Type keyword(s) to search

Dutch: Badass Lady Bounty Hunter

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

Here's the character description from Space's official press release.

Hannah John-Kamen stars as the gorgeous, complicated, and deadly Dutch. A top-level Killjoy, she’s a much loved and charming presence in her community, with a unique gift for earning people’s trust and respect regardless of their class. Under her banter and protective flirtations, there is pain, maturity, and a deep solemnity resulting from a dark secret past.

Me too!  From the backstory teases, it seems to be heading towards a Black Widow-type situation.  

I think Dutch has proven to be more interesting in a single episode than years of Black Widow in comics (and don't even get me started on MCU Black Widow).

• Love 3

So, Dutch - or rather Hanna John Kameen - took a holiday in Essos across the Narrow Sea. Apparently she was in the last episode as well but I did not notice her. But once she had some dialogue this week I immediately recognized her. Too bad she wasn't allowed to go all Dutch on the Khals' asses but Daenerys took care of them for good. I wonder if she's in more episodes.

• Love 1
On May 16, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Iamsweetdee said:

What is this other Canadian (??) show she is in? Something like Tunnel?

Anglo French.  She's playing a domestic terrorist on the second series of The Tunnel, which is an adaptation of The Bridge.  (While we're talking about the show, having watched both The Tunnel and the US The Bridge I find The Tunnel to be the stronger show, on the strength of Clemence Poesy's acting and the writing for her character.

On 16.05.2016 at 6:22 PM, MissLucas said:

So, Dutch - or rather Hanna John Kameen - took a holiday in Essos across the Narrow Sea. Apparently she was in the last episode as well but I did not notice her. But once she had some dialogue this week I immediately recognized her. Too bad she wasn't allowed to go all Dutch on the Khals' asses but Daenerys took care of them for good. I wonder if she's in more episodes.

Really? Whom was she playing? I didn't recognize her. Was she one of khal's wives?

She was the young Khaleesi who told Daenerys the story how the Dothraki raided her village, how the Khal found her hidden in a well, 'married' her and then broke her ribs when she gave birth to a daughter.

• Love 1

Borrowing from my own post over in the Killjoys forum section on Reddit...........

Am I watching a different show than everyone else, or does Dutch seem a bit all over the place in the emotional sense, as well as sense of conviction?

•  Saw 'herself' in the mirror, at the start of W,W W
  •  Hallucinated herself (& Khlyen) while cutting her stomach open because she believed she had the Level 6 green-goo inside her  [granted, this was likely brought on by the 'angry vagina' mossipedes] 
  •  Almost kissed Alvis, before Lucy interrupted them, and then in the next episode they had another bit of a 'moment'
  •  Has now (at least) twice shown signs of some Grade-A jealousy towards Pawter, and not understanding what Johnny sees in her
  •  Has given up hating Khlyen and now feels adrift because it was what she was so used to before
  •  Grabs and clutches tightly to Johnny while making the declaration to him that he's "her gravity", and then pretty much openly implies that if he chooses to be with Pawter, he's pretty much shitting all over whatever it is they have going on between themselves, be it the very best of friends or more than that

When I say Dutch seems "all over the place", I don't mean that in a bad way or meant to bash her character;  its just a big switch from the first season (IMO), when she seemed to have everything pretty well locked down, in the emotional sense as well as conviction about herself and the roles that people in her life filled as she believed in them. 

Just something I've picked up and have been noticing about the character so far this season.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

^^^All true, but I think it just means she's suffering hero as well as conquering hero. Both at the same moment is a bit of a trick, but the wonderful thing about scifi for a certain kind of writer is that you don't have to be tied down by plausibility of any sort.

if he chooses to be with Pawter, he's pretty much shitting all over whatever it is they have going on between themselves, be it the very best of friends or more than that

They've committed to being family together, and being each other's emotional supports, regardless of whether there's romance. D'avin (I keep wanting to call him D'erwood) was off limits because of the brother complication. Johnny has no problem with her sleeping with/being romantic with Alvis, just with D'umdum. Similarly, Dutch doesn't want Johnny leaving or changing his core identity from Killjoy to resistance fighter, regardless of whether he's shagging Princess HarryPawter. What's at stake is that core family and that core emotional connection. Season 1 handled the ripples from D'arwin showing up in their lives: from the level 5 bounty through sleeping together through him trying to murder everyone through the Killjoy Divorce. Now Johnny's being tempted with a completely different life. He's Dutch's rock. I don't think she cares whether it's Pawter or not (although I do get the sense that they're not exactly close) but that her Johnny is being lured away.

