Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Checking up . . . the Yankees had their annual Old-Timers Game, with lots of emotion. Over in Chicago, Mickey Callaway makes the wrong move again, and he curses out a reporter. Also, Juan Vargas threatened the guy. Yaaaaaaay.

On the bright side, Pete Alonso broke Daryl Strawberry's team home run record for rookies. So, yeah, ol' Pete is gonna have an anvil drop on him soon. Maybe before the All-Star Game, maybe at the All-Star Game.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

John Sterling and Michael messed up by not announcing Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone by their given names, Bucky Fucking Dent and Aaron Fucking Boone.

Especially since they were playing Fucking Altuve today.  

9 hours ago, smittykins said:

I didn’t know that Joan Steinbrenner and Molly O’Neill(Paul’s sister)passed. 😟

I didn't know that Molly was Paul's sister until reading her obituary.

It’s nice that the St. Louis fans didn’t throw trash at Albert Pujols (even though he did leave them for money IIRC) but OMG are we DONE with the deification now?  ESPN I’m looking notably at you.

He left EIGHT YEARS ago.  I get that the fans hadn’t seen him in that long due to scheduling but cod’s sack.  He plays on another team in another league.  Are they seriously rooting for him over their own damn team?

• Love 1

I love the first sentence of that Forbes article - "It’s time to fire Mickey Callaway to be fired." I know nobody has editors anymore, but don't writers bother to proofread their stuff? It's the first sentence, FFS!

But, yeah, MC is tiresome, already. What has he done during his tenure that has made him effective? He reminds me more of Art Howe every day. 

• Love 2

I reckon the Mets will reach out to Terry Collins, but he successfully faked his death. Twice. He faked his death, lived in comfort for about six months . . . then faked another death in case the Mets were still looking for him.

I know, probably not, but the world the Mets put themselves in would be that ridiculous.

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I love the first sentence of that Forbes article - "It’s time to fire Mickey Callaway to be fired." I know nobody has editors anymore, but don't writers bother to proofread their stuff? It's the first sentence, FFS!

I know. It hurts...I was a proofreader for my local newspaper before budget cuts went down. No one cares about correcting errors like that anymore, it seems. 😭

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If the Mets do fire Callaway, then what?

They move to Montreal, opening MLB up to a better market once the Rays are coerced out of Tampa Bay? Yeah, I dunno.

Speaking of which . . . yeah, splitting games between Tampa and Montreal is dumb as hell. Just get the Rays and Marlins to markets that would appreciate them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

If the Mets do fire Callaway, then what?

Bad idea that might get them some temporary not-as-negative-as-usual-press: they replace him with David Wright.

(I don't actually want them to do that, and I don't actually think they will, but it's about as sensible as anything else they've done lately.)

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Just get the Rays and Marlins to markets that would appreciate them.

The Rays' lease runs through 2027 and the mayor has already said he ain't sharing with Montreal. The Marlins' lease runs through 2047. 

10 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The Rays' lease runs through 2027 and the mayor has already said he ain't sharing with Montreal. The Marlins' lease runs through 2047. 

Damn. So there's no chance that MLB would give a big chunk of money to either city? It doesn't seem fair when you think about it, having big league baseball in places where most of the people could care else. Also, the few fans in Miami have as many titles to reminisce about as the Mets, and that low-key pisses me off.

• Love 1

It’s fitting that a home run record is back in New York where it belongs.  It was kind of offensive that another team had it!  Like, how dare they, heh.

I’m curious to know if another team is close but that is a level of google-fu I am not prepared to do.

One of the NYC tabs, referring to the HR record, calls the Yankees The Swat Team. Which is both apt and amusing, and now I want the old 70s era SWAT tv-show theme music to play during all appearances in all stadia.

I do not think this is too much to ask. Swap out the Star Wars stuff for SWAT!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, attica said:

I want the old 70s era SWAT tv-show theme music to play during all appearances in all stadia

They should make an intentionally cheesy YES ad based on the original show intro. Replace the police with Yankees, exchange the armory for a bat rack and have them super dramatically running around the city and Yankee Stadium.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The Associated Press description of last night’s game contains the sentence “Gleyber Torres and Edwin Encarnacion each poked a solo shot over the short right field porch for the Yankees...” and I feel attacked.

• LOL 2

If MLB can figure out a way to have regular season games at the CWS, LLWS, Japan and London, why can't the figure out a way to return to Cooperstown for the Hall of Fame Game?

• Love 2

Holy &*&& I feel so bad for Stanton.  Pitcher on the Jays stepped on his hand.  Idiot.  Pitchers should not be making plays like that, there seems to be injuries every time.  Usually, the injuries happen to the pitchers!

52 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I hate this stupid London series.  Anything that upsets the Yankees mojo is BAD.

