Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Marco

• Start Topic

(edited)

I was fine with the ending, because humans are rarely linear creatures.

Jimmy had essentially lost his two brothers in quick succession. One, his actual brother, was like the angel sitting on his shoulder whispering in his ear, "straighten up, Jimmy, come to ABQ and fix your life." The other, his spiritual brother, was the devil sitting on his other shoulder, whispering, "come on Jimmy, don't listen to him, he's a prick. Stay here, let's do one more scam, c'mon, just one more..."

He's lost both their voices, leaving him rudderless. So in the end, twisting the ring, he chooses one more scam, because even if the devil leads him astray, at least he's honest, at least he genuinely liked Jimmy. The angel turned out to be a duplicitous sanctimonious prick who doesn't appreciate how hard Jimmy has worked to please him, so screw him.

I don't see his final choice as freeing himself from his brother's exceptions. I don't see it as a positive now-he-can-finally-live-his-life-on-his-terms! turn. I see it as still all about Chuck. There's a real feeling of, "oh, so you think I'm Slippin' Jimmy and can never change and will always be a scumbag? Well wait till you see how bad I can be!" If he can't make Chuck proud, he'll bitterly prove Chuck right and pretend it's a victory.

Which is to say, I don't think Jimmy is Saul at heart, any more than Jimmy was the guy tried so hard to be to please Chuck. And I think his trip home proved he's outgrown Slippin' Jimmy. I think Jimmy is a good man with flexible morals who needs to free himself completely from Chuck and his past. But Jimmy feels trapped -- the person he worked hardest to please doesn't believe in him, and his oldest friend died happy because Jimmy went back to his old tricks -- if he can't make it in the legit world, he's going to go back to what he knows, and maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be.

He can act happy and free for walking away from a solid offer for a solid future, but what he's turning to is going to end up so much worse than what he's turning away from. His problem is thinking that if pleasing Chuck is pointless, he should do the opposite thing. 

Jimmy is completely lost.

Edited by VeryNot
  • Love 10

I don't see how anyone would fall for the coin scam. I could see how someone might not know which way the face should be pointing, but there's no plausibility

That exact scam worked in Indiana.  My buddies pulled it off.  The best part is that the mark presented himself as a coin expert!

• Love 1
(edited)

I was fine with the ending, because humans are rarely linear creatures.

Jimmy had essentially lost his two brothers in quick succession. One, his actual brother, was like the angel sitting on his shoulder whispering in his ear, "straighten up, Jimmy, come to ABQ and fix your life." The other, his spiritual brother, was the devil sitting on his other shoulder, whispering, "come on Jimmy, don't listen to him, he's a prick. Stay here, let's do one more scam, c'mon, just one more..."

He's lost both their voices, leaving him rudderless. So in the end, twisting the ring, he chooses one more scam, because even if the devil leads him astray, at least he's honest, at least he genuinely liked Jimmy. The angel turned out to be a duplicitous sanctimonious prick who doesn't appreciate how hard Jimmy has worked to please him, so screw him.

I don't see his final choice as freeing himself from his brother's exceptions. I don't see it as a positive now-he-can-finally-live-his-life-on-his-terms! turn. I see it as still all about Chuck. There's a real feeling of, "oh, so you think I'm Slippin' Jimmy and can never change and will always be a scumbag? Well wait till you see how bad I can be!" If he can't make Chuck proud, he'll bitterly prove Chuck right and pretend it's a victory.

Which is to say, I don't think Jimmy is Saul at heart, any more than Jimmy was the guy tried so hard to be to please Chuck. And I think his trip home proved he's outgrown Slippin' Jimmy. I think Jimmy is a good man with flexible morals who needs to free himself completely from Chuck and his past. But Jimmy feels trapped -- the person he worked hardest to please doesn't believe in him, and his oldest friend died happy because Jimmy went back to his old tricks -- if he can't make it in the legit world, he's going to go back to what he knows, and maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be.

He can act happy and free for walking away from a solid offer for a solid future, but what he's turning to is going to end up so much worse than what he's turning away from. His problem is thinking that if pleasing Chuck is pointless, he should do the opposite thing. 

Jimmy is completely lost.

Bingo (sorry, couldn't help myself).

It sort of brought to mind the character of Sandy from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Miss Brodie lavished attention on her beautiful pupil Jenny, and gave glowing compliments to her other girls, but dismissed bookish Sandy as merely "dependable". This bland, backhanded compliment drove Sandy to do foolhardy things to prove Miss Brodie wrong, that she wasn't plain, boring, or "dependable". Even at the end, when she turns against Miss Brodie and seems to have found her voice, Sandy isn't free from that half-hearted assessment she received from someone she'd once admired. Everything she does, for the rest of her life, will, in some form or another, be to prove Miss Brodie wrong. 

As VeryNot so exquisitely illustrated, that's really brought about the birth of Saul Goodman. Jimmy has started out wanting to show Chuck he isn't "Slippin' Jimmy" anymore, and now he's rebelling against what Chuck is (a more respectable form of lawyer). Obviously, taking the position at that firm would be the smartest, most secure thing to do, but Jimmy is through with that tactic (plus, we'd have no show). The path of resistance hasn't brought him respect from anyone, least of all Chuck. Jimmy's reasoning and solution? He's going to have his cake and eat it too: Chuck can't handle "Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree?" Well, all the worse for Chuck, then!

I loved the Bingo rant. Inappropriate as all get out (but then, Vince Gilligan loves his inappropriate moments, doesn't he?), but you could tell Jimmy has bottled this up for way too long, and when you're desperate enough to get something off your chest, you're not going to care who your audience is. Still, you can't say the seniors weren't at least a little intrigued. I wouldn't have wanted to be those poor Cub Scouts, though.

Earth-shattering surprise, Chuck shows little remorse for his falling out with Jimmy. Nope, just another day, bossing around a new errand boy in the most smarmy, condescending way he can manage. Poor Ernie was a good sport, but I'll bet he was thinking, "4 years at law school, and I'm playing Bojangles to this nutter-butter."

