Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Happy Thanksgiving Aim!  Enjoy the trip.

And Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!  I totally agree about this being the best forum on the site!   (Well, maybe tied with the TCM thread... :-) )

• Love 1

I have a question for Cubs fans. How do you guys feel to possibly be on the cusp of something great?

As my user name strongly implies, I'm a Sox fan, and I remember not ever believing it would happen even when it happened. My brother and I joke that we watched Game 4 in 2004 the same way, hunched over the couch, with the lights out, in the dark, alone.....

• Love 1

So Greinke swerved and went to Arizona, for 6 years and 206 million pending physical.

So where will Cueto go?

And BB is Lead Batting Coach for the Marlins with the current one becoming assistant.

Edited by jennifer6973

So Greinke swerved and went to Arizona, for 6 years and 206 million pending physical.

So where will Cueto go?

And BB is Lead Batting Coach for the Marlins with the current one becoming assistant.

For an extra year and $50m more, I'd swerve too.

It ended up being 206.5, plus they mentioned Arizona doesn't have State Income Tax so that might have been a part of it also.  (Not that it matters, athletes have to pay income tax in each state that has income tax, if they play in that state.)

Jeff Samardzjia has signed with the Giants for 5 years 90 Million pending a physical.

Edited by jennifer6973

Wow, so much action!

Years ago I was at a WNBA game in New York and through the binoculars I was scoping around for celeb sightings. On the Liberty bench I see this rather large, bald headed man in a suit chatting with Kym Hampton but  I couldn't recognize him.  I found out later it was Barry Bonds. I had not really seen him play much back then as he was in SF so I was surprised. How could he have gotten so huge, I thought. It was then I realized why all the talk about steroids was so loud.

Needless to say the Yanks won't be paying big money for anyone, and that's ok by me. As long as they can have 2 more seasons like this past one so that they can divest themselves of Tex/A-Rod/CC/Beltran ? It isn't George Steinbrenner's MLB any more but my hope is that the organization can become players again. 

I do wish Price would have signed with the Cubs as was rumored but I'm guessing he didn't want to change leagues and I think he mos prob likes the Eastern clubs. For some reason I think he actually hates the idea of being a NYY. No matter.

BTW, do we have to have a farewell tour for David Ortiz? I think Mariano and Derek deserved theirs and maybe Ortiz does, too. But does every player who has played 10-15 years automatically get a farewell? I guess only the iconic ones. Torii Hunter was a very, very good player but he didn't get a farewell, did he?

It ended up being 206.5, plus they mentioned Arizona doesn't have State Income Tax so that might have been a part of it also.  (Not that it matters, athletes have to pay income tax in each state that has income tax, if they play in that state.)

Jeff Samardzjia has signed with the Giants for 5 years 90 Million pending a physical.

Arizona has State Income Tax. 41 of the 50 states have income tax. The states with MLB teams that have no income tax are Florida, Texas, and Washington.

I do wish Price would have signed with the Cubs as was rumored but I'm guessing he didn't want to change leagues and I think he mos prob likes the Eastern clubs. For some reason I think he actually hates the idea of being a NYY. No matter.

There were reports that he thought he was going to the Cardinals as recently as the morning that he signed with the Red Sox. The Cubs are reported to have offered much less than the Cardinals who offered much less than the Red Sox.

Edited to add that the Boston Globe has an article about Price's decision. Among other things it says that he received offers from a few National League teams and preferred the American League. He was open to returning to the Blue Jays, Tigers, or Rays. But, the Red Sox were the American League team that had the financial ability and willingness to offer him the type of contract he agreed to. 

Edited by RaeSpellman
  • Love 1

Well. Torii chose not to announce his retirement until after the season was over. And there was another player who did the same thing(but I can't remember who)so as to avoid the "farewell tour" circus.

True, re Torii's late announcement. Jorge Posada announced after his season was over. Jorgie got his Yankee farewell and that's good enough for me.

Well. Torii chose not to announce his retirement until after the season was over. And there was another player who did the same thing(but I can't remember who)so as to avoid the "farewell tour" circus.

It was Greg Maddux and for that very reason.  I have a lot more respect for the guys who go out quietly like that than the ones who make it an 'all about me' spectacle.

