Type keyword(s) to search

Kim Wexler: She Has a Two-Year Plan

• Start Topic

So twice in one day, Kim steeled herself for a very uncomfortable confrontation with someone because she believed it was the right thing to do, and twice she was accused of being the mouthpiece for the other party.

Hamlin: "Did your friend send you in here to say that?"

Jimmy: "You sure know where your bread is buttered, huh. Don't want to go up against the boss, is that it? You're like a damn pod person. What did Hamlin promise you? Please tell me he didn't buy you off cheap."

That's gotta sting x2.

• Love 6
(edited)

Kim brings up a question for me that I love:  Consciously, or not, you choose a profession riddled with deceit and evil.  Now, you have seen it in a deeply personal manner.  You now have the choice to stay, or go.  What does a "good person," do?

We've just finished the most significant week of the year for Christians.  Countless depictions of the hard choices its progenitor is said to have made were ubiquitous.  Following his example is darn difficult, eh?  I love the art of this show in that it forces us to consider 1)  If we should live by a code and 2)  What code should that be?  The brilliance of the show is in the consequences around these choices in ways rarely seen in television.

I'm not sure I fully buy Kim as a put upon, loner.  She is far too pretty for that.  I'm sure she learned to work damn hard to get through school and all.  However, it just doesn't ring true to me that she would choose to devote so much of her personal time and energies for Jimmy, who only recently earned any letters.  She learned "the game" in the HHM mail room.  She wouldn't have been playing it for all she's worth as an associate?

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 4

It is interesting to think about what Kim's code is and how she will act on it.  She only just found out that Chuck actively shut out Jimmy.  Up until now, she didn't seem to want to let on to Hamlin that she and Jimmy were in much contact.  But we know they have an easy friendship where she calls him when it's her turn for dinner and a movie.  She may be very conflicted about her own stepping up the ladder contrasted with Jimmy's obstacles.  I really hope we don't see her participate in some betrayal of Jimmy.  Because I like her and I wouldn't excuse her behavior if she did something backstabby just to stay in good with Howard.

• Love 1

It's husky.

The character does seem to alternate between kinda sorta sexy and kinda sorta quirky. Swings back and forth, as does her loyalty to Jimmy.

I don't remember her being disloyal. At least not yet. Now I'm afraid...

• Love 2

I'm wondering if we're going to see a Kim who is increasingly concerned about Jimmy next season.  I don't think she bought his sudden ability to deal with Chuck's betrayal at all.  And when she realizes Jimmy didn't team up with the other law firm I have a feeling she's going to be hearing alarm bells.  

Also, loved Jimmy's 'that was nice' in response to her hug.  I can't help it, I pretty much ship them. 

• Love 2

In "Marco," Jimmy said he pulled the Chicago sunroof on the guy who slept with his then-wife. In Breaking Bad, Saul said his second wife slept with his stepdad.

So I'm shipping Kim as Jimmy's third wife. (Keene? Gym?)

• Love 3

I don't remember her being disloyal. At least not yet. Now I'm afraid...

Me neither.  She has, however, not done everything Jimmy wanted her to do.  And that's why I get a little nervous when I see posts in the episode threads talk about hoping Kim doesn't betray Jimmy or that they dread the inevitable backstabbing.  What would that entail?  Does this mean she does something to purposely hurt Jimmy?  Or does it involve living her own moral code that's at cross purposes with Jimmy's life and is that really betrayal?  As of right now, I don't think she has come even close to betraying him other than not telling him the whole truth about Chuck.  Yet even there she did it to protect Jimmy and not hurt him.

I do think that what's in Kim's best interest and what Jimmy thinks is in his best interest will start to split as Jimmy morphs into Saul unless Kim decides to morph into Rivka Goodman.

• Love 4

‘Better Call Saul’ Q&A: Rhea Seehorn on Jimmy and Kim’s Relationship http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/better-call-saul-rhea-seehorn-interview-kim-wexler-1201453697/

I think it’s kind of awesome that they’ve written this woman who has her own ambition and is not just reactionary. She has a plan. Even if Jimmy adores her and she adores him, it’s not really fair to ask her to leave the firm. She’s indebted, and she has her own career she’s trying to map out. However, as you see in the scene [in 107, "Bingo"], it’s a subtle thing. It’s not about hurting him or not wanting to work with him, it’s about what’s best for Kim and trying to take care of that.

Better Call Saul Q&A – Rhea Seehorn (Kim Wexler) http://blogs.amctv.com/better-call-saul/2015/03/better-call-saul-qa-rhea-seehorn-kim-wexler/

All of our amazing writers and directors are writing this relationship [between Kim & Jommy] with deep intimacy, love and history. They’re not making it this thing that you can label. It’s not black and white, and I don’t think the most interesting relationships are. I find that great. It’s not hard to play what’s there. Kim is very much a character where what she doesn’t say is also what she says.

