extraordinarily sensitive and loving person who holds a lot in and tries to protect herself from further pain. Maybe it's the acting more than how they wrote her, but she always seemed to have the most layers and depth. Someone mentioned that she's an introvert, and I thought her introversion was a good contrast to the extroversion of the other three sisters.I'm an introvert as well, which may explain why I connected with her from the first episode!  

I love Piper and Leo. Other than Luke and Lorelai from Gilmore Girls, I can't even think of a television couple I love more. I was reading that they had too many obstacles and not enough periods of happiness and agree with that assessment, but they are one of those couples I always believed loved each other no matter what. I would like both Leo and Piper as people if I met them in real life, which is worth mentioning because there aren't that many TV couples I feel that way about. I think in their own way they had as much chemistry as Phoebe and Cole, just a different and much healthier, longer lasting type.  

I didn't like Phoebe and Cole very much. I appreciate what he added and how interesting many of his plotlines were, but I never warmed up to Cole and agree with people who thought Phoebe was easier to love before she became so consumed with him. 

Andy is fine but I didn't feel like he or his relationship with Prue made a strong impression on me.

Like a lot of you, I found the sisters' boyfriends too dull to care about and wondered sometimes why they seemed to need men in their lives to feel complete. Maybe the better question would be why networks feel we only want to watch shows like this one if there's dating and guy drama in nearly every episode. 

I understand why people feel like the writers didn't always write Paige in a clear and consistent way, but I felt like I knew her anyway. She was weird, creative, and like someone else said constantly torn between wanting to live autonomously and do what she wanted versus joining in with others in order to be part of a family. I felt like she was the most passionate about using her powers and helping innocents in any way possible, especially once Phoebe seemed more focused on personal goals. There's something fragile about her underneath her strength that touched me. I ended up loving her so much that I would place her just behind Piper on my list of favorite Halliwell sisters. 

Now I have to go watch the show again from the beginning! 

• Love 1

I've been watching parts of S8 again (I'm a masochist) and am not hating it as much as I did/should because I've developed an unpopularly strong affection for Henry and the Paige/Henry pairing. I'd figured they were just another one of Charmed's many, many interchangeable, screentime-wasting relationships, but these two really work for me on every level. 

Don't panic, though---even *I* am not unpopular enough to actually enjoy Billie or Christie this time around :)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, amensisterfriend said:

I've been watching parts of S8 again (I'm a masochist) and am not hating it as much as I did/should because I've developed an unpopularly strong affection for Henry and the Paige/Henry pairing. I'd figured they were just another one of Charmed's many, many interchangeable, screentime-wasting relationships, but these two really work for me on every level. 

Don't panic, though---even *I* am not unpopular enough to actually enjoy Billie or Christie this time around :)

I have that same affection. He is absolutely the best boyfriend Paige ever had. Kyle had too many issues with his parents' deaths that he never really got over (although at least he got peace by the end of his arc), Richard had his moments and Richard worked well with his couple of scenes with Phoebe/Piper (I honestly love the moment in Soul Survivor when he's warning Piper and Phoebe about Paige going down to save her innocent's soul and he comments about Wyatt's eyes glowing orbs so nonchalantly) but he started caring about magic more than Paige by the end, and Glenn worked better as a best friend. 

Not only have Paige's all boyfriends accepted magic pretty quickly, Henry's reaction was the absolute best. Glenn's was treated like a joke, Richard was already a witch himself, and Kyle was already aware of witchcraft and demons. Also, I'm watching Paige/Henry scenes right now on Youtube and I absolutely forgot that Henry was a foster kid. It gave him and Paige a little more in common with not having any biological parents for most of their lives. Plus, Henry fighting that random, out of the blue male witch for Paige's heart? He was literally willing to fight a magic being for her, as a mortal. And Paige explaining to Henry about demons? Through stick figure drawings? Henry proposing to Paige on top of the Golden Gate Bridge? Man, I really wish Paige/Henry happened a lot earlier. 

• Love 4

Also, I'm watching Paige/Henry scenes right now on Youtube and I absolutely forgot that Henry was a foster kid. It gave him and Paige a little more in common with not having any biological parents for most of their lives.

Exactly! Paige was always kind of searching for her purpose and permanent place. She admitted she had abandonment issues related to her biological parents and guilt over how she rebelled and acted out with her adoptive parents while searching for herself as a teen, she was often unsure (especially at the beginning) of exactly where she fit in with Piper and Phoebe as both a witch and a new sister, she was constantly searching throughout the series for the career she was meant to pursue, etc. And Henry went through the foster care system, which is by definition all about not having a permanent place either. So to find love, stability and acceptance with each other...it almost chokes me up just thinking about it, but then we know I'm a hopeless sap :) She's more animated and kooky than he is, which is a nice complementary difference between them, but they're both kind of snarky, bold and tough on the surface yet really vulnerable underneath. Someone shut me up before I become tempted to write a dreadful Paige/Henry fanfic! 

He was literally willing to fight a magic being for her, as a mortal. And Paige explaining to Henry about demons? Through stick figure drawings? Henry proposing to Paige on top of the Golden Gate Bridge? Man, I really wish Paige/Henry happened a lot earlier.

In a way I do too, because with Cole/Phoebe often too toxic (I often really enjoy Cole and appreciate the storylines his character gave rise to, but Cole/Phoebe obviously had a ton of roller coaster-y issues, and he was always kind of smarmy to me even while a supposedly "good" human!) and Piper/Leo becoming duller and increasingly draining to me with their angst over the course of so many seasons, it would have been great to have one longer term romance on Charmed that I really loved. Then again, based on how the writers of Charmed and most other TV shows start to write couples who are together for longer than half a season or so, maybe we should consider ourselves fortunate that we saw just enough of Paige/Henry to care about them and root for their happiness before the show had time to assassinate them as individuals or a couple :) 

Another UO is that while I'm liking Coop more this time around, I wish Phoebe had ended the series single. Not every woman's 'happy ending' has to involve marriage and biological children, and I love the idea that Phoebe, who was always the most obsessed with finding love and seemed to equate it with happiness, would be the one to learn by the end that she could be just as happy and fulfilled as a single woman. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, amensisterfriend said:

Another UO is that while I'm liking Coop more this time around, I wish Phoebe had ended the series single. Not every woman's 'happy ending' has to involve marriage and biological children, and I love the idea that Phoebe, who was always the most obsessed with finding love and seemed to equate it with happiness, would be the one to learn by the end that she could be just as happy and fulfilled as a single woman. 

Exactly! It would have been nice for there to be no shoehorned romance just for the sake of the final season (see: Dex and then Coop, AKA, a rehasing of Cupid from season 2, except Coop was more persistent and pushy). Then, in the voiceover, they could have said that Phoebe ended up meeting a very nice man that she settled down with after she stopped trying so hard and she had her beautiful three girls. There, it's that simple. It would have saved a whole lot of the budget to do other things, and it wouldn't have felt forced at all. Listen, I didn't HATE Coop as much as others, but I knew he was forced into a season that already had enough problems. He didn't feel like he naturally fit in. 

I still liked Piper/Leo up until the very end. They are still one of my favourite couples. However, Piper turned into a raging bitch in the last couple of seasons with Leo. I know they attempted to go for more humour, so they turned to Leo as the running joke, but I felt so bad for him. After becoming mortal, it was like all they could to was make him the comic relief, or part of the joke. As much as I disliked his Avatar storyline (like...a lot), I still liked Leo as a character and wish they tried harder with him after becoming mortal.

Also....Brian Krause looked his best in season 8. Same with Rose McGowan and Alyssa Milano. Holly's looks didn't change a whole lot after season 2, but she also looked great in season 8. And that's basically what I can appreciate about season 8: the main characters looked the best than they ever had. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'd love to hear more about why you love Leo! I want to love him because I love the 'nicer' guys instead of the usual bad boy types we see on TV, and I like how he had this calm, laidback energy in contrast to the more intense, vibrant sisters. I also liked when they let him be all goofy and funny, intentionally and otherwise :) More often than not, though, he was written as the show's exposition fairy without much of a defined personality of his own, leaving me more lukewarm on the guy than anything else. 

owever, Piper turned into a raging bitch in the last couple of seasons with Leo.

