Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Hibernaculum

Nick and Hank are called to investigate a rare Wesen that leaves its victims frozen solid. Meanwhile, Juliette starts to feel that she is losing her humanity as she seeks to get revenge on Adalind. Elsewhere, Captain Renard continues to suffer from mysterious bleeding and visions while Monroe works toward coming to grips with the Wesenrein incident.

Best line this week per Rosalie: She's a Freakin' hexenbiest!

Actually Juliette is turning into a Hexien-bitch!

Poor Sean. He's living with a horney Julihexienbitch, bleeding, in pain and seeing visions of hell/heaven.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was putting the frozen dead guy in the taxi and scaring the hell out of that poor woman.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 8

Wow.

Interesting repitilian wesen. Glad Nick and the guys put the others back. Not sure how I feel about Nick currently. I get the expediency for the PD cases and it's not like he didn't do it at all in earlier seasons. I think it's in how Nick has changed. He's not bad, but something feels changed.

Loved Rosalee's private reaction to Juliette's news. Is it going to come down to a Henrietta vs. Rosalee  hex off?

Just wtf did Elizabeth ( Sean's mom) do to Renard?! Those demony hands gave a Legend flashback.

Kenneth is a little amusing, but not much.

Juliette needs to figure out what she wants and the previews have me anxious about next week. We may be getting what we wanted- an involved Juliette- but in the worst way possible. *sigh* I wish I could trust these writers. I am also tired of mopey-staring-at-pictures-Nick. It doesn't add anything and doesn't do anything except eat screentime.

It was good to see characters reacting to trauma they experienced. Moments of characterization in a half season of plotplotplot!  Rosalee is almost a saint and Monroe has got me angered on his behalf because his favorite thing- clocks- have been tainted by those asshats!

Next week looks interesting and I'm already waiting for it.

• Love 3

Actually Juliette is turning into a Hexien-bitch!

Poor Sean. He's living with a horney Julihexienbitch, bleeding, in pain and seeing visions of hell/heaven.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was putting the frozen dead guy in the taxi and scaring the hell out of that poor woman.

Grimm-dickery.

• Love 2

It was the facial expression and delivery that sold it, plus the fact that she managed to be reasonably calm while everyone was there and didn't allow the visible freakout until she was alone. But I think I could watch that one moment on a loop.

• Love 5

Even if the wesens are cold blooded, how is it that their body temperature when they die is much lower than ambient temperature? We can fanwank that their metabolism is endothermic, but that process shall stop at the time of death.

• Love 2

So, did Juliette/Renard actually hook-up and it just happened off-screen?  I mean, they began kissing, and by the time we checked back in, Renard was by himself shirtless and bleeding out of his bullet-holes again.  I was a bit confused.  Either way, it doesn't matter, I suspect.  It will probably excused by saying being a Hexenbeast is making Juliette all crazy, and they probably think it is on the same level with the whole "Nick slept with Adalind because he thought she was Juliette" thing.  All I know, is I want this stupid angst shit done with.  And free Renard.  Dude still acts like he has somehow become a prisoner in his own house.

At least both Monroe and Rosalee now know the truth.  Their reactions were as awesome as I hoped they would be.  Too bad this means now Juliette is openly blaming every single one of them.  Also loved Hank's reaction, where it looked like he just really wished the spice shop had backdoor he could just run out all "Have fun, guys!"

Interesting that Monroe is showing some trauma over what happened with the Cult Wesens, but I wonder why they waited several episodes to get to this?

The case of the week was alright; really enjoyed the final bits, with Nick, Hank, Monroe, and Wu dealing with all the hibernated Wesens.  Wu really is getting the crash course in Wesen fighting.  No training shoes for him, to say the least.

New Royal guy at least gets points for not putting up with Adalind's stupidity.  He is already over her, and they only just met.

• Love 2

...So, did Julliette/Renard actually hook-up...

I'm not sure. Anyone else?

...Interesting that Monroe is showing some trauma over what happened with the Cult Wesens, but I wonder why they waited several episodes to get to this?...

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that is not uncommon with PTSD. I'm guessing Monroe having the flashback means he has reached the point where the danger no longer feels imminent--which is a good thing. But I will be surprised if that is actually what we will see on the show.

