Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Okay. So.

Im trying to burn off DVR space, but I turn to SNY to see how the Mets are doing. Down by three in the bottom of the ninth. Hit, hit, Todd Frazier homer. Tie game. They get two outs, but manage to get two runners on base. And then Michael Conforto laces a hit for his first career walkoff.

The Devil has to be involved. Contracts had to have been signed. Souls had to have been used as currency. Holy shit, what is up with the Mets?!?

Huh...  good thing we didn't bother to haul our asses out to Not-Shea Stadium for that.   🙂 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I have to say that Puig has had a very nice  start in Cleveland.  Very nice.

And the Indians, 11 and 1/2 games behind the Twins at the end of May, have caught them.  Whodathunkit?

• Love 3
On 8/10/2019 at 5:33 AM, doodlebug said:

And the Indians, 11 and 1/2 games behind the Twins at the end of May, have caught them.  Whodathunkit?

And Jake Odorizzi says, "Not so fast."

So Houston beat the O's 23-2 last night. Here's the thing that baffles me: How does Detroit have a worse record?

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

So Houston beat the O's 23-2 last night. Here's the thing that baffles me: How does Detroit have a worse record?

We've lost fewer games by more runs? 

Going to the game today.  Because it's part of my season ticket plan.  And my brother is here from Italy and hasn't been to a game in a long time, so why not make him suffer along with us?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Thought: back in 2015, when the Mets were flailing helplessly, manager Terry Collins said something about resorting to human sacrifice to turn things around. Lo and behold, they managed to rebound and play deep into October.

Question: did Mickey think of something similar? If so, did he go through with it? I mean, how else can you explain the Mets’ run?

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

To paraphrase that great philosopher, Meatloaf: 'Three out of four ain't bad.'

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Going to the game today.  Because it's part of my season ticket plan.  And my brother is here from Italy and hasn't been to a game in a long time, so why not make him suffer along with us?  

You didn’t leave early, did you? The ninth inning was the most exciting part.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

You didn’t leave early, did you? The ninth inning was the most exciting part.

We stayed till the not-bitter end. It was fun, then it wasn't, then it was really fun. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Thought: back in 2015, when the Mets were flailing helplessly, manager Terry Collins said something about resorting to human sacrifice to turn things around. Lo and behold, they managed to rebound and play deep into October.

Question: did Mickey think of something similar? If so, did he go through with it? I mean, how else can you explain the Mets’ run?

@Lantern7, I look forward to our posts when the Indians play the Mets next week in NY!! ☺

Edited by catlover79
(edited)

Random observation:  The Padres have a pitcher named Joey Lucchesi(pronounced Loo-KAY-see).  The Ford dealership in my town, before it was bought out by Billy Effing Fuccillo, was called Luchessi(pronounced Loo-CHESS-ee)Ford.

Edited by smittykins
5 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Random observation:  The Padres have a pitcher named Joey Lucchesi(pronounced Loo-KAY-see).  The Ford dealership in my town, before it was bought out by Billy Effing Fuccillo, was called Luchessi(pronounced Loo-CHESS-ee)Ford.

Was that Ford dealership HUUUUUUUUUUG-AH?

Topic...that Tatis kid is pretty good eh?

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Baseball?  Never heard of it.

Come now. Gleyber just homered, and now the Yankees are only down by 14 runs! Let’s see John Sterling hype that!

Sorry, @mojoween. You post something like that, I immediately check YES.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I don't think I've ever seen Bryce run that fast around the bases. 

I've watched it back at least five times so far, including all the camera angles, Bryce's interview (thought it was funny that he mentioned the light in his parents' suite was out, thanks mom and dad), Kruk's interview in the post-game. Even Kapler didn't annoy the hell out of me.

Wow!!

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I've watched it back at least five times so far, including all the camera angles, Bryce's interview (thought it was funny that he mentioned the light in his parents' suite was out, thanks mom and dad), Kruk's interview in the post-game. Even Kapler didn't annoy the hell out of me.

Wow!!

He probably would have run faster but Rhys was in front if him 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, lb60 said:

Wow!!

