Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Something major happening. Can’t say what or where. If you have MLB Network, turn to that now and wait.

Sorry, I had to say it out loud because I'm here and I didn't want that to happen. So. .yay.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm happy Twins won the series against Cleveland. Although our season's been great so far, I've noticed that Twins win series against not so great teams, but have lost series against better teams. I felt they really needed to step it up in order to take the division and do well post-season. If we can win series against Boston and Chicago I'll feel more confident.

A conversation that took place recently in a police station in NJ -

Young rookie cop: "I just pulled a guy over for driving erratically. Turns out, he was high as a kite and it was Dwight Gooden."
Old veteran cop: "The same thing happened to me in '86!"
Young rookie cop: "He was so blasted, he didn't even realize he had a baggie of blow on the seat right next to him."
Old veteran cop: "Just like '86!"

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I’m not one of those dudes that hears about a "reboot" and starts screaming about it. Well, not usually.

“The Amazing Race, now run solely by former Big Brother contestants for the next four seasons!”

Tampa Bay posted an amusing tweet after the perfect game that wasn’t - something like “shift happens.”

I mean, you have a perfecto going.  Why are you messing with what you have?

9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

“The Amazing Race, now run solely by former Big Brother contestants for the next four seasons!”

Tampa Bay posted an amusing tweet after the perfect game that wasn’t - something like “shift happens.”

I mean, you have a perfecto going.  Why are you messing with what you have?

They'd been using the shift all day.  Don't blame that. 

I sat through a no-hitter in my ballpark against my team back in 1991 (Wilson Alvarez for the White Sox) and I cheered.  So in a totally selfish move today, I talked about it because I wasn't in the mood.  So there!  I will say that when we got the first 2 guys on, I mentioned that a triple play would be fun.  That would have made me laugh. 

The guy next to us was really pissed off.  Too bad... 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, DXD526 said:

A conversation that took place recently in a police station in NJ -

Young rookie cop: "I just pulled a guy over for driving erratically. Turns out, he was high as a kite and it was Dwight Gooden."
Old veteran cop: "The same thing happened to me in '86!"
Young rookie cop: "He was so blasted, he didn't even realize he had a baggie of blow on the seat right next to him."
Old veteran cop: "Just like '86!"

That ain’t funny. On par with Cards fans chanting “COKE IS IT!!” at Keith Hernandez back in ‘85.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

That ain’t funny, either. For anyone not into reality TV, CBS was rumored to be pushing for that last year.

6 hours ago, smittykins said:

@Lantern7, you and I are the Biggest Jinxes Evah.

Hey, I didn’t say what was happening. I just recommended tuning in.  Not a jinx. 😜😜😜 🍀 

ETA: True story . . . I needed to clear space on my DVR. This afternoon, I recorded an episode of ESPN's E:60, focusing on perfect games. I caught some of it last year, but not the whole thing. So I'm watching, and then I remembered the Rays and their effort today. This was my reaction (mentally):

tenor.gif

Edited by Lantern7

Sheesh, if talking about something ongoing is the thing that gets it to stop? I have a. lot. of yammering to do today.

Just sayin'.

I have not been watching that much of YES's postgame coverage, so I was shocked the other day to see Jeff Nelson in the analyst's chair. (The first string must be on vacay still.) Nelly! When did you get into the sportscasting biz?  He did okay, but I find myself distracted by his top-of-the-noggin freckles. I know there's makeup for that. I suppose shouldn't be so shallow and let Nelly let his freckled-head flag fly, but I'm just not there yet.

Yes, Nelson has looks made for radio unfortunately, but I thought he was really good.  He was in the booth for a few games this year too, although I can't remember which ones.  He was so much better than David Wells, for all of DW's vaunted "personality."

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Maybe stop pitching to Travis d’Arnaud?

Like seriously.  WHAT THE FUCK.  

Chapman already did not fucking have it, so you pitch to this guy, of all fucking guys.

6 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I thoroughly enjoyed today's Giants/Rockies double-header games.

Especially the 19-2 win for the first game. 😀

(The 2-1 win is the icing on top.)

I went home sick from work and was further sickened by both games. Ugh. 😔😕

(edited)
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Maybe stop pitching to Travis d’Arnaud?