My favorite line was when one of the Scooby gang asked what do the snake wessen do in their hibernaculum, and Monroe speculated, "Hibernaculate?" after which he and Rosalee exchanged a look like he had just said "have sex." And then, low and behold, the hibernaculum scene did look rather orgy-ish.

• Love 4

So, did Juliette/Renard actually hook-up and it just happened off-screen?  I mean, they began kissing, and by the time we checked back in, Renard was by himself shirtless and bleeding out of his bullet-holes again.  I was a bit confused.  Either way, it doesn't matter, I suspect.  It will probably excused by saying being a Hexenbeast is making Juliette all crazy, and they probably think it is on the same level with the whole "Nick slept with Adalind because he thought she was Juliette" thing.  All I know, is I want this stupid angst shit done with.  And free Renard.  Dude still acts like he has somehow become a prisoner in his own house.

Exactly, and unfortunately it's like a cancer to this series, still lingering around for seasons, it's gotten worse.  I just don't care about Juliette's problems or her blaming everyone else for something she willingly went along with to begin with (and she also chose to be with Nick after finding out about the Grimm/wesen stuff) or that's she's on another go around with Renard who has his own problems.

• Love 5

Well, crap...

I was about to just give up on this show and then they have to throw out a pretty darn good episode.  It wasn't the best, but still better than most. And it was quirky....I like quirky.  For a moment there, during the car chase, though, I almost forgot what show I was watching.

My random initial thoughts:

• Calling a great big BS on only 3 Gundersons being registered in North Dakota.  Have these people ever been to North Dakota?  You can't spit without hitting a Gunderson there (I know, small point....but really!)
  • I think I could deal with an evil Juliette.  However, I don't think I can deal with an evil Juliette and an evil Adalind.  At the same time, I don't think I could buy Adalind switching teams, so to speak.  This may be a problem for me down the road 

especially since some pictures were posted on Instagram that show Nick, Monroe, Rosalee, Bud (!!), and Adalind together in the second to last or last episode.

• Impressed with Silas Weir Mitchell's acting...I just hope they don't drop his PTSD symptoms like they drop so many other things.  That has potential for being a good secondary story line.
  • For the first time in a long time, the WotW story line was actually well thought out and strong enough to stand on its own.  Let's stick with that, okay?
  • Don't like Kenneth...not in the way I'm not supposed to like him (you know, he is a villain) but in the "get rid of this character" way.  Part of this might be due to casting.  The actor may be great, but I just can't buy him as some big baddie--he's just too, for lack of a better word, virginal looking.
  • Renard's vision of the other side was beyond cheesy.
  • The end of this episode reminded me of the zombies, which could have been annoying except the whole episode was so quirky that it sort of fit together.
  • I'm still in shock that this episode didn't suck.

At least both Monroe and Rosalee now know the truth.  Their reactions were as awesome as I hoped they would be.  Too bad this means now Juliette is openly blaming every single one of them.  Also loved Hank's reaction, where it looked like he just really wished the spice shop had backdoor he could just run out all "Have fun, guys!"

Last week, it really didn't make sense to me that Nick would tell Hank before Monroe and Rosalee.  However, it kind of does.  Let's take all the "not normal" stuff out of it.  If a couple were having trouble, it is natural that one of the parties would feel the need to confide in someone.  For Nick, the most mature choice (by mature, I mean not immature and petty) would be Hank.  Juliette has her own relationship with Monroe and Rosalee and for Nick to confide in them, he would put them in the middle.  However, Juliette really only has a relationship to Hank through Nick, so Nick could tell him and not put him in the middle.

Also, there is the small matter that Juliette blames ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE except herself.  Newsflash, Juliette--you're the one that took the hit from the bong hat.

• Love 3

••So many people around that could kill (& want to kill) Adalind & she's still alive. That's annoying as hell.

••I really liked the Wesen of the Week. These writers have quite the imaginations. That would be such a fun job! Also- seeing them in the books in the trailer is cool. I really wanna see the Wesen that plays the banjo. (I think it was a banjo.)

••I feel bad for Renard- he's always been a guy that's in control of himself. Now, he's losing it. As long as he ends up ok in the end, he can continue

to lose it as long as it means we get to keep seeing him shirtless!

