Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

25 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

It's picking up my mood today. 

The music alone does it for me.

It's a great thing that fans can watch almost any game they want now. (Thanks stupid blackout rule!) But I feel a strong sense of nostalgia for the days when entirety of my baseball watching was Braves, Cubs, the Game of the Week and TWIB.

• Love 3

When you watch This Week In Baseball as an adult, or if you hear "Jet Set" (the opening theme) or "Gathering Crowds" (the closing), where do you go? For me: Sundays, 1 p.m. I forget if it broadcast on WPIX (the Yankees' home channel) or WOR/WWOR (broadcasting the Mets).

I got into baseball in 1983. The episodes FS1 showed today were from '82 and '83. When the Mets were shown tuning a sweet double play in the '82 episode, I kept pausing to see who was involved. Thanks to the Internet, the pitcher was Jesse Orosco (the year before he went to the All-Star Game for the first time), and it went from Bob Bailor (2B; not 100 percent positive because I couldn't make out the number) to Ron Gardenhire (SS) to Dave Kingman. And then there was another: Ellis Valentine (shipped out after the season) nailing a guy at third (Hubie Brooks, a fan favorite and part of the package to get Gary Carter).

I had a blast. Only remotely painful segment was a profile on Bill Buckner of the Dodgers in 1983. There was a bit on his fielding, which . . . ouch. Damn. Owwwwwwwwwww.

The Eighties were a far different time. Lack of information gathering (including no cable for me until I moved out of Brooklyn) meant I had to rely on the folksy Mel Allen to show me what was doing around the majors.

Oh, and ESPN/Sports Classic used to air TWIB in the early mornings, adding the standings at the time the episode was broadcast. I'm thinking if this bullshit lasts longer, Fox Sports, ESPN or MLB might make a deep dive into the archives and air Home Run Derby.

ETA: I think it was WPIX. And funny that I mentioned Gary, because one of the last scenes of one set of closing credits was back when he was in Montreal, jumping on Dennis Martinez after his perfect game.

ETA2: I'm going to bed. Just thought I'd add the bit with Rick Dempsey messing around on a tarp during a rain delay. He had a big ball for a belly and a Robin Yount jersey. This happened in Milwaukee. Dempsey was with the Orioles. Try to get away with that today. And the real Yount didn't seem to mind too much.

ETA3: I swear, I’m going to bed. Just had to mention that Bob Welch got a segment in the ‘83 episode for pitching a 1-0 shutout and driving in the only run of the game with a homer. The next time that happened: Noah Syndergaard, last year. 🤓🤓

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA3: I swear, I’m going to bed. Just had to mention that Bob Welch got a segment in the ‘83 episode for pitching a 1-0 shutout and driving in the only run of the game with a homer. The next time that happened: Noah Syndergaard, last year.

While they didn't hit home runs, Met pitchers had an Amazin' day in 1969 - I was a little kid, it was my first year following them, and I still remember it today.

September 12, 1969 in a doubleheader against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Forbes Field, the Mets won the first game 1-0 on a Jerry Koosman 3-hit shutout; Koosman drove in the only run of the game on a single. In the second game, Don Cardwell pitched 8 innings of no run, 4-hit ball and drove in the only run in another 1-0 Met win, with Tug McGraw pitching the 9th inning for the save.

17 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Do they even have enough money? I know they're rich, but . . .

No they don't. There's probably a hedge fund manager or similar type fronting the major cash. They'll be minority owners that are the face of the team. Kind of like Jeter.

• Love 2

I’ve been watching Yankees at Angels from last year for the past three days and the amount and volume of cheering for New York is astonishing.  If you didn’t look at the TV, you would think it was a Yankee home game

And Trout was playing.  So what’s up with that?

Also it’s very loud in Anaheim Stadium or whatever it’s called.  Holy moly there is not one second of silence to be had.

• Love 2

YES interviewed Yankee fan Dr. Anthony Fauci about the prospects of having baseball this year. Sounds like he thinks it's possible to have a shortened season this year. 

• Love 4

Totally agree. Sox fans crowing about Cora being exonerated and want him back agter suspension.

He is still a sleazy cheater. The fact thst he didn't repeat the scheme in Boston that they had in Houston is more about the Astros org being totally on board with it, not that he is some innocent that deserves redemption. 

Hinch too. But you know some team will hire them both.

• Love 5

While I am not fond of the idea of all games being played in one city/state, I can live with it.  Seven-inning doubleheaders don’t bother me.  But, I hate the idea of mixing up the leagues/divisions.  Having playoffs where there could be, for instance, 7 teams from one league and three from the other and a WS with two same-league teams is just too, idk, different for me. 

What the hell would they do about the DH that would be fair to both sides?  

• Love 3

I don't think AL and NL should be mixed either. But given our circumstances, I think this could be a primo time for experimentation - hey, fans, we know you're fans, we respect you, but this season is basically out. Instead of canceling the whole thing, let's try something really different this just this year. Still have the AL/NL world series for a little tradition, but I think mixing it up could be a lot of fun. 

I'd like to see a shortened season get back to more stealing bases, etc. 

