Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I found out yesterday that Jim Abbott had two ribbies in his career.

Tom Brady is an accomplished quarterback.  He’s not better than Aaron Rodgers. (This doesn’t really have a baseball correlation that I can see, I just wanted to mention it.  IMHO and all that)

• Like 1

I hate the DH. It's basically a way for aging players who don't have the agility to play a position any longer to stick around for a few more seasons and earn a few more paychecks. 

Having pitchers in the line-up should be part of the strategy of the game. As a longtime NL fan, I'm still finding it unnerving to have a real offensive threat starting in the nine slot. 

And there are those pitchers who can really hit, which can further complicate things. It's weird because, at the lower levels of baseball, most pitchers are good hitters. In high school ball, the top starting pitchers are usually the best athletes on the team, and often bat clean-up. 

It also leads to games like Steven Matz making his MLB debut with the Mets in 2015. He not only got the win on the mound, but contributed at the plate by getting three hits and driving in four runs, setting a couple of records in the process. His family was there to see it, including his grandfather, who was going absolutely bananas in the stands. It was a memorable game and so much fun to watch. It will never happen again.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I had been advocating for the universal DH for decades before it was finally adopted. While I agree completely that there is no enjoyment in watching pitchers in the batters box who absolutely cannot hit, my main concern was always the potential for injury to pitchers either in the box or on the bases.

As a Yankees' fan, I saw too many injuries happen this way over the years. I remember when Andy Pettitte took his three-year hiatus from the Yankees to play for Houston (then in the NL). He missed the bulk of his first season with the Astros when he injured his pitching arm at the plate while swinging. We saw multiple hamstring injuries to Masahiro Tanaka while running the bases. Then, there is the poster child for the universal DH, Chien-Ming Wang, who was injured running the bases in 2008, after having been one of the best pitchers in the game in 2006 and 2007. He was never the same after that injury and I will never get over the loss of a potential perennial all-star because AL pitchers were forced to hit and to run, when they were not consistently trained for those skills the way NL pitchers were.

I am still angry and I will die on that hill. 😠 It should not have taken FORTY-NINE f***ing years to have the DH across baseball.

Ohtani is the undisputed MVP of the NL for 2024. Designated Hitter is a legitimate position. Will he be able to put up numbers anywhere near those while pitching every fifth day? We'll see. He is, without a doubt, an exceptional athlete, but if he were still in the AL, he should still come in second in MVP voting compared to Aaron Judge, who also happens to be a fantastic outfielder.

Edited to add: I was writing at the same time @DXD526 was. I think it's great that we've laid out both sides of the DH argument back-to-back! Obviously, I disagree vehemently, but it's good to see both opinions.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Like 3

There are two types of people in this world - those who think it’s just peachy that Seattle wore three different uniforms in a three game series, and those who think the Yankees wearing the same beautiful pinstripes in all of their home games is the way it should be.

Edited by mojoween
  • Applause 2

I can understand why people think it's boring to watch a pitcher strikeout, but there's nothing more fun than watching your SP hit one out of the park. And I love watching a manager pull the strings on a pinch hit sequence. (And why do we just accept that pitchers suck at hitting? There have been pitchers who hit.)

As for the injury argument, I get it. My favorite pitcher of all time, Adam Wainwright, lost an entire season to an torn Achilles that happened in the batters box. But right now, Willson Contreras is ending the season on the IL because he got hit by a pitch and broke a finger. Should catchers not bat? I mean, they get thrown out at first a lot anyway, slow fuckers. Who wants to watch that? 😆 

I didn't care about the DH when it was just in the AL, and they should have left it that way. People like me who enjoy the strategy of pinch hitting and traditional lineups could watch the NL, and people who want to watch old dudes hit bombs could watch the AL. Something for everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I didn't care about the DH when it was just in the AL, and they should have left it that way. People like me who enjoy the strategy of pinch hitting and traditional lineups could watch the NL, and people who want to watch old dudes hit bombs could watch the AL. Something for everyone. 