Ha! I guess my UO is that I thought that trend started way before the last couple of seasons :) Beyond S1 she was an impossibly negative nag with Leo way too often, always unhappy about one thing or another and seemingly never satisfied with any aspect of their lives. It might be my interpretation, though---some of the snippiness (let's pretend 'snippiness' is a word even though my computer says otherwise!) that I hear from her might be intended as humorous snark more than genuine annoyance with so much of what Leo says and does and her life in general...? I recently read an old recap of the show that talks about how Piper is literally always complaining, like almost to the point where she actively finds problems to bitch about when none are readily apparent, and that captures why I have the UO of not feeling like Piper is my favorite sister as she seems to be for nearly everyone else :) That said, I'm liking her more and realizing that (to me) she's often more lovable around her sisters than she is around Leo.  HMC really is terrific at giving the character layers and nuances and acting the hell out of the scenes where she has to exhibit any type of strong emotion, and I never doubt that she loves her sisters and even Leo dearly. I just wish they had made written her as a little less snippy and querulous on a day to day basis, especially around Leo. Prue is the one usually (and somewhat accurately!) labeled as too serious, uptight etc., but overall I actually think she was more positive and less complaint prone than Piper. 

Forgive the rambling...I just get so excited to talk about this show which, despite any criticisms and snark, I love beyond reason :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
3 minutes ago, amensisterfriend said:

Ha! I guess my UO is that I thought that trend started way before the last couple of seasons :) Beyond S1 she was an impossibly negative nag with Leo way too often, always unhappy about one thing or another and seemingly never satisfied with any aspect of their lives. It might be my interpretation, though---some of the snippiness (let's pretend 'snippiness' is a word even though my computer says otherwise!) that I hear from her might be intended as humorous snark more than genuine annoyance with so much of what Leo says and does and her life in general...? I recently read an old recap of the show that talks about how Piper is literally always complaining, like almost to the point where she actively finds problems to bitch about when none are readily apparent, and that captures why I have the UO of not feeling like Piper is my favorite sister as she seems to be for nearly everyone else :) That said, I'm liking her more and realizing that (to me) she's often more lovable around her sisters than she is around Leo.  HMC really is terrific at giving the character layers and nuances and acting the hell out of the scenes where she has to exhibit any type of strong emotion, and I never doubt that she loves her sisters and even Leo dearly. I just wish they had made written her as a little less snippy and querulous on a day to day basis, especially around Leo. Prue is the one usually (and somewhat accurately!) labeled as too serious, uptight etc., but overall I actually think she was more positive and less complaint prone than Piper. 

I'll start off with all of this first! Piper's always had this responsible, nagging thing going on with her, but it never annoyed me as much before. I understand her relationship in seasons 2 and 3 with Leo. She had a lot of stress attributed to it. The Elders were being a pain in her ass, Dan was being an annoying pain in the ass (ok he was mostly bland and never worked with Piper because she was always going to love Leo) and she was unhappy because she didn't have more than an episode where she could relax and be a normal couple with him. They were so abnormal because of Piper being a witch and Leo being a whitelighter, and that was new and scary for her. Piper, a woman who always liked having some control and loved her normal life more than any other sister, yet she couldn't ever have one with Leo. The few episodes he became mortal in season 2 for her, the problem was freaking Dan, along with Leo wanting to be a whitelighter still. Back then, I felt like her annoyance was with the Elders and unfortunately, she couldn't meet with them to express her dislike for their rules (because, as we know, back then going up There meant not remembering after a while and losing time). So who was the only one closest to the Elders where she could get her anger out? Leo. 

I do think they tried partially to give them happy moments, or they meant to give them a break, but then season 4 happened, with Prue dying and Paige being introduced, and then the whole Cole/Phoebe dynamic changing, so they weren't really given a break. That's why season 5 had them mostly happy and mostly supportive of one another, but that was through the pregnancy. Of course, their genius plan was to bring more drama instead of letting them be happy with their newborn child. Hence, the introduction of couple's counselling and then the inevitable split. I think it's after season 6, after they got back together, where they changed a lot. Piper became....mean, like really mean. And then Leo became mortal, the one thing that might lead to a somewhat normal relationship with them. Maybe that would make Piper happy, I thought. But then they thought it was funnier when Piper was nagging and yelling at Leo, especially in season 8. 

Yet, I could never give up on the couple because they did love each other; Holly and Brian sold that to me easily, through every fight, through every heartbreak. They definitely had their off moments, but when they had good moments, they were really, really good. 

Now....I can honestly say this as a UO, but I didn't buy Cole and Phoebe's love at one point. I liked the couple, but the actual chemistry was lackluster, especially halfway through season 4. And it's actually on Phoebe's end that I stopped buying it, even before Cole became the Source. It just stopped clicking for me, and I loved both characters together and separately during those middle seasons. I just stopped loving them at one point, and I can't even pinpoint where.

17 minutes ago, amensisterfriend said:

I'd love to hear more about why you love Leo! I want to love him because I love the 'nicer' guys instead of the usual bad boy types we see on TV, and I like how he had this calm, laidback energy in contrast to the more intense, vibrant sisters. I also liked when they let him be all goofy and funny, intentionally and otherwise :) More often than not, though, he was written as the show's exposition fairy without much of a defined personality of his own, leaving me more lukewarm on the guy than anything else. 

Man, there's a lot I could say about Leo. Besides the points that you mentioned, he just had a nice dynamic with all of the sisters, when they actually let him have individual relationships with them. I loved his more laidback energy, and I loved his pep talks with the girls (although I remember the girls not being able to function without him at one point in the season 5 finale and Chris tried to give a pep talk but couldn't...which annoyed me a lot, as the girls have never depended this much on Leo).

I also feel like the sisters took advantage of Leo one too many times. Piper certainly did, but so did Paige and Phoebe. I won't say Prue, because Leo was still used as a useful whitelighter before season 4. He had a lot of potential and he really was a good foil for the sisters being more dominant and out there, and I loved that he got a story in season 7, even if I didn't like the story they chose for him. Basically, if the show utilized his character more, I think he could have been a fantastic character. As it is, we didn't get what we could have but I still appreciate the importance he made on the series as a whole, and it's why the second half, besides Christy, fell apart quite quickly. They lost that male figure that I think helped to balance the sisters out. 

Also, as you can see from my many posts here, I ramble too! I have a lot to say! 

• Love 2

Now....I can honestly say this as a UO, but I didn't buy Cole and Phoebe's love at one point. I liked the couple, but the actual chemistry was lackluster, especially halfway through season 4.

Mine is that I found Cole much more enjoyable when he was evil or crazy (S5) than when he was allegedly good and sane :) And while I did think they had chemistry, I'm actually glad they didn't end up together, which seems to be a definite UO among the fandom as a whole. So many borderline harmful, toxic relationships are glorified as 'epic' these days and turn out to be endgame after a ton of awfulness that it was nice to see one where the female essentially gets to a point where she's all 'yes, I'll always care about you, but I can't ever fully trust you again and am done being involved with you no matter what...' and finally sticks to that. I totally get why people think Phoebe was uncharacteristically cold to Cole during S5---and she was, especially since it's always debatable how much of the havoc Cole wreaked was ever his fault since he was possessed and all that---but part of me understood and even respected Phoebe for the way she handled it. 

• Love 2

---Our awesome conversation here inspired me to change my profile picture to a shot of Paige on her wedding day. I'm hopeless :) 

Let's see, another UO...others have said it, but I find this show even more endlessly rewatchable than Buffy and much more enjoyable (for me) than Supernatural even though both BtVS and SPN are considered far 'better' shows. It just has this really special place in my TV-fixated heart! 

• Love 2
(edited)

Our amazing discussions on other threads are helping me to identify my most unpopular opinions. I hope others chime in with more of theirs too...this is a judgement-free zone, my fellow Charmed fans! 

It's official as of this latest of my embarrassing number of rewatches...for the first two seasons and even parts of the third, Phoebe is my favorite sister. I'll take it further and say she's one of my favorite TV characters. (At various points, all of the Halliwells are on or close to making that list!) I've gushed in other threads about why I love her so much despite getting why others don't :) And there's a big part of me that always still loves her, even when it's a lot harder to in later seasons.  Which may be partly attributable to my UO that...

...Alysssa Milano's acting on this show is really underrated. I give her a lot of credit for taking a type of character who I usually don't like (the 'free spirited', uninhibited and super impulsive type) and imbuing her with so much genuine warmth, energy and joy that I found myself adoring her. I think she was particularly great with a lot of the comedic material, and some of her facial expressions are priceless!  