• Love 1

I feel like it's petty but it bothers me the Astros will get to avoid playing in front of fans. Given they all got off scot free I thought they should at least have to hear directly the response from fans. 

I'm not a fan of any of the proposed changes but I would accept it to have any baseball. I'm just skeptical any of it is actually going to come to pass.

• Love 7

I'm not against the actions being contemplated to start a season in 2020. However, given the potential changes to the game,

Short season

DH for all teams

Only a handful of teams have home field

That home field is subject to team sequester and no fans

Radical realignment etc.

I really hope they don't call the culminating games the World Series. Because it will be historically unique (for understandable reasons) from any other season in the history of the game.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was poking around cable just now. For any Mets fans reading this, SNY is running classic Opening Day games. I’m not sure why they never throw in 1985, when newly-acquired Gary Carter hit a walkoff homer at Shea.

But here’s the real kicker: this coming week, SNY will be showing all five games of the 1969 World Series. Check out some of the greatest moments in team history . . . the dramatic catches, JC Martin’s daring bunt, manager Gil Hodges calmly telling an ump that his guy was hit by a pitch as Earl Weaver slowly loses his mind, and more!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ESPN ranks each and every World Series. Where does your favorite place? 🤔

I think the bottom three should be 1919, 2017 (which is ranked WAY too high given the cheating), and 2018 because: bribes, cheating, and cheating, respectively.  I also thought 1997 was ranked WAY too low, and the reasoning was stupid.  I'd have ranked 2016 in the top five (maybe even three) because of the emotion fueling everything, but I can't really argue with the top two.

• Love 1

It was nice to see the 1991 Twins vs. Atlanta series at #2. Game 7 was a nail-biter, 0-0 into extra innings. It was a Worst to First series - both teams had been at the bottom of their leagues the previous year.

• Love 1
(edited)

Watching KBO game between Bears and Twins and rather than calling the game Karl and Eduardo decided to chat with someone who droned on and on about no fans in the stands without having the game on. He can disappear and never show up again IMO.

Edited by rcc

I hate when the announcers drag somebody into the booth or by remote from the stands and they yammer on about something other than the action on the field.  I tuned in to watch a baseball game not a gabfest about some tangential topic.  Save it for the pre/post show.

Confession - I’m not missing baseball as much as I thought I would.  But then again, I seem to have slipped into a sloth-like state lately. 

• Love 2
On 5/4/2020 at 4:24 PM, NUguy514 said:

I also thought 1997 was ranked WAY too low, and the reasoning was stupid.  I'd have ranked 2016 in the top five (maybe even three) because of the emotion fueling everything

I'm STILL crying over the outcomes of those Series. 😭😭😭😭😭

(edited)

Watching Game 3 on SNY. Got to hear Casey Stengel get interviewed. The guy was a trip, even during his peak years managing the Yankees.

Damn, Davey Johnson was a baby back in 1969.

Any day now, I expect to hear that fantasy leagues have been set up for KBO. It's inevitable.

ETA: Just saw the same guy interview Jerry Lewis. Also in attendance: Pearl Bailey and Jackie Onassis. Now I'm wondering if I should have seen who showed up to the games in Baltimore. I did see Babe Ruth's widow throw the first pitch of Game 1.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, smittykins said:

Bartolo’s home run was four years ago today.  Where has the time gone?

Oddly enough, SNY isn’t showing that tonight. That episode of Mets Classics will sir tomorrow at 6 a.m.

I did catch the tail end of the Mets walking off on the Yankees in 1999, clinching their first Subway Series win. Great to see Matt Franco go 0-2 and the Yankees fans getting ready to party. After a probable third strike from Mariano, Franco drove in Rickey Henderson and Edgardo Alfonzo for the 9-8 win.

For any Mets fans: next week, SNY will run the 1986 NLCS.

Watching the Mets win the 1969 World Series. Epic party in the locker room . . . Seaver, Koosman, Al Weis, Ed Charles, Gil Hodges and his wife, principal owner Joan Payson, Mayor Lindsey . . .

• Love 1

This year, the YES Network has been doing a simulation of the Yankees season via MLB The Show 20 on their YouTube channel.  Last night, they had Michael Kay, Paul O’Neill, and David Cone provide the calls.

I miss live baseball. *sigh*

• Love 1

I think they need at least half a season.  Less than that just doesn’t seem right.  Too bad they couldn’t move up the WBC, they could have that instead of a short MLB season.

I hope they have given up on playing into November and/or “neutral” sites.

And they better give a lot of thought to what they will do if there is a second wave of the virus.  Assuming they stick with no leagues and three divisions, what would they do if, for instance, NYC is hit hard again?  Or any other area - assuming in LA, SF, NY or Chicago you would alternate which team from the area is at home you would still have a home and visiting team in the city at all times.  God forbid the Dodgers and Angels are both at home when an outbreak happens.  You could have four teams stuck in SoCal for who knows how long.

I would think that any interruption of more than two or three games would have to end the season.

• Love 4

Watching SNY. Keith Jackson welcomes viewers to the 1976 NLCS. That was a bit alarming. Tim McCarver figures teams wouldn’t score more than five runs in a game. As much as we ride him, he wasn’t far off.