Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Andrew Mccutchen had surgery for his ACL today and is out for the season. He's is currently live tweeting the Phillies game which is awesome. I am very sad he won't be able to play this year because I love him.  I always enjoyed watching him play and wished he was on my team and now that he is even better than I had thought .

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Depends on who we’re giving up, though.

Aaron Judge . . . ‘s thirdborn son. If it were the Mets? deGrom and Thor.

Speaking of, they’re wearing the pinstripes tonight. Cardinals have the blue unis. Very retro.

Anyone else watch this Padres/Rockies game? It's basically a little league game. Was 8-5 by the second. (I know high scoring games are not unusual in Colorado but this one felt silly for how early in the game both teams had huge innings).

But I digress.

The announcer was doing a really weird thing. When he'd call the score he kept emphasizing the wrong number. For example, at the start of the second it was 6-3. Then the Padres scored 2 runs. He says "Now it's SIX to five." Half-inning later he did it again. Rockies scored 2 and he called it "Eight to FIVE." He kept emphasizing the number that had not changed. I realize in the grand scheme of things this is relatively minor, but it totally distracted me.

6 hours ago, smittykins said:

With Stanton and Judge coming back, I hope the Yankees can find a way to keep Maybin.

ME TOO.  Three dingers in three days has to mean something.

I feel badly for Edwin for the 0-fer yesterday.  Perhaps he was gripping the bat too hard.  Or maybe he missed his beard, heh.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I'm claiming it as evidence that pitchers need to be better at bunting.

But that’s the thing!  He was practicing to get better and bam.  If they had a DH, he would have been doing something safer at BP.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

But that’s the thing!  He was practicing to get better and bam.  If they had a DH, he would have been doing something safer at BP.

I know he was, but you have to be using TERRRRIBLE form to foul a bunt back at your face. I mean, I'm not a monster. I feel bad for the guy breaking his nose. But I'm suggesting his baseline skill at bunting should've prevented him from doing that. It wasn't a real in-game pitch that might've had some funky spin or something. This is BP. Pitchers especially, but players in general have gotten so bad at bunting at the highest level it's embarrassing. Should've learned this in high school - and maintained the skill. There are a few simple minor basics that once you get right, other than funky movement and spin on the ball from a really good pitch, laying down a solid bunt is easy. It's a pet peeve of mine, having nothing to do with Scherzer, but I get so annoyed when I see a major league pitcher fouling off bunt after bunt or popping them up. Being decent at bunting is like expecting a pitcher to know how not to balk. It's a basic requirement of the position. And you can tell when they go up there when a guy doesn't know how to do it properly. It's visually obvious when they're basically just flailing.

• Love 3
(edited)

Last night, deGrom almost went the deStance. He got one Brave out in the ninth, but gave up two solo homers. Robert Gsellman got the last two years. The Daily News posted this headline at the top, above the Yankees cover: "PEN GETS TWO OUTS!"

Actually, that was the delivery edition I got today. I'm at a library, and that was the main back cover story in the edition I just saw, complete  with big font. So, yeah, that's the state of the Mets today.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

According to a blurb I just saw David Ortiz was not the target.  That is TERRIBLE.

. . . how?!? What, were they fans of Big Papi, and they thought they were attacking Kenan Thompson, a guy that makes fun of him?!?

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

I love him so much...

Yeah, we’ll see if they can find room for you, Aaron.  Might be tough.

If Clint Frazier had displayed that kind of humility, maybe people throughout MLB wouldn't be calling him a crybaby right now!!

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Last night, deGrom almost went the deStance. He got one Brave out in the ninth, but gave up two solo homers. Robert Gsellman got the last two years. The Daily News posted this headline at the top, above the Yankees cover: "PEN GETS TWO OUTS!"

Actually, that was the delivery edition I got today. I'm at a library, and that was the main back cover story in the edition I just saw, complete  with big font. So, yeah, that's the state of the Mets today.

Since I live in Charlotte these days - we went to see the Mets play the Braves in Atlanta in April - I got to watch the Braves broadcast.  Turned on the game in the 8th inning.  Bottom of the ninth, Braves have one out, Mets are up 10 - 0, and the Braves announcer says "Two outs away from a complete game shutout."  Next pitch ends up in the stands past the right field wall, and the announcer says "Well, there goes the shutout."  Next pitch Brave batter hits the second consecutive HR, and it was the end of even the complete game as deGrom gets replaced...

On 6/18/2019 at 8:55 PM, mojoween said:

I am claiming Max Scherzer as exhibit A why the DH is the best idea.

I know this sounds awful, but I kept expecting someone to add the audio of Marcia Brady crying, "Oh, my nose!" to that video!!

• LOL 5

So I guess the Rays are looking at playing half their games in Montreal??

Did anyone tell the players union? Because I'm pretty sure none of them signed up to play three quarters of their games on the road.

• Love 2

Cortes is better than Cessa but Cessa is out of options so I guess they are stuck with him. I feel badly for Cortes - he was SO GOOD relieving Green - but anything to keep Maybin!

Splitting Tampa in half is the DUMBEST idea I have ever heard.  Just send the Rays somewhere else, for cod’s sack they were in first place and had 17 fans in the stadium that can’t keep the power on instead of 6.  Tampa has proven they will not miss them, just give the whole team back to Montreal.

Jason Fitz also articulated many points against this idea that are too numerous to mention that shows how bad of an idea this is.  But Jeff Passan reported that the idea is being taken seriously!  WTF.

• Love 5

Take a moment to watch Tyler Naquin’s catch in the bottom of the 9th in the Cleveland-Detroit game.  Just gorgeous!  Best line of the post-game interview is Kipnis to Naquin: “Nice route, Magellan.”  🤣😂

• Love 3

I did not see it coming that I would get choked up when Michael Kay said that Whitey Ford was watching at home at not able to be at the Stadium.

Other Old-Timers thoughts - John Sterling and Michael messed up by not announcing Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone by their given names, Bucky Fucking Dent and Aaron Fucking Boone.

Also Johnny Damon was a member of the 2004 Red Sox and therefore should be banned from Yankees celebrations in perpetuity.

No Joe Torre or Joe Girardi this year?!?

I love Mo.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

WHY do the Yankees always lose on their special days?!?

Also they really need to hit a dinger to extend the steak to 26 games.  I don’t think Mo’s will count.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1