Another UO is that for some reason  I just don't care about Chris that much either way...?! I enjoyed some of his sassy one liners and all that, but I never felt the strong affection for him that most fans do or felt invested in his relationships with Piper, Leo and the other sisters. Don't hate me, please :) 

We've talked about this here and elsewhere, but every time I watch, I like Leo/Piper's dully depressing, annoyingly angsty relationship less and less and don't even think they have much chemistry or connection. When it gets to the point where I find myself honestly thinking that I wish she had chosen to be with Dan instead, you know things have gotten dire :) 

---I tend not to like those few episodes where Prue goes 'bad' or gets in touch with her wild side or whatever, and I've realized it's because I never fully buy her as this 'good girl' to begin with?! Due in part to the actress who plays her, Prue always comes off as a kind of badass, sassy, confident etc. woman to me who is very much in charge of the choices she makes rather than someone super repressed who's so burdened by responsibility and controlled by her superego that she never truly expresses herself, does what she wants, etc. In fact, I would definitely have bought Prue as having been 'bad' in the past----both in this life and in past lives!---than I do Phoebe. I don't think I'm expressing this well, but you guys probably expect that from me by now anyway! 

• Love 2

Amen, I agree completely concerning Chris. I found him dull and pointless. I guess he inherited those traits from his father. I'll go one step further in my unpopular opinion and say I was not sad the WB/CW did not greenlight a Charmed sons spinoff. Honestly, I found both Chris and Wyatt's actors to be weak in the acting department and couldn't imagine either carrying a show. I also thought the show wrote itself into a corner by making Wyatt entirely too powerful, and the fact that Chris and Wyatt shared some of the same powers (Orbing, telekinesis) was not interesting to me in the least. I still don't understand the writer's over reluctance on telekinesis in the show. I'm assuming it was a cheap power to showcase.This is compounded that I wouldn't want any Charmed endeavor to focus strictly on one sister. Charmed Sons would have been about Piper's legacy. What about Paige and Phoebe? While I loved Charmed and still consider it one of my favorite shows ever, I had no interest in this particular spin off.

This leads to another unpopular opinion. I was okay with the idea of a Billy spin off before I actually saw Kaley C. in action. Similar to the actors who played Chris and Wyatt, I found her pretty weak. (The popularity of Big Bang Theory shows I'm in the minority; although, honestly, I'm not a fan of her acting there either...or the show.) I'll also add that I hated that the writers show telekinesis for her power. Why not something a hell of a lot more unique to the Charmed universe. I actually think intangibility (think Kitty Pryde from the Xmen.) would have been a lot more interesting. They could have combined it with some type of martial arts training to make it a lot more interesting to view. 

I wanted a Pre-Charmed Grams/Patty Charmed spin-off. I love Grams and find her completely hilarious. I would have loved to have seen more of her in her younger days being a bad ass witch. I find Witchstock to be a highly entertaining episode because of Grams. *ducks tomatoes and butcher knives*

Amen, I agree about Prue. I don't think I've ever willingly chose to rewatch any of her "wild" episodes. I also think Bride and Gloom was a lot more entertaining because she was not shown to be evil for very long.. Speaking of, I find the Just Harried episode to be quite boring partly because of the wild and crazy and repressed Prue storyline. I never saw her as particularly repressed, and there were a lot of times we'd seen Prue have just as much fun as Phoebe. Piper seemed the most reserved - not repressed. Is it odd that I would go even a step further and say Prue seemed more repressed evil than normal to me? I think it was Shannon's acting, but she seemed a lot more monotone and straightforward when she's evil than when's she's regular Prue.

• Love 1

My UO is that I loved Piper the best and loved Leo as well.  (Not ducking as we are all such tolerant groupies!)  I know that there had to be conflict to supposedly keep us happy but some of that was the dithering back and forth in the later seasons with budget cuts and the "will he or won't he be back" writing.  I liked them as a couple and as parents as well.

However, adult Chris was a total waste.  I cannot fathom the reason he showed up at all.  Adult Wyatt was quite a looker so I didn't mind seeing him!

And don't even get me started on Billie and Christy.  What the hell was THAT?  It's like a totally different writing staff took over and tried to figure out how utterly ridiculous they could look.

Grams and Patty - now that prequel I know I would enjoy. I loved Grams. She had some great expressions.

• Love 2
(edited)

Awww, you know I often love Piper too, kohola! I totally see why you and many others would name her as a favorite and despite my ranting, I really do see why many would love the Piper-Leo pairing---lord knows it's refreshing to see two genuinely NICE, normal people (er, witch and angel, but still!) in a long term relationship since the TV landscape is so dominated by such troubled, toxic relationships and allegedly worthy 'bad boys' who we'd be well-advised to avoid in real life :) 

Grams and Patty - now that prequel I know I would enjoy. I loved Grams. She had some great expressions.

I agree with you guys that that would be awesome---and something I'd be a million times more interested in than anything having to do with Chris and/or Wyatt---but you reminded me of my unpopular opinion that I'm relatively indifferent to Patty. She just seems so flat and almost too perfect to seem like a real person to me...aside from the 'having a child by a man other than her husband' thing, that is, which I suppose does count as a major flaw ;) Anything involving Grams would have been a treat, though---and since we know she had a zillion or so husbands, the Charmed writers could have satisfied their compulsion to have a constant parade of love interests marching in and out of the show! 

Is it unpopular to dislike Coop...? I want to like him and want to believe that Phoebe found the right guy and all that. (I might have been even happier if she had ended the series single and happy about it, though these writers would never do that!) But Coop seemed even smarmier, slicker and more arrogant than HumanCole often did to me---(you know my unpopular opinion about preferring Cole evil or insane!) And, unlike with Phoebe/Cole, I didn't see a strong chemistry and connection between Phoebe and Coop at all, just a group of panicked writers trying to force the relationship so that every sister could end up happily married. They kept trying to sell the idea that Coop knows and gets Phoebe even better than Phoebe knows and gets herself, but he generally came off as smug, condescending and pushy in those scenes rather than 'romantic' or perceptive to me. 

I was OK with Coop but liked the other Fred Astaire dancing dude - is that Dex? - better.  Although honestly I thought they looked so much alike that I thought that Coop was the other guy resurrected.

• Love 1

Some of what you guys make me a little sad (major Chris fan here), but I totally understand and won't hate you guys for your controversial opinions!

I think I have some UOs to share.

First off, I wasn't really fond of Darryl. I guess he was ok, but they only gave him as an option for a non-family member who was in the know of the sisters while not being a love interest. I felt like I kind of had to accept him, but I found him too intense at times. 

I liked Grams, but I didn't love her. I know, I know! I wouldn't have wanted a prequel with her or Patty, which surprises me. I don't know what they'd really do with a prequel for the two of them. They'd need more reason for me to want something like that. I thought Grams was good, but she was too overprotective of the girls. In particular, I think she was a little too pushy with Paige, as much as I love that Grams wanted to get to know her. I wish Paige had taken more than an episode to come around to her. I know Paige never felt fully comfortable with Grams, but I think she gave in too easily. Everyone gave into Grams, actually, so I just wanted more people to stand up the woman, even when dead! 

Shannen and Alyssa are, for me, the strongest of the actors from that show. I think that it helps that they were veteran child actors, so they had plenty of experience on popular hit shows before Charmed. I never thought Holly was bad, and she did shine many times, as did Rose, but Shannen and Alyssa definitely had more versatility for me. That being said, I do think Piper was written kind of inconsistently for a while there. Piper seemed to lose that charm that she had before Prue died. It seemed like as soon as Prue died, the roles shifted so personalities had to be sacrificed. Piper became a lot more bitter, more headstrong and stubborn, and more cranky as the series went on. I did end up missing her introvertedness, as much as I enjoyed the fact that she got to come out of her shell. 

• Love 1

liked the other Fred Astaire dancing dude - is that Dex? - better

Hee---I think maybe you mean Drake? But I honestly always forget that Dex even exists, so it's entirely possible he's the one you're referring to and I'm just blocking it out :) I actually kind of loved Drake---he had the charisma and vaguely 'bad boy' charm that Phoebe gravitates to but was weirdly sweet too. If I could pick which of her many guys Phoebe would end up with, I think I'd pick Drake, which I'm guessing is unpopular! 

Drake, yeah, that's the one.  He was a  demon or ex-demon sent by Cole, right?  I thought that he an Phoebe were great together.  Wish he could have stuck around.

I guess I like Piper because I am a cranky pants myself.  People always say that they know where they stand with me because I don't do any of that fake nicey-nice stuff.

