Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

(edited)

The DVDs usually have one "behind-the-scenes" bonus feature, but not a lot of extras, really. The main reason to buy the DVDs is to get the full, unedited show. As some of the edits have been so bizarre as to render the edited show incomprehensible in comparison, I would say it's worth it to buy them just to be able to see the complete show. Seriously, when I first watched the season 2 and 3 DVDs it was a constant litany or "oh so THAT's what that later scene was supposed to mean!" Also,"they cut THAT scene? WhyI?"

Episode 4x02 was edited slightly better than 4x01, in my opinion, but really, this show was written and filmed so that basically everything shown is essential in some way. Editing it so heavily seriously damages the show's integrity and narrative structure. 7 minutes per episode is a lot in a one hour show. They can try as they may to make it coherent, but inevitably, important scenes will end up getting cut. What's worse this year is that some stations are showing it unedited and some aren't, which is entirely unfair.

I posted a link to a video that (in longer form) is included on the UK DVD set in the "Midwives in the Media" thread. I'm not sure if that will be on the US DVD, but I hope so.

Edited by Beldasnoop
  • Love 2

When the vicar and Sister Julienne are talking in the garden about what kind of service can be held for the stillborn child, Tom says that the child can't have funeral or a separate coffin, but must be buried in the coffin of a stranger.  That's the point when Sister Julienne receives the letter about the death of her old friend. 

Did anyone else think that she would have suggested that the child be buried with Mr. Newgarden? Just me? 

Wow, either they did a really good job of making Nicholas Farrell look ancient, or I'm at death's door myself.

Boy, those wee yellow booties were the cutest.

I think it's going to be fairly easy for Patsy to stay safe. Intimate friendships between women were common enough to be overlooked, so one that was more 'intimate' than others might even go completely unnoticed. Two unmarried ladies could easily set up house together, and the worse they'd get is the occasional tut-tut about a 'Boston marriage'.

That was definitely accepted in almost all circles in those days. I came from a family of doctors and as a young teen in the era our family knew of several people, often other medical professionals who lived in a "Boston marriage" with no fuss. This was in America but I suppose no great difference in attitudes.