Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I feel like if *I* turn the Mariners game on now, if anything untoward happens in the next three outs it will be my fault, but I also wanna see if history happens.  

Jinxes. Are. Real.

Welp.  Sorry kid.  Back to the Yankees re-air!

I thought the moon landing anniversary was July 20?

Edited by mojoween
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I feel like if *I* turn the Mariners game on now, if anything untoward happens in the next three outs it will be my fault, but I also wanna see if history happens.  

Jinxes. Are. Real.

Welp.  Sorry kid.

I'm thinking my best course of action for no-hitters would be to ignore it entirely, then watch the highlights of that happening because I did not watch. It would be tougher if a Mets pitcher was involved. I miss Johan's gem in 2012 because I was napping. I'd want to see it happen, but I'd be afraid of jinxing out a loss, since these are the Mets. But I don't want to go online two hours later to find that deGrom retired 36 straight batters and hit a walkoff homer in the bottom of the twelfth.

In my head:

Child Gamora: Did you get your no-hitter?

Thanos: [wearing Mets cap] Yes

Child Gamora: What did it cost you?

Thanos: Johan Santana's career.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I thought the moon landing anniversary was July 20?

The date man actually stepped onto the moon was July 21.

Here's what the Monday hat looks like:

920x920.jpg

• Love 6
(edited)
17 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

The date man actually stepped onto the moon was July 21.

Here's what the Monday hat looks like:

920x920.jpg

According to several sources I've found, Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon at 10:56 PM EDT.  So, in the US, the first steps on the moon occurred on July 20.

Since the moon itself doesn't have actual time zones, many consider the moonwalk to have happened according to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) which is the world standard for time.  In that case, the first steps were at 2:56 AM on July 21.

So, either answer is correct depending on how you look at it.

That cap is outstanding!

ETA: Yes I am old enough to remember staying up late on a hot Sunday summer night to watch Armstrong take that small step for a man.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6

I mean...the other day in Minnesota in the 8th it was the Twins doing a very Mets thing and giving up - what was it 8 runs or something absurd? After dropping a fly ball. I didn't say anything because for once it was the Mets winning because of it. But I definitely thought it at the time. They've just turned back around. 

I'm glad I went to bed before the end of both of these extra innings games. I knew if I stayed up to watch them lose I'd be more annoyed. I actually think the day before was more frustrating since Alonso homered and they HAD a lead in the 16th.

17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I miss Johan's gem in 2012 because I was napping. I'd want to see it happen, but I'd be afraid of jinxing out a loss, since these are the Mets.

I was watching it. I didn't move out of the chair for the last 4 innings.

• Love 4

I feel bad for Rockies pitcher Antonio Senzatela. During his player profile the Yankees announcers listed several stats where he was the worst in the league.

He then proceeded to last only 1 1/13 giving up six runs.

The Pirates are honoring the 79 WS team and I have some serious nostalgia feels. I still have the Sister Sledge album with "We are Family" that my put on after they clinched. I made a vow to not play it until they won again.

Which means I probably won't play it again.

(That season, the Pirates used eighteen combinations of their uniform caps, pants and jerseys.

Pirates1979.jpg

Then Stargell apparently got tired of it and reduced it to a mere eight.)

• Love 2
(edited)

I mean the Pirates look good but not as good as the Phillies powder blues (I'm taking points off for the silly pillbox hats) . They wear them for Thursday home games and they have become very popular last game I was at there were a ton of Powder Blue Jerseys and t-shirts myself included.

These are the Throwbacks the Phillies are wearing next week. They are .....a look 🤷

Edited by shoregirl
12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Oh good grief.  Anniversaries of 1969 AND 1979??  I didn't even think about 1979.

Just kill me now...   

I was watching the Mets/Giants game, and I saw a sign for a reunion of the ‘89 team. I’m assuming the A’s will do something similar, since that was the last time they won the World Series.

9 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I was watching the Mets/Giants game, and I saw a sign for a reunion of the ‘89 team. I’m assuming the A’s will do something similar, since that was the last time they won the World Series.

As they should.  However, that had nothing to do with my team.  1989 was actually a surprisingly good year for us.   One of the giveaways this season is a replica Why Not shirt.  I still have my original.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Oh good grief.  Anniversaries of 1969 AND 1979??  I didn't even think about 1979.

Just kill me now...   

I had the same feeling when the Pirates played the Red Sox on the anniversary of the first World Series. Won by the Sox.

That happened a century ago. 

Fandom is weird.

• Love 3

It’s so wonderful that Bernie Williams is getting to do so many things this weekend for the HoF and Mo, but dammit Bernie should be feted at his OWN induction ceremony.

The Core Four plus Bernie was very important to the 90’s Yankees, Bernie possibly more so than Jorge, and I love Jorge too.

• Love 1

I’m watching Plays of the Week on MLB Network which I've never watched before (because let’s be honest, I'm really only concerned with Yankees highlights) and the second play was a Cubbie making a nice sliding catch and the play by play guy says “you’ll never see a better play in a hundred years!” and then MLB net played the top play, so you guys kinda stepped on your own narrative there.

• Love 1

How DARE the Yankees not come back from a four-run deficit at the same time as Mo’s wonderful speech.  

Seriously.  They cannot win when something special is going on.  It’s like clockwork.

• Love 2

So, for a little over 6 innings, it was looking like my decision to sell my tickets and stay inside in the a/c might have been an error.  It ended up working out, though.

Because even a no-hitter isn't worth sitting out in this heat... right?  😉 

• Love 1
(edited)

Bottom of the 11th. Familia let the first two batters on base before getting pulled for Gsellman. I'm thinking the Giants fans go home happy.

ETA: 1-6-3 double play, fly ball out. Shut my mouth.

