Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

58 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Not gonna lie...I would rather have no crowd noise at all rather than whatever the hell they are doing on FOX.

That's just Joe Buck.

Oh, wait... 

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

One thing I've noticed is that the lack of crowd noise allows the umpires to hear a lot more of the dugout chatter. And they are not above throwing dudes out of the game for stuff they probably wouldn't have heard under normal circumstances.

"Forearm strain", one of the most ominous symptoms a pitcher can have. I wish Verlander well.

I don't mind the fake crowd noise, I can tune that out. But the CGI "fans" are (unlike the cutouts) so uncanny valley that I find them distracting. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

If I just heard Michael Kay correctly on Golic and Wingo, FOURTEEN Marlins have tested positive.  Their game against Baltimore tonight has been cancelled.

This is crazy.

It was a nice season while it lasted!

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It would be a-ok if the Yankees cancelled tonight’s game against the Phils, just to be safe.

Jeff Passan brought up that possibility. He asked how anyone could feel comfortable in that clubhouse.

He also mentioned that some of the Marlins were symptomatic. I wish them well.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If I just heard Michael Kay correctly on Golic and Wingo, FOURTEEN Marlins have tested positive.  Their game against Baltimore tonight has been cancelled.

To add to that, remember the Marlins played "pre-season" games against the Braves in Atlanta last week, and days later both Braves' catchers showed COVID-19 symptoms and missed the team's opening weekend games. I think this whole thing is going to get worse - like @Fukui San said, it was a nice season, well, except for the Mets...

• Love 8

That didn't take long. And Eduardo Rodriguez having heart problems after covid. I'm not a Sox fan but hope he's ok. 

Hope all the Marlins are ok. 

Honestly more than just baseball players- I hope the US can find a way to deal with this and move forward.

• Love 12

I loved watching the Cubs play this weekend. I may have actually teared up when the first pitch was thrown, I have missed it so much. 

Having said that, the covid cases spreading rapidly through the league is really concerning. The Cubs are set to play the Reds tonight, who apparently had a few players out yesterday because they didn't feel well. I'm kind of hoping they cancel the games. I'd really hate to see anyone suffer long term health complications from this, no matter how much joy I personally get from watching the games. 

• Love 10

I don't understand the health protocols. ESPN said the Marlins knew three players had teated positive and they decided to play Phils anyway.

I wonder if they told Phils in advance?

And if a player tests positive why are they allowing the team with the positive to play games (jeopardizing other teams) until the affected team is all tested and cleared?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Looks like the NBA model is the only one that's plausible. If this is happening in MLB, I can't see how the NFL makes it work.

Isn't the NHL in three Canadian hub cities? Maybe that too.

And somehow MMA of all things.

And yet, all of European football is running.

• Love 1

I could have sworn that one of the rules was no high fives and no end of game “good game” lineups, but all weekend I saw that and more.  And when someone hit a home run and went into the dugout, half the guys in there were not wearing masks.

If this is it for the season, they have to take some of the blame for all of their own selves.

• Love 11

Something I have been wondering about - weren't high-fives and such forbidden under the new protocol? Yet, it still goes on. I also saw at least one batter spit something out at home plate. Maybe the winning teams could scrap their post game celebrations. 

@mojoween - great minds think alike - at the same time!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah. There was an outfield collision in one of the Angels games I was watching, and I saw (what at the time I thought was a very smart) moment in which Trout approached his teammate on the ground as one normally would to help him up, and they both simultaneously reached their hands and then pulled them back before touching, like they were catching themselves before touching when they didn't need to. Yet other games, dugout high-fives from various teams. Not. Good.

I know they're not requiring players to wear masks on the field (I don't like it, but that's my understanding of the rule) but in the dugout I don't understand why they wouldn't. And they're making no attempt to distance from each other in the dugout either. This system is doomed.

• Love 10

Weren't they supposed to be spreading players out into the stands, etc.? So far, the commissioner's office has stayed silent on this matter (big surprise). Also, the managers and coaches don't seem to be enforcing these rules. As @mojoween said, if the season is cancelled then they all have to take their share of the blame.