•• I didn't think this was possible- but I've reached a new level of annoyance with this Juliette arc. For her to blame Monroe & Rosalee- that's just ridiculous to me. They would've done just about anything for her. It's not Nicks fault- but in a way, I can understand her blaming him. Well- she can blame him for the Hexen part of it. But the bitch part is ALL HER.

I was thinking & maybe Nick should move Aunt Marie's trailer. She knows where it is & who knows what she's capable of.

• Love 4

So, I'm also not liking the angst of Nick...it is so boring, but evil Juliette is kind of interesting I must say.  I actually think it might be fascinating to have Adalind switch sides.  One thing that they have never talked about in the Grimm-verse is do hexenbeists have to be evil?  I mean is it possible to be a "good witch?"  Just wondering because what would stop Juliet from cultivating her powers for good?  

Also, no one else has mentioned the preview so I just am going to say it ...

Hank becomes a Yaguarate? If that is the case that would leave only Wu of the Scooby Gang without powers and depending on how they handle that story line might we just say that Grimm is putting on a pair of water skis and about to jump over the proverbial shark?

Edited by xman4802
  • Love 2

What did Juliette mean when she said that sex with Renard was picking up where they left off? When did they start making out with each other? Or is that going back to a couple of seasons ago when they were obsessing?

• Love 1

BT just cannot carry this storyline. It's painful watching her. After four season, it's clear they will never quit trying to make Juliette work, but BT clearly is not improving.

The rest of the season is going to be Juliette focused, & I'm just not interested in her. I'm worried that after they have every episode being "OMG, Juliette is a Hexenbeist!", they'll have her cured, & next season will be all "OMG, I'm so sorry I was a bitch when I was a Hexenbeist!" & we'll end up with another season all about Juliette.

• Love 6

Adalind's dress was so short and ill fitting, I felt we might get a glimpse of her underwear.  I don't really want to see Adalind's underwear, thank you.  This story line is painful enough as it is.

That whole hibernaculum thing made no sense to me.  These creatures can't draw heat from their environment, such as a fire or a heater, but they can draw body heat from each other in the hibernaculum, which is...also part of their environment, right?

I hope they are not going to draw out Renard's gunshot issue for as long as they've drawn out the story with his weird European family.  Add me to the list of those unclear as to what transpired between him and Juliette.  As for Juliette, she can take a long walk off a short pier anytime now.  Yes she has issues and I get that but that doesn't excuse what she's doing.  I hate how she keeps startle-woging everybody.  That's really mean IMO.

• Love 6

I'm just spit-ballin', but I was thinking that the Varme Tyv were reptilian, that they were laying on a heated surface, like a water-heated floor? or going very primitive, heated rock slabs, not unlike lizards do?

I was actually wondering why there was frost/ice around the frozen person/wesen's hands? The first victim didn't have that around her hands, if I'm remembering correctly. It made no sense to me as the wesen or victim had their internal temp lowered/siphoned. I wouldn't think a person's body would "leak" water/fluids enough to freeze outside the skin, and especially not when the ambient temperature was above freezing. Yeah, I'm thinking too hard. Sorry.

As for next week? Hank better be okay, as well as Wu.

• Love 2

I'll comment more later, but before I forgot I wanted to mention that I had a good chuckle from the inventory scene. The two alkaloid-containing plants Rosalee casually mentioned as out of stock- banisteriopsis caapi and syrian rue- happen to be plants that are used in preparations of the extremely potent shamanic brew ayahuasca.

This medicine used by tribes along the Amazon basin contains as a natural ingredient the molecule dimethyltryptamine (DMT), which is considered the most powerful hallucinogen known to humankind. The effects (er, from what I've heard people say :) ) include transporting instantly to another dimension where you meet strange alien creatures.

It seems kind of fitting for this show... :)

• Love 8
  • Calling a great big BS on only 3 Gundersons being registered in North Dakota.  Have these people ever been to North Dakota?  You can't spit without hitting a Gunderson there (I know, small point....but really!)
I can't remember, did they say/imply all of North Dakota or just the town first-brother lived in/that general area?

