Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Speaking as a Yankees fan, even I agree it's been too much.  Around the time of Jeter's 40th birthday, Yankees.com had no less than *three* articles on the milestone, which most people(who are fortunate to live that long)will attain anyway.

I've said this before (over on TWoP) and I'll say it again.  I don't like it when players go on a "farewell tour" and the season becomes all about them and that's why I respected my baseball boyfriend emeritus Greg Maddux even more when he announced his retirement after the season ended, claiming he didn't want a dog and pony show.

While I agree with the estimable Aim on the ickiness of farewell dog-and-pony shows, I disagree that the whole 'announcing it in advance' is in and of itself a bad thing. My view is that it's nice to give the fans a chance to say goodbye during the season. I bet even Aim would have leapt at the opportunity to give her boyfriend emeritus a blown kiss or a waved hankie* as he stepped onto the mound, The organized gift ceremonies, on the other hand, are awkward at best, lugubrious and tacky at worst.

*Why I picture Aim as a southern belle sipping a julep and fanning herself while she murmurs "I do declare Mistah Maddux has filthy stuff today" is a question best left unexamined. Seriously. ;)

• Love 1

*Why I picture Aim as a southern belle sipping a julep and fanning herself while she murmurs "I do declare Mistah Maddux has filthy stuff today" is a question best left unexamined. Seriously. ;)

Heh, I love it even if the description couldn't be further from the truth (in actuality I'm a nice Jewish girl originally from Noo Yawk who just happens to live in Floriduh).  But fiddle dee dee, I do declare!

Interestingly, my first experience with the Farewell Tour in person was when the Yankees played the Braves and there was a ceremony for Chipper. They gave him third base (of a ballpark he hardly played at) and then he wasn't in the lineup. I thought the whole thing was bizarre and then two Yankees that I've liked my entire life of sports fandom went and did the same thing!

Hey! Ballot box stuffing is a time honored tradition for the MLB All Star game!

Back when I was a kid (way before internet voting) I would walk out the Three Rivers with fistfulls of ballots. One year I experimented with pounding a nail through multiple ballots to increase my efficiency. Little chads everywhere.

Two years ago, I personally filled out at least twenty-five ballots in one sitting.  I was at Turner Field, and the ballots were sitting out unsupervised.

I've said this before (over on TWoP) and I'll say it again.  I don't like it when players go on a "farewell tour" and the season becomes all about them and that's why I respected my baseball boyfriend emeritus Greg Maddux even more when he announced his retirement after the season ended, claiming he didn't want a dog and pony show.

While I think the Jeter tribute was over the top and excessive at the ASG, I wasn't annoyed by his "farewell tour".  St. Louis is a huge baseball town, and they love good players - regardless of team.  They had a great tribute at the Yankees last game in Busch Stadium.  I think he started but was pulled after one at bat.  He seemed touched, and the fans enjoyed it.

Unfortunately with 15 teams in each league there will always be interleage matchups out of necessity.  I hated interleague when it started and I still don't like it now.

I can't stand interleague play.  I despise the DH, and frankly, I just don't know any American League players.  It also takes away from the World Series - where the two teams are meeting for possibly the first time.  It also takes away from the fun of two teams from the same city having a cross town match, the Cubs and White Sox for example.

I really like it when Paul O'Neill does games. He has such a goofy sense of humor. Today he was disappointed when a fan wearing his jersey failed to go hard after a foul ball, believing that he should have been willing to dive through people and over seats to get it. Then he realized that had the fan done it his way, the guy probably would have been taken out of the stadium in cuffs.

(edited)

I've always liked Chip, but his father?  Skip Caray droned on endlessly.

I loved Skip's sense of humor. Glark's, uh, David Cole's announcement saying prospective mods would be getting $0/mo. reminded me of one of the better ways to say someone would be getting nothing.

On the TBS Hawks broadcast they would have a player on the Mike Fratello show and the player would get some gift certificate to a local restaurant and then Skip would say. "And to Mike Fratello, he gets my warmest personal regards." I still use that.

Edited by AimingforYoko

I hope the next farewell tour worthy player (Pujols?) just tells everyone to send money to his charity instead of inflicting us (and themselves) with these oh so awkward memento presentations. Here's a surf board/guitar/piece from our old stadium! (That you never really wanted!)