Kim really is a good friend, and, holy crap, an actual, honest-to-God apology from Jimmy! Apologies almost never happen on TV shows! VG and company, I love you all.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 6

Peter Gould spoke to Entertainment Weekly about the finale and season 2.

Our goal was to have the audience fill some of that in and do some of the math on their own. I don’t want to trample the things that people are bringing to it, but you have to think that the fact that he’s playing with that little pinky ring that was Marco’s has something to do with it. The fact that as he drives away he sings “Smoke on the Water,” which is sort of Marco’s theme. You have to think that those things mean that he’s not giving up on his Slippin’ Jimmy self. Who knows? Maybe he’s found a way he thinks to make Jimmy McGill and Slippin’ Jimmy both live at the same time. Maybe he’s found a way to use all his abilities. Whatever it is, he’s in a good mood about it.

You all know this about me by now, but I'm just unimpressed with the Creator's Word. He can say what he meantall day long, but if it's not what we saw, it's not waht happened. The actor didnt play it, the signfiicator didn't become a sign.

Do you mean we don't see him happy, or even in a "good mood"? Or something else?

• I've decided that ultimately Jimmy is Gollum.  The pull of what Marco's ring represents ends up driving his actions and his core self-belief...
That totally fits, and to me is an example of what Peter Gould was referring to with "Our goal was to have the audience fill some of that in and do some of the math on their own. I don’t want to trample the things that people are bringing to it..."
  • Love 1

Screw apples! Just eat chocolate. 

Even the Saul we met on BB still had soft spots, without him Walter White woulda been sunk very early on. Even though he did it for the money he help Walter above and beyond the call of duty. Technically, he was an enabler for Walter, which isn't good, but he was still helpful. 

• Love 2

Umbelina, on 07 Apr 2015 - 1:15 PM, said:

Also, as far as the first scene of the season, and all we know about Saul?  That was the first scene, not the last, and I have serious hopes that Saul doesn't stay at Cinnabon by the time this series ends.

There's been a steady drumbeat along these lines ever since the pilot; as long as that continues I'm going to be a broken record trying to counter it.  I think people who want to see more of Saul in Omaha have completely missed the point of that prologue.  I seriously hope the PTB do not return there, except perhaps for a minute or two at the very end of the series (like, Saul/Gene pops out the tape and goes to bed, or alternately, eats a bullet).

Where you see it as an endpoint, I see that it could be that, or maybe the beginning of Jimmy/Saul/Gene's next act.  After all, not everyone has watched BB and for them this gives them lots to wonder about.  I almost can't imagine the series not ending with Cinnabon and beyond. They have to touch on it somehow, or why bother with that particular opening scene.  I actually do like the idea of Kim happening by on a business trip to Omaha.

• Love 2
I don't see his final choice as freeing himself from his brother's exceptions. I don't see it as a positive now-he-can-finally-live-his-life-on-his-terms! turn. I see it as still all about Chuck. There's a real feeling of, "oh, so you think I'm Slippin' Jimmy and can never change and will always be a scumbag? Well wait till you see how bad I can be!" If he can't make Chuck proud, he'll bitterly prove Chuck right and pretend it's a victory

I think he has already proven Chuck right. Chuck's fear was that if he let Jimmy join HHM, that somehow, some way, Slippin Jimmy would show up ... eventually. We were supposed to take Jimmy's side, because that seemed like an unfair judgment by Chuck about how own brother. But low and behold, that's exactly what happened. When push came to shove, Jimmy went back to Chicago, found his old friend and ended up being Slippin Jimmy again. So Chuck was right, even if you factor in that Chuck was part of what put Jimmy in that dark place. True heroes rise to the occassion regardless of how they ended up on the floor. Jimmy, as much as he has some good characteristics, is no hero. Plus, this is the point of the show, so ....

I didn't have a problem with how the end scene went down. I did feel a bit of ... irksomeness? .... that we watched a whole season rooting for a guy who we are shown was never going to be what we were rooting for. Which is stupid of me, because we know where Jimmy ends up. I guess I can't help but pull for underdogs.

• Love 3

I almost can't imagine the series not ending with Cinnabon and beyond. They have to touch on it somehow, or why bother with that particular opening scene.

The whole point of "managing a Cinnabon in Omaha" was to reassure Breaking Bad viewers that TPTB care about the tiniest detail. Also, Bob Odenkirk said that every item in Gene's shoebox stash is important.

• Love 5

Wouldofshouldof, every time Marco has been on-screen my brain is pouting "not Nurse Patsy." Because I love Rodriguez so much in the Nurse Patsy role.

Props to the show for the music - in the early bar scenes we had "Poke Salad Annie." Takes me back...

I agree that the con montage and bingo scenes went on a bit too long. The only time the show has lost my interest was then, as well as the Mike-only episode. I appreciate the Mike character and the actor but am not in raptures about either one. I only have eyes for Odenkirk, with an occasional dash of McKean.

• Love 2

So, Chuck backs Jimmy into a corner, insisting on what Jimmy's career could be and also insisting on being waited on, and it's Jimmy's fault he broke? That proves Chuck right?

Jimmy didn't break, he rejected Chuck. He rejected the advice, the direction, all of it. He realized Chuck didn't have any answers or magic about living, he just had resources. This episode went out of it's way to scream "Slipping Jimmy was a goof, not some mastermind, he pooped in a sunroof!"

It's not either Chuck or Jimmy. They aren't any different. They manifest their damage in different ways. Chuck retreats and controls, Jimmy roles plays other people. Its transparent escapism.

Its unfair to dismiss Jimmy's decade of service to himself and Chuck by thinking the first chance Jimmy got he ran home. Jimmy figured out his brother and mentor was a fraud, so he went searching for something else. He left, willingly and enthusiastically, after a week. Chuck pretended to be a normal lawyer for a day, if it was a week would Chuck be cured and permanently a normal lawyer?