Man that was just all kinds of stupid. And it was weirdly written because on the one hand it makes sense they were in the cars to get to the place fast, but at least one line was present about them "not lasting outside" or something to that effect, so between that and the "freeze to death next to a campfire" or whatever, the whole only body heat nothing else didn't make sense because they seemed to be implying if the three had stayed in the car (had it not died) the whole drive they'd be fine, and only because they split up to try to get three cars were they doomed. Unless they could share heat enough just by being in one car and not cozying up to each other.

Also what kind of morons are they that they had to wait until the mob following them started freezing to death to be all "well we only wanted the murderer guy, the rest are innocent". A) how do they know none of the others killed anybody on the way? Weirdly harsh condemning of the one dude and automatic assumption of innocence for allllllll the rest B) did they really actually think they could extract just the one guy without disturbing the rest? Their plan made no sense from the moment they broke that window. Also how were they going to explain that?

This episode was weird because, unlike some recent events, Nick seemed to sort of kind of maybe being policey about it? Even when he knew was dealing with Wesen? But then other moments treated as Grimm-ey. I mean I guess I have to accept that Wu and Hank being present does not necessarily mean they're being police about it, but the roadblock and all that...it was just a weird juxtaposition. Let's break windows! And then there's the stolen cab, stated as if, yay, extra evidence! But no way they could come up with an explanation of how they found it. They seemed to have recently been dealing specifically with the issue of how sometimes Nick chooses to handle something not as a cop but as a Grimm, but this one was sort of insufficiently either option. Too many logic holes. (which should really be the title at this point)

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 4

Based on what I have seen of Juliette as a hexenbiest and Adalind over four seasons, apparently becoming a hexenbiest turns you into a bratty bossy pain in the ass who blames everyone else for their problems.

there is the small matter that Juliette blames ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE except herself.  Newsflash, Juliette--you're the one that took the hit from the bong hat.

Ha, it's funny because it's true!

• Love 5

Two things I liked a lot about this.  One, Monroe's confiding in Rosalee, holding back tears.  Two, the photography of the roadblock and car chase.  Very impressive.  The rest, no.  Totally illogical as far as the wesen and how they handled it.  And hasn't it come to a tipping point in Portland police reporting by now with the burnt/frozen/eaten by vermin, etc. victims?  Why is no one all over this?  Anderson Cooper should be there by now.

• Love 6
And hasn't it come to a tipping point in Portland police reporting by now with the burnt/frozen/eaten by vermin, etc. victims?  Why is no one all over this?  Anderson Cooper should be there by now.

During this episode, I found myself thinking about BtVS and how they would blame random demon attacks on "teenagers on PCP." But what I was mostly thinking is that while there are lots of attacks you can blame on wild animals or wild teenagers or just Portland being weird, being frozen to death is not something that you can easily blame on something else. But for it to happen several times in a few days? There is nothing that anyone could come up with to plausibly explain that, especially since the first victim was on the phone with her daughter when it happened so they can't say that she was out for a hike and got lost and somehow froze in the night.

• Love 3

Adalind has her powers back and she has the ability to shriek loud enough to explode windows in a whole street of cars. We saw that when she found out her baby was gone.

So those are pretty awesome powers, right? She held her own in the fight with Juliette, she only lost because Juliette was stronger.

So why doesn't she use her powers to get away from the Royals who have been holding her captive for a long time?

Just a thought.

• Love 6

Rosalee is like, god-tier wife right now.

I'm really glad they're actually addressing aftereffects of the Wesenrein business. I was afraid there wouldn't be enough time for it, you know, with all the ANGST™.

So Juliet was just wondering down the street, doing her thing when suddenly, a wild Adalind appears! and she's all like grrrr, this bitch, so she just casually attempts to murder her and then goes about her business? When is the episode where both of them and all the royals get crushed to death by a freak meteor accident, again?

You know what I thought when she was doing her blame/pout session at the spice shop? "Damn, they're really going full Laurel Lance with her with this aren't they?"

"So what do we do with the rest of them?"

"We put them back?"

Love.

This episode felt like sorority girls having a snipe while the men went on a boys' night out.

Edited by Lii

That was an okay episode. It was predictable that they were going to end up waking everyone up. Also would it have already been winter? Because the Christmas episode was a while ago. If anything it would almost be spring.

