Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Until I see Gerrit Cole throw an actual pitch to an actual batter in a game that will count in the standings, I will not believe baseball is back.

And even if baseball comes back, the likelihood of it staying around is incredibly slim.

• Love 6

I hope all of the Mets and Yankees living in hotspot states have made it back to the city. Because New York will be imposing a mandatory 14 day quarantine on travelers from those states starting at midnight.

(edited)

And yet they want the Jays to stay in Florida apparently. I assume Marlins and Rays also.

I can't see this season finishing without half the teams having major outbreaks. 

I mean I love baseball and I was incredibly upset when they pulled the plug in spring but I simply cannot see how this will work. 

And from a competitive standpoint- teams will not be on equal ground re risk or the facilities they're in.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5
(edited)

I want baseball back badly. I miss listening to game while sitting on the beach. That said I don't how they are going to do this or what happens if an outbreak on a team happens . They are reporting that people travelling from Fl to NY are going to have to self isolate for 14 days. Is MLB going to be exempt from that? I am assuming they will be.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-cuomo-ny-nj-ct-travel-restrictions-20200624-se6j6lht7be7hcuuum4zawipeu-story.html

I miss baseball I don't think it's worth the risk for a 60 game season .

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 5

I had this vain hope that something good would come out of this pandemic and MLB would scrap that 3 min batter rule. I can live with everything else but I hate that. But of course they're keeping it. 

Jays have approval (almost, one last step) to come to Toronto. I haven't heard detailed plans about teams flying into play- there is still mandatory 14 day quarantine here for travellers) but spec is that they will essentially create a bubble with the hotel attached to the dome.

So that may help the city control rates but the players interacting still face risk I guess.

I have mixed feelings about Bobby Bonilla Day.

On the one hand, GOOD FOR HIM.  That deal is the most Mets-est thing ever.  Turning 5 mil into 30 mil is just *chef’s kiss*.

On the other hand, anything to do with Madoff is just so sad, with the effect that monster had on the lives of people who trusted him.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I have mixed feelings about Bobby Bonilla Day.

On the one hand, GOOD FOR HIM.  That deal is the most Mets-est thing ever.  Turning 5 mil into 30 mil is just *chef’s kiss*.

On the other hand, anything to do with Madoff is just so sad, with the effect that monster had on the lives of people who trusted him.

The Post had an article about it today, and I agree about how it's unbelievable how Madoff affected so many people.

Also, I didn't know this, but the Mets only pay half of the annual $1 million. At some point, I guess through trades, the Orioles ended up on the hook for the other half.

Joke I saw on The Root: That lady who got in the face of the Target worker in upstate NY for wearing a "Black Lives Matter" face mask was wearing a Mets shirt. The Mets shirt is technically classified as a Confederate monument since it celebrates a "lost cause".

• LOL 10
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Joke I saw on The Root: That lady who got in the face of the Target worker in upstate NY for wearing a "Black Lives Matter" face mask was wearing a Mets shirt. The Mets shirt is technically classified as a Confederate monument since it celebrates a "lost cause".

Dude. Not cool. And I’m sure the Mets would disavow the hell out of that lady.

• Love 2

What I don't understand is that the Cubs posted a picture of them having a meeting all spread out in the stands to keep away from each other, but then also posted pictures of players close together while practicing on the field. So covid isn't contagious during batting practice but is during a team meeting? Ok. 

I really hope it works out, but it feels very risky.

• Love 2

I think baseball might regret not trying the bubble strategy. Those plans aren't perfect, but they sure are better than hoping your players can negotiate life in a hot zone.

Gov. Cuomo gave the Yankees and Mets an exemption to his quarantine order so they could return to train, but I don't think he's announced if he will extend it to incoming teams. Maybe if they test everyone before departure? I'm sure a lot of people are ignoring it upon return, but it's going to be hard to hide when the Rays show up at Yankee Stadium after playing their previous game at home. And I'm guessing that more players in hot zones are thinking about hunkering down instead of playing.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

What I don't understand is that the Cubs posted a picture of them having a meeting all spread out in the stands to keep away from each other, but then also posted pictures of players close together while practicing on the field. So covid isn't contagious during batting practice but is during a team meeting? Ok. 

I really hope it works out, but it feels very risky.

From what I’ve been hearing most recently from the doctors and scientists, yes, they sound like they’re operating on doctor’s recommendations and not their own baseball player brains. 