Jimmy doesn't have to be reduced to A or B. He's the complex lead of the show.

• Love 9

...Props to the show for the music - in the early bar scenes we had "Poke Salad Annie." Takes me back...

Thank you! Is there a website that lists all the songs from episodes? I may have to rewatch just for that.
  • Love 1

VG does an amazing job at showing people as Morally Gray - I personally think 95% of people would fall into this categorization, some grayer than others. 

I liked how Howard had a completely different opinion of Jimmy after he learned everything he had been doing for Chuck.  It would seem that Chuck had given Howard a very jaded view of who/what Jimmy is, and Howard had never taken the time to get to know any different. 

I believe part of the reason that he did not keep the Kettleman money was because of Kim, he knew Howard had retaliated since she lost the case and he was fixing it for her, getting her standing back in the firm.  When he said it won't happen again, I don't think it was necessarily the money he was talking about, but rather looking out for number one and doing what is best for him and not worrying about trying to make other people happy or live up to someone's expectations. 

The other part of not keeping the Kettleman money - he has a moral code and there is definite difference between theft and scamming someone.  It is okay to scam someone because if they believe the crap story he is selling or is gullible enough to go along with what he saying they deserve to lose their money.  As someone said earlier the mark is motivated by greed - getting an "$800 coin" for $110 the mark plays an active role in what is going on - where as taking the 1.6 million is theft.

When he walked away from the Sante Fe "interview" I think he really took Marco's (Friggin' Todd) words to heart about working for Standpipe - and realized that he would much rather work the way he wanted without the constraints of Partners (Chucks and Howards) managing his moves.

• Love 6
(edited)

• Ernesto wasn't being abused, as far as I can tell, in any way by Chuck.   He was there to do a job and Chuck well outlined the demands.  When Ernesto wasn't writing down the tasks, Chuck rightly requested he do so.  When the requests were totally personal, Chuck clearly acknowledged that he was asking for stuff beyond the bounds of a standard lawyer.  If anything, I thought Chuck was too nice.

I agree that Ernesto wasn't being abused, but I thought Chuck oozed condescension. Plus he really seemed to enjoy giving Ernesto instructions. Made him feel superior and important again.

I liked that we never saw Ernesto roll his eyes or indicate any displeasure. I was kind of expecting it when he went to talk to Jimmy, but even if he was bothered (which I don't think he was), he wouldn't diss Jimmy's brother to Jimmy himself.

• I did not get the feel that Jimmy was all that "off" during the vast majority of the Bingo rant.   Yeah, he wasn't Matlock, but the looks of concern from everyone before he did his walk-around didn't seem warranted.  He just wanted the darn game to end.  That final "mic drop" was anachronistic to me.  It has become  "thing" now to do that.  It was not a thing back then.

I thought some of the people were just interested in the game, but others were clearly concerned. They were used to Jimmy being upbeat, but he was giving negative "as in's" for the B's. Some of the people noticed that. Plus Jimmy's manner was getting very serious and even angry. As far as the mic drop, I thought it was pretty funny, and Jimmy didn't really do it in the current fashion. He simply dropped it.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

It's not either Chuck or Jimmy. They aren't any different. They manifest their damage in different ways. Chuck retreats and controls, Jimmy roles plays other people. Its transparent escapism.

I agree with the rest of the post, with the exception of the above.  Chuck is different from Jimmy in that he had it within him to sabotage his brother for years, while Jimmy has inherent mercy and empathy and fairness which he has shown with Marco and Kim and the elders and of course, Chuck himself.  He still needs to make sure Chuck is taken care of.  Chuck whistles after Jimmy is emotionally shattered.  It's more than retreat and control to me.

• Love 5
(edited)

I agree that Ernesto wasn't being abused, but I thought Chuck oozed condescension. Plus he really seemed to enjoy giving Ernesto instructions. Made him feel superior and important again.

I liked that we never saw Ernesto roll his eyes or indicate any displeasure. I was kind of expecting it when he went to talk to Jimmy, but even if he was bothered (which I don't think he was), he wouldn't diss Jimmy's brother to Jimmy himself.

It very clearly demonstrated their social skills and sense of entitlement.  It was a great scene.

Chuck - Ernesto next time I want, and make sure you don't forget...blah blah I'm a self important db

Jimmy - Hey Ernie - how's it going, how's he doing

Edited by Boilergal
  • Love 3
(edited)

Was this episode over the top?  Pretty much

Did I enjoy it ?     100% loved it.  

I loved the visit back to Chicago, the cons, the montage, Kevin Costner on an air mattress,  the Bingo meltdown, everything. 

I do indeed 'get' the misgivings about Jimmy turning into Saul in a melodramatic fashion.   But I'm here for the ride (as is Jimmy apparently) Gonna just hang on and enjoy !  (well, when it returns back to my TV)

Cue music:

****** Da da da....... da da da dum....******

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1
(edited)

• Ernesto wasn't being abused, as far as I can tell, in any way by Chuck.   He was there to do a job and Chuck well outlined the demands.  When Ernesto wasn't writing down the tasks, Chuck rightly requested he do so.  When the requests were totally personal, Chuck clearly acknowledged that he was asking for stuff beyond the bounds of a standard lawyer.  If anything, I thought Chuck was too nice.
  • In an interview of PG released Tuesday, I read where Saul was most definitely supposed to make his first appearance by the end of this season.  But, they discovered they loved the nice/kind/conflicted Jimmy so much that they put off Saul's coming.  Had they known what they would end up feeling about Jimmy, Nacho would not have been introduced as early as he was.  I totally believe this.

That second bullet I quoted here is really interesting--thanks so much for sharing this.

The first one...hmmm.  Are you someone who frequently complains to service sector type people?  Be careful: you might get more than you bargained for on the return trip when you send that plate of food back.  ;-)

I almost can't imagine the series not ending with Cinnabon and beyond. They have to touch on it somehow, or why bother with that particular opening scene.