Am I the only one that thinks Drake and Coop resemble each other?  Not twins or anything but...

(Note, tried to attach photos but keep getting "over the limit" message although together they are WAY below the Kb allowed.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Someone mentioned Piper's introversion above, and as a fellow introvert I'd always identified Piper as an introvert too, but while rewatching for the mere billionth or so time, I'm developing the weird opinion that Prue is more of an actual introvert than Piper. There are vocal, confident introverts, which is how I'm now thinking of Prue, and quieter extroverts, which I think may include Piper. (Introversion/extroversion isn't about who's most talkative like I used to think!) Prue is more comfortable with and sometimes desiring of alone time and personal space than Piper; Prue likes to sort out things internally more than Piper, who generally consults with other people; Prue is the one in early season 1 who really doesn't want to go to the party and would rather relax on her own; while Piper may seem more reserved, it's actually Prue who holds back and internalizes most of her real emotions rather than readily expressing them. Piper is actually extremely relationship oriented, not just in terms of romantic relationships but with her family, etc. Piper is also the one who expresses the desire most often to socialize with outside non-Halliwell friends---Prue actually seems perfectly happy with very few (zero?!) friends and has admitted that she dates primarily because she feels she 'should' rather than because she enjoys it.   

First off, I wasn't really fond of Darryl.

You're not alone here---I'm generally indifferent to him. I guess it was nice to see the Halliwells interact with people other than one another, love interests and 'innocents', but I never felt that he connected with them all that well or that they were especially close and thought it was actually kind of amusing when once every couple of seasons the show would try to tell us that Daryl considered them 'like family' and vice versa. If anything, Daryl generally seemed pretty annoyed by them. It was beneficial on all sides to have some sort of alliance with a member of the police force, but I didn't feel really invested in Darryl or in his relationships with our Halliwells :) 

• Love 2

I agree that Darryl was just a necessary evil.  They had to have one outside friend and one who helped them with the long string of dead bodies was certainly a boon.  He did have a couple of funny lines, though. I always remember him asking if he was stepping on Phoebe's invisible baby.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/22/2016 at 5:18 PM, Kohola3 said:

I agree that Darryl was just a necessary evil.  They had to have one outside friend and one who helped them with the long string of dead bodies was certainly a boon.  He did have a couple of funny lines, though. I always remember him asking if he was stepping on Phoebe's invisible baby.

I always liked Darryl and I always wanted Phoebe to use her powers of premonition to help him solve cold cases, find missing children and hep him solve crimes in general...Phoebe could have really been an asset to him. It is a shame that the show never advanced her premonitions, so that she can help and heal others....I loved in season 1, how anvils were dropped about how the sisters' powers would grow organically, especially Phoebe..I always loved the episode the witch is back; because Melinda Warren told her that she would indeed be on the same level as her older sisters as time went on...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 7/21/2016 at 3:58 PM, 4evaQuez said:

Amen, I agree completely concerning Chris. I found him dull and pointless. I guess he inherited those traits from his father. I'll go one step further in my unpopular opinion and say I was not sad the WB/CW did not greenlight a Charmed sons spinoff. Honestly, I found both Chris and Wyatt's actors to be weak in the acting department and couldn't imagine either carrying a show. I also thought the show wrote itself into a corner by making Wyatt entirely too powerful, and the fact that Chris and Wyatt shared some of the same powers (Orbing, telekinesis) was not interesting to me in the least. I still don't understand the writer's over reluctance on telekinesis in the show. I'm assuming it was a cheap power to showcase.This is compounded that I wouldn't want any Charmed endeavor to focus strictly on one sister. Charmed Sons would have been about Piper's legacy. What about Paige and Phoebe? While I loved Charmed and still consider it one of my favorite shows ever, I had no interest in this particular spin off.

This leads to another unpopular opinion. I was okay with the idea of a Billy spin off before I actually saw Kaley C. in action. Similar to the actors who played Chris and Wyatt, I found her pretty weak. (The popularity of Big Bang Theory shows I'm in the minority; although, honestly, I'm not a fan of her acting there either...or the show.) I'll also add that I hated that the writers show telekinesis for her power. Why not something a hell of a lot more unique to the Charmed universe. I actually think intangibility (think Kitty Pryde from the Xmen.) would have been a lot more interesting. They could have combined it with some type of martial arts training to make it a lot more interesting to view. 

I wanted a Pre-Charmed Grams/Patty Charmed spin-off. I love Grams and find her completely hilarious. I would have loved to have seen more of her in her younger days being a bad ass witch. I find Witchstock to be a highly entertaining episode because of Grams. *ducks tomatoes and butcher knives*

Amen, I agree about Prue. I don't think I've ever willingly chose to rewatch any of her "wild" episodes. I also think Bride and Gloom was a lot more entertaining because she was not shown to be evil for very long.. Speaking of, I find the Just Harried episode to be quite boring partly because of the wild and crazy and repressed Prue storyline. I never saw her as particularly repressed, and there were a lot of times we'd seen Prue have just as much fun as Phoebe. Piper seemed the most reserved - not repressed. Is it odd that I would go even a step further and say Prue seemed more repressed evil than normal to me? I think it was Shannon's acting, but she seemed a lot more monotone and straightforward when she's evil than when's she's regular Prue.

I hated Bride and gloom because I hated that Prue and Piper turned Evil so easily...They should have been strong enough being more powerful than Phoebe, to fight through the urge to turn evil. Whereas, Phoebe should have succumbed through it and later overcome it with Cole's help..It would have made Phoebe more understanding of Cole's plight with his dark side..Not to mention, that she was always susceptible to evil due to her duality, established in season 1. It would have had more gravitas in the future, when she willingly turned evil to join Cole...I always wanted Evil Phoebe to fight Prue.....It would have been cathartic, due to their complicated relationship..

Long live the Queen should have taken place in season 5 as the 100th episode of Charmed culminating with Prue and Piper fighting Phoebe...At first, Piper would be reluctant to fight Phoebe like Paige. Prue would be steadfast in her belief that they had to stop Phoebe..Meanwhile Phoebe with her advanced premonitions would be one step ahead of her sisters. Prue and Piper would both use their advanced powers to counter that..It could have been very interesting to see....

Edited by Apprentice79
24 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I always liked Darryl and I always wanted Phoebe to use her powers of premonition to help him solve cold cases, find missing children and hep him solve crimes in general...Phoebe could have really been an asset to him. It is a shame that the show never advanced her premonitions, so that she can help and heal others....I loved in season 1, how anvils were dropped about how the sisters' powers would grow organically, especially Phoebe..I always loved the episode the witch is back; because Melinda Warren told her that she would indeed be on the same level as her older sisters as time went on...

I honestly thought that Phoebe going into the police force as some sort of consultant, through her psychology degree, was a much better fit than as an advice columnist. I never thought that her working through a newspaper was the right fit. It just felt like Phoebe was helping people, but there was always that barrier that she never crossed. Phoebe was always good at helping people, but in a more direct way. Having her help Darryl through the police force actually could have worked well. Sure, it would have ended up to be another cliche, but it would have given Darryl purpose, and I wouldn't have been so annoyed with Phoebe. Especially after Paige left her social work job, Phoebe could have stepped into a professional consultant role. I mean, they already tried with selling her as a psychic. Plus, she worked well with Darryl when they did give them scenes. Her premonitions plus her empathy really would have made her a great consultant and she would have been helping people directly, instead of through a newspaper. Even their attempts at making her 'famous' didn't sit right with me. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I honestly thought that Phoebe going into the police force as some sort of consultant, through her psychology degree, was a much better fit than as an advice columnist. I never thought that her working through a newspaper was the right fit. It just felt like Phoebe was helping people, but there was always that barrier that she never crossed. Phoebe was always good at helping people, but in a more direct way. Having her help Darryl through the police force actually could have worked well. Sure, it would have ended up to be another cliche, but it would have given Darryl purpose, and I wouldn't have been so annoyed with Phoebe. Especially after Paige left her social work job, Phoebe could have stepped into a professional consultant role. I mean, they already tried with selling her as a psychic. Plus, she worked well with Darryl when they did give them scenes. Her premonitions plus her empathy really would have made her a great consultant and she would have been helping people directly, instead of through a newspaper. Even their attempts at making her 'famous' didn't sit right with me. 

