Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Is the Mets' broadcast the only one without a virtual strike zone graphic? (Either on the plate or in a corner.)

The local affiliate may not have the tech to broadcast it. The Astros broadcast only just got the strike zone box this year.

(edited)

I was hoping he would go to the Yankees or the Braves, quite a surprise it's the Mets. But at least it wasn't one of the teams on my personal no trade list.

Wish him all the best. Three quarters of his public presence is to sell merchandise and boost his value but he plays hard imo.

ETA I don't like the one trade deadline business.

Edited by cleo

Is this the Mets basically being the Mets? Maybe this is Brodie throwing darts to make deals?

Took a long nap. Missed the Pirates scoring four runs in the ninth, almost beating the Mets. I guess the bullpen wanted to catch up from not getting a chance to screw up last night.

Trevor Bauer lost it again!! He really is his own worst enemy. It's a shame, too, because he does a lot for charity and was so kind to my nephews at TribeFest (as well as the other kids present). It's a shame that his public reputation is built on moments like these, but he only has himself to blame.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/indians-trevor-bauer-heaves-ball-over-outfield-wall-in-mound-tantrum-after-being-pulled-from-dismal-outing/amp/

• Love 2

As far as notorious Indians go, he's not quite in the league of Albert Belle or Milton Bradley in the temper department, but he definitely has issues. When he threw that ball, Mike Freeman (filling in at 2B for Jason Kipnis, who got the afternoon off) visibly flinched, and Frankie Lindor just looked at Bauer as if he had just lost his marbles.

(edited)
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Apparently even Marcus Stroman was WTF? when he found out he was traded to the Mets.

"You're gonna get the beat seat in the clubhouse! And we paid Matt Harvey $7,500 to be your footstool!!!!"

Unless Thor winds up leaving, the trade doesn't make much sense. Maybe Brodie thinks the team can make a run for the wild card?

ETA: Mets have made a deal, sending out . . . Jason Vargas. They get a minor league catcher. Yeah, I dunno.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

So hey... if anyone here subscribes to The Athletic (and really, you should because the writing is top-notch!), there's an article about me and the 'heads on the DC page.  

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

So hey... if anyone here subscribes to The Athletic (and really, you should because the writing is top-notch!), there's an article about me and the 'heads on the DC page.  

I just read it. It was a great article. Congratulations. If I may ask how did the article cone to be? It's really very cool for them to cover your story.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I just read it. It was a great article. Congratulations. If I may ask how did the article cone to be? It's really very cool for them to cover your story.

David Aldridge, the editor of the DC edition, is a friend of mine.  And as Eamonn Brennan, the reporter, said... it's summer...and slow news-wise 🙂 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

"Cavalcade of Crap". I love that phrase. Really good read, congratulations. (I noticed how you repped the Os in the main photo.)

The San Diego broadcast had Tony Gwynn Jr on as a guest. You know how kids look like their parents? Tony Gwynn Jr sounds like his dad.

• Love 4

Syndegaard is scheduled to pitch tonight. Sadly, it’ll be in Chicago. I’m willing to bet Mets fans will be there. If he gets traded . . . would it be appropriate to burn his gear and/or an effigy? Y’know, a Viking funeral.

(edited)

Well, as late Tuesday night, Noah Syndegaard is still a Met. He struck out eleven White Sox . . . and Edwin Diaz decided to honor what could be Thor's final game by blowing a one-run lead. Wild pitch AND passed ball. It's like they wanted to make Syndegaard's potential one final outing something to remember . . . by negating a great performance with general late-inning shittiness.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
(edited)

The announcer for Reds-Pirates used scrum AND donnybrook in his play by play and I love him for it.

Amir Garrett is going to be sitting for a loooooong time.

I love Yasiel Puig but I know how divisive he is, so I know there is anti-Reds bias just for that, but is anyone really going to be on the Pirates side here?  I mean, fuck’s sake.  If you want Dietrich to not celebrate, DON’T GIVE UP HOMERS.