Because it's like starting a movie with someone sitting on their deathbed, reflecting on their life.  When you saw Titanic, did you feel cheated because they didn't show more of the continuing adventures of centenarian Rose in the late '90s after dumping her priceless diamond necklace into the ocean?  I just honestly don't get where all this pent-up desire for "The Adventures of Gene, Omaha Cinnabon Manager" is coming from.

When he walked away from the Sante Fe "interview" I think he really took Marco's (Friggin' Todd) words to heart about working for Standpipe - and realized that he would much rather work the way he wanted without the constraints of Partners (Chucks and Howards) managing his moves.

Friggin' Todd...

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 2
  • In an interview of PG released Tuesday, I read where Saul was most definitely supposed to make his first appearance by the end of this season.  But, they discovered they loved the nice/kind/conflicted Jimmy so much that they put off Saul's coming.  Had they known what they would end up feeling about Jimmy, Nacho would not have been introduced as early as he was.  I totally believe this.

You mean "Better Call Saul co-creator Peter Gould on the season finale and what's next for Jimmy (Saul?)" in Entertainment Weekly? If so, I agree that Jimmy is not Saul at the end of this episode—and I suspect he won't be next season, either. Bolding is mine:

It’s safe to say—and I’m not proud of it— but that we thought that Jimmy McGill would become Saul Goodman a lot faster than he actually has. The reason it’s taking longer is that we didn’t really understand Jimmy. We got much more interested in Jimmy as we went along: This guy surprised us with how likable he is, how well-intentioned he is, how much he cares about other people, and those are all qualities that we don’t associate with Saul Goodman. What we found, just as we started the season, was that the journey that we expected to be more of a straight line turns out to be very convoluted and turns out to have a lot more twists and turns in it then we ever, ever expected. If you would ask Vince [Gilligan, the show’s co-creator] and me at the beginning of season 1, before we opened the writers’ room, both of us would say, “Well, he’s probably going to be calling himself Saul Goodman certainly by the end of season 1. He’s most likely going to have that office with the crazy columns, and pretty soon after that, we’ll be seeing all the characters that we associate with him on Breaking Bad, like Huell and Kuby, and especially Francesca.” But what we found was this journey’s not as fast as we thought it would be, and we’re really enjoying Jimmy McGill. And I think we’re all a little bit sorry, in some ways, that he’s going to become Saul Goodman (laughs), because as much as we like Saul, we love Jimmy.
  • Love 1

I just honestly don't get where all this pent-up desire for "The Adventures of Gene, Omaha Cinnabon Manager" is coming from.

For me, not a huge pent-up desire, but it comes from this:  the guy has different personas he takes on and skills he develops, from Slippin' Jimmy to reforming Jimmy to real lawyer Jimmy to Saul to . . . he always has a next act.  He's down but he's not out.  That's different for me than centenarian Rose or the like.  It's curiosity. 

• Love 5
The weird thing for me is that I don't think of Saul as being such a "bad" person. He is slippery, like Jimmy, but not bad. (I know that the way things went down with Walt, he was complicit in a lot of very bad acts, but weirdly, I associate that more with self-preservation, and with being led astray by Walter, than with "who he really is.") Jimmy is a con man who steals from people. Saul was a lawyer who used the outer limits of the law to get his clients off. He's not ashamed to represent unsavory people or salt of the earth people, and he went to the mat for all of them (much like Jimmy took care of his elderly clients).

I don't think Saul is all that "bad" either, but to say he's a lawyer who just gets his clients off is whitewashing the things he does.

We see only a little of Saul actually "lawyering" in Breaking Bad. What he does do for his clients is launder money, set up meetings between various criminals, hire thugs to intimidate (which at least once results in the accidental paralysis), steal (the poison cigarette), etc. in BB, Saul is very much a criminal himself.

As far as this episode goes, I liked it and unlike a lot of people here, I thought it pretty clearly showed his motivations. Some people said they thought he didn't look like he enjoyed the Chicago con-during the montage, but I disagree. I think we were clearly shown that he really enjoyed that and was in his element. During the montage, it's just that we were seeing him in the cons. He was acting and he's damn good at it. You see after the first con, he's elated. And we see him in the morning after the Kevin Costner girls wake up and he's really happy as well. He doesn't need it anymore financially and he is drawn to go back, but I think the show made it perfectly clear that that's him in his element.

BTW - I think maybe the most interesting thing of the episode (and maybe the whole first season) is from a couple of exchanges with Marco. It was good storytelling, IMO, to delay the present-day introduction of Marco until the end. Marco is basically Jimmy's BFF and should have some insight into the character's life that we weren't really privy to. And basically the first thing that Marco says when Jimmy brings up Chuck is that Chuck's a snobby prick and doesn't like Jimmy anyway. This is without the knowledge of the previous episode that we have.

Second, we have another character (this one who you have to consider closer than anyone else) who immediately assumes Jimmy is "dirty". Marco's eyes light up when Jimmy tells him he's a lawyer and asks him what cons he's pulling off. Just as Mike, as the Kettlemans, as Chuck, there's just nobody (except maybe Kim) that believes Jimmy can really be on the up and up.

Chuck is the Angel on Jimmy's shoulder and Marco the devil. And after spending some time with Marco, Jimmy is basically saying "why did I ever listen to that angel on my shoulder?"

• Love 3

That totally fits, and to me is an example of what Peter Gould was referring to with "Our goal was to have the audience fill some of that in and do some of the math on their own. I don’t want to trample the things that people are bringing to it..."

As I've watched each episode and followed what all of you lovely people have said on here, I noticed that VG and company have brought enough of a story to us so that we are filling in the story from OUR own emotional lives - I think about how being the youngest of three kids with my older "Chuck brother" and the next older "Jimmy brother" makes me relate to the story about on screen Chuck and Jimmy and their relationship. I noticed the same atmosphere on the forum with BB where I couldn't understand how some folks were rooting for Walt to somehow triumph out of all he had put people through. I believe it's because of our own personal life experiences so it's like a slightly different show for each of us watching and most likely why we get so invested personally. 