Exactly! Perfect post. I remember how in season 1, Phoebe's premonitions was such an asset in not only saving herself and her sisters, but, innocents as well..I loved the episode where she helped reunite that mother with her child due to a bracelet at Bucklands..Phoebe was at her best in season 1...I miss that Phoebe throughout the series..It was a true shame. In hindsight, Constance Burge was right in not wanting the character of Cole to come to the show..Phoebe lost her spark and uniqueness after her toxic romance with him...I often wonder how season 3 would have been like with Constance at the helm..Since 3 was the magical number in the series, I have a feeling that she would have made the sisters more powerful, wise and the sisterly relationship would always be at the forefront of the show..

• Love 1

I'm rewatching S7 and 1) actually liking a lot of it, which is unpopular in and of itself, 2) enjoying Paige/Kyle because I have terrible taste in relationships, 3) reminding myself of how much I love the cheesy low-rent-Harry-Potter magic school and how much I wish Paige had remained there as a teacher/counselor because it just seems like such a good fit for her talents and interests and because I think that could have opened up some really fun and interesting stories, if only in fanfic :) 

Right now I'd pick S7 over the seemingly much more popular S6 in a heartbeat and maybe even over the also far more popular S2, and that's not just because I like Phoebe's hair a lot more in S7, haha. (I do really like Drake, though, and find him way more interesting than Jason, which is another point in S7's favor!)

7 hours ago, amensisterfriend said:

I'm rewatching S7 and 1) actually liking a lot of it, which is unpopular in and of itself, 2) enjoying Paige/Kyle because I have terrible taste in relationships, 3) reminding myself of how much I love the cheesy low-rent-Harry-Potter magic school and how much I wish Paige had remained there as a teacher/counselor because it just seems like such a good fit for her talents and interests and because I think that could have opened up some really fun and interesting stories, if only in fanfic :) 

Right now I'd pick S7 over the seemingly much more popular S6 in a heartbeat and maybe even over the also far more popular S2, and that's not just because I like Phoebe's hair a lot more in S7, haha. (I do really like Drake, though, and find him way more interesting than Jason, which is another point in S7's favor!)

God, really? I've been planning to rewatch season 7 and hoping that my initial judgment on it has changed, but I'm just unsure. I remember liking some of the moments you've mentioned (Paige/Kyle was enjoyable for me, Magic School was great for me, and I loved Drake a whole hell of a lot; Show Ghouls is one of the only ones I remember and still like), but I think I'm in the minority of not liking Zankou, and I really, really detested the Avatars. I think season 7 is definitely a hit or miss with people. 

But maybe now that I'm older and know who most of the actors are (Oded Fehr is amazing but I had no clue who he was way back then) so who knows! 

I could have totally gone with counselor Paige, though. It would have fit with her degree as a social worker and it would have incorporated her love for magic. Why they had mortal Leo end up becoming a professor at Magic School, I have no flipping idea. 

Why they had mortal Leo end up becoming a professor at Magic School, I have no flipping idea.

...because the show pretty much never had any real idea of what to do with Leo or how to make him a remotely compelling character outside of being the significant other in an increasingly dreary, angst-soaked relationship and a convenient plot contrivance when someone suddenly needs magical healing or a liaison/errand boy between our world and the ever annoying "elders"?! Given that Paige is half-whitelighter and therefore has/should have those same powers even if not to the same degree, Leo's presence became even more superfluous for me in later seasons. I totally agree with you about him running the magic school not seeming like a good fit, but then I realized that I can't really say what I think IS a good fit for him because we still knew so relatively little about Leo's personality, passions, interests, likes and dislikes etc. Which is kind of ridiculous given how very many episodes he appeared in!  I think I'm just bitter because I so WANT to love Leo and Piper/Leo---I'm such a fan of genuinely nice, pleasant guys and they're an increasing rarity on TV :) But Leo was so flat and blah and Leo/Piper was so unpleasant more often than not for me. (Though I did like them when he first appeared in S1 and through much of S5...but that's, like, less than two full seasons out of an eight season show!)

but I think I'm in the minority of not liking Zankou, and I really, really detested the Avatars

Even as someone who just confessed to enjoying S7 this time around, I didn't like them either or find them interesting in and of themselves, but I do like some of the themes that were raised about the problems inherent in creating an allegedly utopic society and all that. Or maybe my real reason for enjoying S7 comes down to how much  adore Paige's hair this season because this show does tend to bring out my shallow side ;) 

We've mentioned this before, but my unpopular Cole opinion is that he was smarmy and kind of unlikable to me as a genuinely "good" human. Give me evil demonic Cole and/or S5's Crazy Cole any day. I shudder to think of what that says about me ;) 

• Love 1
(edited)

So I was just rewatching Give Me a Sign and realized that if one of the sisters had to have a recurring semi-demonic 'bad boy with good heart' love interest, I kind of would have preferred super responsible, controlled but not-so-secretly badass Prue to have more of an affair with a guy like Bane than so many episodes of Phoebe/Cole. While I did love the Phoebe/Cole chemistry and connection, I also like the idea of Phoebe, who's always fighting her tendencies to become 'evil' in other universes and past lives, choosing to be with an unabashedly sweet 'good guy' in the long run, maybe a geeky/nerdy introvert with a secret fun side. (And we needed more geeky/nerdy guys on this show in general because...well, because I love those kind of guys, haha) Or maybe part of it is that, no matter what the writing tells me about these characters, I buy Shannon Doherty's Prue as more of a potential 'bad' girl/wild child who could POTENTIALLY abuse her power and strength than I do Alyssa Milano's Phoebe, who comes off as such an amiable, borderline naive sweetheart to me despite her flaws and no matter how much of a 'rebel' she supposedly was in her youth. 

Every time I rewatch episodes from S2, I hope to love that season more, and maybe I've finally reached that goal :) While there are a lot of elements of this season that irk me (most notably establishing P3, which I couldn't possibly care less about, and the endless and painfully dull Dan/Piper/Leo stuff, which I'll rant about again in a second!), I've finally come around to the view that S2 does have some of the series' best individual episodes, and arguably features 'my' Phoebe---who we know I love to an unpopular degree!---at her very most likable of the entire series. 

Okay, so thanks in advance for indulging me while I rant about the Leo/Piper/Dan nonsense. I will freely admit that I've always hated love triangle storylines in general, which is no longer as unpopular an opinion as it used to be as more and more of my fellow book/TV lovers become heartily sick of them :) But if a show IS going to subject us to a love triangle, at least make the two characters (Leo and Dan) who are vying for the triangle's central point a bit more clearly distinct from each other! I get that Dan was probably supposed to represent the 'easier' mortal life Piper always wanted to leave while Leo represented the complex but rewarding supernatural destiny and all that, but, jeez, Leo and Dan seemed to have more or less the EXACT same personality...or lack thereof :) I fanwank that Dan was a little more assertive/direct while Leo was supposed to be more easygoing and cheery or....something, but really, the show did a pretty terrible job defining these characters IMO, and they didn't get any better at writing for Leo as the series wore on. And while we were supposed to love that Piper didn't choose the more 'normal life with Dan, the truth is that being with Leo WAS actually the easier choice in some ways because he already knew her major secret and was so familiar with the supernatural aspects of their lives, so her ultimate choice didn't have that 'yay, she bravely chose the harder route for the sake of true love!" feel that it was supposed to. And then there's the fact that for all the talk about their epic love, we rarely saw Piper and Leo ever actually BEING in love or even enjoying each other and getting to know each other especially well.  And then the Leo/Piper/Dan nonsense was inexplicably drawn out long past the point where Piper finally chose Leo---she's still fretting *constantly* about Dan, Dan is still fixated with finding out the truth about Leo, etc.  And then...okay I'll just say that even as love triangles go, this one is particularly frustrating and dull for me to watch :)  And if anything, I think Piper had more chemistry with Dan than with Leo...which says more about the amount of chemistry I think she had with Leo! 

I liked Leo, always have which maybe an opinion of one.  I do however wish they showed what he was interested in as far as hobbies and such. The most you get of his personality is that he is easy going, nice and cares a lot about people. My favorite scene between him and Piper is one where Leo sword fights to rescue Piper (and Phoebe) and it's "sexy" and a cute couple moment. And of course the proposal scene. I liked them as a couple and was happy and not remotely suprised when she picks Leo (of course it was very obvious).

I do wish they made Dan not completely perfect. It seems like in love triangle stories there "other" choice never has anything really wrong with them. I agree that Dan didn't have much of a personality and was good at everything.  They could have made him really into his job or something. So that way it wasn't just she loves Leo more. At the same time somehow made it less obvious that she would pick Leo.

