Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E20: No Good Deed

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

DiNozzo is partnered with his girlfriend ATF Special Agent Zoé Keates after evidence reveals that the murder weapon in an NCIS case was originally purchased for the controversial ATF sting operation “Operation Fast and Furious.” Also, Anthony DiNozzo Sr. returns to town for a special dinner to meet his son’s girlfriend.

I can't help thinking, well, they killed off Tim's father, then they killed off Diane...seems to leave them with a smaller group of revolving visiting characters...I was seriously concerned that Delilah was going to get killed off in her last appearance, luckily she was with Tim at the time.

What I am getting at is they seem to have painted themselves into a corner here where we end up with more Senior appearances than anyone can stand...maybe the writers should have thought about that first.

• Love 1

What about that sexy agent afloat guy? Why can't they bring him back? Did he get killed off and I just don't remember? Or was there no point unless there was a single woman around to have him flirt with? (Last I remember, Tony thought he was hitting on Ziva, but then he revealed that he was recently engaged. Then he got attacked by the Perp of the week, but I didn't think it killed him.

Or, better yet.. just give us a whole lot more of Fornell and Emily.

• Love 1

I hate it when Robert Wagner phones in an appearance. His character and story lines do not fit in to NCIS and he is so annoying. Bringing him on so much along with stupidly losing Ziva will be the death of this show.

• Love 2

Hmm, well, all I can say about the episode is that there were far too many outdoor shots that were obviously southern California and not the Metro DC area.  I hate when they get sloppy like that.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh great.. Senior is moving to DC. Shoot me now.

On the other hand.. note to Junior: You want to impress your girlfriend? Don't humiliate your father in front of her. That was unkind to BOTH of them.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 5
(edited)

I was definitely not thrilled to see Robert Wagner back again, especially so soon after his last appearance. At least he wasn't involved in the case this time. I just... look, Senior means well. He's trying with Tony. But he's as dense as a cement wall. It's one thing to move to be near your son as you age, but seriously-- the same building?! He's just totally clueless-- at least he wised up at the end and they had a conversation about it. I do agree with Zoe that Tony needs to not blame all his problems on his dad, though. I feel like Tony uses his dad has a defense/excuse to not really address his problems and just doesn't communicate.

Other than that, this case felt unfinished to me so I wonder if it's going to crop again as the season closes out. We'll see, I guess!

What about that sexy agent afloat guy? Why can't they bring him back? Did he get killed off and I just don't remember? Or was there no point unless there was a single woman around to have him flirt with? (Last I remember, Tony thought he was hitting on Ziva, but then he revealed that he was recently engaged. Then he got attacked by the Perp of the week, but I didn't think it killed him.

Ahh, Special Agent Stan Burley! I like him too. I would love to see him back again.

Edited by catray
  • Love 4

Enough of Senior.  

And I just love how he's "not a con man," yet his very last line is about wanting to find a bunch of rich old ladies. Yeah, he's not playing any games. Right.

I don't find him amusing. I don't like that every team member seems completely charmed by him, even when he's upsetting Tony. I don't like Gibbs deciding for Tony when and if he should talk to his own father. If Gibbs doesn't want Senior crashing at his place, then HE needs to communicate that better. But he doesn't get to tell Tony to fix anything. It's not his business, and it's not his right. Senior isn't Jackson Gibbs, far from it.

And I don't like that Senior has absolutely no regard for his own son -- rearranging his furniture (who asked you to do that?), setting his kitchen on fire trying to show off, deciding he's going to insinuate himself into his son's life after many years of not bothering (and no, Tony, it's not 'ancient history,' I think there's a lot you haven't said to him that you need to say).

I don't care how charming Robert Wagner is; I really don't like Senior and I'm tired of the writers trying to force him down my throat as if I'm supposed to be charmed by him just like all the characters are. I'm not.

• Love 8
(edited)

It's funny. I can see what about Senior bothers Tony, and for that matter what about him bothers people watching.