• Love 5
But what we found was this journey’s not as fast as we thought it would be, and we’re really enjoying Jimmy McGill. And I think we’re all a little bit sorry, in some ways, that he’s going to become Saul Goodman (laughs), because as much as we like Saul, we love Jimmy.

Call me crazy, but I actually wouldn't mind if this show pulled a sort of Fringe maneuver (and hey, Fringe was kind of inspired by X-Files) and split off into a parallel timeline in which the show does not have to be bound by the BB timeline, and Jimmy can stay Jimmy or whatever organically works for the story.  Anyone with me?

One other thing I keep meaning to ask you guys about.  On another site, there is a huge comment thread in which a number of people are insisting that Jimmy's "Kevin Costner" scam makes him a rapist.  I pretty strenuously disagree, but on that site the other people on "my side" mostly seem to be odious d-bags of the MRA/fedora sort.  What say you all about this?  It's a pretty serious charge against our beloved Jimmy.  (I think we can assume the writers don't think he's a rapist, or they wouldn't say they "love" him.)

• Love 3

I sort of expected after the Bingo meltdown and he said come get all the stuff, kitten notebooks for everybody that all the old folks would scurry and stampede for their "treasure"

I wondered if they might but was not surprised that they didn't. Their looks of concern at his performance seemed a mix of horror, worry about him, disappointment, confusion, etc.

The kitten notebooks probably represented Jimmy's blessing as much as anything, and didn't have a lot of intrinsic value to the "winners."

• Love 1
I agree with the rest of the post, with the exception of the above.  Chuck is different from Jimmy in that he had it within him to sabotage his brother for years, while Jimmy has inherent mercy and empathy and fairness which he has shown with Marco and Kim and the elders and of course, Chuck himself.  He still needs to make sure Chuck is taken care of.  Chuck whistles after Jimmy is emotionally shattered.  It's more than retreat and control to me.

Absolutely. Is Chuck worried about Jimmy? After all the nasty things he said? It doesn't appear so. We've been shown Jimmy giving a list to Howard, and dropping by the house to see what's going on - both show that despite how badly his brother wounded him, Jimmy still worries about him. Now I know Chuck is homebound (for the most part), but has he tried to pass on a message? Inquire if anyone knows how Jimmy is doing? Not that we've been shown. Is it just his pride? Or does he not care at all? I agree entirely that both brothers are complex, flawed people - but I think Jimmy is the only one who is a good brother.

One other thing I keep meaning to ask you guys about.  On another site, there is a huge comment thread in which a number of people are insisting that Jimmy's "Kevin Costner" scam makes him a rapist.  I pretty strenuously disagree, but on that site the other people on "my side" mostly seem to be odious d-bags of the MRA/fedora sort.  What say you all about this?  It's a pretty serious charge against our beloved Jimmy.  (I think we can assume the writers don't think he's a rapist, or they wouldn't say they "love" him.)

Oh that's asinine. How many people go to bed with someone after a night of drinking, and wake up realizing they're not quite as great as they appeared the night before (looks, charm, etc.)? If that woman truly thought he was Kevin Coster, after being brought back to a basement with an air mattress on the floor, she needs to stop drinking and seek therapy. 

• Love 10

One other thing I keep meaning to ask you guys about.  On another site, there is a huge comment thread in which a number of people are insisting that Jimmy's "Kevin Costner" scam makes him a rapist.  I pretty strenuously disagree, but on that site the other people on "my side" mostly seem to be odious d-bags of the MRA/fedora sort.  What say you all about this?  It's a pretty serious charge against our beloved Jimmy.  (I think we can assume the writers don't think he's a rapist, or they wouldn't say they "love" him.)

Of course not. You only have to ask yourself to change the lie to see how ridiculous that is. If somebody had lied and said they were a doctor, when they are really unemployed and a woman came back and slept with him would that be considered rape as well? The woman could say she wouldn't have slept with an unemployed man.

And it's a real slipperly slope from there...where could you draw the line? What if he had gone to medical school, but wasn't employed as a doctor? What if he had a P.H.D., but was unemployed and she inferred that he was a medical doctor?

What if it was just one of the many numerous little white lies that people tell about themselves when meeting new people? What if he (or she) lied about liking a particular band or style of music because the person they were with was into it? What if he/she lied about her weight or her age when meeting somebody?

Ultimately Jimmy told a lie when meeting a woman at a bar. She may/may not have believe it and they slept together. There is nothing remotely illegal or rapey about that. It's unlikely that everything she told him that night was the truth either.

• Love 3

I don't think Saul is all that "bad" either, but to say he's a lawyer who just gets his clients off is whitewashing the things he does.

We see only a little of Saul actually "lawyering" in Breaking Bad. What he does do for his clients is launder money, set up meetings between various criminals, hire thugs to intimidate (which at least once results in the accidental paralysis), steal (the poison cigarette), etc. in BB, Saul is very much a criminal himself.

Points taken. I knew that my affection for Jimmy was causing some temporary amnesia. :)

Chuck is the Angel on Jimmy's shoulder and Marco the devil. And after spending some time with Marco, Jimmy is basically saying "why did I ever listen to that angel on my shoulder?"

I agree with your premise about Chuck keeping Jimmy on the right side of the law. But let's not forget that this "angel" didn't believe in the best in Jimmy--he was trying to keep him in line, but he saw him as inherently bad, not to mention unintelligent. Say what you will about Saul/JImmy's ethics, he's no dummy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Points taken. I knew that my affection for Jimmy was causing some temporary amnesia. :)

I agree with your premise about Chuck keeping Jimmy on the right side of the law. But let's not forget that this "angel" didn't believe in the best in Jimmy--he was trying to keep him in line, but he saw him as inherently bad, not to mention unintelligent. Say what you will about Saul/JImmy's ethics, he's no dummy.

