Type keyword(s) to search

Golden Girls News (and Media): Better Late Than.... Pregnant!

• Start Topic

Pretty cool, although I would have to wonder if the set would meet LEGO's requirement of fitting in with the company's brand. While the show is still pretty popular and LEGO has produced sets based on 80s properties, I would think that GG is seen as skewing more toward older females, while LEGO seems to target younger males. 

• Love 2

Yes but a GG Lego set would attract a whole new demographic. People like me that haven't bought Legos in decades would buy this. BTW I went to the Lego site and voted for it. Thanks to GoldenBoy for letting us know about this.

• Love 1

I want it, I want it, I want it! Give it to me now! [/Veruca Salt voice]

No, seriously, I want that thing. I am 32 years old and I have never wanted anything more than I want this Golden Girls Lego set and I am not at all ashamed to say so.

• Love 5

Me, you and a whole lotta people want that GG Lego set, Chicken Wing. It reached the goal of 10,000 votes earlier today. One step closer to becoming a reality!

BTW, yesterday when I voted, my vote was #432. So it took less than 24 hrs.

• Love 1

Rose played with the toy soldiers she kept under her bed. And she'd re-enact the gangplank scene from Peter Pan at night. Just think the fun she would've had if she'd had the GG Lego set. 

Gives new meaning to the phrase, "What the hell goes on at night in this house?"

(edited)

And speaking of news that's late, news briefs about Rue McClanahan's death have been making the rounds in social media for the last couple of days. No one knows why, exactly, since as we all know she died five years ago. This apparently happened this same week last year, too. Odd, because she died on the 3rd of June - so the surge is several years and a week late. :)

Edited by Chicken Wing

And speaking of news that's late, news briefs about Rue McClanahan's death have been making the rounds in social media for the last couple of days. No one knows why, exactly, since as we all know she died five years ago. This apparently happened this same week last year, too. Odd, because she died on the 3rd of June - so the surge is several years and a week late. :)

Well, as the thread title says... .

I don't understand 4 or 5- the one with the plastic.

The Plastics is the the popular/cool group from the movie Mean Girls. I assume 5 is just a play on the Lego Golden Girls set.

Frontiers Media did a (gay oriented) oral history of The Golden Girls, featuring the recollections of its writers.

It's well worth checking out. It made me love the actresses even more than I already did.

One highlight is that Bea Arthur read a comment in TV Guide from a viewer who said she didn't like Dorothy as much anymore - and decided to look up the woman's number, and give her what had to be the scariest phone call in human history.

Great article!  If I were Stan Zimmerman, I'd annoy the hell out of everyone around me by telling this story all the time:

Years later, [berg and I] were going to see that movie The Opposite of Sex, and ahead of us in line was Bea Arthur and Angela Lansbury. And we were like, “Holy fuck—we’re sitting right behind them. And they were laughing at the dirtiest stuff in that movie. And it was Mame. That was everything. We were like, “Who drove? How many cocktails did they have on the way over?”

I'll be getting those Golden Girls figures!  I love the Dorothy one!  

Noticed sellers on some sights selling one figure for quite a bit but some comic/video game/collectible specific sites have been a bit more reasonable.

On 6/23/2016 at 9:13 PM, babyhouseman said:

I just finished reading the book mentioned in this article. It's ideal for GG fans. Had things I didn't know. 

ITA, I loved the book.  It really is perfect for diehard fans.  My only little nitpick is that there weren't quotes/comments about every single episode.  I realize that might not have been feasible, I was just greedy and wanted behind-the-scenes tidbits about them all.

I was excited to see there was info about one of my all-time favorite episodes, with Edie McClurg as Nurse Defarge, but then the story Edie told about running over Betty's foot with the wheelchair and Bea not being nice to her kind of bummed me out lol

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/7/2016 at 9:15 AM, TaraS1 said:

I was excited to see there was info about one of my all-time favorite episodes, with Edie McClurg as Nurse Defarge, but then the story Edie told about running over Betty's foot with the wheelchair and Bea not being nice to her kind of bummed me out lol

I'm about halfway through the book, and the more I read about Bea the more I almost wish I hadn't read more about Bea.  Just about every interview so far has described her as "difficult" with a little bit of "shy" thrown in.  I'm a shy person myself so I sympathize, but her behavior as described sounds like plain old "difficult" to me.

I'm loving the behind-the-scenes glimpses into the making of the show, particularly the casting of guest stars.  The original run of the show was just a bit before my time, so I never realized that some of these folks were such big names in tv and therefore a big deal to land.  Though, some characters were obviously more successful than others (*cough* Lily *cough*).    

The saddest (IMO) factoid so far:  The actress who played Becky 1.0 was in a real-life relationship with a Jeremy-type at the time.

The wackiest (IMO) factoid so far:  Rue's niece played one of the hookers in the jail cell scene, but went on from acting to become an animal psychic!

Edited by LilWharveyGal

I agree about the way Bea is portrayed in the book.  Good qualities are there, but her difficult behavior, attitude toward many (especially Betty) and demands have made her seem unpleasant most of the time.  Not convinced that being "shy" is an excuse for her actions.  Still love the show, but after reading the book I look at certain scenes and episodes in a slightly different light.

• Love 2

Well, I finished up the book. I did have two disappointments - namely that there was no commentary on The Libertine Belle, and that the author occasionally made errors (such as stating that George and Jamie were twin brothers) - but perhaps I should be a little less fanatical in my devotion. On the whole it was a treasure trove.

What blew me away most in the second half was that TPTB originally wanted Cher to play Phil's wife, Angela. I can't even imagine what that would have been like!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Well, I finished up the book. I did have two disappointments - namely that there was no commentary on The Libertine Belle, and that the author occasionally made errors (such as stating that George and Jamie were twin brothers) - but perhaps I should be a little less fanatical in my devotion.

Like what, the PLO?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but on this coming Monday (September 19, 10 pm ET)),  getTV  is running an episode of the Merv Griffin Show featuring all the actresses from The Golden Girls.

The Merv Griffin Show

1985 | Featuring Betty White, Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan, And Estelle Getty

In this episode, Merv sits down with the cast of "The Golden Girls" including Betty White, Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan, and Estelle Getty. Originally aired November 5, 1985.

Cast: Estelle Getty, Rue McClanahan, Bea Arthur, Betty White, Merv Griffin

60 minutes

Variety,Talk Show

I love all the cast members and Bea holds a special place in my heart.  I really hate hearing about how "difficult" she was in real life (though she was passionate about many charitable causes).  It makes her seem like a stuck up snob.  It also feels like she was honestly jealous of Betty White's naturally sunny and pleasant personality.  Was Bea Arthur the original Daria?

There was a horrible dance in the nineties called the Urkel, which was started by the infamous character of Steve Urkel.  The reason I bring it up was there was a link on TWOP with Bea Arthur and Jaleel White doing it on stage.  I now wonder if this really happened or if it was a nightmare.

• Love 1