• Love 4
(edited)

I can't take her one lone Shirley Temple curl ponytail. Just STOP. Stop curling it like a pigs tail. Get a new hairstyle. Wear it down. Be adventurous. Or wear it in a bun or a French Twist. But for the love of all things holy, get rid of the lifeless curleyque ponytail.

It's husky.

The character does seem to alternate between kinda sorta sexy and kinda sorta quirky. Swings back and forth, as does her loyalty to Jimmy.

It's not husky, it's throaty. Scarlett Johannsen and Kathleen Turner are husky. Shakira and Kim Wexler are throaty. They both sound like a cross between a human woman and Kermit the Frog. Edited by Silo
  • Love 3

It's husky.

It's not husky, it's throaty. Scarlett Johannsen and Kathleen Turner are husky. Shakira and Kim Wexler are throaty. They both sound like a cross between a human woman and Kermit the Frog.

It's throaty?  It's husky?  It sounds phlegmy to me.  Like she really, really needs to blow her nose and cough up a lunger.  Very distracting.

• Love 2

It can also veer into whiny and quite nasal, especially when she's in scenes with Jimmy. 

I want to be more interested in her, and they are getting there a bit more lately, but I'm still kind of "meh."  Maybe that's not just because of the actress and the writing though, maybe it's because we already know Saul sans Kim from BB, so it's harder to be invested?  I hope that's not it, for me at least.

I can't take her one lone Shirley Temple curl ponytail. Just STOP. Stop curling it like a pigs tail. Get a new hairstyle. Wear it down. Be adventurous. Or wear it in a bun or a French Twist. But for the love of all things holy, get rid of the lifeless curleyque ponytail.

I know what you mean--it's distracting--but somehow I've come to really like it.
  • Love 1

I'm dying to know what her backstory is after her interview with Schweikart last week. She was very vague about where she was from. Something tells me there's a story there.

Same. She was clearly not at all excited to reveal any details from that time period.

Also, can we just call her voice "hinky dinky?"

• Love 2

Same. She was clearly not at all excited to reveal any details from that time period.

Also, can we just call her voice "hinky dinky?"

I think that would be a great name for her ponytail.

• Love 7

It's definitely a smoker's voice to me, with an added Midwest twang which makes it like scratching nails on a chalk board, at times.

Her voice mostly doesn't bother me, it is just a lower register, but occasionally it grates.  She appears to be really inhaling in her smoking scenes so I'm thinking smoker's voice as well.  I think her character is interesting and the acting is good.  I feel like she may be gone at any time based on Jimmy messing things up, but then again, she may be one of these characters that is intended to be shorter-term but ends up being in the story for a long time.  Her vague origins could come into play. 

(edited)

I really like this character a lot !  

IMO it's REFRESHING to hear a different voice and accent.  I'm incredibly sick of the California/Valley girl (whatever you call it, think Kardashian) accent that is all too prominent on TV.  

And she doesn't say "like" or "literally" every fucking 2 seconds.   

And she's her own woman.

And she's trying to do the right thing.

And she works hard.(no time for new fangled hairdos. <- For this character I like the ponytail. NO muss, no fuss)

And she digs Jimmy.

And she drives a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Team Kim ! 

eta:

And she runs in heels better than Carrie Bradshaw.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 10

I like the character she portrays and agree that it's heartening to see a female character get fully fleshed out and not only be a muse or love interest. That said, her voice and ponytail still annoy me lol.

• Love 3

Her voice mostly doesn't bother me, it is just a lower register, but occasionally it grates.  She appears to be really inhaling in her smoking scenes so I'm thinking smoker's voice as well.

The fact that she seems to know how to smoke realistically implies she at least smoked at some time in her life, but I'm pretty sure health laws now require on-screen cigarettes to be tobacco free, so they would not be effecting her voice.

I have a pretty annoying, nasal-sounding, mid-register voice myself, so hers sounds okay to me--but it's not a voice to love listening to, like Jonny Lee Miller's. When I speak to classes, I have an ability to insert humor into dry presentations on the fly without even thinking about what I'm saying until they laugh; fortunately my odd voice goes with this sort of thing. I think Kim's voice (and the actor's) goes well with her looks, but it can be a bit jarring when she first starts speaking.

• Love 2

That voice.  I can't imagine Kim whispering "sweet nothings" in a guy's ear.  However, I can imagine her barking at the poor guy to take his pants off.

I would comply.