Oh, no doubt. This is one of the more interesting things about the dynamic. The Angel on the shoulder is a jerk- the Devil is really nice. Also a play on the old "you can pick your friends but not your family" bit. Chuck is Jimmy's brother by blood. Marco is his brother in all but name. Marco's mother even gives Jimmy his ring at the funeral and Marco warmly asks about Jimmy's mother and seems legitimately sad to learn of her passing.

Jimmy seems to have tried to replace Marco with Chuck over the past 10 years and Chuck has still barely warmed up to him and won't take him seriously. He and Marco fall right back in together after a 10 year hiatus like no time had passed. We all have those kinds of relationships in our lives and they can be very poignant and have a great effect on you.

Edited by Captain I0
  • Love 2

f somebody had lied and said they were a doctor, when they are really unemployed and a woman came back and slept with him would that be considered rape as well? The woman could say she wouldn't have slept with an unemployed man.

The difference is that with a celebrity, there's a much greater chance that she'd think she would get something of value out of it (even if its just bragging rights), making the situation akin to a hooker discovering she was paid in counterfeit bills.

• Love 1

I just want to laugh and say no, but I wonder if there is some sort of lesser charge than rape for impersonating a famous person in order to entice another into having sex.

If a person could prove damages, then it could be a civil case.

I don't think a criminal charge of rape would ever stick, but then again you never know.

If that waitress was mentally challenged and deemed vulnerable under the law as a minor, well, there might be a case to bring a charge lewd enticement.

• Love 2
The other part of not keeping the Kettleman money - he has a moral code and there is definite difference between theft and scamming someone.  It is okay to scam someone because if they believe the crap story he is selling or is gullible enough to go along with what he saying they deserve to lose their money.  As someone said earlier the mark is motivated by greed - getting an "$800 coin" for $110 the mark plays an active role in what is going on - where as taking the 1.6 million is theft.

Totally agree. Just as Jimmy charges ridiculously low fees to old people, he's not out to scam innocent taxpayers.

Great points. Jimmy clearly has more empathy and a much bigger heart.

It very clearly demonstrated their social skills and sense of entitlement.  It was a great scene.

Chuck - Ernesto next time I want, and make sure you don't forget...blah blah I'm a self important db

Jimmy - Hey Ernie - how's it going, how's he doing

I didn't catch that. Great observation, Chuck seems to have divided the world into "people I need to show respect and consideration for" and "idiots, peans, emplioyees, little brothers."

Call me crazy, but I actually wouldn't mind if this show pulled a sort of Fringe maneuver (and hey, Fringe was kind of inspired by X-Files) and split off into a parallel timeline in which the show does not have to be bound by the BB timeline, and Jimmy can stay Jimmy or whatever organically works for the story.  Anyone with me?

Never watched Fringe but I totally would have gone with that. An alternate world with some characters from BB in which Jimmy gets a break. Since I wasn't a BB watcher, I wasn't waiting for the moment when Jimmy becomes Saul. I was just invested in this sweet guy who can't get a break.

"Rape! I thought he was a movie star!" Thanks for best laugh of the a.m. It's not rape. It's exactly like the small time scams. You can't con someone who isn't trying to get over himself. she wouldn't have believed he was Kevin Costner if she weren't a shallow star (bad word here). That's just plain silly.

If he went into a long-term relationship carrying on the lie, that would be different. For a one-night stand? Nah. Plus, when she said he wasn't, he just said, "I was last night." Please.

So, Chuck backs Jimmy into a corner, insisting on what Jimmy's career could be and also insisting on being waited on, and it's Jimmy's fault he broke? That proves Chuck right?

Yes. Jimmy didn't *have* to react the way he did. To my earlier post, fiction is filled with characters who are "backed into a corner" and they don't break - they rise above it. Jimmy didn't. The fact that he didn't was about Jimmy, not Chuck. And the fact that even after he broke, Jimmy still had the perfect opportunity to succeed (Kim's call and meet with the other law firm) and Jimmy walked away from it is proof. Jimmy could have stuck it to Chuck *and* been a successful lawyer. He chose neither.

That doesn't make Jimmy any less complex. As Mike talked about before, you can be a criminal and still be a good person. Jimmy clearly has good and bad in him, and that's what we all like. However, to the specific point of whether Chuck was right when he said he feared Jimmy would become Slippin Jimmy at any time, given the events of the finale, you have to admit that Chuck was right. Because Jimmy had choices. Chuck made it worse, but Chuck didn't make Jimmy turn to a week of scams.

• Love 1

VG does an amazing job at showing people as Morally Gray - I personally think 95% of people would fall into this categorization, some grayer than others. 

I liked how Howard had a completely different opinion of Jimmy after he learned everything he had been doing for Chuck.  It would seem that Chuck had given Howard a very jaded view of who/what Jimmy is, and Howard had never taken the time to get to know any different. 

I believe part of the reason that he did not keep the Kettleman money was because of Kim, he knew Howard had retaliated since she lost the case and he was fixing it for her, getting her standing back in the firm.  When he said it won't happen again, I don't think it was necessarily the money he was talking about, but rather looking out for number one and doing what is best for him and not worrying about trying to make other people happy or live up to someone's expectations. 

I think the only reason he gave the Kettleman money back was because of Kim.

Remember, he was fine keeping his bribe until Kim got in a jam over the Kettelmans leaving HHM.

A few seconds after bailing on the meeting that Kim arranged with the Santa Fe law firm, he stopped to talk to Mike.

He makes a very strong declaration to Mike, "I know what stopped me from keeping it! And it is never stopping me again!"

What if Jimmy went after his law degree, and passed the bar to win Kim's approval more than Chuck's?

He never would have gotten as close as he did with Kim if he stayed in the mail room. They wouldn't have had anything in common to build a friendship on.

I feel confident in saying he was out to win Kim's approval, and he did, but not to the extent that he wanted.

He gave up on all of that as he was driving away to Smoke on the Water.

• Love 1

That's true about giving the bribe.

But I'd say he didn't really want it in the first place-- he turned it down several times, and wanted to turn them in more.