I liked how Monroe was in this episode as well as Rosailee. It was nice to see them be active in the case.

As usual I hated Juliette and Adalind in this episode. I did like whatever his name's line to Adalind "if you don't stop screaming you will die."

• Love 2

During this episode, I found myself thinking about BtVS and how they would blame random demon attacks on "teenagers on PCP." But what I was mostly thinking is that while there are lots of attacks you can blame on wild animals or wild teenagers or just Portland being weird, being frozen to death is not something that you can easily blame on something else. But for it to happen several times in a few days? There is nothing that anyone could come up with to plausibly explain that, especially since the first victim was on the phone with her daughter when it happened so they can't say that she was out for a hike and got lost and somehow froze in the night.

I was actually sort of waiting the whole episode for the police to conclude the murderer must have poured liquid nitrogen all over the victims or something. Not that it makes sense that someone would just sit there and let someone do that, given how heavy those damn cannisters are, it's unlikely to be a speedy attack, but that's the only remotely plausible thing I could come up with. And then they just handwave the bites. Or rabid teenagers on PCP bite first to scare/disorient the victims, then use PCP-induced super strength to hoist giant cannisters of liquid nitrogen and pour it all over the victims. Yeah, there ya go. Solved it! I too can be a master detective for Portland PD. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 5

• The end of this episode reminded me of the zombies, which could have been annoying except the whole episode was so quirky that it sort of fit together.
The barn scene seemed to be totally ripped from The Walking Dead.

When Hank, Nick, and Wu ran out of the house and one of them yelled that there was no time to get to the cars, I yelled at my TV: Why not? And then it was all: To the barn! And I thought: Guys, you know nothing about that barn. But then it became clear that they were just staging TWD scenario.

...Also, there is the small matter that Juliette blames ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE except herself. Newsflash, Juliette--you're the one that took the hit from the bong hat.

Heh. True. She really is a teenager now.

...I was thinking & maybe Nick should move Aunt Marie's trailer. [Juliette] knows where it is & who knows what she's capable of.

Oh dear. But good point! I haven't seen them so much as snap a single picture of anything there.

The timeline in this show is crazy wonky. It's always winter, and adalind is always pregnant. Otherwise, the date is anyone's guess.

Thank you. I thought there was an actual explanation for why they were talking about "winter is coming" to explain the snake wessen behavior--like maybe they were visiting New Zealand or something. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

The barn scene seemed to be totally ripped from The Walking Dead.

When Hank, Nick, and Wu ran out of the house and one of them yelled that there was no time to get to the cars, I yelled at my TV: Why not? And then it was all: To the barn! .

That was hilarious. My husband and I were shouting HIDE BEHIND THE CHAINSAWS!!! at them.

• Love 8

I think it would be amusing if Dateline would show up in Portland to do an exposé on all the weird deaths/unsolved murders.  ...really confuse the viewers.  "Huh?  Dateline's on NOW?  But Grimm isn't over yet..."

I think they said the few Gundersons were in Dickinson, ND, not the entire state.

• Love 3

If only Grimm had the balls Sleepy Hollow did and was willing to kill off the character that was hated by most of the fans. Bitsie would be going on auditions right now.

Edited by caseylane
  • Love 7

So why doesn't she use her powers to get away from the Royals who have been holding her captive for a long time?

She could and she should.  But a couple episodes ago she was trying to figure how to get a royal daddy for this baby.  Adalind is truly addled.

So Juliet was just wondering down the street, doing her thing when suddenly, a wild Adalind appears! and she's all like grrrr, this bitch, so she just casually attempts to murder her and then goes about her business? When is the episode where both of them and all the royals get crushed to death by a freak meteor accident, again?

I think Juliette was stalking Adalind because she told Renard she was going to kill her, he said sure, okay, she's at the (can't remember name) hotel, so she headed there.  At least Renard was on board with it. 

And back to the wesen of the week, I like the idea of the liquid nitrogen proposed by theatremouse.  But it would still be hard to explain the frozen suspect in jail.  Speaking of crazy bad police work, the three cops rushing to the barn has to go down in the annals.  I don't like to think of Nick, Hank and Wu as stupid and that's how that looked.