Although apparently the center field fence is 385 feet which sound delightful.  

Are the English even interested in baseball these days? Also: how badly did London want the Yankees and Red Sox? i think the NFL usually sends in scrub teams for their regular season visits.

At work. Go to ESPN.com. Phillies have a 1-0 lead on the Mets in the ninth. They get three runs to take the lead. Moron that I am, I leave the window open . . . and the Phillies just walked off with a 6-3 win.

I bet Mickey is a nice guy, and I bet he's smarter than most people think, but he has to walk the plank . . . especially if the Mets fuck up on the weekend celebrating the 1969 team

• Love 1
(edited)

I knew it was a long shot (and fucking hell, people must love Carlos Santana) but I was really rooting for that All-Yankee All-Star infield.

AGHHHHH Aaron Judge was only one percentage point behind Michael Brantley.  Dammit.

It HAS to be east coast bias, because they interviewed a million players who their favorite is, and they all said Mike Trout, and I just do not get it.  It must be because I only see him when he’s in NY or the Yanks are in LA, because I am sure as hell not staying up until one in the morning to watch an Angels game on the regular.  He’s good, I guess?  Since everyone tells me that?

Edited by mojoween

I know the Mets bullpen has been largely useless the past week (and before that, but especially this week) but at what point do they say, hey ya know, when a closer blows five saves all season he usually loses his job, so maybe Diaz was not such a great investment? Familia certainly wasn't. It's not even July and Diaz has 5 Ls. On average, teams with the lead in the 9th win 90% of games. So he's already way below average here. I hear everyone coming for Callaway. I hear everyone bemoaning the bullpen as a whole, but a week ago, people were still claiming he was the one bright spot. Not so much. They should've shelled out for Kimbrel when they had the chance.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I knew it was a long shot (and fucking hell, people must love Carlos Santana) but I was really rooting for that All-Yankee All-Star infield.

AGHHHHH Aaron Judge was only one percentage point behind Michael Brantley.  Dammit.

It HAS to be east coast bias, because they interviewed a million players who their favorite is, and they all said Mike Trout, and I just do not get it.  It must be because I only see him when he’s in NY or the Yanks are in LA, because I am sure as hell not staying up until one in the morning to watch an Angels game on the regular.  He’s good, I guess?  Since everyone tells me that?

I hate to agree with a Yankees fan, but you are right about Mike Trout.  When I see him play, I wonder what others are seeing.  

Yeah, I don't get the Mike Trout stuff either. I see him a lot more because the Astros and Angels are in the same division and maybe the Astros pitchers are the Trout-whisperer or something, because he really doesn't hit well whenever I see him play-- which is 19 games every year. 

Yankee fan here.  For what it's worth, I've seen the Angels three times at the Stadium, and Trout DISMANTLED us every game: multiple hits, RBIs, several doubles and homers, great defense, stolen bases.  He seemed like he was a player from a higher species.  My friend and I felt like we were seeing the reincarnation of Mickey Mantle.

• Love 3

I've been watching the MLB network and it drives me nuts when the broadcast team doesn't identify themselves. I know some of the announcers since they used to work at ESPN. This would help viewers who use closed captioning. On a lighter note there has been a partnership between MLB and Sesame Street and it's awesome. Big Bird taught the Red Sox and Yankees about respect and yesterday Cookie Monster sang Take me Out to the Ballgame at Wrigley Field.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I've been watching the MLB network and it drives me nuts when the broadcast team doesn't identify themselves. I know some of the announcers since they used to work at ESPN. This would help viewers who use closed captioning. 

My understanding is the games shown on MLB network are usually just one of the teams' local feeds, but aired on the cable channel. So it's not MLB network's announcers, specifically. They do usually identify themselves at the very beginning of the games, but depending exactly how/when MLB cuts to the game, they may have already done that (and it aired in the local market) but MLB wasn't airing it yet when that occurred.

• Love 1

Yes, MLB doesn’t start the game until first pitch, 5-10 minutes into whatever local feed’s broadcast, which usually starts at the top of the hour.

Ah, Yankees-Saux and their always fabulous 10 hour/9 inning games. 

I missed the pre-game - did they say why both teams are wearing the home whites?  For some reason, this is annoying me.  Almost more than the 10 hour game.

20 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Ah, Yankees-Saux and their always fabulous 10 hour/9 inning games. 

I missed the pre-game - did they say why both teams are wearing the home whites?  For some reason, this is annoying me.  Almost more than the 10 hour game.

They didn't say, but I saw in an article it's because it's an away game for the Yankees and they wanted them to be able to wear their more iconic pinstripes.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Notification I just got:

”DJ LeMahieu hits a double in the top of the 4th, 4 score.”  Did they add an extra base or two? 😛

I guess they're referring to the run that scored in the walk right before that.

• Love 1