The vast majority of things players do on a baseball field will be low risk. If they’re a meter apart and not coughing or yelling in each other’s face for a couple minutes around the batting cage, they’re fine.  The only thing I can think will be long enough close contact outdoors on a baseball field would be the home plate umpire and catcher. Maybe it’s time to go full electronic balls and strikes.

Meetings are a problem because they typically create the ideal situation of long periods in closed spaces with lots of people close together. That gives lots of time for this particular disease to have its droplets if disease hang around in the air and settle in other people’s lungs. 

I was thinking that the dugouts aren’t a great situation, too enclosed and to close for long periods. They’ll need to put up a few extra fans to get the air circulating in there at a good rate. 

• Love 3

So what do you all think of the Indians possibly changing their name? I would be OK with it only if they named the team after a beloved figure who was a leader on and off the field. I propose the Cleveland Alomars (after Sandy), everybody!!

(edited)

I don’t know if Sean Doolittle planned everything he was going to say or if it was stream of consciousness once he started speaking, but I love him for it.

”Sports is a reward America hasn’t earned yet.”

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7
(edited)
13 hours ago, catlover79 said:

So what do you all think of the Indians possibly changing their name? I would be OK with it only if they named the team after a beloved figure who was a leader on and off the field. I propose the Cleveland Alomars (after Sandy), everybody!!

As a lifelong Clevelander, season ticket holder, and baseball fan, I am fine with the name being changed.  It won't change my love for the team or the game one bit.  I'm not loving the Alomars as a name, though.  I prefer something a little more generic.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

As a lifelong Clevelander, season ticket holder, and baseball fan, I am fine with the name being changed.  It won't change my love for the team or the game one bit.  I'm not loving the Alomars as a name, though.  I prefer something a little more generic.

Well, what (positive) things is Cleveland known for having? “Rockers” is my first thought (along with “Spiders” for history’s sake), but that sounds generic.

ETA: Maybe “Fellers,” as in “fellows” and the Hall of Fame pitcher? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I'm not trying to be sour, but are the names really that necessary? The european soccer teams don't have them. Like, they call Chelsea 'the blues' because that's their uniform color. It would be like calling the Yankees the 'pins' or something (for pinstripe uniforms). 

I totally agree that the offensive names should be removed immediately, but I find the 'history and tradition' argument weak. 

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I'm not loving the Alomars as a name, though.  I prefer something a little more generic.

How about the Mallomars? No controversy, and tasty too!

image.png.15f25cf340a13091ab281572a8036c8b.png

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

After my third trip to the ER for stitches after three separate dishwashing incidents, I was finally able to convince my hubby that we needed a portable dishwasher.

Maybe Jose Quintana should look into one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Stupid question . . . no fans will be allowed at the games, right? I'm just wondering what happens to all those promotional items the teams were suppose to give away. It's more of a passing curiosity than a question I need answered immediately.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Well, what (positive) things is Cleveland known for having? “Rockers” is my first thought (along with “Spiders” for history’s sake), but that sounds generic.

ETA: Maybe “Fellers,” as in “fellows” and the Hall of Fame pitcher? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

We already had the Cleveland Rockers - as in the now-defunct WNBA team. The Fellers isn't a bad idea. Rapid Robert spent his entire career in Cleveland, and was beloved here until his passing in 2010.

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Stupid question . . . no fans will be allowed at the games, right? I'm just wondering what happens to all those promotional items the teams were suppose to give away. It's more of a passing curiosity than a question I need answered immediately.

I heard that a lot of them, like the late season ones, haven’t even been produced yet.  The LeBatard Show tried to get some of the ones that were already made but as far as I know they were unsuccessful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Rockers is too close to Rockies.  I’m not wild about Fellers, as much as I love Mr. Feller.  Too many great players to choose just one.  As much as I love the Spiders logo, my teenager who loves baseball the most is terrified of them (as am I).  It will ruin the team for him.  Is “Tribe” considered offensive?  It’s what I started calling them when the controversy started.

• Love 1

I know at least some of the promotional items that had been produced already (things that were fabric), got turned into masks and distributed. But that might vary by team, and as mentioned, a lot of the orders were likely cancelled so the stuff wasn't produced.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Just got an email from MLB.TV. They are pro-rating (heh) my subscription, you can get your money refunded or have it credited to next year. Fair enough.

However, not even a pandemic will put an end to their ridiculous local blackout policy.