I wonder if the Pirates manager is on board with this nonsense or if his pitchers are going rogue.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Just to verify . . . are Cincinnati and Pittsburgh out of postseason contention? Also, can you imagine the horror in Cleveland, when fans found out they got Yassel “l Make Love To My Bats” Puig, and he’s charging at the Pirates?

Once again . . . an ejected manager should be able to return to the field during brawls . . . but only if they wear fake mustaches and glasses like Bobby Valentine.

• LOL 6

I got a kick out of the fact that during part of the brawl the music in the stadium was You've Lost that Loving Feeling.

I like Puig too, although not the fighting particularly. 

• LOL 5

Also, can you imagine the horror in Cleveland, when fans found out they got Yassel “l Make Love To My Bats” Puig, and he’s charging at the Pirates?

A friend posted on Facebook a photo of Puig in the brawl and wrote, “He doesn’t like Pittsburgh either?  Welcome to Cleveland, Puig.  You’ll fit right in!” 😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Yup, looks like the Tribe traded one head case for another. Puig is a free agent at the end of the season, though, so he may only be a "rental". We'll just have to wait and see what happens - Tito doesn't put up with a lot of nonsense.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Didn't miss it. MLB network has showed it about 1,000 times already.

Puig will be suspended for sure, so I wonder how long after he gets here that it will go into effect.

1 hour ago, cleo said:

I got a kick out of the fact that during part of the brawl the music in the stadium was You've Lost that Loving Feeling.

That cracked me up, too. 😂

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Puig will be suspended for sure, so I wonder how long after he gets here that it will go into effect.

Works for me. Keeps Puig out of the lineup while they play Houston. Unless he appeals, which he probably will.

5 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Works for me. Keeps Puig out of the lineup while they play Houston. Unless he appeals, which he probably will.

Well, it probably won't come down during the current series. MLB still has to figure out all the people who were involved, and that could take a little while.

3 hours ago, cleo said:

I cracked up just now at MLB Central, after all the trade talk/rumors, going to commercial break with Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ryan Ruoco is quite well-versed in the history of Ithaca College baseball which was a nice surprise.

I do miss Michael Kay, but I’m sad that Ryan’s fill-in time is up.  Ryan has done a really good job and he and Paul work well together.

On a related note, I am going to charter a private plane, fly down to the Bronx, break into the D-backs clubhouse and tell Zach Greinke to shut the hell up when he pitches.

Edited by mojoween
(edited)

Greinke to the Astros? The Yankees are going to regret sitting out this free agent season.

Greinke went five innings giving up two runs in Yankee stadium today.

Edited by xaxat
6 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Well somebody has to! Goodness knows my Cubs did nothing worthwhile with trades! 

They did get Kemp off the Astros.

• Love 1

My phone is down to 25% from a full charge this morning. 

I'm just remembering the last time the Astros made a splashy last minute trade. *cough*Verlander*cough* That turned out pretty well.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I'm just remembering the last time the Astros made a splashy last minute trade. *cough*Verlander*cough* That turned out pretty well.

That was shady.  I feel like everything the Astros did was shady today and I’m not at all even a little bit jealous.  At all.  

Did Houston even give anything up WTF.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Did Houston even give anything up WTF.

Not really, that's the best part. The pitchers they gave to Arizona were gimpy. The one player Arizona got that stings a little is Seth Beer. Then they got two pitchers and a minor league outfielder from Toronto and only gave up Derek Fisher for them.

The two top prospects that they didn't want to deal stayed put.

13 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

@kariyaki, can Kemp hit? We have so many people who waste away on the bench, it seems weird to bother acquiring more utility players unless they're really amazing hitters. We did get 2 pitchers, who hopefully will perform well. 

Yeah, he's decent. Draws walks real well too. Kemp's been bench playing all year, so it's not like the team change will be him going from being an everyday player to collecting splinters. He's accustomed to that role.

8 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I’ll take the power of Puig any day.  Maybe being w/a contender will calm him down.

Puig wasn't very calm when he was with the Dodgers.

• Love 1