I agree that ironically  Piper picking Leo was the easiest choice as well. He already knew about her and exists in the same "world" that she does. Which was good for a plot point going forward. Because past season 2, no more lying about why there was a cancelled date (at least for a relationship that mattered).

• Love 1

I liked Leo, always have which maybe an opinion of one. 

Table for 2.  I can never understand the hatred of him.  He was a whitelighter and had a specific job to do;  it's not like he could take a night off and go bowling.  The Charmed Ones were not his only charges, either.  I did enjoy the story of his time in WWII and would have liked to hear more about his past life.  The fact that he was married as a mortal was a bit of a shock.

• Love 1

I'm not sure I've ever seen hatred of Leo, just the idea that he was boring and poorly defined---and that his relationship with Piper became joyless and tiresome for many :) 

Is it unpopular to love that monkey episode from S2? I love that episode. Just watching the girls and Leo hold those monkeys is like an automatic mood lifter for me :) 

Is it unpopular to love that monkey episode from S2?

I love that episode and it contains my favorite line (also a topic in Charmed PTV) "Paige is proposing violence against the monkey".

Three!  I always liked Leo and think Brian Krause was at his best with any sister except Piper, though I think he sold Leo's love for her.  I really liked Leo helping Paige when she first appeared on the scene and then as she develops her whitelighter side.    "Witchstock" is a fun episode because Leo, Darryl and Chris have to work together and with a peace loving Grams, and the sisters with Grams in the 60's was a lot of fun.   I also enjoy Leo being infected with sloth in "Sin Francisco" and lazing around :) watching TV and eating chips.  Actually a gluttonous Piper is fun in this one too, buying everything in sight.

OK, so I watch Charmed when there's stuff going on in my life, so I've been watching on TNT.  Be prepared :)  Here are my UO:

Piper is my least favorite, though I think HMC is a good actress.  In S 1-2 she has weird, twitchy mannerisms that I guess are supposed to be endearing and convey a lack of confidence but are just annoying.   I found her arc after Prue's death completely understandable and actually compelling to watch, but she was never happy after that.   When given the option to reject magic forever, she doesn't take it - which of course not, we need it for the show - but then complains endlessly all the way to end of the series about her life; she's not happy being magical, not happy being not magical, not happy being married or single...her insistence that Wyatt go to a "normal" school was ridiculous in the extreme...and if I never hear the phrase "normal life" again I would be very happy.  It borders on character assassination that a different story line couldn't happen for her instead of nearly constant complaining and harping.   Charisma Carpenter's seer calls her "surly" which is about right.    I often wondered if she really loved Leo after their separation.  She seemed to have more fun with Dan except for the whole "hide who I am" thing.   I do love Piper beating up on Christie in "Forever Charmed" and am looking forward to that :)

I don't like Cole or Julian McMahon's portrayal of him.  Why is he always standing around with his mouth half open?  Is that supposed to be sexy?  I feel the opposite with him and Phoebe than with Piper/Leo - I believe Phoebe loved him but that he was just obsessed with her.  All the talk about his "good" human side fell flat - what proof was there of that?  He was born half human and half demon, not a good man who's been turned.  In "Centennial Charmed" he actually tells her "if I can't have you, no one can".  Yes, I know he was more evil then, I just never bought true love from them.   I will say that "Long Live the Queen" is one of the best episodes of the show. 

I like Phoebe all the way through the series - yes, her obsession with love and babies becomes tiresome, but I found Piper's constant complaining more tiresome and it went on much, much longer.  Plus Phoebe never threatened to not help someone who needed it (as Piper did in the episode with the little girl and the fairies) because she was in a snit at the Elders.  I don't like ALL of the sisters being so casual about innocents in trouble at the beginning of S8 (which I've just started on TNT, I know I missed some of the eps when they first aired) but they're coming around so I don't mind it as much.     I thought Phoebe was at her best in a relationship with Jason and then with Drake - though the show ruined that by bringing Cole in AGAIN.  At least he didn't stay around long.   I liked that Leo, after realizing the Avatars were not what they wanted, went to Phoebe for help.  AM always managed to retain that empathetic, warm side to Phoebe.  It would have been nice to not stick her with Coop and have her just be happy with who she was.  I mean, it's not like she was past menopause, babies could still come.  Plus I loved her apartment in S8, it was beautiful.

I'm finding I don't hate Billie yet but I know Christie is coming and then she will be unbearable; I just watched the episode where the sisters infect themselves with a virus to save her and could have died themselves.  How quickly she will forget LOL.

Prue is my favorite sister and I liked her with Jack - not as LTR material, but as someone uncomplicated that she could have fun with.  I figure she was with Roger when we meet her because he was what she thought she was supposed to want and was too busy to realize how icky he was.  After their initial hookups, she was never with Andy enough afterwards for me to feel like she did love him.  I liked her gradual loosening up and LOVED her casual wardrobe as she got into photography.   It's actually bittersweet to watch this almost 20 yr old show and feel sad to hear the character talk about having a family and know it will never happen.  So kudos to the show - really, all the actresses sold the sisterly relationship - for that.

Any body/personality episode is tedious to watch when the other sisters don't recognize the switch.  They just come off looking dumb.  There's one where Phoebe & Paige switch bodies and thankfully Piper gets it pretty soon.    There are a couple where Phoebe is switched and no one gets it until the end even though she is acting so differently.   I know it's supposed to be wacky or whatever but it just makes the others look not very smart or aware.

You can really see the disservice done in the writing as the show goes on.  Paige starts off determined and then becomes kind of flaky.   I love her conviction in "Long Live the Queen" to vanquish Cole even though she and Piper may die.   There's an episode after that where Paige's storyline is will she have an orgasm?? I mean really??  Come on!   I do like her with Henry, there was instant chemistry there.  I would have watched a Paige and Henry show. 

I liked Victor and that apparently he and Chris have a good relationship.   Chris annoyed me much less this time around then when I first watched his season, though his acting is pretty bad. 

I liked Darryl in the beginning but less as the show went on and the sisters were really taking him for granted.  He's much, much better than the block of wood that is Agent Murphy in S8 though.

Wow, re-watching there are so many actors I recognize - Jamie Pressly, Norman Reedus, Corey Stoll, Zachary Quinto, John Cho of course.

The Cleaners were a terrible idea to come up, for all of the obvious reasons.  Now in S8 one of the Elders tells Piper (I think) that the Cleaners won't help them anymore but I don't know why, and I've been watching all of these episodes.  I know TNT edits them but really there is some sloppy writing going on.  That counts any episode this late in the series where the sisters are thrown in a new situation and don't know how to act, accidentally giving away their cover...ugh, I hate anything that makes them look dumb.  I do like pretty much any time travel episode, even if it's a contradiction to what I just said :)

Jeez, that was long winded!!  I'm trying to avoid vacuuming and been thinking about this a while :D

Edited by raven
  • Love 3
(edited)

Oh, wow, I get so irrationally happy when people chime in with UOs! Raven, you should avoid housework more often---I loved reading your thoughts :) 

I always liked Leo and think Brian Krause was at his best with any sister except Piper

ITA that he was more likable around other sisters. Both Leo and Piper tended to be least likable and interesting around each other, at least IMO :) 

I also enjoy Leo being infected with sloth in "Sin Francisco" and lazing around :) watching TV and eating chips.

I'm obsessed with that episode---I've literally lost count of how many times I've watched it---and it's actually the most entertaining and enjoyable I ever found Leo! 