The problem began with annual Interleague play, or as Michael Kay used to call it, "Let's get the Yankees and the Red Sox into town to sell more tickets." Unlike NL pitchers, AL pitchers didn't take regular BP, and didn't regularly practice base running, so they should never have had to bat INCLUDING at NL ballparks. They should never have been made to do something they weren't trained for. If NL teams wanted to have their pitchers bat instead, have at it, but AL teams shouldn't have been forced to change their game.

Of course catchers should bat. They're trained to be offensive players as well as defensive players. It's not an apples to apples comparison. AL pitchers only trained for and played defense.

• Like 2

Interleague Play was a problem on its own, period.  Speaking of which.  Still not super-thrilled about the watering down of the All-Star game.   As mentioned in the past, it's a shame that players who have played a certain way all year have to switch up their game 3-4 times during the fall classic.  So I guess having Interleague play got players prepped for that.

I guess it would help to know without looking how many games an AL team plays against the NL, but I would have just down 2 games within each team within a division.  Maybe a home and home

If I ran baseball, there'd be no more regular season interleague play. The balanced schedule stinks. For every interleague series of actual interest, there are three that are meaningless.

This weekend, the Guardians are in St. Louis. No shade to Cleveland; they're a great team and I hope they do well in the postseason. But a September series against *Cleveland*? Who is asking for that? Meanwhile, we won't see the Cubs for the last nearly two months of the season.

6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

It's not an apples to apples comparison.

I was mostly being facetious with the catcher comparison, but the whole construct of the DH is strange to me. Why have we collectively decided to take one position and just have them do half the job? It would be like in basketball, saying centers won't shoot free-throws, so if they get fouled, they'll stand off to the side while someone comes off the bench and shoots for them. Instead of just saying centers should practice their free-throws.

*clambers down from soap box*

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Unlike NL pitchers, AL pitchers didn't take regular BP, and didn't regularly practice base running, so they should never have had to bat INCLUDING at NL ballparks.

Well, my problem with no DH in the NL was that pitchers didn’t exactly get extensive training in that arena. College baseball used the DH. Other nations used the DH. So players drafted internationally and out of college were basically rolling back to playing like their boyhood days. Nobody else played that way anymore, it had to go.

As the for the more balanced schedule, I like it fine. I actually like NOT playing the same team 19 times. I get sick of seeing the same team so much.

I was Anti DH forever but I've been converted. Without the DH in 2022 the Phillies would have probably lost Bryce Harper for the season because he wouldn't have been able to play in the field and wouldn't have been able to hold off his Tommy John surgery until the off season . Also we would have to watch Kyle Schwarber in left field and I love Schwarber and his bat but he is not a good fielder.  I miss the managers having to make decisions on wether to pull a pitcher whose pitching a good game or let him bat with runners in scoring position  but don't really miss watching pitchers bat.

But Joe Blanton hitting the last home run by pitcher in a world series game will always be cool

• Like 1

The Chicago White Sox got loss #119 last night by losing to the Padres 6-2. 😊 They're now 2 losses away from reaching the apex of MLB futility. I'm going to enjoy the 2024 White Sox surpassing the 1962 Mets as the face of MLB futility. At least, the 1962 Mets have an excuse of being an expansion team. 

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2

The best part of the Yankees ending this set with the Athletics is that godawful horn is going to stay in Oakland.

So apparently horn dude is wandering around the stadium wearing a velvet cape blowing a vuvuzela, and how has no one hit this cat by now and stolen his horn?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1

“The Mets win! One week left in the regular season, and they are in contention for a wild card!”

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

”Next stop: Atlanta! They’re currently two games ahead of the Braves for a wild card spot!”

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

And I know that Pete Alonso isn’t as game-changing as Aaron Judge, but he’d better get that money from the Mets.