I imagine Travis in the clubhouse, all, “So THAT’S what it feels like from the other side! I love this feeling!!”

ETA: If Zach Wheeler is on the Injured List, can the Mets still shop him around?

Edited by Lantern7
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I imagine Travis in the clubhouse, all, “So THAT’S what it feels like from the other side! I love this feeling!!”

ETA: If Zach Wheeler is on the Injured List, can the Mets still shop him around?

I think so as long as the other team knows.  The Padres got in trouble for that and had a trade voided with the Marlins.

(edited)

Oh, good. Two out, but the bases are loaded.

ETA: You can feel the sphincters of the Mets fans in attendance unclench. Seriously, if you're at home facing the Mets, and Diaz is on the mound, and you got a runner on base? There's hope. Even if you're down by three runs and you can only send pitchers to the plate, you still have hope.

For some reason, they showed Chris Chambliss' ALCS walkoff homer. I'm guessing the SNY announcers were talking about it. That was some scary shit. Remember Robin Ventura's "Grand Single"? Similar, but only instead of Chambliss getting mobbed by his teammates, he's being manhandled by Yankees fans. And these are mid/late-Seventies Yankees fans, so you know he had to be concerned for his life trying to reach home plate.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

Luke Heimlich was banned from Major League Baseball because he pleaded guilty to molesting his six year old niece.  He signed with the Lamigo Monkeys of the Chinese Professional Baseball League, but the league voided his contract.  He has now signed with the Tecolotes de los Dos Laredos of the Mexican League, and the Mexican League seems to be okay with him.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

For some reason, they showed Chris Chambliss' ALCS walkoff homer. I'm guessing the SNY announcers were talking about it. That was some scary shit. Remember Robin Ventura's "Grand Single"? Similar, but only instead of Chambliss getting mobbed by his teammates, he's being manhandled by Yankees fans. And these are mid/late-Seventies Yankees fans, so you know he had to be concerned for his life trying to reach home plate.

I’m glad the practice of fans running onto the field was banned by MLB.

• Love 1

Rookie, the bat dog of the Trenton Thunder, was at Yankee Stadium last night. MLB rules prohibit dogs from working as batdogs, so Rookie had to watch as a fan. 

I think that's wrong. Dogs like having jobs!

Who's a good boy? You are! Yes, you both are!

image.png.84262375285e0f9eabcea70195e60438.png

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I think that's strictly minor league, but it is cute . . . everyone is recovering from a play, and a gosh-darn Golden Retriever goes out to fetch the bat. Always cute.

The Triple-A Las Vegas Aviators use Finn the bat dog during games.  I even follow his Twitter account.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Luke Heimlich was banned from Major League Baseball because he pleaded guilty to molesting his six year old niece.  He signed with the Lamigo Monkeys of the Chinese Professional Baseball League, but the league voided his contract.  He has now signed with the Tecolotes de los Dos Laredos of the Mexican League, and the Mexican League seems to be okay with him.

Sickening.

• Love 1

This is from a couple of years ago, but it shows why people like me, @doodlebug, @Crs97 and countless others love the Voice of the Tribe, Tom "Hammy" Hamilton. These are actually two clips of the same event, but one has much better audio and the other has the entire video. Enjoy!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I haven't been following Toronto pitchers that closely but they don't seem to have a lot of options in the minors right to replace Sanchez if they send him down. Which is why it's beyond stupid that they are trading Stroman and possibly Giles. 

Sanchez should probably go to the bullpen but they won't do that either.

I like Montoyo (the coach) but above him- Atkins and Shapiro-I dont think they have managed the team well overall. 

I’m watching video of Andy and Derek taking Mo out for his final game (onions!) and it occurs to me that the Rays are involved in a lot of things that are super memorable for the Yankees.  They must just LOVE that legacy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wait.  WAIT.  If Boone is going to be suspended one game tonight for some colorful language is the ump going to be suspended for not realizing that Aaron Judge is 6’7”?

Better question: how soon do Yankees fans start chanting "SAVAGES!!!" during games?

• LOL 4
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I love anniversaries so tomorrow is catnip to me.  These two tweets are very fun.  Also I hope the Astros do not wear that uniform.

The anniversary is Monday. The Astros are wearing Apollo 11 hats that day and no special uniform.