Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

and Edwin Diaz decided to honor what could be Thor's final game by blowing a one-run lead. Wild pitch AND passed ball.

Did he hit a guy too? I was following on the MLB Gameday thing, and watched his meltdown. Glad the Mets came back to win it in 11, but it would have been nice for a little less drama...

I’m just glad MadBum’s still with the team he belongs with, and not with the astros or yankees who both expressed interest in him. We’re keeping our homegrown ace. 💪🏼 

LOL @ anyone thinking Puig will ever change his attitude and showboating. Maybe if he hadn’t started with the Smurfs he’d have had a chance at not being the way he is (as much), but being on that team turns even players who were normally likeable on their former teams into insufferable douchebuckets when they get traded to LA, so he never had a chance.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I’m just glad MadBum’s still with the team he belongs with, and not with the astros or yankees who both expressed interest in him. We’re keeping our homegrown ace. 💪🏼 

If it makes you feel any better, I doubt the Astros were seriously interested in Bumgarner. With both Cole and Miley headed for free agency at the end of the season, they had no interest in a rental. They wanted a pitcher for at least another year or two. Mission accomplished.

I am pumped for the Zack Greinke trade!  I feel like the Astros might really make a run again this year.  Wow, shades of the Verlander trade as noted by kariyaki.

I haven't lived in Houston in 15 years, but I will be sporting my 'Stros gear in Washington DC - specifically the Astros rainbow jersey that they wore when I was a kid.  You can see it from a block away.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1

ESPN: "The Mets suddenly -- shockingly! -- can do no wrong"

Half-Full: "Maybe Brodie saw that there would be a logjam for the wild card spots, and he held off on trading the bigger names for anything less than a king's ransom. A lot would have to go wrong with the other teams, but maybe -- MAYBE -- a postseason run isn't that far-fetched."

Half-Empty: "That is adorable. When is Stroman making his debut? Saturday? Okay, he'll give up eight runs in two innings, then get a gun from his locker and shoot at least eight key players. And he won't even bother to visit the bullpen. Diaz could rebound, but if Brodie had traded him and got a sack of beans that were alleged to be magical in exchange, I'd say the Mets would have come out ahead."

ETA: ESPN introduces us to Dustin May, a.k.a "Gingergaard."  DAMN, that's some head of hair.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

That is adorable. When is Stroman making his debut? Saturday? Okay, he'll give up eight runs in two innings

He's playing the Pirates. The way they have been playing, the opposite is far more likely to occur.

11 minutes ago, xaxat said:

He's playing the Pirates. The way they have been playing, the opposite is far more likely to occur.

More likely to get fastballs thrown at the head than anything else, really.

• Love 1

If he stays in the NL I'm curious to see how he hits over time. He hit a homerun in 2017 against the Braves. I think he's one of the few pitchers that always wanted a chance to bat. 

It's so weird hearing Bob Costas calling a Yankee game on YES.

ETA Paul O'Neill on Costas' voice. "I feel like I should be on the couch watching the Olympics."

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

I was so looking forward to that but alas we are in the car on the way home from Old Forge listening to Spotify, because the driver is not even a little bit at all a sports fan, so watching the FOX Sports Go app is not an option.

I was going to say maybe Sale hurt his hands breaking the TV but then I remember that was Porcello.

In related news, Edwin Encarnacion was apparently hit by a pitch and is now on the 10 day IL with a fractured wrist WTF.

If it’s anything like Judge’s fracture that’s going to be the longest 10 days in history.

• Love 1

I know he wants to do it all, but I think it would be best if Michael Kay skipped the radio show for a while. Those guys really yell at each other and I'm not sure Michael could hold back.

Bob Costas told a looooooooong story about a movie starring Doris Day and Ronald Reagan and it’s a mystery why young fans are not flocking to baseball.

I mean, I enjoyed it because I always like Storytime with Bob (as opposed to Hectoring by Bob) but while they should, probably not too many kids watching a game today know anything about Doris Day.

• Love 1

Weren't very many kids when I was a kid who knew anything about Doris Day.

Astros threw a combined no-hitter yesterday. With two of the new guys traded from Toronto.

• Love 2

Current Cubs armchair GM situation:

Before trade deadline- "why do need a 3rd catcher? Trade that Maldonado guy for someone better!"

After yesterday's game where Contreras pulled a hamstring and will likely be out a month- "we should have kept that Maldonado guy! I guess Schwarber used to catch a million years ago? Our season is ruined!"

It's fun to read comments sections sometimes. 

• Love 1
On 7/31/2019 at 5:13 PM, Moose135 said:

Did he hit a guy too? I was following on the MLB Gameday thing, and watched his meltdown. Glad the Mets came back to win it in 11, but it would have been nice for a little less drama...

He did, and it was horrifying to watch.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2019 at 6:19 PM, mojoween said:

I was going to say maybe Sale hurt his hands breaking the TV but then I remember that was Porcello.

In related news, Edwin Encarnacion was apparently hit by a pitch and is now on the 10 day IL with a fractured wrist WTF.

