Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I thought so too, but MLB Network is blacking out last night’s Astros-Mets game.

The Mets game was on a local channel (the one that isn’t NBC or The CW but I can’t remember what it’s called) but when the MLB Net finally came up and showed the Yankees game, it was a mess.  The channel kept freezing so I would have to keep going back and forth to it.  It’s very weird for one channel to have technical errors like that.

• Love 1

I *think* they did it that long and that way to free up some Aaron Judge money for when that time comes.  Hicks is growing on me, as long as he can stay healthy this might be a good move.

Ha take that Jeter you can’t have all the Core Four.  Hopefully Rivera likes Pettite more than Jeter so Mo takes a job in New York and not Miami when he decides to get back to work.

I can’t believe Craig Biggio has a kid old enough to be a major leaguer.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I can’t believe Craig Biggio has a kid old enough to be a major leaguer.

He has two, they both played for Notre Dame. Cavan is the second one. The older one isn’t as good, apparently, he went in the 34th round in 2015 and isn’t playing anymore, he now works for the Office of the Commisioner of Baseball.

• Love 1

Jeez. With the Mets’ luck, he’ll hit thirty homers off them. Bright side: first time Bryce slumps, the fans probably won’t be sympathetic. On a related note, I believe that It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia can be regarded as a documentary.

• LOL 4

I'm kind of obsessed with Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse. The number "42" plays a role in it, and I can't stop myself from wondering if the person who put it in there is a Jackie fan, or a Mariano fan.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I can't wait till Harper goes into his first slump and the Philly fans remind him of it.

I actually don't think that will be a problem.

Oh, they'll boo him but they'll also cheer the ever loving shit out of him too.

Machado it might have been a problem but Harper's style is really conducive to that fan base.

But I'm in the camp that thinks baseball is more fun when the irascible fan bases have a relevant team and they're  living and dying with every pitch.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, shoregirl said:
I'm so excited to see him in a Phillies uniform. That contract set up that maybe in two years a certain Millville native and known Philadelpia sports fan will head back home 😎.

I'm primarily a Sox fan (shocking I know) but Trout and Harper in the same lineup would be something to see!

• Love 1

Now that Harper is gone from DC, maybe in a year we won't have to hear about him anymore.  I'm just sorry he's still in in the same division as the Nats because I'm not looking forward to all the chatter when the Phillies come here.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Okay MLB Network - can we see the game that's supposed to be on and not this entire Bryce Harper slurpfest??? 

I know! I was watching the Met game, went into the other room, and it was gone!

• Love 1

Yeah, I switched off the MLB Network and was just watching the straight Mets feed because I would rather see the Astros/Mets game than the Bryce Harper tongue bath.

• Love 2
On 3/1/2019 at 10:38 AM, shoregirl said:

Why you gotta bust balls, ESPN?

How has Bryce handled Mets pitching? I forgot that he was in the NL East before.

Oh, and it turns out Nimmo succumbed to a virus, not his own shitty cooking. Yay? #OnlyTheMets

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

The end of that Mets game was so Mets. Oh well. At least it's ST where they can hammer home "dude you gotta actually reach for the bag now". It would've been an awkward angle but I think he could've reached if he'd remotely made an attempt. But nope. It doesn't help to take down the second baseman when you're then ruled out on the slide.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

It doesn't help to take down the second baseman when you're then ruled out on the slide.

He was already out on the force. His bad slide caused the batter to be called out at first. 

• Love 1

That's what I meant. I just phrased it poorly in the context of this example. The word "both" is missing. Point is: he reaches for the bag, even if he doesn't touch it but could've reached and missed, runner is safe at first, game is tied. Don't even try to touch bag: gameover.

This rule is not new. Ergo he's a dumbass.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

This rule is not new. Ergo he's a dumbass.

Just before it happened, the Mets announcers had even mentioned that Rajai Davis is trying to make the opening day roster. I can’t imagine the crappy slide helping any. 

• Love 1

@MVFrostsMyPie how do you feel about Bochy retiring?  I feel like he should have given it one more season and retired after an even year, heh.

I love the NCAA Tournamnet more than anything and don’t want to rush though it, but I am beyond ready for some baseball that counts.