• Love 1

After re-watching the season (to date, 1-8) in the last couple nights, I have some personal speculations & theories as to what we've seen so far;

I really don't want Dutch and Aneela to be the same woman, but (upon further study and introspection) its looking increasingly likely - unless thoughts & memories are all transferred to clones when created.  I think what we've been seeing [since E1], is the (mentally) locked-away Aneela 'waking up' or bleeding out even more into Dutch's consciousness;  after remembering parts of S1, I think Aneela was there all the time, at least in 'memories'.  And I think it all started toward the very beginning of the season;  when Dutch first tried to force Lucy through the force field around Arkyn, she ended up with a nose bleed.  Both John & Pree were affected as well, but were only sweaty and a bit shaken.  Maybe the radiation altered/'broke' something in her brain and the walled-off Aneela found a slowly-progressing way out.  Looking back, they should have ran a brain-scan on her - after 'dealing with' Sabine - to make absolutely sure she didn't have a tiny dose of green goo in it like Sabine's did after most of hers was D'aved out of her.

Putting all the little 'weird' things together after that hypothesis makes a lot more sense;  'Aneela' in the mirror at the start of E2, the whole hallucination/stomach cutting business in E3.  IF Dutch is a clone of Aneela, how is it she remembers being a child?  I know its been mentioned, more than once, that Khlyen has ways of implanting/changing memories, but it makes more sense if her memories of being a child were of Aneela's childhood [yes, from ~220 years ago], and not her own (Dutch).

The historical ages mentioned [no scarbacks on Arkyn for over 200 years, San being 432 y/o & Khlyen being around 'since the beginning' of the RAC/Level6] might not be direct tie-ins to proving Dutch=Aneela, but they are meaningful bits of info/clues. 

Not to be crude - but if Dutch's got green goo in her that should have manifested itself after/during her tryst with D'Avin. I guess there are ways to explain why no green goo leakage occurred (not enough of the stuff in her system, D'Avin's anti-green-goo force-field not yet fully activated etc.) but I still don't like the idea.

The hallucinations are definitely a good argument against Dutch being a clone though. Unfortunately the only alternative theory I could come up with is reincarnation and I'm not a fan of that one either.

Edited by MissLucas

The scifi convention that instant duplicates of people are "clones" is pretty common. But it's just a hand waving way of having mysterious doubles, like Poe's William Wilson, doppelgangers. Real clones are when the same DNA of an existing organism is part of a new cell that grows into a new, genetically identical organism. The classic example of course is identical twins, where the zygote splits, each with the same DNA. But each cell then grows normally into a new person. Strictly speaking, every scifi movie or TV show that has the clones being identical but doesn't talk about rapid aging is misusing the term. The underestimated Stargate SG-1 even managed to use this to have an excuse for a boy version of Jack O'Niell, when the rapid aging didn't work right. Even The Island knew enough to incorporate rapid aging. 

The upshot is that Dutch/Yala as a clone of Aneela would be a different person, just like natural clones (identical twins) are. And she would grow up as a child and always be younger than the clone source. In this case, Aneela might be identical but solely because the sap keeps her young and Dutch/Yala has caught up to her even without rapid aging.

• Love 1

sjohnson, so you're positing that Dutch is an artificially "birthed & grown" clone/twin from Aneela's DNA?

Definitely interesting.  Like that idea more than Dutch&Aneela being one and the same, honestly.  Not quite sure how it all ties in with the hallucinations, but conceivable.

That idea just made my mind's HDD spin up and think its very plausible because what if Aneela was given the goo (~225 years ago), and went insane & rogue, thus Khlyen wanting Dutch to hunt her down and kill her?  {Don't know why now, unless she's either The Lady and/or she's a major part of this coming war by outside-the-Quad invaders we keep hearing about.} 

In E7, Sabine explained to Dutch that not all L6 participants came out 'perfect', some couldn't handle the change and went crazy.  So, I'm wondering if the actual daughter (Aneela) was put through the process but because she wasn't 'broken' enough, it didn't work right - would somewhat explain her slaughtering Scarbacks and being feared as 'The Devil'.  Somehow Khlyen had the necessary DNA to create a clone and now that Aneela needs to be dealt with, Khlyen can't kill his own daughter so leaves it to Dutch and her team.  Being an almost exact-replica clone of his daughter would explain all the parental-like qualities than Khlyen displays towards Dutch.

• Love 1