For me, though, it kind of works that after all those years of being bitter and resentful about Senior not being in his life, Tony would be faced with Senior wanting to be in his life and discover that it's not all he thought it was going to be. It seems to have escaped Tony's notice that if he had an active father around he would lose a certain amount of the freedom that comes from being autonomous, and that that active parent would be Senior. 

Especially since Tony is a big fan of Ozzie Nelson's  imaginary TV parenting (and yes, I know that was a shoutout to Mark Harmon's family), I think it's pretty realistic that Tony was going to discover that his childhood dream of having a closely knit family was not going to look the way he imagined it would.

Edited by Julia

At this point, I think Tony would be happy if his dad at the very least respected his space.

I don't think it's a unrealistic storyline, but I don't like the way the writers push Senior on me as a viewer, as if I'm supposed to like him or be cool with him because he's Tony's dad and everyone should love their fathers because you don't know how long you'll have with them. Just because that is usually true doesn't mean it's true for Tony. There are plenty of people who have to step away from relationships with members of their family because those relationships are dangerous or toxic or simply too harmful. And Senior has done a lot of harm over the years.

I'm actually a little bummed we didn't get to see their full argument. Tony told his colleagues the next day that he'd had a massive argument with his father, and his father had stormed out. And later in the episode Tony apologized for the things he'd said, saying he hadn't meant them, and Senior had said he wasn't sure that was true. I would have liked to have heard those things, because I think those are things Tony needs to say and we need to hear him say those things and see him finally tell his dad all the things he's been bottling up since he was a child. They're definitely not "ancient history." In fact, it wasn't long ago this season that Tony struggled with facing some of his troubled teenaged past, and his father was definitely not there for him during those struggles and humiliations. If the writers plan to just erase all of Senior's discretions with a simple "ancient history, Dad" comment from Tony, I find that dissatisfying, unrealistic and way too easy.

I think part of the problem is the showrunners seem to want to paint Senior as this harmless continental "dreamer" businessman who oversteps boundaries and thinks it's funny and charming and that's it. But I don't see him that way.

That said, I do appreciate that they had Senior finally showing a tiny bit of self-awareness in the final scene when he admitted he'd been selfish and that he sees now that he can't just force himself into Tony's life and take over everything. 

• Love 1

I think the reason for the continuing appearances for DiNozzo senior is that NCIS always had subplots involving characters having to deal with aging parents and they probably want to keep that theme going. In the case of Ducky and Gibbs those plots worked really well and were quite poignant. DiNozzo senior is anything but your typical parent and the attempt to steer him into those geriatric waters isn't working that well so far. It may take some time to make it work.

• Love 1

I guess Robert Wagner will be reocurring more and more frequently now on the Show.  I enjoy Wagner on this Show. 

Senior is just trying too hard to be a dad now.  Why on earth did he think his minimal cooking skills is going to impress Tony and his girlfriend?  Did he think rearranging Tony's furniture in the apartment was going to help endear him to Tony?  I confess, I laughed my ass off when I saw Tony on the floor after tripping over the piano when he tried to get to the window after Senior nearly burnt down his kitchen.  Senior is just trying too hard to be a part of Tony's life now.  When I heard that Senior managed to get an apartment in the same building as Tony's apartment, I wasn't exactly thrilled.  I like Wagner doing this reocurring role once in a while, but to be on the show all the time would just be wierd!  I was relieved when Senior found another place to live.  I like Senior in small bites to bring humor to the show, but not be on the show all the time.

This show's mystery of the dead soldier is just so terribly sad.  This guy tried to do a good deed to help this kidnapped woman and he ends up dead because of it.  Even sadder was the dead female junkie.  Just heartbreaking.

• Love 2

I don't mind Senior.  He can be irritating and his episodes repetitive, but the ones this season were trying to progress his relationship with Tony and they did.  He admits that he's selfish and doesn't deserve Tony looking after him after he failed to be a father to Tony all of these years, and that's all I ever wanted to hear from him.  I certainly don't need to see Senior more than once or so a season, but I like that Tony and Senior's relationship has evolved.