• Love 1

What did Juliette mean when she said that sex with Renard was picking up where they left off? When did they start making out with each other? Or is that going back to a couple of seasons ago when they were obsessing?

My crackpot theory is that the is the "Adalind" coming out in her.  You see, this is what I think happened (which is pretty darn good, and thus probably not even close to what the writers wanted...)  When Nick initially de-hexed Adalind, he didn't actually "kill" her biest, just released it.  The biest somehow attached itself to him, trying to find a way to avenge itself.  In the meantime, Adalind gets "her" powers back by getting Frau Peche's biest (not an upgrade, by the way).  Then, when Nick does the Hokey/Pokey with Juliette as Adalind, the biest is able to go into (heh heh) Juliette, turning her into Adalind 2.0.  Because no one knew that the original Adalind biest was hanging around, they never foresaw this "side effect."  Now, Juliette's inner biest is out to ruin Nick's life for releasing her from her original host.

I told you it was a crackpot theory....

As for next week? Hank better be okay, as well as Wu.

I'm calling red herring on the whole Hank as Wesen thing. I can't believe the writers are dumb enough to go down this road AGAIN.

But, I also said that about Adalind being pregnant.....

I can't remember, did they say/imply all of North Dakota or just the town first-brother lived in/that general area?

I thought they said in the state....but even if they just said in the Dickinson area, I'd still call BS.  Dickinson is, in ND terms, a relatively big town and has a large population of Scandinavian descent.  Gunderson/Gundersen/ etc. is a very common name in that area.

• Love 9

I like the crackpot Adalind/Juliette theory, OtterMommy.  Now we just need Rosalee to figure this out because Henrietta is lying and Renard's mom is not a trusted expert given how her son's cure is turning out.

• Love 4

That was an okay episode. It was predictable that they were going to end up waking everyone up. Also would it have already been winter? Because the Christmas episode was a while ago. If anything it would almost be spring.

The answer to this point is obvious.  Grimm time.

I'm just spit-ballin', but I was thinking that the Varme Tyv were reptilian, that they were laying on a heated surface, like a water-heated floor? or going very primitive, heated rock slabs, not unlike lizards do?

I think the idea is that their combined body heat kept them warm. And under ordinary circumstances, they just need to be around another Varme Tyv to stay warm enough until winter when they need more than that and pile up in a group. Because Monroe said they were generally harmless so having to kill someone for their body heat isn't something they normally do. That said, I don't know why the house they were hibernating in was so cold. I guess a group of them, or a hive or whatever, draws all the heat from their surroundings.

Unfortunately, it's getting more and more ridiculous that every single week they have some odd, unexplainable case with a Wesen perpetrator. If Wesen related murders are that rampant other people would have figured it out by now. Like someone upthread says, someone from Dateline should  be here by now.

The Wesen cases need to slow the heck down, and all the crap with the Royals and the baby needs to speed the heck up. I don't know why they can't have a case stretch out over several episodes. And while I appreciate a shirtless Renard as much as anyone else, I'm tired of him standing there bleeding not knowing what's going on. I'm tired of endless conversations between Adalind and whatever Royal is babysitting her at the moment. Just what the hell is Kenneth doing all day long, anyway? Aren't they supposed to be looking for the baby? So they've got people out looking for the baby, why does he even need to be there?

• Love 3

Like someone upthread says, someone from Dateline should  be here by now.

Hell, the Wesen Council would have sent specialists to "clean-up" by now. If woge-ing to bilk folks out of cash via séance is worth killing over, pretty unexplainable mundane killings should be getting attention.

• Love 4

The "winter" thing is still a bullshit excuse though. First Monroe says external whatevers don't impact them, freeze by a a fire whatnot. So why should they be any colder during winter than not winter? Unless it's just they somehow maybe stockpile the heat from hibernating together just-so-happens in winter, and then by the time next winter rolls round they've used up their internal reserves from the hibernation recharge whatever. Or something.