ETA: Here’s an article on the Mets’ resurgence from the New York Times. They say you have to subscribe to read, but you can do it for free if you use Reader View.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I cancelled my cable last month.  Just in case the Tigers make the post season, what are my viewing options?  Hopefully it won’t involve subscribing to half a dozen streaming services.

You will need a TV provider. From MLB:

Postseason schedule announced; flexible start date for World Series

There's a lot of info at that link, but here's the broadcast specific info you're looking for:

How can I watch the postseason?

The 2024 MLB postseason will be broadcast across a variety of networks.

All Wild Card Series games will be shown on either ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.

The NLDS will be broadcast on FOX or FS1, while TNT Sports will simulcast the ALDS on TBS, truTV and Max.

FOX or FS1 will broadcast the NLCS, while TBS, truTV and Max will be the home of the ALCS.

The World Series will be broadcast on FOX.

All games on TNT Sports platforms, FOX and FS1 will be available to MLB.TV subscribers who are authenticated subscribers to those networks via a participating pay TV provider. The Wild Card Series will also be available on the ESPN app.

I'm not going to tell St. Louis how to feel but for me I don't (or no longer) have an issue with Stan.  The fact is one can appear decent in terms of a human being, especially given the fact that someone named Art Modell existed.  Plus, felt like a league move since it's forbidden that the NFL lacks LA presence.

As for John Fisher, just ship him to Pluto.  Fair enough.

Yet Fisher looks decent when you put him and Modell in the same sentence.

On a more positive note, great job Philly!  On one hand, it's amazing that it's been that long without a division title.  On the other hand I don't always remember that things weren't great between their pennant wins

It's not just that the Rams moved. I don't watch football, so I honestly don't care. It's that he completely trashed the city and fanbase on the way out, after doing everything he could to tank the team. It's a freakishly exact parallel to what I've read about Fischer and Oakland. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

On a more positive note, great job Philly!  On one hand, it's amazing that it's been that long without a division title.  On the other hand I don't always remember that things weren't great between their pennant wins

I definitely remember all the bad times in between. The last couple years have been fun but the time between 2011 and 2022 were bad. The names of players that came and went. The guys that were supposed to be the next great hope that just didn't amount to anything. 

I'm particularly happy for Aaron Nola who was drafted in 2014 and made his debut in 2015 and was there for the worst of the debut. 

I didn't mind pitchers hitting, except for Ben Sheets.  It seemed as if every time he came up, there was 1 out, a runner on first, and instead of just standing there with the bat on his shoulder, he would swing away and hit a dribbler to the mound, double play and inning over.  He hated hitting, did not put not much/any effort into it, and I'm surprised I don't have long-term damage to my vocal chords from screaming DON'T SWING at my TV.  

But everyone once in a while there was a pitcher who took pride in their ability to hit, or at least bunt successfully.  I remember Glendon Rusch being used as a pinch hitter at times and having positive thoughts.  

On 9/23/2024 at 8:51 AM, ProudMary said:

How can I watch the postseason?

The 2024 MLB postseason will be broadcast across a variety of networks.

All Wild Card Series games will be shown on either ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.

The NLDS will be broadcast on FOX or FS1, while TNT Sports will simulcast the ALDS on TBS, truTV and Max.

FOX or FS1 will broadcast the NLCS, while TBS, truTV and Max will be the home of the ALCS.

The World Series will be broadcast on FOX.

All games on TNT Sports platforms, FOX and FS1 will be available to MLB.TV subscribers who are authenticated subscribers to those networks via a participating pay TV provider. The Wild Card Series will also be available on the ESPN app.

Thank you, ProudMary!

The only thing I can clearly understand, though, is that MLB really doesn’t want people to watch the postseason.  

I know I can stream ESPN and I might be able to get my local Fox and ABC stations on my antenna, but my god they are making it difficult.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
28 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Postseason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

And you're still not out of the division race either. The pressure was on the Orioles to win tonight and they came through. Now the pressure's on the Yankees to win one more game. All they need is one. The Os can really get in their heads if they win the next two.