• Love 4

I love Kim.  She is one of the few well written complex female characters on television.  She feels like a flesh and blood human being with strengths and weaknesses.  Kim could have easily had the thankless job of Jimmy's straight man, but she is much more then that.  You understand why she loves Jimmy, even though he is usually nothing but trouble.  You could tell Kim saw right through Chuck's patronizing mannerism, when he was trying to give her "the good advise of staying away from Jimmy".  I am interested most in her story, because she is one of the few main characters (with the exception of Chuck), whose story is not continued on Breaking Bad.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I love Kim.  She is one of the few well written complex female characters on television.  She feels like a flesh and blood human being with strengths and weaknesses.  Kim could have easily had the thankless job of Jimmy's straight man, but she is much more then that.  You understand why she loves Jimmy, even though he is usually nothing but trouble.  You could tell Kim saw right through Chuck's patronizing mannerism, when he was trying to give her "the good advise of staying away from Jimmy".  I am interested most in her story, because she is one of the few main characters (with the exception of Chuck), whose story is not continued on Breaking Bad.

I like her a lot, too.  I hope she ends up relatively unscathed.  Didn't Saul once mention having two ex-wives on Breaking Bad?  So far, we haven't had evidence of him being married even once, have we?  So there's that as a possibility yet. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I like her a lot, too.  I hope she ends up relatively unscathed.  Didn't Saul once mention having two ex-wives on Breaking Bad?  So far, we haven't had evidence of him being married even once, have we?  So there's that as a possibility yet. 

There is also the more likely possibility that Saul was just BSing Walt with the two ex-wives speech. Dude lies all the time to get people onside.

I dread the eventual downfall of Kim and Jimmy. But I fully expect it, and would be disappointed if they get a happy ever after. Hoping for a few more small victories together before the inevitable. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, SignGuy77 said:

I dread the eventual downfall of Kim and Jimmy. But I fully expect it, and would be disappointed if they get a happy ever after. Hoping for a few more small victories together before the inevitable. 

Even though I love Kimmy and Jimmy, he really is not going to be any good for her when he morphs into Saul.  Hell, it would be embarrassing for her to share an office with someone like that and retain clients like Mesa Verde.

• Love 6

Briefly, did we ever hear something about Kim being from Arizona or going to school there? I'm probably nuts but just caught a little bit of dialogue about Saul having a grade school crush who moved to Scottsdale, during my BB rewatch.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, kieyra said:

Briefly, did we ever hear something about Kim being from Arizona or going to school there? I'm probably nuts but just caught a little bit of dialogue about Saul having a grade school crush who moved to Scottsdale, during my BB rewatch.

I don't recall as much but I missed the dialogue about the crush so I could have easily missed this too.  I do recall that Kim is from a very small town in the midwest...and when asked why she left, she said she wanted more.  Seems that would imply she moved when she was older.  But, the idea of a connection is interesting.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

My best hope for Kim is that she spends the BB years in a federal penitentiary.  Preferably one near Utica. 

That would break my heart (better than death I suppose....although maybe not).  I'm a big Kim fan. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2
On 6/2/2017 at 11:33 PM, kieyra said:

Kim is from a little town in Kansas, near the Nebraska border.  I am not sure where she went to school.  

On 5/2/2017 at 0:54 PM, SignGuy77 said:

There is also the more likely possibility that Saul was just BSing Walt with the two ex-wives speech. Dude lies all the time to get people onside.

I also think Jimmy and Kim will not be an item much longer.  That said, it might be an interesting twist if they stay together and perhaps even get married and Kim gets sucked into being Saul's, "Skyler" for a while, maybe even helping him launder money.  Kim (or was it Giselle?) was, after all, the one who came up with "Ice Station Zebra Associates".  

• Love 1

Kim was reluctant to become law partners with Jimmy, I don't know why she would get herself into another kind of legal entanglement with him.  At least I hope she doesn't.  She's currently looking disenchanted with Jimmy and that's hard to reverse.  I don't see the need for any kind of spousal privilege or immunity since she is already his attorney and their communications are privileged. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, scenario said:

Can someone be forced to testify against their spouse in court? 

Normally, the person who is testifying holds the privilege, but, neither can be compelled to testify against the other.  There are some exceptions like in lawsuits against each other and in cases where child abuse is involved. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, scenario said:

Can someone be forced to testify against their spouse in court? 

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Normally, the person who is testifying holds the privilege, but, neither can be compelled to testify against the other.  There are some exceptions like in lawsuits against each other and in cases where child abuse is involved. 

Actually, the privilege only relates to things that one spouse tells another, or something that the testifying spouse is only in a position to know because of the relationship.  It doesn't cover pre-marital information, and it doesn't cover anything that one spouse sees or hears on their own.  The idea of privilege is to encourage married people to speak honestly to each other, but it doesn't prevent them from testifying against each other about crimes one spouse observes the other spouse do.  If that wasn't true, then abused spouses could never prosecute their abusers.  

Also, the privilege in court belongs to both spouses, but as the testifying spouse is presumed to be willing to waive it, it is up to the non-testifying spouse to assert the privilege.

• Love 4