It was also interesting to see Tony with Zoe and that their relationship continues even if their ability to last is up in the air.  Senior scared Zoe a little and brought to light the fact that Tony has a complicated past with commitment and making relationships work.   Senior is usually able to charm everyone, and it was nice that he didn't have the same effect on Zoe.  Zoe might have her own issues, too, but at least both she and Tony are trying now that the honeymoon period is over.  

Senior is just trying too hard to be a dad now.  Why on earth did he think his minimal cooking skills is going to impress Tony and his girlfriend?  Did he think rearranging Tony's furniture in the apartment was going to help endear him to Tony? 

Which is funny, because during that one christmas episode, we learned that Senior is a pretty good cook, and we saw Tony go postal on him for moving his furniture.

He can be irritating and his episodes repetitive, but the ones this season were trying to progress his relationship with Tony and they did.  He admits that he's selfish and doesn't deserve Tony looking after him after he failed to be a father to Tony all of these years, and that's all I ever wanted to hear from him.

That was the best part, Senior admitting that. Ordinarily I'd probably be more appreciative of the moment as good character (and relationship) development, but I guess at this point I'm already tired of him as a character, we've been so oversaturated by his presence lately, and such a comment comes after way too long of the entire team treating him like he's cool even as they see him hurting Tony, so for me it comes as too little, too late. I need more than just Senior sheepishly admitting he's been a lousy father.

One part that I thought was terrific was Zoe's comment to Tony that he can't use his father as an excuse for everything. That was an excellent point, and something good for Tony to hear. It's something many of us have to learn (I'm certainly still working on it in terms of one of my relationships!) -- that when we're kids, we don't have the knowledge/experience/mental protection/control to not absorb certain messages from our parents or loved ones, so it takes a very long time to "un-learn" those messages, but once we're to a certain point in adulthood (or through therapy) where we're finally becoming self-aware, from that point forward our actions are our own, and no longer need to follow what we were taught. The hard part is taking those conscious steps to un-learn and to make different choices now that we have the awareness and the control. It's very hard. Especially when -- like with Tony -- we're talking about 30+ years of conditioning to think a certain way about yourself because of your loved one's behaviors.

• Love 2
And I just love how he's "not a con man," yet his very last line is about wanting to find a bunch of rich old ladies. Yeah, he's not playing any games. Right.

I completely agree. I would have accepted a remark about wanting to move to a senior community because of the lady:gentleman ratio being very much in his favor, but adding the "rich widow" thing was slightly creepy.

• Love 5

Even sadder was the dead female junkie.  Just heartbreaking.

I nearly lost it when her mother was in autopsy identifying the body, and the tears in her eyes when she told Ducky she wanted to donate her daughter's college fund to the Marines seemed so realistic to me.  Very nicely done by the actress.

• Love 6
(edited)

Yes, the guest actor who played the Mom hit that one out of the park.  Both that scene in autopsy, and the scene at the hot dog truck were killer.  She completely nailed the pathos and contradictions in being the mother of an addict who hit bottom and stayed there.  Palmer's scene where he is disturbed by how the victim's life had gone so badly and his fears for his family was pretty good too.  Palmer's development in this series is one of my favorite looooong arc.

Sigh.  Tony's dad.  Again.  Wait, isn't he the only living father left on the show?  Not counting Vance and Palmer that is...  Ellie's dad is well away in, where, Oklahoma?  Kansas?  We don't know about Vance's dad, but Jackie's dad is still alive.  Hey now, there's a buddy comedy waiting to happen...  As I recall, Ben Vereen's character as Jackie's estranged dad is supposed to be a bit shady, and Robert Wagner's DiNozzo Sr. character is a bit shady....let's get that wacky couple together for some hijinks at the old folks home!

Edited by HurricaneVal
  • Love 4

What really bothers me is the way Tony's father always refers to Tony as Junior.  Like he's not an adult, and like he is simply a lesser version of himself, not a real person in his own right.