Have a great night. Enjoy!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

THEY

CANNOT

WIN 

SPECIAL

GAMES.

I am displeased.

I think they've won enough World Series to disprove that.  😊. I'm glad the Orioles are finally hitting again, but I don't expect them to sweep the Yankees.

Right now, I'm more interested in them going further in the playoffs than they did last year.  I'm hopeful.  They have another year of maturity and they aren't going in as the number 1 team with all those expectations and pressure.  🤞

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Johannah said:

I don't expect them to sweep the Yankees.

I do! 😄

I just looked at the matchups for tomorrow and the Orioles' stats against Cole are better than the Yankees' numbers against Burnes. 

It's a good thing the Yankees went 5-1 on their west coast trip while the Os were slumping. 

I don't know if the Yankees have to face Skenes when the Pirates come into the Bronx Friday through Sunday, but this could still become interesting. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Mets and Bravos are finishing up the season by themselves on Monday.

I'm getting that sinking feeling where the Mets will wind up on the outside looking in yet again, and Grimace wouldn't be able to do jack for them.

While I'm thinking about it . . . how can the Mets use Grimace? Would they have to pay McDonalds?

I just saw the interview with Robin Yount and Jackson Chourio that was on MLB Network.  The Kid, who is adored by Brewers' fans, and the kid all Brewers' fans hope can give them 20 years of great play like Robin did.

I feel so sorry for the Oakland fans.  I've never been through that with the teams I follow and I hope I never am.

• Like 3

I'm so sad for As' fans. There were so many exciting games played at the stadium and Oakland fans were always great. It's such a needlessly sad day. This was preventable. 

A different kind of awful topic: This, from ESPN. (Not behind a paywall.)

Wander Franco ordered to stand trial in sexual abuse case

Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco will stand trial on charges that he sexually abused a minor following a judge's ruling Thursday in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.

Judge Pascual Valenzuela determined that both the accusation and evidence presented by the prosecution had sufficient merits to warrant a trial. Valenzuela would rule on a verdict at the trial, which does not have a set date yet.

• Sad 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

Kansas City fan grieving for & with A’s fans today.

Kid-me would’ve been astonished at this reax, because I sure hated your team in the 70s.  IYKYK

Cleveland fan here feeling the same.  Never happened with our baseball team, but we lived through it with the Browns.

I equally enjoyed and hated the A's back in the 70's.  What a collection of free spirits/weirdos!  Charlie Finley and the mule look good in comparison to the current regime.  How many great players did those teams have?  Reggie Jackson, Vida Blue, Mudcat Grant, Gene Tenace, Sal Bando and on and on.  What great teams those were and so much fun to watch, especially for those of us living in the vast wasteland that was Indians' baseball in that era.

My nephew died way too young earlier this year at only 43.  I am thinking of him today as his very favorite player ever was Jose Canseco (hey, he was a little kid!).  He had a beat-up A's cap he wore 24/7 for a couple years.  I took him to  Cooperstown to see the Hall in '94, shortly after Jose was traded.  He was heartbroken, but so excited to see his idol's A's uniform was the one on display with the team uni's. I took a great photo of him standing next to it, the look on his face was priceless.  We also spent hours combing the card shops for a Canseco rookie card.  He shelled out $80 of hard-earned lawn mowing money on it.  He still had it, pristine in its plastic case, even though it is probably worthless now.  Nothing like your first baseball hero, even if he did turn out to be Jose Canseco.

Edited by Notabug
  • Hugs 3
(edited)

I have so many memories of that place. There were years where I would go to around 30 games a year. 

I am in Moneyball. They show the actual footage of the homer that extended the win streak to 20 games. That ball landed in the row behind is in the RF bleachers. My husband's face is clearly visible as are my outstretched arms. 

This really sucks. I cannot say Fuck You Fisher enough. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Hugs 7