Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Astros have no Springer, no Altuve, no Correa. And have won 6 out of the 7 games played since all three of them have been out. Everyone else is winning with the homer, and without those three, the Astros have switched to small ball. It's working.

Interview with Clint Frazier. My takeaway? He doesn't like it there.

(edited)
On 6/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, kariyaki said:

These are the best and funniest names you may hear called during the 2019 MLB Draft.

I was dying. These kids sure have some weird names these days. And there's actually a Zack Morris in there!

I think the Phillies had an awesome draft just because:

Round 9
Rudy Rott, 1B
Ohio University

Round 10
McCarthy Tatum, 3B
Fresno State University

I have visions of Dan Baker announcing those names at CBP.....

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I think the Phillies has an awesome draft just because:

I have visions of Dan Baker announcing those names at CBP.....

The Astros announcers are already having a field day with one of the draftees from this year, Jordan Brewer. Especially paired with last year's draft, Seth Beer. They're predicting a lot of drinking games with those two.

• LOL 3
(edited)

The Blue Jays are determined to have an All-Star progeny roster, no?  I didn’t even realize Roy Halladay had a son who would be old enough to be drafted this year but here we are.

Oh the Yanks decided to get in on this too I see by drafting Jack Leiter.  I wonder if Mo’s kid is still in their system?

Edited by mojoween
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

Or Dante Bichette’s?

The Blue Jays already have him.

The Astros like drafting brothers of people they already have. Last year, they drafted Alex Bregman's brother. This year, they drafted Carlos Correa's brother and the brother of a catcher they just brought up as a rookie.

Honorable mention: also drafted Jose Cruz Jr.'s son.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:39 AM, kariyaki said:

I don't see how it would be concussion-related, that was last year. Maybe Frazier's just not that good. Kyle Schwarber from the Cubs is notoriously a subpar outfielder as well, but he stays in the lineup for the hitting.

I know that the analysts go on and on about The A's Ramon Laureano and his thunderarm but one thing I noticed in the Astros games this weekend is that A: he can't catch Myles Straw. B: he's only effective if he camps out under it and then throws -- he can't catch for shit on the fly.

Yes he can. He's made some tremendous plays on the fly. However, the word's out now, and no one runs on him anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes he can. He's made some tremendous plays on the fly. However, the word's out now, and no one runs on him anymore. 

I admit my sample size is limited, as I only see Laureano when the Astros are playing, but he seemed to miss every single play that was on the fly in the last series. 

25 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

As I predicted the Robinson Cano Runs In Any Way And Pulls Up Lame cycle is once again in full force.

Only four years, ninety six million left on that contract.

(Sorry, that was cruel.)

• Love 2
On 6/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, kariyaki said:

The Astros announcers are already having a field day with one of the draftees from this year, Jordan Brewer. Especially paired with last year's draft, Seth Beer. They're predicting a lot of drinking games with those two.

The Brewers should have picked him.

• Love 3

Mixed feelings watching the Rays-Red Sox series.

I obviously don’t want Boston to win, but if Tampa wins, we can’t gain any ground on them(and will drop out of first if we lose).

37 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I obviously don’t want Boston to win, but if Tampa wins, we can’t gain any ground on them(and will drop out of first if we lose).

I have similar feelings crop up whenever someone is creeping up on the Astros for the division lead. Not right now, as they're ten games ahead of the second place team, but I get it. Last year, I found myself rooting for the Rangers over the A's and felt very dirty.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, smittykins said:

I know how you feel about those situations. It's like - why can't they both lose? 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Ninth inning I hate baseball!

Tenth inning I love baseball!

Man alive what pressure for that kid.  “Hey, Aroldis’s defense shit the bed and I know you just got to Cleveland today but you need to get three outs, mmkay?”

• Love 4

Saw on Twitter from Marly RIvera of ESPN that Ortiz is stable, in surgery, that he was shot in the lower back, and it was a through and through.  It's unclear what the circumstances of the shooting were.  I hope he's OK.  

I always had a soft spot for Ortiz - a Green Bay Packers fan because of his wife (Wisconsin native) and I loved his rallying the crowd after the Boston Marathon bombing - "This is our fucking city!"

• Love 3
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ninth inning I hate baseball!

Tenth inning I love baseball!

Man alive what pressure for that kid.  “Hey, Aroldis’s defense shit the bed and I know you just got to Cleveland today but you need to get three outs, mmkay?”

I had the opposite reaction - yes, a Clevelander and an Indians fan here. 😉 I am happy to see Giovanny Urshela doing so well, though - he was lost in the shuffle here and it's good to see he is making the most of the opportunities he has been given in NY.

• Love 1
(edited)

New rule for homers hit in San Francisco: if you hit a ball into McCovey Cove, any celebratory bat-flipping and showboating will be forgiven. And if a right-handed batter does that? He’s allowed to circle the bases in any way he wants, up to and including moonwalking and cartwheels.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

The video of Papi getting shot is terrible.  The gunman was apparently found by civilians before the police...and the gunman needs medical care before he can be questioned.  

Sounds like Papi is going to have a long road to full recovery but he is out of danger.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I won't watch the video, I can't watch stuff like that but this morning in my twitter feed was video of the shooter getting beat, with the headline 'That' s what you get! '

I thought that was disgusting. I mean this guy is going to pay for what he did, and pay badly, but I don't think retaliation violence needs to be cele rated on social media. 

That being said, I hope Ortiz recovers, what a terrible thing. 

• Love 2
On 5/24/2019 at 6:54 PM, mojoween said:

Oh for cod’s sack.  Apparently the Yankees are playing the part of Eeyore and bringing rain clouds with them to every city they go to.