Once in a while they're able to give the player something meaningful.   Last year, the Red Sox gave Rivera something unique - and it was a reminder they'd never have to use it again: the pitcher number 42 slide from the Green Monster scoreboard.  Given that when Mo autographed the wall of the bullpen, he made a point to add "Last to wear #42," I think the significance of that really meant something to him.

I'm with those who hate the preponderance of interleague play.  The entirety of Bud Selig's tenure has been about consolidating power in the Commissioner's office at the expense of the two leagues (they used to have actual presidents, and the only time a dispute went to the Commissioner was in an interleague trade or during the World Series), essentially turning MLB into the "league" and the AL and NL into conferences within it.  Just add two more expansion teams (Charlotte, Indianapolis, Portland, Oregon: pick any two) and get rid of this 15/15 nonsense.

I'll be more than happy to talk about this all day; it takes my mind off the Red Sox.

On the TBS Hawks broadcast they would have a player on the Mike Fratello show and the player would get some gift certificate to a local restaurant and then Skip would say. "And to Mike Fratello, he gets my warmest personal regards." I still use that.

I met Mike Fratello circa 1990 when I still lived in Atlanta.  For a basketball coach I was surprised by how tiny he was in real life.

Back to the subject at hand (MLB), Fratello pissed off a lot of Braves fans during the magical 1991 season by sitting in the Dodgers dugout wearing a Dodgers jersey when the two teams were battling it out for the NL West title.  Yes, I understand the Brooklyn Dodgers were his hometown team and I had no problem with that but the 1991 season wasn't the time or place to do that!

(edited)

he gets my warmest personal regards." I still use that.

That's a good one. Around Casa Rat we say, "and I offer you a hearty handclasp,", (from The Bank Dick with W.C. Fields).

Edited by ratgirlagogo

What the hell is wrong with Colby Lewis?  He's upset that the Jays bunted against him when they were only up 2-0?  It's an unwritten rule that you don't do that when the game is out of reach?  Do you really think 2-0 is out of reach?  And it the game was out of reach, why were the Rangers in a shift?

• Love 1

This weekend marks what is, in my extremely biased opinion, the greatest Hall of Fame induction class since the very first class.  I don't regret my decision not to go to Cooperstown this weekend since they're expecting record crowds and I think my boyfriend Greg Maddux will understand.  A friend of mine will be there as he goes every year so I'm hoping he can snap a picture or two for me.

Chicks dig the long ball.

• Love 4

This weekend marks what is, in my extremely biased opinion, the greatest Hall of Fame induction class since the very first class.  I don't regret my decision not to go to Cooperstown this weekend since they're expecting record crowds and I think my boyfriend Greg Maddux will understand.

I wonder if there will be record low traffic in Atlanta :) .

I don't know if it's "the greatest Hall of Fame induction class since the very first class," (I'd be willing to bet that there's at least one person in America who would say the 1993 class was the greatest ever ;), but it's definitely an excellent one and has three of the greatest managers of the modern era (and that's coming from a Red Sox fan).

I don't know if it's "the greatest Hall of Fame induction class since the very first class," (I'd be willing to bet that there's at least one person in America who would say the 1993 class was the greatest ever ;), but it's definitely an excellent one and has three of the greatest managers of the modern era (and that's coming from a Red Sox fan).

Again, it's the greatest in my extremely biased opinion :)

Aim, that's funny...I was just thinking of you this morning, wondering if you were going to go. I'm only about an hour away from Cooperstown but I wouldn't even think of trying to drive there.

I actually planned to go as I have more than enough frequent flyer miles to get to Albany but when I heard about the sheer number of people expected coupled with the fact it would have to be a quick turn around trip for me I decided that even though I promised myself 20 years ago I'd be there for this day it really wasn't logical.  Perhaps I'll visit later this year when I can actually see things.

Aww, who knew the Big Hurt was a big ol' marshmallow softie!  (Although I have to deduct points for him not carrying a hankie of his own. Thank goodness what's-his-name of the HoF bailed him out. Teamwork!) His kids (or as I mentally refer to them, the Family Hurt) are Good. Looking.

Anybody catch the close-up on Willie Randolph and his sweet Yogi Berra cap? Want.