Yes, he gave in and took it, but it wasn't his object. A lot of people couldn't resist temptation when they are that broke. And he didn't rush out and spend it.

I know he gave up on all that. I just didn't see why. They didn't sell it to me.

• Love 1

Yesterday I mentioned (in my quick, random thoughts) that this was a good, solid finale.  I still think that overall, in general, it was nicely put together and made it fairly clear which 'path' Jimmy was going to be choosing by the end of the episode.  I do agree that the final scene of the finale was lacking in some way.  It almost seemed as if a scene went missing somewhere along the line, and then we skipped ahead to Jimmy talking to Mike and driving away.  There probably should have been more extensive dialogue that explained why Jimmy was going to follow one path instead of another... but it was what it was, so that was okay.

Knowing that Jimmy/Saul will eventually end up in a tacky (but busy!) strip mall office with gaudy pillars and the Scales of Justice makes me wonder if Season 2 is going to jump ahead in time to that setting, or if S2 will pick up where we left off -- with Jimmy deciding to be the kind of guy who would take some of the Kettlemans' money for himself if the opportunity presented itself again in the future, and setting forth on his course to become that guy.

I have not been a Chuck fan from the beginning.  All of his scenes have annoyed me, and the revelation that he sabotaged his caretaker-brother (even if some of his thoughts about who Jimmy is may not have been totally off base or unfounded) only solidified and validated my annoyance. 

That said, oddly, I didn't think that Chuck was that bad in his scene with Ernesto.  I know -- I can't explain it either, as he has bothered me from Day 1!  Lol.  He was giving specific instructions as to what he wanted so that there wouldn't be any mistakes, but I thought he was pretty polite about it.  He wasn't as obnoxious and condescending as many lawyers can be.  He wasn't mean.  In fact, the subtext that I picked up on was the awkwardness of having to 'train' a new person to know what he wanted and didn't want, and that Chuck probably realized (without saying it) how helpful Jimmy had been to him in that way.  Jimmy knew which apples to choose.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I loved all of the Breaking Bad inside jokes and references -- and, while it's great that many of the viewers are able to divorce themselves from BB when viewing BCS, I think that those references and inside jokes are still (at this point in the series) necessary to keep the more skeptical BB fans/BCS viewers engaged.  I know it may be hard to believe for those who are not thinking at all about BB when watching BCS, but there are some viewers who are still not completely sold on a show all about Saul (Jimmy) -- and those inside references and jokes (and familiar BB locations and characters!) are going to keep them tuning in to BCS until they can finally buy into the idea of a show about Saul.

Now that Belize, Kevin Costner and Georgia O'Keeffe have all been mentioned; we've seen Tuco and other BB characters; we've seen the nail salon, the famous Walt-Mike-Lydia diner and the famous nursing home where Hector (Tio) will ultimately end up... I can't help but wonder how long it will be before we get our first glimpse of Los Pollos Hermanos.  You just know it's coming, sooner or later.

I am loving the Apple Chat in this thread!  I ate a lot of Red Delicious apples when I was a child -- but the flavor seemed to be better way back then.  A friend and I actually had a lengthy discussion about fruit a couple of years ago (when you run out of things to talk about, talk about fruit!), and we agreed that the flavors of a lot of different types of fruit were better when we were kids and teens.  A lot of fruit just isn't as tasty now, or as juicy -- or it is just too mealy. 

These days I eat Fuji apples for better flavor.  If, for some reason, I end up with a random Red Delicious, I will slap some peanut butter on it to make it more palatable.  Red Delicious also works fine in a fruit salad too, because it picks up the flavors of the other fruits. 

(edited)

That's true about giving the bribe.

But I'd say he didn't really want it in the first place-- he turned it down several times, and wanted to turn them in more.

Yes, he gave in and took it, but it wasn't his object. A lot of people couldn't resist temptation when they are that broke. And he didn't rush out and spend it.

I know he gave up on all that. I just didn't see why. They didn't sell it to me.

Actually he did rush out to spend it, he just did it in a calculated manner.

The first thing he did was sit down at his desk with an adding machine and draw up a fake bill for his charges and fees.

Then he went to buy Hamlin clothes and set the billboard scam in motion.

When he dumped what was left of his bribe in the sack with the rest of the Kettelman loot, he fingered it longingly.

Plus, he was practically drooling over the entire bag of loot. He very much wanted to keep it.

Edited by ToastnBacon

As I mentioned in my previous post, I loved all of the Breaking Bad inside jokes and references -- and, while it's great that many of the viewers are able to divorce themselves from BB when viewing BCS, I think that those references and inside jokes are still (at this point in the series) necessary to keep the more skeptical BB fans/BCS viewers engaged.  I know it may be hard to believe for those who are not thinking at all about BB when watching BCS, but there are some viewers who are still not completely sold on a show all about Saul (Jimmy) -- and those inside references and jokes (and familiar BB locations and characters!) are going to keep them tuning in to BCS until they can finally buy into the idea of a show about Saul.

Now that Belize, Kevin Costner and Georgia O'Keeffe have all been mentioned; we've seen Tuco and other BB characters; we've seen the nail salon, the famous Walt-Mike-Lydia diner and the famous nursing home where Hector (Tio) will ultimately end up... I can't help but wonder how long it will be before we get our first glimpse of Los Pollos Hermanos.  You just know it's coming, sooner or later.

To prove your point about the importance of BB Easter eggs, Tio lived at Casa Tranquila, not Sandpiper.

I have very much enjoyed looking for them.

(edited)

To prove your point about the importance of BB Easter eggs, Tio lived at Casa Tranquila, not Sandpiper.

I have very much enjoyed looking for them.