Piper is my least favorite, though I think HMC is a good actress.  In S 1-2 she has weird, twitchy mannerisms that I guess are supposed to be endearing and convey a lack of confidence but are just annoying.   I found her arc after Prue's death completely understandable and actually compelling to watch, but she was never happy after that.   When given the option to reject magic forever, she doesn't take it - which of course not, we need it for the show - but then complains endlessly all the way to end of the series about her life; she's not happy being magical, not happy being not magical, not happy being married or single...her insistence that Wyatt go to a "normal" school was ridiculous in the extreme...and if I never hear the phrase "normal life" again I would be very happy.  It borders on character assassination that a different story line couldn't happen for her instead of nearly constant complaining and harping.   Charisma Carpenter's seer calls her "surly" which is about right.    I often wondered if she really loved Leo after their separation.  She seemed to have more fun with Dan except for the whole "hide who I am" thing

As you can probably see from my other posts, I agree with so much of this. I get why Piper is generally the most 'popular' sister among fans, and I'm usually one to love and relate to fiction's snarky introverts, but her nonstop complaining and criticizing just gets so tiresome to watch. She becomes just such a joyless downer of a character, and maybe I could have sympathized more if it were deliberately depicted as clinical depression---lord knows that's something I relate to---but instead it just seems like the acting and writing combined to make her such a perpetually prickly, malcontent nag in the name of becoming 'tougher' and more assertive or something, which never quite worked for me. I also agree that HMC tended to have this really clipped, snippy delivery that made her sound even more surly and never-not-annoyed than she might have otherwise (not unlike Shannen D. in a way, though I like Prue much more than Piper.) I do think HMC is good at portraying surprising emotional depth when the scene calls for it and do like and 'get' her more than I used to overall, but I'm definitely with you on the very UO that she's my least favorite sister...in part because of how much I love the others :) Which leads me to...

I like Phoebe all the way through the series - yes, her obsession with love and babies becomes tiresome, but I found Piper's constant complaining more tiresome and it went on much, much longer.  

Can I just say that it makes my day to find a fellow Phoebe fan?! As I mention way too often, I absolutely adore her. I love her even more in early seasons, but I can never truly dislike her. Her warmth, energy, and enthusiasm is a surprisingly big part of what makes this show such an infectiously enjoyable pleasure for me to watch. 

I believe Phoebe loved him but that he was just obsessed with her.

I do (mostly!) enjoy Cole and the Phoebe/Cole dynamic, though I've already confessed to enjoying him more when he's evil and/or crazy, but I'm among the few Cole/Phoebe fans who's glad they didn't end up together. As you noted, they had this toxic, unhealthy, obsessive dynamic, and I actually respect Charmed a lot for being among the very few shows to essentially be like 'yes, you can have this 'epic' love story with tons of passion, but it doesn't always end with the supposed good girl successfully reforming the bad boy and living happily ever after---sometimes even when there's a ton of passion and even love, the two people involved are not destined to end up together. 

Prue is my favorite sister and I liked her with Jack - not as LTR material, but as someone uncomplicated that she could have fun with.

I love Prue a whole lot as well, and her relationship with her sisters---and particularly Phoebe---will always mean way too much to me :) And while rewatching parts of S2 recently, I..disliked Jack less, so there's that ;) Seriously, I actually love the idea of Prue with someone like Jack---a lighthearted, benignly vain, funloving extrovert---but he just came off so smarmy to me for some reason. 

I liked her gradual loosening up

Yeah, I was surprised to realize recently that even though I prefer the auction house as a setting to her photography career, I love Prue more in S2 and S3 than I did in S1. I wish she'd been a journalist or photographer for a local paper---preferably the crime section. I just always adore the idea of Prue crusading against crime and injustice :) 

Chris annoyed me much less this time around then when I first watched his season, though his acting is pretty bad.

Heh---yeah, the actor is gorgeous (IMO, obviously) and there is something I sometimes find likable about him, but the acting can be very subpar :) 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, amensisterfriend said:

. I wish she'd been a journalist or photographer for a local paper---preferably the crime section. I just always adore the idea of Prue crusading against crime and injustice :) 

I could see her going this route - I do wonder what would have been in store for her if she had lived.  I can't picture her not wanting to directly help people in some way.  I've thought that she was almost too powerful and I could see her being de-powered at some point, with a how-does-it-affect her arc.   When I watched "All Hell Breaks Loose" a few weeks ago, I hadn't remembered that she pushed to go after Shax when Piper was more hesitant (there's that pride from Sin Francisco!) and if time hadn't been re-set she would have died along with Piper - there's a bullet right in front her before everything rewinds. 

2 hours ago, amensisterfriend said:

the two people involved are not destined to end up together. 

I was happy that when Phoebe decided she was done with him that she stuck to it.  Not just because I'm not a Cole fan :) but because it would have reinforced what ultimately was an unhealthy relationship.  It also made sense that she would be more hesitant about future relationships.  I think I find one reason I like Phoebe, along with those that you mentioned, is because AM had good comic timing and usually seemed to be having fun.  

I agree with what you said about HMC's clipped delivery - it made what could have been a benignly snarky comment seem mean.   She could hit the dramatic bits, so I wonder if it was her intention to be that way (mean) rather than a more lighthearted roll-the-eyes kind of moment.  I didn't remember her being quite this way, so rewatching now when I'm older, it really strikes me that she just seems an unhappy and nagging character most of the time.   I wish they would have explored married life with her a bit longer before bringing on motherhood.

but the acting can be very subpar :) 

LOL, to be fair, adult Wyatt isn't much better - actually most of the guest male actors are pretty bad, especially the love interests who all seem cut from a bland male-model kind of cloth.  There were some exceptions with the guests - Billy Zane was warm and funny as Drake, Eric Dane's Jason had a nice dynamic with Phoebe (though I couldn't see her with him long term, their first "I love you" was touching) hell, even Norman Reedus before I realized it was him made an impression as ultimately-an-ass guy that Paige dated a couple of times (he was married and didn't tell her) - and everyone remembers John Cho!  These are guys who still get good roles; most of the others not so much.  

Ugh, the site logged me out while I was posting!  Thanks for the kind words, amensisterfriend, I've been watching the show a lot so things are fresh in my mind.  Obviously the show made an impression on at least a few of us and I think a lot of credit goes to all four women, they always portrayed the sister relationship believably. 

Edited by raven
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, amensisterfriend said:

Is it unpopular to love that monkey episode from S2? I love that episode. Just watching the girls and Leo hold those monkeys is like an automatic mood lifter for me :) 

I was about to say, "I hope not!" but then I realized that if I legitimately like this show I've stopped caring what people think a long time ago...I freaking love "Astral Monkey" and I am not ashamed.

Both "Astral Monkey" and its precursor, "Awakened," are pretty underrated episodes, imo (and I'm assuming this is unpopular because I pretty much never see either one being talked about). "Awakened" was, I think, a really important episode for this show to have: the sisters are faced with a non-magical life-or-death situation and suffer consequences (if only for a little bit) when they try to solve it with their powers. I love how there's no demon, that the only "bad guy" is the doll that wakes up as a side effect of Prue and Phoebe's spell. And they never even find out about it!

But then the consequences spring up big time in "Astral Monkey" when Dr. Williamson accidentally gets injected with their powers and can't handle them and goes on a killing spree (no matter how "well-intentioned") and the sisters have to kill him. It brings up a lot of interesting questions. Can the sisters kill a mortal when their lives (or the lives of innocents) are in danger? Do they have a responsibility to save said mortal if their actions indirectly led to his crimes? What if it's a split second decision, them or him? It's a theme I wish had sprung up more often in the series.

In general I'm partial to episodes that try to examine the balance that the sisters have to strike between being witches and women. Take "Sight Unseen" for example...not a particularly great episode, imo, but besides the demonic shenanigans, the sisters are faced with a very human crisis (crazed stalker) and are so used to their problems being demonic that they don't take enough time to seriously consider the dangers that come with being young women in a city and are almost too late to stop Abbey from killing Prue. Idk, those kinds of episodes really speak to me, and it's not something you see in a lot of supernatural dramas that are simultaneously rooted in the "real world."

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I was about to say, "I hope not!" but then I realized that if I legitimately like this show I've stopped caring what people think a long time ago...I freaking love "Astral Monkey" and I am not ashamed.

Both "Astral Monkey" and its precursor, "Awakened," are pretty underrated episodes, imo (and I'm assuming this is unpopular because I pretty much never see either one being talked about). "Awakened" was, I think, a really important episode for this show to have: the sisters are faced with a non-magical life-or-death situation and suffer consequences (if only for a little bit) when they try to solve it with their powers. I love how there's no demon, that the only "bad guy" is the doll that wakes up as a side effect of Prue and Phoebe's spell. And they never even find out about it!

But then the consequences spring up big time in "Astral Monkey" when Dr. Williamson accidentally gets injected with their powers and can't handle them and goes on a killing spree (no matter how "well-intentioned") and the sisters have to kill him. It brings up a lot of interesting questions. Can the sisters kill a mortal when their lives (or the lives of innocents) are in danger? Do they have a responsibility to save said mortal if their actions indirectly led to his crimes? What if it's a split second decision, them or him? It's a theme I wish had sprung up more often in the series.

