Type keyword(s) to search

Killjoys in the Media

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

New SYFY show debuting June 19th from the producers of Orphan Black and Lost Girl. Official show description: "Killjoys follows a fun-loving, hard-living trio of interplanetary bounty hunters as they chase deadly warrants throughout the Quad, a distant system on the brink of a bloody, multi-planetary class war."

I read the pilot script and was really impressed. Badass female lead, good character dynamics/setup, good conflict, Big Bad/longer arc established. It seems like it could be a lot of fun.

Here's the trailer:

(edited)

I just found out about this show. The trailer is intriguing. I hope that show is as good. I recognize the lead actress from some British shows. She is pretty and sexy.

Edited by SimoneS

From the previews, I am definitely looking forward to this. I loved BSG and am looking forward to The Expanse (huge fan of the books) so this seems right up my alley. Can't wait!

From the previews, I am definitely looking forward to this. I loved BSG and am looking forward to The Expanse (huge fan of the books) so this seems right up my alley. Can't wait!

Woah! Slow down... they're making the Expanse into a show? Hooow did I not know this? I don't know when the last time I was so excited about a show was.

I guess this is kinda media/publicity related. I just wanted to express disappointment that SyFy isn't taking Killjoys to Comic Con, especially since they're doing a panel for Dark Matter.

I used to like Haven and still watched it, but it definitely changed a lot, in the final legs "Well, gotta have some plot for this season!" way. I wasn't interested in the ratings, just trying to watch the show was enough to think the end was looming and deserved. And actor contracts negotiations, maybe? It was pretty clearly a decisions they all knew about and they got the chance to wrap it all up. As a new show with most of its mysteries just starting to unfold, Killjoys isn't in the same situation. I wonder how expensive it is though.

Edited by Crim

TTVJ: In regards to Khylen, can you give us any more information on what being a Level 6 Killjoy means?

LM: I can’t really give you a whole bunch of information. I’ll say this adjunctly, it’s interesting because a lot of people have been saying, ‘well where are the aliens?’ They’ve been asking that of our show. Just maybe think of that in relationship to your question. If I’m being particularly cagey it’s because I’m being intentionally cagey. [laughs]

Wait, WUT???  So maybe there's more to Khlyen and Turin's similar healing ability than meets the eye... 

Source.

Edited by Wynterwolf

There is also an interesting discussion there about Macfarlane's take on D'avin's side of the abandonment question.  I'm never sure what the rules are about other sites etc so people should look if they are interested.

Are you talking about his speculation that D'avin took the brunt of the beatings from their father?  Both he and Aaron have talked about that before in interviews, that they both hold that personal headcannon... it will be interesting to see if they eventually use that on screen.  

@wynterwolf

Yes, i was thinking of that speculation about D'avin and the abuse since it certainly would make him a more complex and sympathetic character.

The interview with the showrunner is also interesting for shooting down the UST arguments about Dutch and John.

• Love 1

The mouth of the producer is not the Voice of God. Not only are they not under oath with penalty for perjury, they don't necessarily understand their own material. At least Lovretta announces the obvious, that this is a cop buddy show. So far as her alleged repudiation of UST goes, there are no cop buddy shows where one of the buddies has no other significant others.  

And in this case it is actually a good thing that the producer isn't the Voice of God. Otherwise, we would have to accept her admission that Johnny Jaqobis is a female character in disguise at face value!

So far as her alleged repudiation of UST goes, there are no cop buddy shows where one of the buddies has no other significant others.

Cagney and Lacey - Cagney - no significant other.

L&O:SVU - Olivia Benson - no significant other

Starsky & Hutch - actually neither of them had significant others

Miami Vice - again, neither of them had significant other

Man from U.N.C.L.E. - rinse and repeat

Lethal Weapon - Mel Gibson's character was widowed, but no significant other in the first couple of movies

Bad Boys - Will Smith's character was a player

Any Eddie Murphy cop comedy in the 80's

There are many others to add.

And in this case it is actually a good thing that the producer isn't the Voice of God. Otherwise, we would have to accept her admission that Johnny Jaqobis is a female character in disguise at face value!

If the executive producer and creator of the show isn't the Voice of God for the show, then who is?  The fans aren't and I read nothing in her interview that indicated Johnny was a girl in any way.  Straight men and straight women can be friends without one wanting to fuck the other at some point.  Just because you have hadn't that experience doesn't mean it isn't a true and accurate statement for many people. 

Edited by jelaine
  • Love 6

Cagney and Lacey - Cagney - no significant other.

L&O:SVU - Olivia Benson - no significant other

Man from U.N.C.L.E. - rinse and repeat

Lethal Weapon - Mel Gibson's character was widowed, but no significant other in the first couple of movies

Bad Boys - Will Smith's character was a player

Any Eddie Murphy cop comedy in the 80's

There are many others to add.

If the executive producer and creator of the show isn't the Voice of God for the show, then who is?  The fans aren't and I read nothing in her interview that indicated Johnny was a girl in any way.  Straight men and straight women can be friends without one wanting to fuck the other at some point.  Just because you have hadn't that experience doesn't mean it isn't a true and accurate statement for many people. 

Cagney had failed relationships, not none. And she was commonly quite unhappy about that. 