It’s tradition at this point!

While I am sad for no ball tonight, I’m absolutely not complaining about a full day tomorrow.

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

The video of Papi getting shot is terrible.  The gunman was apparently found by civilians before the police...and the gunman needs medical care before he can be questioned.  

Sounds like Papi is going to have a long road to full recovery but he is out of danger.

David Ortiz is now at Mass General Hospital in stable condition. Pedro Martinez was emotional talking about what happened. He suffered some damage to his internal organs including his colon.

• Love 3

I feel bad for David Ortiz. He played for the Twins several years before he went to Boston so we are upset about it here, too.  What I've heard is that the motorcycle driver was caught by civilians and beaten, but the shooter is still at large.

• Love 2

Game 1 - I love baseball!

Game 2 - I hate baseball these pitchers are trash and this sport is trash I literally cannot even WTF BBQ.

The most annoying part is that I am listening in the car, and I left Barnes & Noble and the Mets were at bat and scored...I left BJ’s and the Mets were at bat and scored...I left Target and the Mets were at bat and scored.  So really you can blame me.  And also the Yankees shitty fielding.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I feel your pain @mojoween

Earlier this evening I was about to post on a Pirates forum my frustration at watching Chris Archer give up back to back home runs. Before I could hit enter, he gave up his third straight. Before I could edit my post, he decided "What the hell. Let's go for four straight!"

And, believe it or not, As I type this, he gave up a fifth. 

Maybe I should never write about the Pirates ever again.

• LOL 3
8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Earlier this evening I was about to post on a Pirates forum my frustration at watching Chris Archer give up back to back home runs. Before I could hit enter, he gave up his third straight. Before I could edit my post, he decided "What the hell. Let's go for four straight!"

And, believe it or not, As I type this, he gave up a fifth.

Wait, didn't another team get four consecutive homers a week or two ago?

(edited)
42 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wait, didn't another team get four consecutive homers a week or two ago?

The Natinals (yes, I did that on purpose).  I think it was just a couple of days ago. 

Edited by ebk57
weird computer shit
  • Love 2

The ESPN crew seemed totally bored in Subway Series G2. The stupid box score phone number thing, resetting one's password on one's phone, do you shower if you go out to dinner between games of a split doubleheader. By the fifth inning I was like, look I know the Mets have a huge lead, but it's the Mets so it's not safe and are ya gonna talk about the game at all? Or even just baseball?

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

The ESPN crew seemed totally bored in Subway Series G2. The stupid box score phone number thing, resetting one's password on one's phone, do you shower if you go out to dinner between games of a split doubleheader. By the fifth inning I was like, look I know the Mets have a huge lead, but it's the Mets so it's not safe and are ya gonna talk about the game at all? Or even just baseball?

You should let them know this.  They'd be thrilled someone is actually watching.

• LOL 2

Late to post this but I join many Royals fans in wishing the best for Big Papi.

He was in DR for Yordana Ventura's funeral -- greeting visitors outside the family home, and keeping a close watch on Ace's mother.

For this alone, he'll always have a special place in our hearts.

Get well soon!

• Love 4

Boy, new callup Yordan Alvarez definitely has the power that’s been advertised. Two games, homer in each game. And he almost knocked over the second baseman with the celebratory high five (third picture).

(edited)

Later this month, the Mets will be celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the 1969 World Champs. Weird question: should the 1999 team get honored as well? I know they didn't even win the pennant, but they had one of the wildest rides in the team's history. If things had broken a little differently, they could have been been the first team to lose the first three LCS games and forced a Game 7.

Edited by Lantern7
27 minutes ago, smittykins said:

That is, unless Big Sexy finds a team that will sign him...

Of all the players from the 1997 Indians team that made it to the World Series (which we should have won!!!!!), I never would have guessed in a million years that Bartolo would be the last one standing. The players the Tribe traded him for in 2002 retired before he did!!!!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Mariano Rivera and I are the same age.

So it MUST have been a misprint that he is going to make his first start in the Old-Timers game next weekend.

Mariano is the best! During BP one game in Oakland, the pitchers were shagging flies in the outfield. I was out in the bleachers early for a good seat. Mariano caught a ball, and I yelled, "Mariano! Pelota!" A bunch of kids were in the area with me, and he tossed the ball up to us. I backed off and let one of the kids grab it. I helped the kids say "GRACIAS Mariano! "

A sweet moment. 😊

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Mariano is the best! During BP one game in Oakland, the pitchers were shagging flies in the outfield. I was out in the bleachers early for a good seat. Mariano caught a ball, and I yelled, "Mariano! Pelota!" A bunch of kids were in the area with me, and he tossed the ball up to us. I backed off and let one of the kids grab it. I helped the kids say "GRACIAS Mariano! "

A sweet moment. 😊

You're as kind as Mariano. You did all of the hard work but gave the ball to a snotty-nosed kid. 

...And this is why you're a good person, and I'll be lucky if my children visit me in the code-violating nursing home they're going to stick me in one day.

Phillies vs. Braves for control of the NL East. Nick Pivetta is probably starting for the Phillies. We'll see how that goes. He's been pretty good lately. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, topanga said:

You're as kind as Mariano. You did all of the hard work but gave the ball to a snotty-nosed kid. 

I agree!! A couple of months ago, I went to a doubleheader in Cleveland between the Indians and Braves. I sat down the left field line, which is foul ball central. One landed a couple of rows away from me - and a kid was trying to get it when some guy, probably in his thirties, dove right in front of him and claimed the ball for himself. I felt bad for the poor little boy, and several people in our section booed and gave the guy the stink eye. In a situation like that, give the ball to the kid already.

• Love 3