I mean obviously there's magical mystical creatures involved on this show, but I do prefer them to at least have remotely consistent internal logic. Usually I'm ok if they're just vague about how things might work, such that maybe it makes sense or maybe it doesn't but they don't say enough one way or the other. With this creature they had to be too specific about it for the plot to work (explains why kill someone instead of just getting a coffee), but also by throwing in that extra specific detail, they also made the plot not work anymore either (outside is colder than inside a car but who cares if heaters don't impact them).

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 5

I'm not going to say a lot about Bitsie T can't act, at least in this role, because even her supporters haven't been very active recently.

The character of Juliette does seem to be acting like a petulant teen, and it could be because hexenbiests are naturally narcissistic blame-shifters who feel superior to others, enjoy messing with other people, and have powers unlike anyone else so they are able to really screw up other peoples lives.  At least that's the hexenbiests that we've been shown so far.  So Juliette could be acting out as a result of an overriding personality trait that hexenbiests have.

There might be other Hexens that aren't so touchy.  Renard started out trying to be the puppet master and has had to dial it back once Nick realized who Renard was, and then he had to adjust accordingly.  Then Hank found out about the Wesen, then Juliette, then Wu...  Renards goal of overthrowing the Royal family is constantly being sidelined by all those Regular people (and his Grimm) finding out more and more about the Wesen world.  Renard's mother showed up in time to save his life after being shot, but there seems to have been unintended consequences all over the place.  Are we only seeing the untalented Hexens here, or is all Hexen 'magic' so unpredictable?

Anyway, back to Juliette.  She's killed, and has had less remorse than expected, even though she killed someone who was trying to kill her.  She's actively trying to kill Adalind, and is happily using the hexenbiest powers to do it even though she says she just wants to go back to her normal self.  She seems to despise Nick, and blame him for her change.  She's actively pursuing Renard, but does she want him as a fellow hexenbiest who can help her, or is she trying to dominate him, or getting back at Nick?

Since Nick can't be killed, or the show will end, the question is whether Julliette will be voluntarily or forcibly changed back into her formal self, or will she join the other team?  I'd go for Julliette being killed off, but then we'd have to deal with Nick being all sad and angsty all the time.  Best result for me is that Jules is converted back into a regular human, and then she and Nick realize that they really don't like each other very much anymore, and Juliette leaves town.  Forever.

Now onto Adalind.  She's carrying the baby of a Grimm.  Is she hiding that fact because she fears that she'll be killed to prevent the baby from being born?  I doubt it, but what will happen if/when Nick finds out that he's soon to become a father?  He couldn't handle it when he found out that Juliette had become a hexenbiest, will he be able to accept that his least favorite Hexen in the world is about to have his child?  I suspect that the Royals will let Nick know he's about to become a daddy, and use that knowledge to force him to get his mom and Adalind's first baby to show up, at which point they plan to kill them all.

Since these Wesen seem to change and bite without control when they get hungry, I was thinking that it was incredibly dangerous to get close to them, since they could have attacked the guys, even half-conscious, while being picked up and close in contact with four warm bodies.

I don't know what was worse: Juliette's behavior or Adalind's roots.

I read somewhere that the actress playing Adalind is pregnant in real life. Is it safe to dye your hair when you're pregnant? Maybe that's the reason for the roots? IDK?

• Love 2

Now onto Adalind.  She's carrying the baby of a Grimm.  Is she hiding that fact because she fears that she'll be killed to prevent the baby from being born?  I doubt it, but what will happen if/when Nick finds out that he's soon to become a father?  He couldn't handle it when he found out that Juliette had become a hexenbiest, will he be able to accept that his least favorite Hexen in the world is about to have his child?  I suspect that the Royals will let Nick know he's about to become a daddy, and use that knowledge to force him to get his mom and Adalind's first baby to show up, at which point they plan to kill them all.

I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out this isn't Nick's baby after all.  It is no secret that this is a show that tries to give the fans--at least the ones on FB and twitter--what they want.  These fans, who are usually of the "OMG I luv this show #GrimmForever" ilk have actually been pretty vocal about NOT liking Adalind carrying Nick's baby.  I'm not saying I expect the writers to do a 180 on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

What would be crazy (possibly in a good way, though) is if not only did this baby turn out to be Renard's, it ALSO turned out to Juliette's.

• Love 1

I like it!

I'm not sure what the point is of having two characters who now have basically the same personalities in the show.