I hope the Angels give Trout that extension this year so we don’t have to go through the free agent sweepstakes all over again.

• Love 3

Haha when I saw my name tagged I thought you were going to ask me about the other thing in the news 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

I’m okay with him retiring. When it’s time, it’s time. It’s the end of an era. It’s bittersweet.

5 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Haha when I saw my name tagged I thought you were going to ask me about the other thing in the news 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

I’m okay with him retiring. When it’s time, it’s time. It’s the end of an era. It’s bittersweet.

Ahahahahaha no I am not touching the other story with a quadzillion foot pole.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, bosawks said:

I listened to her on MLB the other day and she was really good steering that booth.

It's cool that the Twins broadcasting let her do a few spring training games. Astros broadcasting has let the female sideline reporter call a few innings once in awhile but never entire games.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, kariyaki said:

It's cool that the Twins broadcasting let her do a few spring training games.

Fox Sports North has been really good about using Marney's broadcasting skills. She did play by play for the Timberwolves this season as well.

(edited)

I grew up as a Met fan - went to my first ever ball game for my 9th birthday in 1969, and I've bled blue and orange ever since.  Tom Terrific was part of my childhood, and this was tough to hear.

Tom Seaver, New York Mets great, diagnosed with dementia

Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver is suffering from dementia and will not make any more public appearances, his family announced Thursday.

The 74-year-old right-hander, who led his "Miracle Mets" to one of the most improbable championships in American sports history in 1969, plans to keep working on his vineyard in California, his family said.

"The Seaver family announced today that Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver has recently been diagnosed with dementia," the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York, said in a statement Thursday.

"Tom will continue to work in his beloved vineyard at his California home, but has chosen to completely retire from public life. The family is deeply appreciative of those who have supported Tom throughout his career, on and off the field, and who do so now by honoring his request for privacy."

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

*sigh* This will be the fiftieth anniversary of the Miracle Mets' improbable World Series win. There's going to be a day to celebrate that at Citi Field, and it's going to be a little gloomier without The Franchise.

I started going to Mets games in 1983, and I reckon Seaver pitched in most of them . . . mostly because they were Sunday day games. I was at the ceremony when his number was retired.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Adam Jones signed with Arizona. One year, three million dollars.

Despite the Machado/Harper headlines, the owners are totally crushing the players.

This makes me so incredibly sad that I'm going to buy all his discounted merch at the team store on opening day while I'm wearing a number 10 t-shirt.  So there! 

• Love 3

I found the addition of the million dollar prize for the home run derby interesting. Trying to get some more enthusiastic participation for it, since the past few years have been like pulling teeth for them to get players to do it.

• Love 1

That three batter limit is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.  Um, managers are there to MANAGE.  You can’t force them into situations that may not be beneficial to the team because of some arbitrary rule.

I have come to the realization that Rob Manfred sucks.  If he’s not careful he is going to land fractionally above Gary Bettman and way below Roger Goodell.

Aaron Judge is very spooked about the HR derby after what happened to him the year he did it.  And while watching his bombs fly all over Miami was awesome, he’s more useful in August than one spectacular night in July.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

It is a ridiculous rule.  I think it is clearly designed to speed up the game. 

If he wants to speed up the game, tell the batters to stop playing with themselves just before every pitch.  Just get in the batter's box and be ready for the pitch.

I know this is a really old film clip, but this type of shit always drove me nuts.

Mike Hargrove at the plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGm_JajqLo

There's a reason his nickname as a player was 'The Human Rain Delay'.

• Love 4
On 3/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, cleo said:

I don't like the all-star game either, I just don't see the point. I always get annoyed at waiting for meaningful games again. 

Inter-league play has ruined it. I didn't like the previous incarnation of just a week or two of games or whatever it was but I would gladly take it over the season long current situation. The separation of leagues is what made Saturday's Game of the Week so exciting to watch back in the Curt Gowdy days. It applies to the All Star game as well. Even living in the NYC area where I could watch both Yankees and Met games it was still fun to tune into the ASG to see the NL players like Bench, Clemente, etc. 

• Love 7