Also, am I the only one who found it creepy the way he was practically coming on to Zoe?  I know he thinks he is being charming, but to me he really came across as smarmy.

• Love 5

What really bothers me is the way Tony's father always refers to Tony as Junior

IIRC "our" Tony's full name is "Anthony Dinozzo Jr."

I know 4 guys were given the same name as their father. They were called, since childhood:

"Junior";  "J. R." ; "Tommy"-Dad was Tom; and by the shared middle name, which was never used to address the father.

I don't see it as a put down, but merely how he has always referred to his son.

• Love 2

I liked the Mum and her helplessness storyline. The AFT unsure ? Are the becoming the CIA now, the Agency full of twits ?

As for Senior, we have two different types of Senior stories and we have seen both now this Season and i prefer this type. I don't like the "Undercover Senior" ones. One i don't like treating undercover work like a joke and two it's really disrespectful to Tony. This is his Dad , good or bad, you can't just use him when you feel like it. and it always puts Tony off his game and it should. His dad gets puts into dangerous situations without Tony there. That's way too much to ask of an Agent.

I prefer this one. Tony and Senior i don't think will ever work out their relationship mainly cause they don't know how to have one. Both of them are trying really hard but Tony has been by himself for a long time now and Senior hasn't been a Dad since his wife died. 30 something years later they are both too stuck in their own ways.

But because Tony wants it, Gibbs will try to help. And to me that's the best bit, it enhances the Gibbs/DiNozzo relationship which i love.

• Love 1

Another SQUEE!!! for me regarding seeing another JAG alumni, even though he wasn't playing his JAG character!

Gunny!!!!!!! That would be Galindez, played by Randy Vasquez, except here, he was Zoe's friend and colleague ATF dude. Even with that beard, he still looks HAWT.

So, errm...what was the point of the crime? Because it wasn't clear to me. Instead of it being Story A, it was the subplot, and Tony's issues with Senior was Story A.

I love Wagner, but wanted to see those scenes that occured offscreen, both at Tony's place and Gibbs's place.

Any episode that has Mark Harmon smiling is a winner as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 1

I'm just so sick of OMG ROBERT WAGNER WALKED IN, Bishop and Abby give him giant smiles and hugs, Gibbs a cordial hello, McGee a friendly hello, and Tony looks like a deer caught in headlights and we're clearly supposed to side with Anyone But Tony on this. It was enough to have it once a season and now it's been twice in the last couple months. DO NOT LIKE.

If they could write Senior as improving some of his irritating traits, I might be willing to not completely despise his appearances. Like he can continue the womanizing and at a retirement community off screen would be fine. But can we please, please, please drop things like destroying Tony's kitchen and rearranging his furniture, and we're all supposed to give him a pass for this because it is, after all ROBERT WAGNER?

I have no idea what happened otherwise in this ep because I was too busy being annoyed at Senior. I don't care for this either.

• Love 8

I'm a little surprised that so many people think Senior's annoying habits are intended to be sympathetic or likable. I don't get that at all. I get that Senior is pretty clearly where most of Tony's obnoxious traits come from.

(edited)

Bishop and Abby give him giant smiles and hugs, Gibbs a cordial hello, McGee a friendly hello,

I can buy McGee being friendly because they had a nice bonding experience as "father and son" in a previous episode. I can buy Bishop being friendly because she doesn't know the backstory (but hugging him? She's not the huggy type and she barely knows him) I can buy Gibbes being cordial because, for all his "functional mute" characteristics, he would be old fashioned about respect for your elders and senior is a not a collegue, so being rude would be unacceptable.

But Abby is always SO protective of her co-workers, and gets so worked about about anyone doing them wrong, that her gushiness can only be chalked up to the infantilization of the character. "He's a Father Figure!!! I get to be a little girl!!!!"

Acckk.