• Love 2

Gary Sanchez threw the ball around the horn.  Because three new people (who would presumably have tested negative, if they were allowed to be on the field) touched the ball, the ump threw it out and sent a new ball to Gerrit Cole.  He wanted the other ball and the ump said no.  He gave up a home run to Miggy Andujar with the new ball.

Cancel the season.

• Love 1
On 7/7/2020 at 6:11 AM, Crs97 said:

Rockers is too close to Rockies.  I’m not wild about Fellers, as much as I love Mr. Feller.  Too many great players to choose just one.  As much as I love the Spiders logo, my teenager who loves baseball the most is terrified of them (as am I).  It will ruin the team for him.  Is “Tribe” considered offensive?  It’s what I started calling them when the controversy started.

I'm afraid of spiders, too - so I don't want that as a team name/logo. I hope that whatever the new name is, the team at least keeps the colors (red, white and blue) and fonts that they've used for years. 

While we're on the subject, MLB should dump the "of Anaheim" with the LA Angels. They don't call the other two teams from one city the New York Yankees of the Bronx or the New York Mets of Flushing. They don't call the other team in LA the Los Angeles Dodgers of...Los Angeles. To do that with the Angels is just stupid.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

While we're on the subject, MLB should dump the "of Anaheim" with the LA Angels.

For the first few years of their existence, in the early 1960s, they were the Los Angels Angels, owned by Gene Autry. When they moved to their new stadium in Anaheim in 1966, they were renamed the California Angels. In the late 1990s, under Disney ownership, the city of Anaheim put up a substantial part of the money to renovate their stadium, with the stipulation that Anaheim be part of the team and stadium name, and the team became the "Anaheim Angels". Fifteen years ago, new owner Arturo Moreno changed them back to the "Los Angeles Angels" but to comply with the deal with the city, included the "of Anaheim" in the official name.

Edited by Moose135
  • Useful 6

Thank you for the explanation, @Moose135. I still think it sounds stupid, but at least now I know the details.

In 1998, I went to SoCal on vacation. The Indians happened to be there in Anaheim playing the Angels. I went to one of the games and had a great time there. It's still the only time I've been to an Indians game on the road.

• Love 4

I’m at work using my phone as a hot spot, so I can’t find a link to share. Apparently, the next 30 For 30 miniseries from ESPN will spotlight the 1986 New York Mets. Seems about right after The Last Dance, and my image of those guys have been broken already. What’s left? “Rick Aguilera was balls-deep in a pile of prostitutes during Game 6, and that’s why he almost lost the game for the Mets.”

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

“Rick Aguilera was balls-deep in a pile of prostitutes during Game 6, and that’s why he almost lost the game for the Mets.”

Hey, you never know. Those were the days when everyone was doing coke.

And one of the biggest dealers was the Pirates' mascot.

• Love 1

Here’s a link. Wondering if this could have been made if Bill Simmons was still employed by ESPN. His beloved Red Sox have won four titles this century, and I bet he still has nightmares about Game 6.

“As the four players from New York were arrested for fighting in a Houston bar, backup catcher Ed Hearn shot three other men in a restroom just to watch them die.”

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Hey, you never know. Those were the days when everyone was doing coke.

And one of the biggest dealers was the Pirates' mascot.

The guy in the parrot suit?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Aroldis Chapman, the third Yankee in a week, has been diagnosed with COVID.

Guys.  Stay the hell away from each other.  Also, cancel the season.

Much as I love baseball, I'm seriously wondering if a 60-game season is really worth all this trouble. 

• Love 11

I watched the TWIB episodes from 1977-1978. I started really watching games in 1983 and I followed the Mets, so there were some things that surprised me. Example: I didn't know Bud Harrelson played second base after he left the Mets. Also, Keith Hernandez before the mustache. That was just weird. I think he did shave it off late in his career, but seeing him barefaced in a Cardinals uniform felt unnatural. Also awkward: highlights featuring Bill Buckner. And there was a Phillie named Mike Tyson, which amused me.

About the renaming of the Cleveland baseball team . . . how about Barons? I figured that since the Colorado Rockies name was used for their NHL team that wound up moving to New Jersey, maybe Cleveland could recycle their short-lived hockey nickname.

I don't really like the Barons. (Besides, I once dated a guy with that last name...not good memories.) Anyway, I don't think the Rockers is a good choice, either - our now-defunct WNBA franchise was named that.

Scott Kingery from the Phillies has gone into detail about his battle with Coronavirus. He's since rejoined the team and is doing well now, but I found the article well worth reading.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/phillies-infielder-scott-kingery-talks-about-hell-coronavirus%3famp