Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Apparently Buffalo does not have good enough lights- it would affect the TV broadcasts or so I read. There is also no replay functionality or connections to NY. They could fix it but it would cost time and money. 

They are more likely to play on the road permanently I think.

As a Jays fan it's kind of infuriating nc I think it was all unnecessary. Toronto Public Health approved their plan, so did the provincial medical officer of health. Public opinion was against it though and here we are.

They are a young team, excited about playing and they have to deal with this.

They should just hold a lottery and assign two guys to each other team.

Edited by cleo

Why couldn't the Blue Jays's "home" games in Buffalo be played in the daytime as God intended baseball to be played?    TV viewers shouldn't matter because there are so many at home and so many can watch on devices.  No crowds to contend with, and only 30 games.  Or just put some damn lights up and send the bill to Canada!

• Love 4
On 7/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, smittykins said:

Joe Girardi and Didi look weird in red.

On 7/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, mojoween said:

Was just going to say the exact same thing.  0/10, do not like.

I think they look Phantastic!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I’m having issues with my DirecTV receiver(just certain channels, like ESPN and MLB Network 🤬🤬🤬), so I’m watching it on my iPad app.  It was weird getting the At Bat notification of Stanton’s home run before I actually saw him hit it.

43 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I’m having issues with my DirecTV receiver(just certain channels, like ESPN and MLB Network 🤬🤬🤬), so I’m watching it on my iPad app.  It was weird getting the At Bat notification of Stanton’s home run before I actually saw him hit it.

MY GREATEST BUGABOO.

1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

Why couldn't the Blue Jays's "home" games in Buffalo be played in the daytime as God intended baseball to be played?    TV viewers shouldn't matter because there are so many at home and so many can watch on devices.  No crowds to contend with, and only 30 games.  Or just put some damn lights up and send the bill to Canada!

My thought exactly. Too busy napping to post it. I feel bad for Buffalo because they’re always at the top of the list for relocation or expansion, but their ship never comes in.

• Love 3

Got in the car just as the pre-game show was starting.  And, yeah, I cried.  Fortunately, there's no traffic on the Beltway now, so I didn't hit anyone. 

Got home just as the game started.  I'm so happy it's The Season! 

And, the game sucks.  So, things are normal... 🙂 

I'm hoping we get at least 2 weeks in before it all falls apart...  

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

And MLB has announced there will be 16 playoff teams.

Shoot, I was about to post that. I'm really hoping this is a one-off. When the NFl players had their strike in 1982, didn't the playoffs get expanded to 16 teams as well?

If the playoffs HAVE to expand beyond 2020, it shouldn't go beyond twelve teams. Someone wrote that middle-market tams would have more of a chance if they weren't beaten by richer teams, but I think the lack of teams competing in the postseason feels more "right" than the 16-team piles in the NBA and NHL.

• Love 2

Did I miss it, or did Larry King, (or his personal assistant) not buy a spot for a cardboard cutout of him in his seat behind home plate at Dodger Stadium.?

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Did I miss it, or did Larry King, (or his personal assistant) not buy a spot for a cardboard cutout of him in his seat behind home plate at Dodger Stadium.?

I didn't see it, but I did see the Tommy Lasorda one. The whole assembly of cutout fans behind home plate looked like something out of a Stephen King movie. 😳😳😳😳😳

• LOL 4

At Bat’s closed captioning is...interesting to say the least.

”It is high, it is far back as Guam!  A water shot and the Yankees take a 2-0 lead!”

(On a positive note, my TV reception is now back to normal.)

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

”It is high, it is far back as Guam!  A water shot and the Yankees take a 2-0 lead!”

Ha!

During the actual broadcast, you can hear A-Rod make an "oof" sound about a half a second after the ball left Stanton's bat. Heh.  

As a Yankees fan, I will say that I'm more than a little pleased to have Cole on my team. 

• Love 1

Jeff Passan just said that he thinks the expanded playoffs where more than half the teams make the post-season are here to stay. Ugh.

He added that it paves the path for expansion where franchise fees will help offset losses this year. Ugh. (And good luck trying get stadium money out of covid broke states and cities.)

• LOL 11
13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Now the Blue Jays are talking about playing in Baltimore.

And MLB has announced there will be 16 playoff teams.

Just announced that they will play in Buffalo at their Triple A park.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

So Pennsylvania didn't want the Blue Jays to play in Pittsburgh because they don't want teams coming in from Florida.  But don't the Pirates and the Phillies have home games with the Marlins?

Pretty much everyone in Pittsburgh is baffled by the decision. Like many states, Pennsylvania does have a quarantine in place for visitors from certain states, but they obviously made exceptions for MLB. In addition, the plan was for MLB and the Jays to rent two hotels right across the street from the park where the Jays and their opponents would be effectively quarantined anyway. 

From what I've read, MLB, the Jays and local officials acted in good faith to come up with an acceptable plan based the protocols that earned the Pirates and Phillies exemptions and the state blindsided them for some reason.

• Love 1

The Rangers got permission from the league to have about 150 team employees attend the home opener since it was also technically the first game in the new ballpark. They also had hundreds of those fan picture cut outs around the lower deck seats. The announcers didn't mention there were actual people in the stands for a few innings so when the Rangers drove in a run, there was a roar from the crowd that sounded real (you could tell it wasn't the canned crowd noise). For several seconds, I thought the cut outs had come to life and were cheering and put down my margarita. Then they explained that the personnel were also in attendance. 

• LOL 8

I still hate this fucking guy...