If it’s anything like Judge’s fracture that’s going to be the longest 10 days in history.

I happened to be watching that game on FS1 and totally flinched. I really liked Edwin when he was on the Indians, so I feel bad for him.

Sale must have been cutting up throwback jerseys again. (I'm only kidding - but he will never, ever live that incident down!)

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

I love the Yankees facial hair policy so nothing covers up Gio Urshela’s beautiful face.

Giovanny Urshela is a great guy and I'm happy he is finally getting his chance. He wasn't going to get it here in Cleveland, with Frankie Lindor and Jose Ramirez in front of him. That said, he and Frankie are still the best of friends. According to our Indians announcers, Frankie and Gio still talk several times a day - every day.

• Love 2
On 7/31/2019 at 8:51 AM, Crs97 said:

A friend posted on Facebook a photo of Puig in the brawl and wrote, “He doesn’t like Pittsburgh either?  Welcome to Cleveland, Puig.  You’ll fit right in!” 😀

67373881_1207365496132921_8825650712261165056_o~2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Apparently Shane has a jersey that says "Not Justin" on the back.

He does!! He wore it for Players Weekend last year...and it looks like he'll have to wear it again this year. 😂

shane-bieber-justin-topps-card.jpg

• Love 7
On 8/4/2019 at 9:35 AM, mojoween said:

I mean, I enjoyed it because I always like Storytime with Bob (as opposed to Hectoring by Bob) but while they should, probably not too many kids watching a game today know anything about Doris Day.

And then there was the profile of John Sterling on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show, in which it was pointed out that JS's homerun call for Urshela refers to him as "Most Happy Fella!", a shout out to a 60-year-old Broadway show. 

Hip to the kidz, are these guys. Heh!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Situation: The Mets are now two games over.500, three games behind for a wild card spot.

Question: At what point does the bottom fall out?

This is beyond my "Mets can and will be fucked" screeds. The last few weeks have been spectacular, and we might be seeing a repeat of 2015. What, will Cano break a bone rounding a base,and a fragment finds its way between deGrom's eyes?

• LOL 2

Astros had the highest turnout of the season last night, a Tuesday. Granted, it was Dollar Hot Dog Night, but I'm pretty sure Greinke's debut was the big draw.

5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't get it.

Trevor Bauer rather famously cut his pinkie while fixing his drone during the playoffs in 2016 and had to leave a playoff game when the injured hand started bleeding while he was on the mound. The long javelin-like thing in his hand is part of his rather bizarre training regimen.  He apparently carried it around with him everywhere he went, raising it above his head, etc purportedly to strengthen his shoulder.  He participates in an unusual training program called Driveline and is sort of their poster child.  He's eccentric to the max.

• Love 3

The javelin-like object is called a shoulder tube, and is so synonymous with Trevor Bauer that the Indians put one on his bobblehead that was given away a few weeks ago. The pinky that he cut while working on his drone infamously began bleeding during Game 3 of the ALCS in Toronto. This was at a time when the Indians' starting rotation was decimated by injuries. Carlos Carrasco suffered a broken bone in his pitching hand late in September when he was hit by a line drive to the mound, and that ended his season. It's really remarkable how far into the postseason they got...but even Corey Kluber and Josh Tomlin got overworked and exhausted. I bet Tito gave Bauer the chewing out of his life (before the incident in KC in July 2019) over the drone thing. We definitely couldn't afford to lose another pitcher to injury, and even though he was able to pitch in the WS, his performances were...not good.

Anyway, here he is with his drone and shoulder tube (and bobblehead):

xpz0dqkswgplboinorip.jpg

images.jpg

i.jpg

cf0532aefbcc6cd928c0d48ed2121aec.jpg

trevor-bauer-drone-injury-alcs.jpg

merlin_151267563_c44d3698-0bbd-4312-bc7b-b8e2c6f4e008-jumbo.jpg

Ba.jpg

baseball-cleveland-indians-trevor-bauer-working-out-with-shoulder-picture-id1008247248.jpg

2J4MXQM7TZBOFKZOGNLN6ZUN2Q.jpg

LQ47TOBM3FFV3EK76SPGOROYNU.jpg

• Love 6
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yanks, White Sox to play at ‘Field of Dreams’

My mother wants to go to this. She has a friend who she visits once a year, who lives in Iowa, pretty near to where this game is being played. 

As an Iowan this is pretty big news around the water coolers here. I only wish they had used a White Sox player in the announcement and not Aaron Judge. Nothing against Judge but the movie was about the Sox.

• Love 7

Okay. So.

Im trying to burn off DVR space, but I turn to SNY to see how the Mets are doing. Down by three in the bottom of the ninth. Hit, hit, Todd Frazier homer. Tie game. They get two outs, but manage to get two runners on base. And then Michael Conforto laces a hit for his first career walkoff.

The Devil has to be involved. Contracts had to have been signed. Souls had to have been used as currency. Holy shit, what is up with the Mets?!?

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3