Oh, I know he lived at Casa Tranquila.  In fact, I was the one who mentioned the name Casa Tranquila in the episode thread, back when Casa Tranquila appeared in a BCS episode.  I recognized the music as being the same music from CT in the BB episodes, and wanted to be sure it was the same place and that I wasn't losing my mind.  Quilt Fairy then reported in that episode thread that (I think) Vince Gilligan or someone else said in the BCS podcast that, indeed, that was the same place where Hector would eventually end up, and that the diner where Mike was eating was the same diner we saw in BB.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have not been a Chuck fan from the beginning.  All of his scenes have annoyed me, and the revelation that he sabotaged his caretaker-brother (even if some of his thoughts about who Jimmy is may not have been totally off base or unfounded) only solidified and validated my annoyance. 

That said, oddly, I didn't think that Chuck was that bad in his scene with Ernesto.  I know -- I can't explain it either, as he has bothered me from Day 1!  Lol.  He was giving specific instructions as to what he wanted so that there wouldn't be any mistakes, but I thought he was pretty polite about it.  He wasn't as obnoxious and condescending as many lawyers can be.  He wasn't mean.  In fact, the subtext that I picked up on was the awkwardness of having to 'train' a new person to know what he wanted and didn't want, and that Chuck probably realized (without saying it) how helpful Jimmy had been to him in that way.  Jimmy knew which apples to choose.

The beautiful thing about Better Call Saul is that we can both be right. As ItsHelloPattiagain said upthread, we all watch the show through the lens of our individual experiences. To me, telling a grown-ass man, "see, I've written it right here on the box" is condescending. To old tinfoil bastard, saying "thank you" makes him a standup guy. And I can only hope that Chuck has developed even a shred of gratitude for everything Jimmy's done for him during the past year and half.

ChuckAll the originals need to be copied and filed. See, I've written right here on the box, "copy and file." That's to make it as clear as possible.

Ernie: Got it, Mr. McGill. Anything else?

Chuck: [Clears throat] Well, on the grocery front almost everything was right this time.

Ernie: Great.

Chuck: Almost. Um, it's a small thing, but to my taste, the, uh, Granny Smith apples are a bit too tart.

Ernie: Those are the green ones, right?

Chuck. Right. I prefer the red ones, but not Red Delicious—those are generally tasteless. Fujis should be in season. [Chuckles] It's not a major issue, but—

Ernie: Yeah, Fuji apples. OK.

Chuck: Oh, and I'd like to try soy milk, so maybe a half gallon of that.

Ernie: You got it.

Chuck: Well, thank you, Ernesto. I appreciate your attention to detail. Do you need to write any of this down? 'Cause it's okay if you do. You know, just to be sure.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

I haven't seen Breaking Bad which is why, maybe this ending didn't work for me. I didn't buy it. Jimmy may be many things, but he doesn't appear to be stupid. If anything, I thought seeing his friend die in a dirty alley and his dying breath, "this was the best week of my life" was the wake up call Jimmy needed to turn his life around. I thought at the time Jimmy was thinking how very sad it his friend thought it was great; dying in a dirty alley...and for what?!

I really didn't think Jimmy would turn down the offer at the other law firm. I think it would have been more believable, at least for me, for Jimmy to accept the offer and then next season come to realize how corrupt and sleazy the new firm was and THIS would be the push towards him becoming Saul. I just didn't buy Jimmy turning away from Kim and his elderly clients. Wasn't one of the reasons he wanted to rent the big office was to entice Kim to join him? How could his current actions possibly impress Kim and why wouldn't he care about his clients who were counting on him?

I guess the shock would be if this finale was just a teaser, and Jimmy did turn around and join the other firm; only to find out he had joined a viper's den next season.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3

Oh, I know he lived at Casa Tranquila.  In fact, I was the one who mentioned the name Casa Tranquila in the episode thread, back when Casa Tranquila appeared in a BCS episode.  I recognized the music as being the same music from CT in the BB episodes, and wanted to be sure it was the same place and that I wasn't losing my mind.  Quilt Fairy then reported in that episode thread that (I think) Vince Gilligan or someone else said in the BCS podcast that, indeed, that was the same place where Hector would eventually end up, and that the diner where Mike was eating was the same diner we saw in BB.

Really?

I didn't realize that Casa Tranquila had appeared in BCS.

Was it the same real-facility doubling as Sandpiper Crossing, or was it written into the script as Casa Tranquila?

(edited)

Really?

I didn't realize that Casa Tranquila had appeared in BCS.

Was it the same real-facility doubling as Sandpiper Crossing, or was it written into the script as Casa Tranquila?

I didn't listen to the podcast, so I'm not sure how it was explained.  Maybe Sandpiper eventually changed names and became Casa Tranquila in future years?  I'm not sure, but I specifically mentioned Casa Tranquila somewhere in the episode thread when the nursing home first appeared because I remembered that it was the name of Hector's place.

All I know is that a BCS episode aired (was it Alpine Shepherd Boy, or a different one prior to that?), and the nursing home popped up.  Instantly the music was familiar to me as being the music that was always playing at Hector's facility in Breaking Bad, and the overall layout looked very similar.  I posted a question in the episode thread, asking if that was the same place, and if the diner was the same diner from BB.  I wondered if all music and layouts in nursing homes are similar (thinking that maybe I was imagining that the nursing homes from BB and BCS were one and the same).

Quilt Fairy later returned to the thread to reveal that, as confirmed on the BCS podcast, indeed, that was Hector's eventual nursing home that we saw in BCS, and that the diner where Mike ate was the famous diner from BB.  Also, the hospital where Chuck ended up was the same hospital where Brock was in BB.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was not clever enough to notice that the Bs in the bingo scene were referencing Breaking Bad. But once someoene else pointed that out, I noticed they were all blue! It's like the Bs were saying "Break bad, break bad!" And then he ran off to Cicero to "get it out of his system."

All apples of a specific variety are cloned from one single mother plant. But as you clone clones again and again, just like a photocopy degrades, so does the plant. Red Delicious has been around a long time, thus the strain has degraded. And my current favorite is Opal!

This is my first post here at Previously TV and it's nice to see a lot of handles I recognize from my 15 years at you-know-where. Nice to see you all.

Anxiouisly awaiting the podcast! It's not up yet!

Edited by flotsette
  • Love 3