Although I can also understand that perhaps she feels Tony needs to mend fences while he still has a living parent, cause you never know when you'll lose them forever... maybe that's her motivation for welcoming Senior with such enthusiasm.

That could be true for Gibbes and McFatherless too.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

I'm a little surprised that so many people think Senior's annoying habits are intended to be sympathetic or likable

I feel that way because the writers treat Senior's habits that way. They have Bishop and Ziva and Abby and McGee like (and even adore) Senior, as if his habits and the way he treats Tony don't matter. All of them know that Tony has a complicated relationship with Senior, yet they still treat Senior like the most awesome man to walk through the doors of NCIS.

To me one of the best parts was when McGee finally said something to Senior, about his conman-like ways, because I finally felt like McGee "got it" and was seeing some of the issues that Tony has with his father and finally stood with Tony on it, rather than treating Senior like he can do no wrong. But the writers ruined that for me when they brushed it aside with "Tony thinks I'm a conman?" which showed that Senior has absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever about his oily slick salesman-like behaviors. I wouldn't have even minded if Senior simply saw his own behavior differently (because obviously he would, given the guy he is), but my problem was that the writers glorified Senior's view of things and treated Tony as if he was wrong about his dad and had no right to see his dad as a conman or someone who doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself and earning money.

• Love 4

I don't even know that I think the writers are trying to portray Senior's habits to be annoying, I think it's more that the writers are trying to set up that Senior is wonderful and charming, and we should just hand wave his annoying habits, since that's what everyone but Tony does for the most part. I don't find him wonderful or charming, just slick and obnoxious. It's never inappropriate to be polite to someone with whom your coworker (and the characters are all portrayed to have a good relationship with and care about Tony) has a difficult relationship, but I don't feel it's appropriate to act like he's all amazing in the way that most of them do.

• Love 6

I don't even know that I think the writers are trying to portray Senior's habits to be annoying, I think it's more that the writers are trying to set up that Senior is wonderful and charming,

I feel like RW is the problem. He just doesn't come across as charming, even in superficial interactions. I can't even accept him as a con-man because he would have to be a whole lot more charming and persuasive than he is. Of course, he isn't a very successful con-man these days, so there's that.. lol

• Love 1

Maybe it helps if you're familiar with his earlier work. He's had a very successful TV career over five decades playing charming conmen. I think, though, they were smooth in a way that people today would find smarmy. Maybe that's why his character works for me.

• Love 3

Maybe it helps if you're familiar with his earlier work. He's had a very successful TV career over five decades playing charming conmen. I think, though, they were smooth in a way that people today would find smarmy. Maybe that's why his character works for me.

I loved him in Hart to Hart. He really does feel smarmy now though

• Love 2

I loved him in Hart to Hart. 

I LOVE Jonathan Hart! But I was shocked to learn Wagner was 50-something when it premiered. He looked a decade younger. And Sexay. And the chemistry between him and Stephanie...hmmm....mebbe I should have posted this in the guest stars thread? Do we have one?

• Love 1

I watch this for the crime of the week and for the Team chemistry . Boy did the crime take a back seat to Senior!!! Lets just set up the perp and shoot him in the back, case solved! It was a not a very satisfying storyline, like oops too much RJ , gotta quick solve the case leaving tons of loose ends, very sloppy writing.

One of many unanswered questions:: why was she asking for help in the car when she was a drug addict with a drug dealer??? What was she afraid of?????? Still not understanding why he had to shoot someone on a cycle when they were in a car??

• Love 1

I LOVE Jonathan Hart! But I was shocked to learn Wagner was 50-something when it premiered. He looked a decade younger. And Sexay. And the chemistry between him and Stephanie...hmmm....mebbe I should have posted this in the guest stars thread? Do we have one?

We don't have a guest stars thread but I'm happy to create one if you guys want.  Someone come up with a snappy title for it!

Sorry but I don't find the appearance of Robert Wagner to be one bit interesting. He comes across as dull, flat, and boring. He was once a good actor but time and age have done a number on him. He is no longer fancy and sexy just a tired old man. Even his voice has been affected. His performance is like watching a person read a script, almost rote in manner. No life or spark there anymore.