I was going to wonder why Glavine isn't in a booth somewhere, when I looked him up and learned he is (Color for the Braves: Shock! not). His speech was the best structured and delivered, imo.

Torre's in trouble in the NY tabs this morning for failing to thank Steinbrenner(s). Oops!

(edited)

I missed Frank's speech because I had to be somewhere but I fully intend to find it online when I get home from work tonight.

My inner 12 year old laughed hysterically when Greg Maddux thanked his brother for the science lesson on methane and a lighter.

Pardon the duplicate post as I can't get the edit feature to work on my post above but I wanted to say that Ernie Banks, even in his grandpa years, is still very good looking man.  He's someone I'd really like to meet.

Edited by MyAimIsTrue

I know the schedules are made long before the seasons start but the fact that the Yankees are closing the season on the road two years in a row is incredibly irritating. I mean, of all the times this could happen, Mo had to say goodbye three games early and Jete is ending his career in Boston. What the frak.

I think I read somewhere, on TWoP, maybe? that there used to be a husband and wife team who did the scheduling but they retired or quit before last season and that's why NY ended in Houston last year. I mean, Jete ending in Boston is better than Houston, but still. Annoying.

Torre's in trouble in the NY tabs this morning for failing to thank Steinbrenner(s). Oops!

Not all the NY papers.  Just the New York Post, which predictably has the only people in New York City on its editorial staff who like George Steinbrenner more than Joe Torre.  Sheesh.  The contrast  between the Daily News coverage and the Post coverage is striking.  I am old enough to remember when both papers had polls in the 80's and Steinbrenner was less popular than Son of Sam.

I finally watched the Frank Thomas speech last night and I think I cried as much as he did.  Hopefully his entry into the Hall will open the doors for Edgar Martinez, who I think should have been inducted already.  He'd get my vote if I had one.

• Love 2
I am going in to the end of the season expecting the worst

That's the best plan for all Yankees fans. Join the Red Sox on the underbelly of .500!

I mean, Jete ending in Boston is better than Houston, but still. Annoying.

I envision a dream scenario where neither team is playoff bound, but it's like, a one-run game, and Girardi tries to do that "retirement" thing, where he sends out Brendan Ryan out in the bottom of the 8th to take Jeter's position so everyone can "cheer" him one last time. BUT!  Jeter instead punches out Ryan and rejects the idea of "coming out of the game" -- he is Cap'n Intangibles after all -- and he ends up running all over the field, Benny Hill style, no one can catch him --- until he dives to the left like he's going for a groundball to center (alas, that's his true weakness) and then he's dragged towards the dugout --- but he breaks free! and dives into the 3b/ LF stands, thinking it's Yankee Stadium circa 2004, but... it's Fenway Park!  And he's torn limb to limb by crazed hateful Red Sox fans .. and that would be the last of Derek Jeter.

Wait, did I type out this whole dream? Am I gonna click 'reply'?

• Love 7

First, many people would catch him. Dude's old. Second, it ain't Benny Hill style without the saxophone coming over the PA. (I bet Fenway has that available, though. If they don't, they should.)

(I can't believe I'm joking about this. Snif!)

• Love 2

"LOL"  Thanks for all the likes. I thought "if I click reply I'm gonna get banished from the MLB thread."  Mojo, attica and all the Yankees fans, thank you for accepting my dread of the last month of ass-kissing for Jeter that I will have to endure.

I know the schedules are made long before the seasons start but the fact that the Yankees are closing the season on the road two years in a row is incredibly irritating. I mean, of all the times this could happen, Mo had to say goodbye three games early and Jete is ending his career in Boston. What the frak.

I think I read somewhere, on TWoP, maybe? that there used to be a husband and wife team who did the scheduling but they retired or quit before last season and that's why NY ended in Houston last year. I mean, Jete ending in Boston is better than Houston, but still. Annoying.

I'm a Giants fan and they are making not one, not two, not three but FOUR trips to the East Coast in the second half of the season. One is done but they still have three more to go, one of which involves them staying for only three games, and this is after they went to play two games against the White Sox in the first half with no visits to any surrounding teams in that time zone. Colorado being in Mountain Time does not make it an "Eastern" team, schedulers!