Curious . . . did the Yankees do anything in regard to Mariano's induction? Gary Cohen was going on about how the current induction scheduling isn't great, in the sense that some fans would have to choose between watching a game in-person and seeing the induction ceremonies on TV. In my head, I think it should be moved up a month. If you have it in late June, there's less of a chance of people slowly dying in potential 100-plus degree heat in Cooperstown. Seriously, if you watch the coverage, I think you'd be able to see the origins of melanoma on the skins of fans.

Fun Fact I Learned On SNY: No right-handed hitter has hit a ball into McCovey Cove. That seems like an open dare to Pete Alonso.

ETA2: Walk-off loss thanks to Yamstremski. Wasn't his father a guy that never got to the big leagues? Also: do dead people get dumped under the Golden Gate Bridge? Because that could be Mickey's permanent home.

Edited by Lantern7
52 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm thinking the Giants fans go home happy.

Yep.

ETA2: Walk-off loss thanks to Yamstremski. Wasn't his father a guy that never got to the big leagues? Also: do dead people get dumped under the Golden Gate Bridge? Because that could be Mickey's permanent home.

Yastrzemski.

His grandfather played for the Red Sox and is in the Baseball HoF. His father died several years ago.

Talking about dumping dead people under the GGB doesn't sound kosher, considering how many people jump from it.

5 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Yastrzemski.

His grandfather played for the Red Sox and is in the Baseball HoF. His father died several years ago.

Talking about dumping dead people under the GGB doesn't sound kosher, considering how many people jump from it.

1. When I was deep into collecting baseball cards, Carl's son was an up-and-comer in the minor leagues. Last I remember, he was in AA. So I assumed he was Mike's father.

2. So Mickey might take a "midnight stroll" on the bridge tonight, and there would be a "slip."

Personally I watched the HoF ceremony on TV and the game on mute on the iPad.  I’m a little sad about that only because I missed the answer to the trivia question of who the four HoF players are who Paul O’Neill played with (besides Lee Smith, Moose and Mo).  I came up with Barry Larkin, Ken Griffey Jr....and?

Otherwise, the game sucked and wasn’t anything to be sad to miss.

It was hot today, especially because there were no clouds, but yesterday would have been so very much worse.

(edited)

I watched the game and was taping the ceremony but The Phillies went into a rain delay just before Roy Halladays induction started that ended just after Brandy Halladay's speech ended. It was eerie.

https://deadspin.com/nonchalant-idiot-on-the-field-arrested-for-picking-inop-1836582252

This was bizarre it took a long time for security to grab him and they didn't chase him down just allowed for him to walk on the field , walk up to Brad Miller (who backed away) to try and shake his hand and walk up to the security guard by the Phillies dugout. It was bizarre.

Here's another angle
Edited by shoregirl
(edited)

I am an Astros fan, but I have selectively liked Yankees players over the years.  I loved every minute of Mariano Rivera's HOF speech. 

A lot of the speech was very serious,  but it turned funny when he humbly acknowledged that he was not so great in 1995.  He said that he and Derek Jeter were sent to the minors on the same day in 1995 and were "almost crying in Bennigans."  The camera then cuts to Jeter and Andy Pettite in the audience,  with Pettite mouthing "Bennigans" and cracking up.  It was such a light moment, but you could really see the bond between the three players.  

It was also touching to see how many fans traveled from Panama.  Rivera is truly an inspiration.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 7
(edited)
21 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I can always count on the Mets bullpen to raise my blood pressure.

Cano: I just had a breakthrough!

Callaway: We can use good news.

Cano: If I hustle, I get hurt. But if I homer, I can go as slow as I want. Ehhh? Ehhhhhhhh???

Callaway: Tell that to the guy in the on deck circle. But yeah, that could work.

(Cano hits three home runs, driving in all of the Mets’ runs)

Callaway: Awright! We’re still a disaster area, but we came back to make our fans happy! Edwin?

Diaz: Yeah?

Callaway: Could you wrap this up without giving everyone not wearing a Padres jersey heartburn?

Diaz: What do you think?

Callaway: That’s what I thought. (looking into book titled How To Get To Your Car When You Tried To Douse The Fire With Gasoline . . . For, Like, The Thousandth Time)

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

From Andrew Baggarly: 

“If the Giants’ celebration appeared slightly more subdued, that’s because it was their fourth walk-off victory in a span of six days. Every pub crawl becomes a crawl at some point.”

😆

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I had no idea that using "Baby Shark" as walk up music was a thing in the league.

It shouldn't be, but it's working.  I will suffer through it for 62+ more games if the Nats keep winning.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

A. it’s only the fourth fucking inning and b. holy hell do I need to turn the notifications off on my phone.

My game blew up in the 3rd. No longer watching. Checked in, and it was a mercy killing, coming in under 3 hours. 

• Love 1

LEAD: "Mets Pull Off Rare Feat, Give degrom Four Runs In First Inning!"

In my head: "Yeah, but they didn't score for the next seven innings. Jacob was probably all, 'You don't have to wait until I give up runs for you to start scoring again!'"

I keep checking ESPN on trade rumors. I really don't want Noah Syndergaard to be dealt. I mean, it's something that needs to be done to ensure the Mets have a future, but it's still a bit sad. I read that the Twins are interested. Now I'm imagining the team in Minneapolis last week, having Thor on a leash and asks if he likes the field that he could run around on.

It’s so obvious the Yanks need to get another arm but I am absolutely terrified what they would have to get up to get one.  

San Fran might still be considering options for MadBum (probably not though) but what would they want in return?

I'm so glad the Cubs signed Kimbrell and are paying him lots of money for the next 3 years so we can continue to lose games right at the end 🙄

To be fair, Chatwood gave up the tying run, but I expect that kind of garbage from him.