• Love 2

Arizona has State Income Tax. 41 of the 50 states have income tax. The states with MLB teams that have no income tax are Florida, Texas, and Washington.

There were reports that he thought he was going to the Cardinals as recently as the morning that he signed with the Red Sox. The Cubs are reported to have offered much less than the Cardinals who offered much less than the Red Sox.

I was going with what MLB Network was saying, CA's is 13 % so maybe there is less Income tax in AZ.

Edited by jennifer6973

I have a lot more respect for the guys who go out quietly like that than the ones who make it an 'all about me' spectacle.

I thought I read that Ortiz was not going to do an announcement, but was convinced to do so to let his fans to get to see him at Fenway or on the road one last time. Even though they've finished in last place 3 of the 4 most recent seasons, it can be difficult enough to get Sox tickets without this added on top.

I thought I read that Ortiz was not going to do an announcement, but was convinced to do so to let his fans to get to see him at Fenway or on the road one last time. Even though they've finished in last place 3 of the 4 most recent seasons, it can be difficult enough to get Sox tickets without this added on top.

I felt at the time that this was what happened with Jeter too and it ballooned into what it did because he's Derek Jeter. I think he would have been perfectly fine without that level of attention paid but when there's fans across the country, and money to be made for the teams, it's going to happen regardless. 

• Love 1

I felt at the time that this was what happened with Jeter too and it ballooned into what it did because he's Derek Jeter. I think he would have been perfectly fine without that level of attention paid but when there's fans across the country, and money to be made for the teams, it's going to happen regardless.

I agree. At one point, he was quoted as saying something like "I didn't know I died."

• Love 2

Rumors abound. Starling Castro to Yankees? Zobrist actually signed with Cubs. Gardner for Castro? Word is Gardy not involved. Some saying Cubs want Adam Warren, which really breaks my heart. I love him and want him to be a starter but Yanks love his versatility.

I don't want to lose him but I must prepare myself. 

Zobrist signed with Cubs, Cubs sent Castro to Yankees.

At least Zobrist didn't go to the Mets and Castro traded one pinstripe team for another.

and as usual all this is pending physicals. or review of medicals

Plus Shelby MIller is going to the Diamondbacks for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair to the Braves.

I believe Dansby was 1st pick in the draft in 15 and played for Vandy.  

Edited by jennifer6973

Rumor is Warren was in the Castro deal. I hate to lose Warren but nice to see the Yanks sign a non-geriatric player for once. I'm dreading to see who the Player to Be Named Later is, though.

Say it ain't so, mojo! I will so miss Adam but if the Cubs make him a starter I am happy for him just as I was happy for Murphy going to Twins. With any luck, future Free Agent Warren can sign with Yanks.

Oh shit, Brendan gone, too. Role player for sure but what can you do.

Didn't happen, I don't think the Giants were ever really a part of his plans.  And by that the clear front runners were NYM and Washington, until the Cubs came out of left field last night like a ninja.

Zobrist lives in Nashville, and I think that was one of the reason he wanted to be on the east coast or midwest.

Edited by jennifer6973

I can wrap my head around Warren going to Cubs because it makes sense. But Justin Wilson for 2 prospects does not make me happy and certainly not to Detroit. I hope there will be more things to come because the pen is not looking great to me.

I can wait.

It seems like they accepted pretty early on that he wasn't going to be in the cards for them.

Pretty excited for Mets fans that they got Neil Walker. He's a hometown, homegrown Pittsburgh boy, so that he was traded at all must be a little jarring for their fanbase but I do hope he fits in well in New York.

Pretty excited for Mets fans that they got Neil Walker. He's a hometown, homegrown Pittsburgh boy, so that he was traded at all must be a little jarring for their fanbase but I do hope he fits in well in New York.

Yes, it is.

While those of us that follow the team closely expected Walker to be traded, I bet there are a lot of unhappy kids in Pittsburgh right now.

Winter meetings winners and losers?

I think winners are: Braves and Red Sox (totally biased opinion), I also like what the Phils are doing.

Losers: that Chapman mess puts the Dodgers and Reds in this category, also me for posting a winners and losers thread when the offseason isn't close to over....