• Love 1
I get that Senior is pretty clearly where most of Tony's obnoxious traits come from.

That's how I interpret him and maybe why he doesn't irk me that much.  The other characters like him because frankly he's not their father.  They don't have to get so close to him so they can like him from afar because he's friendly to them and hasn't done anything to them.  He comes to the office, says hi, seems to ruffle Tony's feathers, and that's probably the extent of what they see, but I loved that Zoe was put off by him a little because she saw Tony and Senior up close and in Tony's home.  She saw the dysfunction, and I found that to be an interesting reaction on her part.

• Love 1

I'm a little surprised that so many people think Senior's annoying habits are intended to be sympathetic or likable. I don't get that at all. I get that Senior is pretty clearly where most of Tony's obnoxious traits come from.

I'd probably buy into that if Senior hadn't been a neglectful father. From everything we've been told, Tony was shuffled around in boarding schools; whenever he was with his father, Dear old Dad left him to fend for himself.  Which leads to my thinking Senior wasn't around long enough, or just enough, for Tony to get the obnoxious traits from him.

• Love 1

I am familiar with his earlier work.  I loved RJ in "It Takes A Thief" and "Switch." I even went thru a phase where I tried to see all of his movies (Prince Valiant was epic!) but I really never cared much for "Hart to Hart." For some reason the character of Senior doesn't have half the charm that any of RJ's previous characters do.  

For some reason the character of Senior doesn't have half the charm that any of RJ's previous characters do.  

Because the behavior that may come across as charming in a handsome young man towards women his own age feels delusional in a much older man, especially when directed at much younger women?

Having someone old enough to be their grandfather (or at least father) flirting with these young women is just all kinds of weird. Writers, etc... please move into the 21st century with the rest of us. Most of the female fans of the show don't want someone 1 or 2 generations ahead of us to be hitting on us.

Although, somehow, Ralph Waite DID make it charming! ;)

However, I think the difference is that PappyGibbes was flirting with an "I'm way too old for you, and I know it, but humor an old man out of kindness and we'll pretend" attitude, whereas DNozzo Senior is flirting like he really thinks he might get somewhere. He's not just flirting for fun and to pay compliments the ladies like GibbesSr. He's like an older version of Tony who never grew up even as much as Tony did, and he has no self-awareness. 75 year old Peter Pans just aren't that appealing. (Tony take note.. eventually it's not going to look good on YOU either!)

Gibbes Sr would have NEVER acted on any of this (and would have probably been horrified at the thought of actually having a fling with Abby, Kate or Ziva) but you know DNSr would if he got half a chance. He really is hitting on them, not just flirting. It's manipulative charm rather than genuine charm from someone with a good heart. He's flirting for his own gratification and personal gain. GibbesSr was using flirting as a way to compliment the ladies in an old fashioned way. GibbesSr also wanted to make the ladies feel good, and if the way he behaved had bothered them, he'd have stopped because he felt awful about it. If DNSr's behavior bothered the ladies, he'd stop because it wasn't working. Big difference.

I can't tell if it is the actor or the way they write and direct his character and he just can't make it work. But with all the things they could do with the character and the father-son dynamic, they've really just failed.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 6

And I cannot recall a single episode about someone's mother either, btw. It may have happened, there's a lot of seasons of this thing, but I don't recall one. 

There was a bunch of stuff about Gibbs' mom in the 200th episode and the one about his dad's death, and there were two episodes with Duckie's mom. 

Given that the show's been on for 11 years, 3 episodes doesn't sound like much.  :)

Nope, it isn't much, and part of that is the Disney-level of dead moms. Just saying, there were some.

• Love 4

Don't forget the episode with the Mother-in-Law, but I definitely agree with the dearth of mother episodes. 

I mean, we never heard a lot about Ziva's mom.  We did actually see Macy's mom, but Macy wasn't a main character.