In general I'm partial to episodes that try to examine the balance that the sisters have to strike between being witches and women. Take "Sight Unseen" for example...not a particularly great episode, imo, but besides the demonic shenanigans, the sisters are faced with a very human crisis (crazed stalker) and are so used to their problems being demonic that they don't take enough time to seriously consider the dangers that come with being young women in a city and are almost too late to stop Abbey from killing Prue. Idk, those kinds of episodes really speak to me, and it's not something you see in a lot of supernatural dramas that are simultaneously rooted in the "real world."

I love your post and it is why I always have a love for season 1 and season 2 because I love the aspect about the sisters being flawed human beings who happen to be witches...I feel that was lost after Prue's death and the subsequent seasons..I always wanted the sisters to face more human foes like it was hinted at with Morality bites.....Pratt should have come back as a nemesis to the sisters, especially Phoebe...I also feel that we had a variety of demons with different powers in the first 2 seasons...In the later seasons, all of the demons threw fire balls and teleport....It used to irk me how the demons could easily invade their home with impunity..The Charmed ones domain should have been impenetrable by evil, as the sisters got more powerful, with their combined 9 powers as promised by Constance Burge, they should have been scary to take on by  demons and warlocks...

Edited by Apprentice79

I've been sick and nothing cheers me up like rewatching this show, so unfortunately for you guys I have a few more UOs :) 

1) My deep and occasionally irrational love for Phoebe---especially but definitely not only the Phoebe of earlier seasons---is well-documented, but I recently realized that I actually think Alyssa Milano is my (presumably unpopular!) pick for the show's best actress. Maybe she was just an ideal fit for that particular role, but she adds such warmth, sincere charm and lovability to a character I would otherwise feel more ambivalent about, and I think she does such a phenomenal job with comedic material.

2) So keeping some of the very insightful posts here in mind, I can't stop wondering whether the series would have been better without Leo. As I've said, it's not like I hate Leo---it's always refreshing to see a genuinely nice guy as a TV love interest, though the writing and acting combine to make Leo awfully bland sometimes. But as others have pointed out, having Leo as a kind of panacea---he knows all, can magically heal all, is there to 'guide' them etc---often robbed us of the opportunity to watch the sisters explore, research and uncover things on their own. Instead of taking a more proactive role in figuring things out and getting into situations along the way that we might have found interesting, the show so often reverted to having them just repeatedly shout Leo's name and wait for him to provide the answers in clunky exposition or flat back up to consult with the elders (who I'm not sure needed to be a part of the show either, by the way!) I mean, I get that the alternative often would have entailed just watching the sisters consult the Book of Shadows, which isn't necessarily any more interesting than having Leo reel off exposition about the magical world, but if given a choice, I would have liked to see our empowered Halliwells figure more out on their own. And then there's the theory that Piper's storylines, relationships and even overall character/personality could have been even more enjoyable and interesting without Leo around.  I get that she was very relationship-oriented and wanted a 'normal', traditional life with a husband and kids, so I'm certainly not against her having a long-term relationship for so much of the series, but I think maybe her personality could have been highlighted more if that relationship were with someone a little more charismatic and interesting. And the writers' need to keep creating conflict and drama in their relationship might have reared its head no matter who Piper was dating, but the whole 'constantly discontent and nagging Leo while she's with him, even more negative and miserable without him' thing just gets tiring to watch, and so many of her storylines end up almost exclusively about Leo rather than other aspects of her character that might have been more interesting.    

3) So I recently rewatched S2's They're Everywhere, and I'm now in possession of the very unpopular and downright obscure opinion that Phoebe had more chemistry and a natural sort of connection with Eric Bragg than any of her other love interests. (I realize that normal non-me people probably have no recollection of who Eric Bragg even is :) He was Phoebe's potential love interest in that one episode!) If you ever see a lone, random Phoebe/Eric-who-no-one-else-even-recalls fanfic floating around, you guys will know I wrote it! At least now I totally relate to how people started rooting for Piper/Mark Chao after just one episode and why some even still wish they'd ended up together. Maybe some of us tend to fall for characters and potential romances that aren't around enough for TV writers to ruin?! 

4) From Fear to Eternity, which I don't think I've ever seen mentioned on any of our 'best of...' lists, has become one my top 2-3 favorites of S1. The parts with Piper and the random love interest who she drives away due to excessive superstition is pretty dumb---and Piper in general seems out of character that episode, since even when she's more generally anxious/vulnerable/insecure in earlier seasons, she's still pretty grounded and pragmatic IMO---but I really love the rest of it. 

5) It's kind of pathetic just how much I love this show despite its flaws :) 

• Love 1

I don't even want to know what this says about me and my taste in guys, but I think I've decided that my favorite of Prue's love interests was...*ducks*....Bane. She just seemed to connect and have this chemistry with him that IMO she didn't really have with the other guys in her life, including Andy. I love their discussion about dreams---Prue needs a dreamer in her life :) I mean, I'm thinking of a generally REFORMED Bane, of course, but as far as formerly evil boyfriends who the girls care about but aren't sure they should trust go, I might have ended up preferring Prue/Bane to Phoebe/Cole if Bane had popped up on the show a little more often :) 

• Love 1
(edited)

Bane was gorgeous. Team Bane.

I'm so excited that I'm not alone in sailing on the guilty pleasure Prue/Bane "'ship"! I feel like they could have really complemented each other, challenged each other, and just been fun and occasionally even touching to watch. And Prue seemed to have more chemistry with him than any guy they paired her with. Plus, dating him would have given us a lot of the interesting 'can you TRULY trust that formerly bad people/demons/etc have changed for the better?' themes and storylines that the show was fond of, and in a potentially less tiresome way than Phoebe/Cole :)   

I probably say this because I started watching in season 2 so I don't have the love of Andy some people do.

The more I rewatch, the more I share your UO re being indifferent to Andy and the Prue/Andy dynamic. For starters, Andy was kind of like Leo with a badge to me: a decent, good guy but with no discernible personality traits and therefore not especially compelling as a fictional character. IMO, he was played by a fairly attractive but, um, perhaps not overly gifted actor :) I like in theory that Prue/Andy had all this history, but we don't learn much at all about their past love and connection---or even how they really click in the present. As is typical with TV romances, there's far more conflict, time apart and general 'issues' than happy moments. Plus---and this may be because of the (IMO) woodenness of the actor---they usually just seemed kind of forced and devoid of chemistry IMO.  

I recently did a Charmed poll on Tumblr (because I am the oldest Tumblr user in the known galaxy!) and was surprised that Andy/Prue got some votes as the show's very best romantic relationship. Then again, maybe on Charmed---as with most shows---that's a pretty low bar :) 

On 11/8/2016 at 11:47 AM, amensisterfriend said:

Andy was kind of like Leo with a badge to me: a decent, good guy but with no discernible personality traits

I disagree - at least in the beginning of the series, Andy was a bit of a Mulder knock off.  In the pilot he was open minded about the occult/wicca and believed there was more to what the average [mortal] sees.  

I do agree that Bane and Prue becoming an item could have been interesting if done long term, but being human he would have been vulnerable.  Not to mention being a [reformed] criminal could have complicated things.    

• Love 1

I just watched a few early season 6 episodes which leads me to my unpopular opinion. I liked Phoebe's empathy, and I wish the show could have incorporated it in a better fashion. While I hate that the show let Phoebe channel other powers through demon's emotions, I did like the display of her empathy in Love's A Witch. I like how it created natural conflict within the sisters, and I like how it gave us a little more insight into the sisters' motivations. The empathy also gave Alyssa Milano a chance to flex her comedic chops while naturally blending dramatic tension within the storyline. Also, I'll say that empathy made Phoebe a lot less selfish which seems to be the biggest complaint about the character after season three. 

Also, I wish the show had found another way to write Phoebe's empathy into the show while still building the Chris arc. I realize it would be more difficult for Chris to keep secrets if Phoebe can feel his emotions, but I'll argue that knowing someone's emotions is completing different from knowing someone's thoughts and motivations. I think they could have made Chris' prominent emotion fear and anxiousness. This could have created dramatic tension because Phoebe would know he's not being completely honest and he's untrustworthy, but he easily could explain those emotions away as being fearful for his future. Personally, the show easily could have removed Jason from season 6 and focused more on Phoebe being suspicious of Chris and his future and trying to discover the truth. Basically, Phoebe should have had Leo's season 6 storyline without Leo's constant flip flopping.

• Love 2