(edited)
<I think this Nike ad featuring Derek Jeter is pretty maudlin>

Oh, dear heavens, they blurred out Mr. Met's face! HAHAheeeeee

Mr. Met is clearly the star of that ad.  I'm a Yankee fan, but the Jeter overkill is making me almost dislike the guy, just the way it did in anticipation of his 3000th a few years ago.

On another topic, does anyone else think Adrian Beltré looks a LOT like Willie Mays?

Edited by Harry24

BUT! Jeter instead punches out Ryan and rejects the idea of "coming out of the game" -- he is Cap'n Intangibles after all -- and he ends up running all over the field, Benny Hill style, no one can catch him --- until he dives to the left like he's going for a groundball to center (alas, that's his true weakness) and then he's dragged towards the dugout --- but he breaks free! and dives into the 3b/ LF stands, thinking it's Yankee Stadium circa 2004, but... it's Fenway Park! And he's torn limb to limb by crazed hateful Red Sox fans .. and that would be the last of Derek Jeter.

Wait, did I type out this whole dream? Am I gonna click 'reply'?

That's not a dream, it's the end of "Fever Pitch" :-) Of course, Drew Barrymore was far cuter than Jeter (IMHO).

So the Sox appear to be dumping their pitching but I am bummed about them getting Cespedes for Lester. I love watching Cespedes play but not any more! And just in time for a series with the Yanks, WTF.

Well, my "Derek Jeter's last day in Boston" dream was shattered already:  Yankees DFA Brian Roberts! As if that was the stirring detail that I'd get wrong.

Of course, if I'm allowed to edit my piece... now, Stephen Drew will jog out to replace Jeter, and after Jeter slugs him the Fenway crowd *may* give their standing ovation at that moment.

It's a sad day for us seven baseball fans in Florida as David Price was traded from the Rays to the Tigers.  Unless this was strictly a financial decision by the Rays it makes absolutely no sense to me as they've been playing good ball lately an are in contention, so why get rid of your best pitcher?  Damn good pick up for Detroit, though, as the best rotation in baseball just got even better.

On the Houston side, their network has unsuccessfully tried to play hardball with several of the cable/dish companies in negotiations to carry the channel. So a lot people don't have access to the channel.  

Even taking that into account, zero is a low number. And it's not the first time it has happened to them.

Yankee fan here. I watched the Core Four Plus One (Bernie Williams who will finally get a "Day" at the Stadium) since 1996/97 and really consider myself lucky to have experienced the Dynasty.

Jeter has never been my "favorite" player as I am more fond of Bernie, Posada and Pettitte . The NY Daily News has a Jeter Countdown detailing what he's done each game. I think it's beyond silly. Not sure if Baltimore did the same for Cal,  for instance but I understand why a newspaper would do that. I honestly don't remember if it was done for Mariano last year.

After saying all that, I have found myself being a bit sentimental and sad about Derek retiring. It really is something else to see a kid come up and be special for 20 years. Others may have had more pure talent (A Rod) or more range but this guy is really probably the smartest and most level headed player I've seen from this organization.. (I go back to the Horace Clark era as far as being aware of baseball). Those who haven't had the privilege to see him everyday wonder why he has always gotten the accolades, even other ballplayers have said so. But many players who've become Yankees are often quoted as saying that seeing him everyday has turned around their opinion of him.

I think all athletes should try to emulate Jeter. Not to be clones but to be respectful and yes I will say it, classy. Just about every team has their own "Jeter". Our Jeter just had the great fortune to play on some of the best teams ever in the biggest market there is , for an owner at the time who was willing to spare no expense to at least try to get a competitive team. George was vilified for a long time and often rightly so. But now fans really just want that same dedication by ownership. I'm sure Tiger, Dodger and Rays fans love that their owners are always working towards that. Maybe not with so much bombast as George but with the same desire.   

It's always good for the nations fans to see and honor the likes of Jeter and whomever else you'd like to name. Fans hate ballplayers mostly because they play for the arch rival team. But when the careers end we can all step back and appreciate these same foes. I remember not ever liking the Big Red machine of Cincy. But at the end when the Benches, Morgans, Concepion's retired I remember thinking just how good they really were and I'm happy to say I saw those guys play on the Game of the Week or when they came to town to play the Mets.

Jeter really is a legend.