Ex-Brave Chipper Jones is still taunting the Mets on their own turf

The Mets’ plan to “bring” fans into Citi Field via cardboard cutouts this season has backfired ... on Opening Day. And none other than the “Met Killer” Chipper Jones, himself, is the reason.

Jones’ employer, ESPN, reportedly purchased two cardboard cutouts of Jones and his son Shea, which were conveniently displayed right behind the protective netting on the field level at Citi Field; a reminder that no matter the circumstances or players, he owns this team.

It’s been eight years since the last time Jones stepped foot into Citi Field as a player for the Atlanta Braves. He wreaked havoc his entire career with them at Shea Stadium and carried that same legacy with him when the Mets built their new stadium.

• Love 4

There was an article in my paper today by Tim Dahlberg of the Associated Press and one of the paragraphs says 

“Watching from a distance, you might wonder why they were even trying.  While the baseball was decent enough it’s hard to imagine anyone missing the game so much that they’ll find this version of it compelling over a 60-game season.”

What, and I am baffled even asking this, the fuck.  Basically what he was bitching about before that paragraph was the lack of fans in the stands, as if that somehow matters to the action on the field.  I’ve seen this so much by different media and Twitter folks, that the game is diminished without fans and I do not get it.

I mean, I do sort of get it.  The piped-in crowd noise when that one guy hit a walk-off home run yesterday was insufficient, but that still happened whether the stands were empty or not.

Baseball is here!  They are playing the game!  Can’t we just enjoy it?

• Love 8

It was literally the first moment that felt like normal summer to me. That said, I'm still concerned about outbreaks among the players and the whole thing being cancelled. And their health is more important than the joy I get watching. But I was really really reallly surprised at how incredibly uplifting it was to watch a game on TV. And I did not miss the fans in the stands at all. There are millions of us watching at home, every game, every year. Yet somehow the whole thing is pointless if the 35,000 in the stands aren't there? Weird math.

Also, the Oakland game was basically the same as pre-pandemic. 😉

• Love 9

I actually happen to like the piped-in crowd noise. Without it, MLB would feel like golf. Plus, I figure any type of crowd noise equals white noise to the players and helps them get in the zone.

Of course, the crowd noise is also there to drown out certain words from the broadcasts - though I still have heard a couple of F-bombs after a pop out. Like most everything else, it's not a foolproof system. 😉

• Love 5
19 hours ago, xaxat said:

Pretty much everyone in Pittsburgh is baffled by the decision. Like many states, Pennsylvania does have a quarantine in place for visitors from certain states, but they obviously made exceptions for MLB. In addition, the plan was for MLB and the Jays to rent two hotels right across the street from the park where the Jays and their opponents would be effectively quarantined anyway. 

From what I've read, MLB, the Jays and local officials acted in good faith to come up with an acceptable plan based the protocols that earned the Pirates and Phillies exemptions and the state blindsided them for some reason.

Pretty much several in Pittsburgh are concluding that the plan was nixed because the invitation didn't happen in Philadelphia.  Could be a mix of jealously and pettiness.  If something positive happens in Philly (over anywhere else in Pennsylvania) then that's the norm, but when there a disadvantage in Philly, it brings down everyone else, even when it's not warranted.  That's been the beef between Western PA and Philadelphia.  Some would say that it was the right move, but making up statements like we didn't want anyone coming in from Florida.

As mentioned, MLB should've checked with the state and its health department.  That way, they could've said no before breaking news that it was okay.  I believe veteran Post Gazette columnist Ron Cook wondered how they could assume that this could proceed without checking with Dr. Levine and Governor Wolf.  Doesn't matter whatever agendas are there, if that wasn't done then that's on the Blue Jays, Pirates, and MLB.  Sucks that it didn't happen but life continues.

18 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I actually happen to like the piped-in crowd noise. Without it, MLB would feel like golf. Plus, I figure any type of crowd noise equals white noise to the players and helps them get in the zone.

Of course, the crowd noise is also there to drown out certain words from the broadcasts - though I still have heard a couple of F-bombs after a pop out. Like most everything else, it's not a foolproof system. 😉

I'm neutral with the crown noise.  It isn't perfect, which might be the definitive complaint, but I might turn the TV off if it was dead silent during a professional game, fans or not

• Love 2
(edited)

I adore the Phillie Phanatic (well, not his new snout, but I digress), so seeing him in the stands last night, all by his lonesome, made me so sad.

Also, I hate the fucking Marlins.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 1
(edited)

I’m sure I’m hardly the first person to suggest this, but has there been any discussion that teams treat the home games like drive-in movies, and sell tickets by the car load to a limited number of fans to watch the games broadcast outside the stadium in their own cars?  They can cheer/honk when something good happens, noise that could naturally be heard inside the stadium, and then the team could pipe that noise in as well to supplement.   

It would give employment to some of the seasonal ticket-takers and refreshments folks who currently are sh*>* out of luck.

I also like the idea from above about encouraging employees to attend the games, socially distanced of course, to add some ambiance.  

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/24/2020 at 12:01 AM, xaxat said:

I spotted Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest's cutouts sitting next to each other at the Mets/Braves game last night. 😂

Edited by catlover79
10 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

If an extta innings game has a runner starting on second, and he scores, does the first pitcher in that inning get an earned run?

No, they said they will handle it just as if he had gotten on base via an error.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Harry24 said:

This Yankee fan is so happy for Edwin Diaz and the Mets.  So nice to see him smile.

Only the second game of the new season, and he's already back in 2019 form...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Am I weird for wondering if teams should take down the safety nets, just to see what happens to cardboard cutouts when a line drive hits ‘em?

Saw a cutout get decapitated during today's Giants/Dodgers game. It was pretty funny.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2