The post-game show had a great line about what was faster the exit velocity or Bryce's run around the bases.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

And here they are - your local broadcasting team rankings for 2019:

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/your-2019-local-mlb-announcer-rankings.html#main-content

At least we're in the top 5 of something.  (Well, technically, we're in the top 5 of our division, but that really doesn't count).

I actually like (and miss greatly) the 30th place broadcast team. I wish I had sports channels on my basic DirecTV package.

• Love 1

I am really perplexed (or possibly I'm just atypical) but I find the Padres broadcasting team terrible and have for years. And yet there they are with the lowest percentage of Fs. For a hot minute I thought maybe the score was skewed by the sometimes presence of Tony Gwynn Jr and people being sentimental for anything Gwynn, but he wasn't even included in the list. I don't get it. Hard to argue with the rest of the top 10.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I won’t discuss the Yankees 16th place grade because I feel like that’s ballot-stuffing by the haters.

6 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Michael Kay is back!

See, I think there's a connection between these two points.  I don't wish voice trouble on anyone, but it was sure nice not to have Kay in my living room for the last month.  I find him both boring and overbearing.  And definitely not as funny as he thinks he is.

Also, Paul O'Neill is very lovable (political opinions aside), but he isn't exactly enlightening or interesting.  Kenny S and David C are fantastic.  So ... a decidedly mixed bag of announcers IMO.  Middle of the pack sounds about right to this Yankee fan.

• Love 2

I looove Paulie.  Part of that is residual fondness for beating the A’s in 1990.

Other random observations:

I like the guitar patch on the Cleveland unis representing the All-Star game.

I missed Michael Kay but I really loved Ryan Ruoco.

Yasiel Puig is sometimes dynamic and sometimes his hustle is...not there.

I want a hug from Cameron Maybin.

Mo should be in all the broadcast booths all the time.

• Love 2

The parade of Yankees getting ejected is horseshit and MLB needs to do something about it.

The terrible umps are making a living off calling balls as strikes and there is NO accountability for it.  Boone has been right every time.

Gardy is going to take down one of these dugout roofs one day.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The parade of Yankees getting ejected is horseshit and MLB needs to do something about it.

The terrible umps are making a living off calling balls as strikes and there is NO accountability for it.  Boone has been right every time.

Gardy is going to take down one of these dugout roofs one day.

I wondered what all that was about - Gardner tapping the dugout roof with his bat. Is that a nervous habit or something?

So after making my brother sit through an Os game, he made me sit through a Nats game tonight (he'd never been to the park and wanted to see it - and there was a 'head giveaway tonight!).  And...we almost got to sit through 2 games.  Yay?  

Good thing I don't really care about the Nats.  That game was kinda frustrating. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Looks like I forgot to mention the most fun thing - Jack White was in the house before his show down the street at The Anthem!  And then I found out a more fun thing - the game went on so long, Jack came back after his show down the street at The Anthem!

https://deadspin.com/surly-baseball-fan-jack-white-returned-to-watch-nationa-1837345615

I saw that on Twitter and it made me laugh that he was let back in.  Plebes have a no re-entry rule!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

No, he does it when he’s pissed at the umps.  This is the third time he’s done it.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had never seen him do that before.

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

The Tribe have been furious with the umps as well.  I lost count of how many strikes we threw that were called balls.  If it were a drinking game we’d all be dead.

I know, and it's not fair. You're not kidding about the drinking game.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

No, he does it when he’s pissed at the umps.  This is the third time he’s done it.

The umps have been wildly inconsistent calling balls and strikes all season and not just this series and not just against the Yanks.  The Yankees have been very consistent in whining and complaining and throwing tantrums over it during this series,  however.  I really cannot think of any other team that argues the calls so often nor one that gets so much leeway from the umps.  The fact that several Yankees hung out on the field carrying on like toddlers for many minutes even after they'd been tossed out last night indicates how much indulgence is given to them by the umps.  Had the Indians done such a thing, they'd have been run out of there so fast, their heads would've spun. 

Watching the game on TV made it clear just how inconsistent the calls were and all the more frustrating and exhausting to watch

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6