Back when Juliette started manifesting her powers, I wondered if the writers planned for her deciding to keep them, as they could be a useful tool to help Nick and keep her safe from the murderous Wesen who keep showing up at their house.  But given how mean and petulant a hexenfied Juliette has become (and the flash of human, scared Juliette that showed at the Spice Shop before she realized Nick was there highlighted that) I think now the end-game is for her to become dehexenfied.  Assuming they are not planning to get rid of the character entirely, which I hope not because I like normal, human Juliette quite a bit.  The writers keep not listening to me, darn it, but I'd really like to see an end to the relationship drama and have Nick and Juliette go back to a normal companionship, with Juliette doing her thing and occasionally helping the team out with veterinarian knowledge.

I too wondered why they didn't make it clear whether Renard and Juliette had sex, and that makes me wonder whether it was done on purpose, to allow a later reveal where Renard makes it clear he had no interest in her, presumably to an upset/suspicious Nick.  I can't think of another reason to not show that scene, unless it was cut for time.

I really enjoyed seeing Monroe join the police officers in the investigation; it's been a while since we've seen him that involved with Nick's investigations, and it was a nice call-back to season one.  Also, the four of them discussing what to do (before and after the mob attack) had me giggling.  Even if the specifics of how the Wesen stay warm gave me a headache.

• Love 3

Agree that Rosalie had the Line of the Week. And she is the spouse of the year; for a timid fox, more so.

One thing that they have never talked about in the Grimm-verse is do hexenbeists have to be evil?  I mean is it possible to be a "good witch?"  Just wondering because what would stop Juliet from cultivating her powers for good?

What about Henrietta? [Renard's referral for Juliette]

How does that kind of Wesen stay warm if, as Monroe said, they would freeze next to a fireplace (or something like that)? In that case, a car heater wouldn't work.

The physics of this episode make Fringe & Walter Bishop look rigorously logical.

Adalind's dress was so short and ill fitting, I felt we might get a glimpse of her underwear.  I don't really want to see Adalind's underwear, thank you.  This story line is painful enough as it is.

Just be glad Adalind is not acting out her inner Catherine Tramell....

When Nick initially de-hexed Adalind, he didn't actually "kill" her biest, just released it.  The biest somehow attached itself to him, trying to find a way to avenge itself....Now, Juliette's inner biest is out to ruin Nick's life for releasing her from her original host.

Are you sure those aren't body thetans?  If she does TBW2B's with Tom Cruise instead of Captain Renard, will she be cured? ....She can ask Katie for an introduction. [Then again, if the TC rumors are true, Katie might tell her she's wasting her time...]

Edited by Syme
  • Love 1

1. Would someone please scan the Book of Wesen already?
2. Enough with the flashbacks! I reached my tipping point in this episode. We're not morons, We can remember things from ep to ep.

The WotW made no sense. I did not understand how they would freeze to death out in the open, but in a house they were ok? Huh? Also, now that I'm thinking about it, it makes less sense for them to be of Scandinavian origin, where they live in long winters. So they hibernate most of the year? I'm done with Juliette and her pouting and hating on everyone. No one has rejected her for being a hexenbeist, but she's all "OMG you all hate me now that I'm a hexenbeist. WAAAH!"

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 4

My crackpot theory is that the is the "Adalind" coming out in her.  You see, this is what I think happened (which is pretty darn good, and thus probably not even close to what the writers wanted...)  When Nick initially de-hexed Adalind, he didn't actually "kill" her biest, just released it.  The biest somehow attached itself to him, trying to find a way to avenge itself.  In the meantime, Adalind gets "her" powers back by getting Frau Peche's biest (not an upgrade, by the way).  Then, when Nick does the Hokey/Pokey with Juliette as Adalind, the biest is able to go into (heh heh) Juliette, turning her into Adalind 2.0.  Because no one knew that the original Adalind biest was hanging around, they never foresaw this "side effect."  Now, Juliette's inner biest is out to ruin Nick's life for releasing her from her original host.

I wish you were on the writing team, because this would make sense.  Juliette is normally calm and level headed, and while I can understand her having a strong emotional reaction to her dilemma, it seems instead that they have decided to just give her a complete personality transplant.