• Love 3

The protocols are confusing to me as well. I noticed most of the bench guys for the Cubs were wearing masks and that starting pitchers who weren't pitching that day were in the stands. And I saw Kris Bryant and Jason Heyward with masks on when they were in the dugout a couple of times, but not many others and not anyone consistently. As for the Brewers, I didn't notice any of them wearing masks in the dugout aside from coaching staff (though I admittedly didn't pay much attention to them). 

Are there rules they've agreed to abide by off the field? Like, basically quarantining so that the team is their "bubble" of accepted socialization? It just seems odd that cased are popping up now after they've been at summer training and presumably mostly quarantined. 

MLS seems to be doing ok too with their tournament at Disney right now. I'm sure they'll be facing similar issues once they try to go back to a regular season as well though. 

• Love 3

I watched a couple of games this weekend and it seemed like no one team followed the same protocol. Some players had on masks in the dugouts, some didn't; some didn't touch or high five, some did; some had players spread out, some didn't. There was no consistency. I wonder if it's a case of the league not being clear enough on the rules, teams not enforcing them, or both? Also, I haven't read enough, but are players staying in their homes or are they quarantined together like the NBA?

Either way, this little season is doomed.

• Love 6
(edited)

What's irritating- I've already heard at least one reporter say- well it's the Marlins so oops but what happens if it's the Dodgers or Yankees?

Like when the Jays have to play in a minor league stadium a lot of reaction was- oh no how will x team react about having to go there?

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Although one manager putting his covering over his face to go yell at the ump while he put his mask on to yell back was kinda funny.

I saw that, too. That was Derek Shelton of the Pirates. He was later asked about it on ESPN, and he said that he and the ump had a chuckle about it later. Priceless!! 😂

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Some players had on masks in the dugouts, some didn't; some didn't touch or high five, some did; some had players spread out, some didn't. There was no consistency. I wonder if it's a case of the league not being clear enough on the rules, teams not enforcing them, or both?

And, if after all this time, players don't understand - or accept, whichever - that they need to wear masks and socially distance in the dugouts, that tells you how they are likely behaving in the clubhouses, on team flights, and in their personal lives. No wonder that 1) players got infected 2) they infected a bunch of teammates.

• Love 2

I love Tito, but I noticed he wore a mask that did not cover his nose.  This is basically common sense, people.  I enjoyed watching the Tribe yesterday, but they should not be playing if their manager can’t figure out the most basic requirement.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I love Tito, but I noticed he wore a mask that did not cover his nose.  This is basically common sense, people.  I enjoyed watching the Tribe yesterday, but they should not be playing if their manager can’t figure out the most basic requirement.

I love Tito, too, but he's been wearing a mask like that since at least the exhibition games. You would think the Indians in particular would be extra careful around Carlos "Cookie" Carrasco, just a year off from his leukemia diagnosis.

Speaking of Cookie, he had his first start yesterday since May 2019. He went 6 innings and struck out 10. 😁

• Love 4

I'm surprised more guys aren't going with the neck gaiters. Some of them are pretty badass looking. I would love to be on the mound staring down a batter looking like I was about to rob a bank.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I'm surprised more guys aren't going with the neck gaiters. Some of them are pretty badass looking. I would love to be on the mound staring down a batter looking like I was about to rob a bank.

He's not a pitcher, but Frankie Lindor has the look down cold!

download.jpeg

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

When the Yankees played the Phillies at the end of Summer Camp, I noticed that Joe Girardi’s mask didn’t cover his nose either.  I was like “C’mon Joe, you’re smarter than that!”

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Headline: “MARLINS GAMES CANCELED DUE TO COVID.” Underneath: “MLB Pretends To Be Shocked Marlins Were The Team To Fuck Up”

On MLB Network, during the Angels/As game, they showed a part of an interview with Manfred. He said the Marlins' games for tonight and tomorrow are cancelled, they are doing additional testing, and depending on the test results, they will go to Baltimore to play the Orioles on Wednesday. I forget the exact wording he used, but sounded non-committal, he didn't say "if the tests come back negative". They are supposed to air the full interview after the game ends.

• Useful 1