SVU...can't comment, never found the show well written enough to be worth watching

Starsky & Hutch...you're certainly right about this one. It's one of the things that made this show cartoonish, which fit its very light tone. Sadly, Killjoys is kind of heavy and solemn. 

Miami Vice...I saw an episode once and couldn't tell the police from the criminals and never watched again.

Man from UNCLE...are you seriously suggesting that Johnny is a really cool character because he's a player like Solo & Kuryakin, developments from James Bond?

Riggs in Lethal Weapon was emotionally disturbed, not just super cool. Johnny is supposed to be Murtagh!

Bad Boys..again with the idea Johnny is so cool that he can be both a player and a nice guy? Not buying it.

Eddie Murphy comedies aren't relevant because Killjoys isn't a comedy. It takes itself and its leads very seriously indeed. 

Your examples shoot your case to shit, I think. Nor do I think there are any non-comedic examples of buddy cop shows. 

There is no Voice of God about TV shows, because producers don't necessarily understand themselves, being people and because they have reason not to tell the truth. Lovretta's remark about no Johnny/Dutch romance until a lot of water under the bridge to my ear sounded exactly like a cagey producer withholding the season five endgame for suspense. The convention wisdom is that once the UST becomes RST, the series is over. Why would she spoil the ending? But for the record, it was Lovretta who compared Dutch and Johnny to Bo and Kenzie from Lost Girl (a show I couldn't watch because it was too incoherent.) Despite the peculiar scene where they're reading a comic together on the bed, I wouldn't worry too much about that, because the producer is not the Voice of God.

Also for the record, the criticism has never been that Dutch and Johnny can't be Platonic friends, the criticism is that Dutch isn't just Johnny's friend, she's pretty much his everything, who excludes pretty much every other kind of relationship, except a succession of one night stands with no emotional content to speak of...while still pretending Johnny's is a super nice dude, all sensitive and shit, except when it might make him come across as wussy. Having Platonic friends doesn't mean you have no one else. That's the BS the show keeps shoveling. If you want to talk about "true and accurate," please be true and accurate about what you're arguing against.

Your examples shoot your case to shit, I think. Nor do I think there are any non-comedic examples of buddy cop shows.

No, my examples just prove we don't see things the same way and with the exception of the Eddie Murphy movies, they are all classified as dramas or action movies.  Take the planets and space ships out of Killjoys and it's an action show.

As for Dutch being Johnny's Everything, I don't see that either and that's what this comes down to.  We don't see the show the same way and we're not even arguing the same thing.  My only point in these replies has not been to convince you to see it a different way or even tell you that you are wrong to see it the way that you do.  My point has been to show you that there are other interpretations of the show and characters that are equally as valid as yours.  Not right.  Not wrong.  Just different.  

I've been getting the impression that your interpretation is the only right one for the show, not just the right one for you.  If I have misread that, I apologize.  In any case, I hope you have enjoyed the show and thanks for the conversation.

• Love 4

Sure they did but I wouldn't sell them any of them  life insurance. And spoiler alert  "the one" in Hutch's case turned out to be a  

prostitute

Yay! Now I will be able to find out what happens to D'avin and what Dutch and John do to save him. I hope to see the brothers interacting more. I thought Johnny's level of concern for his brother should have been greater. Also hope to get some background on the brothers before separating. Last season was very Dutch centric.

Yeah, I was hoping Killjoys would do 13 episodes next year, since I really think their ambitious worldbuilding and storylines need a bit more room to breath, but I guess we'll have to make do with 10. Maybe now that it's been set up and the show is over the "tell as much story in the first season as you can in case it doesn't get renewed" hump, it will feel less rushed.

In any case, I look forward to getting more Killjoys on my screen. :) Between this fun romp and the more weighty 12 Monkeys, I'm really enjoying some SyFy these days.

• Love 1

What???!!!! Dragnet, Adam 12,  I Spy, CHipS, Hawaii Five O, Streets of San Francisco, Hunter, Due South and I am not going to bother trying to think of more than that - hell you could easily make a case for The Lone Ranger and The Green Hornet.  Sheesh.

• Love 4

From a few weeks ago (December 3rd)...

Syfy Press Release: SYFY’S KILLJOYS SEASON 2 PRODUCTION BEGINS IN TORONTO

Second Season To Premiere on Syfy in Summer 2016

And, farther back (October 8th)...

The Hollywood Reporter: MIPCOM: Syfy's 'Killjoys' Stars Tease Second Season

"We should expect to find out more about Red 17, and about Khlyen, and if he is working for someone, or if he's the decision-maker. That's my question," said John-Kamen. "What he did in season one was create this notion that there's something bigger, this thing is bigger, and you don't even know you're part of — do as I tell you as I'm trying to protect you from something. I do hope that threat will be revealed in season two," she added.

Recovering D'avin will also be an immediate goal for the second season. "We have to find D'avin, that's an emotional thing we have to do. This is our partner, our brother, my brother, that we have to track down," said Ashmore.

• Love 1

And we got our first trailer for season 2 - about time!

Spoiler

They're not even trying to keep us in suspense about D'avin so I guess we won't have to watch several episodes of Dutch and Johnny trying to find him.

• Love 5